Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

This is one of the best loving things ever.

The Falcons need to now make one with a Jalen hologram blowing up Jameis :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

weird Asian candy posted:

The Falcons need to now make one with a Jalen hologram blowing up Jameis :allears:

https://youtu.be/Oo6nPyv5bNY

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Trigger Warning, bro.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
https://twitter.com/TooEasy59/status/794379545696575489

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Riley Cooper and Blake Sims at RB are getting tryouts for the Bucs.

https://twitter.com/JennaLaineESPN/status/860536322628370432

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/860237338412232710

Praise Allah

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Pershing posted:

We live in a world where the Browns exist is all im saying.

I get what you're saying, but the Saints really were that bad for a long time.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Get hyped!

https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/861589141791879169

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I don't know if I'm ready for the Bucs to be relevant again...

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I don't know if I'm ready for the Bucs to be relevant again...

Its been long enough.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

When the Bucs play in Buffalo I am gonna be in the stands with inflatable crab legs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Kinda miffed that this will be the second time the Bucs play the Bears since I moved to Chicago and both games have been in Tampa.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
NFCS Incest

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/861993088612544512

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

:lol: Mike Smith sure loves his former players

Bobby was really good for like a year. Him and DeCoud I thought were going to be so much more than they ended up being. I believe DeCoud went to Carolina before he found his way out of the league.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

McClain is serviceable.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I doubt he winds up as more than a backup anyway.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Probably a better starter than their midget first rounder.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
McClain is no doubt a decent reserve corner.

There is no upside there, however, so it's best to just draft a young guy and coach him into something.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hopefully Grimes doesn't die this year or else the secondary will turn in to trash in a hurry.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

wandler20 posted:

Hopefully Grimes doesn't die this year or else the secondary will turn in to trash in a hurry.

He's due for a groin tear.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Chilichimp posted:

He's due for a groin tear.

With Miko around its a wonder he still has one

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Raku posted:

With Miko around its a wonder he still has one

Those deep massages do wonders.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/dan-quinn-falcons-super-bowl-loss-patriots

quote:

After a thorough review of the film, the third-year Falcons coach knows exactly why his team was unable to finish off New England: His defense was simply too tired.

Via The Atlanta Journal Constitution:

“It wasn’t about one play,” he said. “Those (defensive series) are the ones I evaluated over and over. When you go back and sit through it over and over, you know, ‘I drat sure can’t get a do-over. But I can learn from it.’ I won’t apologize for how aggressive we play and our style and attitude of where we’re headed. But I have learned from that experience.”

He didn’t get specific, but said, “I could have made it easier on them with design (changes). I could’ve changed the scenarios.”

We came to the same conclusion in our in-depth review of the game, which you can read here. Quinn’s initial defensive game plan (playing a lot of man coverage with an extra defender lurking in the middle to take away the Pats’ quick passing game) was far too taxing on his players, and the defense did not have enough depth to employ such an aggressive strategy for 60-plus minutes.

“The guys were gassed. We had never played in the 90s (snap count). We were not traumatized at all. You could tell there was nothing left in the tank. They would come to the sideline in the fourth quarter and nobody was talking because there was nothing left.”

Also maybe not snapping the ball in the second half with a zillion seconds left or taking dumb sacks.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/05/dan-quinn-falcons-super-bowl-loss-patriots

Also maybe not snapping the ball in the second half with a zillion seconds left or taking dumb sacks.

The sack wasn't on Ryan. Freeman completely whiffed on the block. No one in their right mind can blame that loss on Matt Ryan. He had a perfect passer rating late into the game and was the better QB...

The offensive gameplan in the second half was god awful plain and simple. RUN. THE. BALL. To only run the ball five times in the second half with such a big lead is inexcusable. They run the ball at all in the second half they win the game. The thing that sucks the most is sooooooooooooo many things had to go right and wrong for that comeback. Dropping back to pass instead of running, penalties, snapping the ball with :20 on the clock, tipped balls that miraculously find their way into Patriot's receiver's hands, dropped interceptions, etc. etc. I mean, it sums it up perfectly to say the Falcons lost the Superbowl without ever being down until it was over. Such a Falcons way to lose.

I do hold DQ accountable for not putting an end to Shanahan's aggressive play calling, but I can kind of understand riding the wave that got you there. If Freeman picks up the block, Ryan probably hits a wide open Gabriel for a huge gain. If they continue to run the ball, they take time off the clock and force NE to take time outs, kick the field goal and odds are Bryant hits it to go up 11 with little time. It was just a comedy of events.

All that said, and I may be viewing through rose colored glasses, but I don't think this team is going anywhere and I like what they are building especially on the defensive side of the ball. I think they will be back soon, but ya never know.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The thing that sucks the most is sooooooooooooo many things had to go right and wrong for that comeback. Dropping back to pass instead of running, penalties, snapping the ball with :20 on the clock, tipped balls that miraculously find their way into Patriot's receiver's hands, dropped interceptions, etc. etc.

Proof that Satan is real and that Belichick knows the proper rituals.

Which also means that Eli is Jesus reborn.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Proof that Satan is real and that Belichick knows the proper rituals.

Which also means that Eli is Jesus reborn.

Yep and proof that.....................the nfl is scripted

:ninja:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vince McMahon wishes he could write as well as the NFL does.

Nov 6, 2002

It's worth mentioning the Falcons running game in the second half was not exactly productive:

-3 yards
5 yards
0 yards
9 yards
-3 yards
-1 yards
8 yards
1 yard
2 yards
-1 yard

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's clearly because dan Quinn counted out tom "touchdown tom" Brady.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

It's worth mentioning the Falcons running game in the second half was not exactly productive:

-3 yards
5 yards
0 yards
9 yards
-3 yards
-1 yards
8 yards
1 yard
2 yards
-1 yard

Who cares? At that point, especially in the 4th, is to milk to clock and force timeouts. Neither of which they did, especially in the 4th. Besides, with gains of 5, 9 and 8 it's not like they were destined for -3 yards everytime they ran the ball which is irrelevant because running the ball would have eliminated the stupid sacks and holding calls (probably) and would have burned off a lot of time. Also, even if they kneeled on the ball three times after the Julio catch...they would have ended up on the 25 and Bryant would have had a pretty easy kick to go up two scores with little time left and would have forced NE to burn their final timeouts.

Nov 6, 2002

Who cares? At that point, especially in the 4th, is to milk to clock and force timeouts. Neither of which they did, especially in the 4th. Besides, with gains of 5, 9 and 8 it's not like they were destined for -3 yards everytime they ran the ball which is irrelevant because running the ball would have eliminated the stupid sacks and holding calls (probably) and would have burned off a lot of time. Also, even if they kneeled on the ball three times after the Julio catch...they would have ended up on the 25 and Bryant would have had a pretty easy kick to go up two scores with little time left and would have forced NE to burn their final timeouts.

I realize that by the second half the Falcons had to value burning up clock more than any yardage gained. But the best way to burn the clock is for the offense to stay on the field, and to do that they had to throw. If the Falcons had just ran it into the pile every down in the second half they still would have lost. There had to be a better balance on offense, obviously. But I don't think it's fair to throw so many bones at the offensive playcalling when the defense gave up five scoring drives in a row, many of them long ones.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I realize that by the second half the Falcons had to value burning up clock more than any yardage gained. But the best way to burn the clock is for the offense to stay on the field, and to do that they had to throw. If the Falcons had just ran it into the pile every down in the second half they still would have lost. There had to be a better balance on offense, obviously. But I don't think it's fair to throw so many bones at the offensive playcalling when the defense gave up five scoring drives in a row, many of them long ones.

If the Falcons ran it into the pile every down in the second half, they probably would have won actually...going 3 and out over and over and over and stopping the clock due to incompletions ultimately killed them. Not to mention keeping the clock going on offense would have resulted in giving their defense SOME rest. As it was, incomplete passes and 3 and outs resulted in their defense routinely going back out onto the field and being gassed beyond recognition. They were on the field for over 90 snaps, that is ridiculous. That is a direct result of the Falcons 1) not running the ball and 2) not passing the ball effectively.

Along the lines of blaming Matt Ryan, I don't know how anyone in their right mind can blame the defense who was on the field for over 90 snaps and had held one of the most explosive offenses and Tom Brady in check for basically 75% of the game for the loss. I mean it was a team effort, but I put the bulk of the blame on the offense for not doing a drat thing in the 2nd half.

The final 2 series was 8 runs and 2 passes. The final 3 series was 9 runs and 4 passes. It's just dumb playcalling plain and simple.

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 16, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol, the John Babineaux reaction.

Nov 6, 2002

If the Falcons ran it into the pile every down in the second half, they probably would have won actually..

I highly doubt this considering that means New England would have had to score one less time.

going 3 and out over and over and over and stopping the clock due to incompletions ultimately killed them. Not to mention keeping the clock going on offense would have resulted in giving their defense SOME rest. As it was, incomplete passes and 3 and outs resulted in their defense routinely going back out onto the field and being gassed beyond recognition. They were on the field for over 90 snaps, that is ridiculous. That is a direct result of the Falcons 1) not running the ball and 2) not passing the ball effectively.

Prior to New England's tying possession, the Falcons went 3-and-out twice, and each series had a run for negative yardage. On both of those they burned around 2 minutes of clock - about what you would get from running it into a pile three times. What separates those two drives of course is a series with lots of passes resulting in a touchdown. On Atlanta's other drive that technically wasn't a 3-and-out (because it ended with a Ryan fumble) they ran it 2 out of 3 times.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 16, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Prior to New England's tying possession, the Falcons went 3-and-out twice, and each series had a run for negative yardage. What separates those two drives of course is a series with lots of passes resulting in a touchdown. On Atlanta's other drive that technically wasn't a 3-and-out (because it ended with a Ryan fumble) they ran it 2 out of 3 times.

You can nitpick all you want. Run the ball. Win the game. It's honestly as easy as that. I'm sure it's easy to sit there being on the side you are on with your team winning, but on this side of it, especially down the stretch in the 4th, run the loving ball, kick the loving field goal, win the loving superbowl. That's really all it boils down to.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Please stop doing this. The game is over and I don't need anyone filling my view with dumbass revisionist or hindsight arguments about how or why it happened or could have been avoided.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Please stop doing this. The game is over and I don't need anyone filling my view with dumbass revisionist or hindsight arguments about how or why it happened or could have been avoided.

Sorry, you got blown out in the most historic Superbowl loss ever, people will literally never stop talking about it until another team chokes harder or y'all win a new one.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Sorry, you got blown out in the most historic Superbowl loss ever, people will literally never stop talking about it until another team chokes harder or y'all win a new one.

This is the unfortunate truth. Although "blown out" isn't true...at all...the narrative will always be, and rightfully so, how the Atlanta Falcons collapsed in historic fashion and blew the largest lead in SB history. It will be with this team until they win one. If they ever win one. :smith:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Best avatar/post combo in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Best avatar/post combo in history.

The saddest part is that I'm not wrong.

Like, y'all have to live with this shame forever, just like the Bucs have to live with have the most consecutive losses. Eventually time heals all wounds, but this one's still fresh.

This is the unfortunate truth. Although "blown out" isn't true...at all...the narrative will always be, and rightfully so, how the Atlanta Falcons collapsed in historic fashion and blew the largest lead in SB history. It will be with this team until they win one. If they ever win one. :smith:

"choked" would be a better phrase, sure.

• Locked thread