Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ukle
Nov 28, 2005
RMT has announced 3 train strikes for end of May. Great timing and now will frame in peoples mind Labours manifesto with strikes, they really should have waited a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'm sure Khan is probably spitting bullets about the expansion of stamp duty into derivatives.

Personally not sure post-Macron's victory and with an EU exit looming its wise to push for a more robust unilateral Tobin tax tbh

Edit: I mean it sounds good and the principle is sound, just a case of possible bad timing really

I mean you could wait for "the right time" & quickly realise that the vested interests will ensure the right time never comes around. Or you could do it and hope that others follow your lead.

Obviously it'd be better if we were still in the EU, but you can say that about most things.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

ukle posted:

RMT has announced 3 train strikes for end of May. Great timing and now will frame in peoples mind Labours manifesto with strikes, they really should have waited a few days.
That is bad for Labour - the public tends to sympathise more with commuters than they do rail workers, and won't make the logical step that a Labour government focusing on workers' rights would = less strikes. They just see Labour = support for strikes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The strikes are happening under the current government, not Labour.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I mean you could wait for "the right time" & quickly realise that the vested interests will ensure the right time never comes around. Or you could do it and hope that others follow your lead.

Obviously it'd be better if we were still in the EU, but you can say that about most things.

Its just pushing through a more aggressive financial transaction tax at a time when you are actively trying to hold onto financial services, which a large chunk of economy requires, who are actively being poached by near neighbours with access to a larger market might not be great.

It might not feel great but its one of those Brexit economic calculations you have to make

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Labour mayor though

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ronya posted:

Labour mayor though

One of the strikes is on Merseyrail and another is Arriva Rail North.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is true, but my same point about the electorate not making that logical step applies. Many people see the Tory party as the party that will stand up to the Unions and break the strikes (rather than the cause), and Labour as the party that supports strikes.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 16, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Its just pushing through a more aggressive financial transaction tax at a time when you are actively trying to hold onto financial services, which a large chunk of economy requires, who are actively being poached by near neighbours with access to a larger market might not be great.

Are we trying to hold onto financial services? Should we be?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Don't they prop up our economy?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

massively.

Alternatively they'll do what they always do; gently caress off for six months and come crawling back when they can't get good cocaine anymore

e; having said that this isn't a problem in France

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spangly A posted:

Alternatively they'll do what they always do; gently caress off for six months and come crawling back when they can't get good cocaine anymore

lol if you don't think you can get good coke in Europe

e: yeah that's more like it

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

The sector accounts for something like 5% of the UK's workforce and 10% of HMRC's tax receipts. In 2016 it contributed 7% of the value of the UK's economy.

Even if the sector is one of the worst for lining the pockets of the rich and only a small part of the wealth "trickles down" - it is such an important chunk of the UK economy that losing it would be bad.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Julio Cruz posted:

lol if you don't think you can get good coke in Europe

depends where. Some of the banks *did* move to Switzerland, and they *did* come crawling back citing difficulty holding employees for "lifestyle reasons".

Like I say in Paris or Berlin this is a non-issue but bankers tend to be tax greedy by definition. If they pick Ireland/Switzerland again, the cycle will repeat.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

who's this 'we', kemosabe

Edinburgh also has financial center aspirations

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Regarde Aduck posted:

"Prop up" would suggest they are the strength that everything else leans on, rather than the glossy paint on top that covers up the cracks. Our economy is in the poo poo which is why wages and investment are so stagnant, but as long as the housing bubble doesn't burst and nobody looks too closely at what the banks are doing there's enough to fudge the numbers with and shout "strong economy" about.

Thing is, nobody has done anything to reduce the risk of another financial crisis, and the housing bubble can't last forever. I think that's the most depressing part of this election - not just that the Tories are unlikely to be ousted, but even if by some miracle Corbyn wins there's a good chance another financial crisis will come along that the Tories can then blame on Labour for another decade or two. And if that crisis hits during a Tory government instead, they'll just use it as an excuse to cut back even more cruelly than they already have.

PIGS BREXIT
Mar 29, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

51% say no

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ronya posted:

who's this 'we', kemosabe

Edinburgh also has financial center aspirations

Another thing Edinburgh has in common with London is it's awful.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/05/16/what-the-hell-is-labour-s-brexit-policy-part-1-467

quote:

In truth, Corbyn's Brexit proposals are even more misleading than May's. At least the prime minister is now willing to say clearly and plainly that she's not staying in, even if did take her months. Corbyn is still playing this infuriating softly-softly approach where he refuses to actually say what his policy is.

Leaving the single market is one of the most risky economic decisions a British government has undertaken in the modern era. The least the public deserves is for a party to state explicitly that that is the policy it is pursuing.

But regardless of clarity, today was the day that Labour made it clear, without any doubt whatsoever, it supports hard Brexit.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

forkboy84 posted:

drat that's some biting commentary right there

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

drat that's some biting commentary right there

It's also wrong. I much prefer London to Edinburgh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

And another thing the SNP have in common with the Tories is they want to become a tax haven after they break away.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Jedit posted:

And another thing the SNP have in common with the Tories is they want to become a tax haven after they break away.

it is, to be fair, pretty dang meaningless for a small open economy of 4-5 million people to pretend it has substantive macroprudential authority

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Emily Thornberry dealing very well with Eddie Maire on PM right now, he's grilling her on all the manifesto detail plus JC's benefits freeze gaff (or whatever it is). She's actually getting better and better at these, I'm a lot more impressed with her now than I was a year or so ago. She's had to deal with a lot of lovely interviews and I think she's got to the point where she is basically unflappable. Wish I was still in her constituency!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Gosh hadn't realised that SNP government was the only outcome of independence

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I just got off a Southern train that had a big exterior bit of one of the offside doors hanging loose and flapping around everwhere. No conductor on board (i checked) and no guards at the station i changed at, so gently caress it lol. I certainly feel like safety is Southern's #1 priority.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Labour manifesto is really good and so far has been pitched just about perfectly as well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Gosh hadn't realised that SNP government was the only outcome of independence
The SSP will rise again.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

quote:

Thing is, nobody has done anything to reduce the risk of another financial crisis, and the housing bubble can't last forever. I think that's the most depressing part of this election - not just that the Tories are unlikely to be ousted, but even if by some miracle Corbyn wins there's a good chance another financial crisis will come along that the Tories can then blame on Labour for another decade or two. And if that crisis hits during a Tory government instead, they'll just use it as an excuse to cut back even more cruelly than they already have.
Banks are doing a ton of dodgy poo poo all the time, but its conduct-related (being evil) rather than prudential (being reckless). There's been huge changes in banking to limit the risk of another financial crisis and they absolutely hate it. It's genuinely not like how it was in the noughties. Can never say never, and like you say, overheated housing market, but there isn't going to be a crash the same size for the same reason in the short to medium term imo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

The SSP will rise again.

I'm hoping that was deliberate, what the SSP electoral pact with RISE at the last Holyrood election.

But nah, at this point the hope of the Scottish left is the Greens. Who aren't perfect but are still better than all the other alternatives with a chance of actually winning seats.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jesus Christ if true.

https://twitter.com/sirpauljenkins/status/864243464883625984

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
15 years ago I made the first big politically motivated act of my life by joining the protests against the invasion of Iraq.
Yesterday I made the second - I went canvassing with the red team round a fairly rough part of town in the pissing rain.
It was actually not that bad.
I thought it'd be more argumentative but it was mainly about saying hi to the supporters and showing a bit of presence.
There was one scary bodybuilding type whose eyes seemed to pop out of his head when I asked him if he wanted a flyer, but he didn't mash me into the doorstep so I count that as a win.
Mainly though, people were either nice, not voting, or pretending to not be at home.
It's worth doing, it's not difficult, it only lasts a couple of hours and it's happening near you right now. Give it a try.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I did door to door for years and never got poo poo. People are generally nice face to face. On the phone half the uk told me to gently caress off though and the internet is the internet.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Fans posted:

I did door to door for years and never got poo poo. People are generally nice face to face. On the phone half the uk told me to gently caress off though and the internet is the internet.

gently caress OFF

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Here is Sir Henry's blog where he explains it -

https://sirhenrybrooke.me/2017/05/15/mandatory-reconsiderations-and-the-rule-of-law/

quote:

New statistics have shown that in 87% of these mandatory reconsiderations the original decision is upheld. Now we have learned, through the response to a Freedom of Information request, that one of the DWP’s Key Performance Indicators – a management device through which the relevant civil servants’ achievements and promotion prospects are measured – is that the decisions in at least 80% of these cases should be upheld in the department’s favour following mandatory reconsideration.

This appears to be an absolutely outrageous interference by the executive with the rule of law.

It is bad enough that applicants are compelled to go through this process, instead of merely having the opportunity to opt for it as a way of trying to avoid the cost and hassle of tribunal proceedings. But it is altogether unspeakable that DWP managers seek to incentivise those who turn these applications down – and what is more, they do not make this policy public.

If we had anything like the press we had even 10 years ago this could bring a government down, but expect it to be largely ignored. In plain terms this is corruption, and their might be a slim chance it is falling foul of a law.

ukle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 16, 2017

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'm loving the Tory response to the Labour manifesto, because it's so cliched and loving predictable.

They're probably worried because the very people they've been protecting from taxation might have to bite a loving bullet.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think they're that worried.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The most favorable way I can read that is that if >20% of your decisions are overturned at reconsideration then you go into the low performing group i.e. it's a measure for the original assessor, not the person doing the reconsideration.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Looke posted:

gently caress OFF

But I love you all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Looke posted:

gently caress OFF

rude

• Locked thread