Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Anecdotal evidence and all, but I've played standard for the first time since Zendikar (minus Murdergoats before it rotated on MTGO) with LSV's monoblue Engulf the Shores, and Marvel was all I faced tonight at my local shop. The games were fun, and I felt like I had the right answers if I could draw them, but holy poo poo I hope the format gets more diverse at this shop.

I guess I want to know who's playing what with their gearhulks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Lands that allow a T3 Visions/Tower. If I have 2 of the 3 pieces needed and I have an Anticipate I'll usually keep it.

I'll mull if I can't do anything the first 3 turns. Granted, I'm not a PT or GP or Open player but my FNM has like 20+ people a week with all kinds of brews, aggro, control and a few T1 poo poo so I'm not looking for an intense nut draw every game.

edit: do you play on MTGO? (lol)

Cool, this is good information.

I do play on MTGO (:smithicide:).

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 16, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

Anecdotal evidence and all, but I've played standard for the first time since Zendikar (minus Murdergoats before it rotated on MTGO) with LSV's monoblue Engulf the Shores, and Marvel was all I faced tonight at my local shop. The games were fun, and I felt like I had the right answers if I could draw them, but holy poo poo I hope the format gets more diverse at this shop.

I guess I want to know who's playing what with their gearhulks?

If you want diverse, play modern.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
That'd be cool if new Nicol Bolas is as strong as Ugin for EDH purpose (and maybe in Grixis Control)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

myDad posted:

That'd be cool if new Nicol Bolas is as strong as Ugin for EDH purpose (and maybe in Grixis Control)

That and I can use him as a Commander.

And that I am graced with foil bolas lands in the Grixis colors.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Count Bleck posted:

That and I can use him as a Commander.

And that I am graced with foil bolas lands in the Grixis colors.

I bet he's 5 color :twisted:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So how long until we see decks running flaying tendrils to hose zombies?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

DangerDongs posted:

Personally I'm much more of casting Sweltering Suns with Kalitas out and then losing every other matchup.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DangerDongs posted:

By the time a deck casts that, those zombies have a good chance of being 3/3's, though.

ThePeavstenator posted:

Personally I'm much more of casting Sweltering Suns with Kalitas out and then losing every other matchup.

Finally BR Vampires' time to shine

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Even a new powerful Bolas wouldn't be as obnoxious as Ulamog since it wouldn't do anything at instant speed off marvel.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
What's the consensus on the Bolas?

We getting a Creature or Walker version?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Dark Intimations says planeswalker.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Hopefully we're getting a Bolas planeswalker that ETB 1 loyalty counter away from some badass ultimate, so that Dark Intimations can go from fifteen cents to fifteen dollars.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

bigperm posted:

Dark Intimations says planeswalker.

I forgot that was even a spell.

Guess it's a PW

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope he's actually castable this time

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheKingofSprings posted:

He will be easily for as long as Oath of Nissa remains in standard at least.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

So, uh, three months?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly I'm ready as gently caress for 5 colour royal rainbow Bolas

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly I'm ready as gently caress for 5 colour royal rainbow Bolas

I think Nicol Bolas is going to have 5 Mana symbols but not be all colors

Elyv fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 16, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

By the time a deck casts that, those zombies have a good chance of being 3/3's, though.

Finally BR Vampires' time to shine

Wouldn't an early Flaying Tendrils kill the lord, and in turn make them all 2/2 again? The mastery would protect everything but crypt breakers and wanderers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

Wouldn't an early Flaying Tendrils kill the lord, and in turn make them all 2/2 again? The mastery would protect everything but crypt breakers and wanderers.

The lord is a 2/3.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Elyv posted:

I think Nicol Bolas is going to have Mana symbols but not be all colors

Definitely this. You could make a case for Bolas being white in the set about the plane he is the God-Pharaoh of but he'll never be green. Green is about returning things to their natural state and Bolas is about as far from that as you can be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think there is zero chance they make a Nicol Bolas planeswalker that is not playable in someone's Nicol Bolas EDH deck.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

The lord is a 2/3.

Welp, scratch that plan of mine.

He is the power creep of lords. Lord of the Undead and Death Barron were 2/2. Pretty much all lords were 2/2, and then here comes this guy dodging flaying tendrils and poo poo.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 16, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jabor posted:

The lord is a 2/3.

That's why Chandra 6 is so well positioned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DangerDongs posted:

Welp, scratch that plan of mine.

He is the power creep of lords. Lord of the Undead and Death Barron were 2/2. Pretty much all lords were 2/2, and then here comes this guy dodging flaying tendrils and poo poo.

Where's my 2/3 Merfolk lord so I can stop getting blown out by Pyroclasm.

I bet it's in Ixalan

Edit: Nevermind Ken Nagle is co-leading it I am beyond good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Pay five mana and tap an additional land to get five mana. It's like a super Shimmering Grotto.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Where's my 2/3 Merfolk lord so I can stop getting blown out by Pyroclasm.

I bet it's in Ixalan

Edit: Nevermind Ken Nagle is co-leading it I am beyond good.

I want a 2/3 merfolk lord and a cursecatcher with flying. (judge's familiar but with merfolk typing)

Than I could die happy. (or at least play modern happily)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Madmarker posted:

I want a 2/3 merfolk lord and a cursecatcher with flying. (judge's familiar but with merfolk typing)

Now you've got me paranoid that Merfolk is going to become a thousand-dollar deck in six months.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Star Man posted:

Now you've got me paranoid that Merfolk is going to become a thousand-dollar deck in six months.

Heh, I wouldn't worry about it....as it is, the deck is still only around 500-600 depending on your exact build. I can't see the deck rising much more than that even if we get my wish list cards. (like a 2/1 for U that turns target land into an island as long as (cardname) is on the battelfield)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The "tier 1" section of MTG Salvation's Modern subforum has 14 decks now. The People's Format.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Madmarker posted:

My friend, have you heard of a sick nasty tribal card called Mausoleum Wanderer?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Voyager I posted:

My friend, have you heard of a sick nasty tribal card called Mausoleum Wanderer?

Oh yeah, great card.....I just don't like the spirit tribe nearly as much as I like my fish.

But yeah, spirits gets mausoleum wanderer......which is awesome, I like when tempo-tribal decks are powerful.

But come on WOTC give merfolk some love, we haven't gotten a new card since Origins.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Oops wrong thread

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just want one good merfolk from Ixalan and I'm fine.

Harbinger of the Tides almost never feels good to play anymore.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Personally I'm holding out for another playable one-drop spirit so I don't have to run loving Serum Visions in my UW Spirits deck for modern. I'd even be fine with a functional reprint of Wanderer so I could play 6-7 of them. When that card is good, it's soooo good.

C'mon Wizards, give me a 2/1 flyer for W that makes me reveal a spirit from my hand or pay 2 or something. You already printed Delver so it's not even like it'd be moving the bar.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 16, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Voyager I posted:

Personally I'm holding out for another playable one-drop spirit so I don't have to run loving Serum Visions in my UW Spirits deck for modern. I'd even be fine with a functional reprint of Wanderer so I could play 6-7 of them. When that card is good, it's soooo good.

Don't play Serum Visions anyway. That card is terrible.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Voyager I posted:

C'mon Wizards, give me a 2/1 flyer for W that makes me reveal a spirit from my hand or pay 2 or something. You already printed Delver so it's not even like it'd be moving the bar.

Uhhh first faeries deserves a 1 drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Don't play Serum Visions anyway. That card is terrible.

I have a hard time seeing why you play Serum Visions unless you are playing a deck like Grixis Shadow. But then again I don't cast blue spells like ever so the entire concept of that color is beyond my ken.