Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

You sound like you could use some advice. Get to it slacker.

lmao

“I saved $2,500 — my parents lent me $127,500,” she says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I read a zillow article recently on first time homeowner tips, and one of them was "ask a friend or family member for help". The example they used was borrowing 50,000 dollars from your parents.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it's hard enough to be poor without people farting directly on you, but for some reason the wealthy just cannot seem to stop, and now I'm reading articles about how to make your own guillotine

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh hey another Op-Ed that goes "I discovered [USELESS FACT], surely [USELESS FACT] has some relation to a problem faced by [FOCUS GROUP] since [USELESS FACT] has tenuous relationship to [FOCUS GROUP]!"

Ten years ago it would've been pomegranates instead of avocados and the logic would still be loving dumb.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the path to wealth is putting all your money in a single illiquid asset

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

We can't all live cosmopolitan lives in the Big City (tm). Some of us will have to live in suburbs and commute to the city. Still others will have to live in rural areas. Houses are more affordable in the latter areas. In the olden days, people were eager to own land that they could farm and subsist from. Nowadays folks wish to live close to where they can order a 35 dollar prix fixe and take pictures of it for their instagram. That life might not be in the cards for you. Especially if you are a type B personality, like most goons are. Your income potential may never line up with that life. Instead of crying about it, you could learn how to grow sorghum and buy land where it's cheap. In some rural places like Nebraska and Kansas, they're literally giving land away. What a deal! Anyway that's my take on the situation. I hope you all enjoy your day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

We can't all live cosmopolitan lives in the Big City (tm). Some of us will have to live in suburbs and commute to the city. Still others will have to live in rural areas. Houses are more affordable in the latter areas. In the olden days, people were eager to own land that they could farm and subsist from. Nowadays folks wish to live close to where they can order a 35 dollar prix fixe and take pictures of it for their instagram. That life might not be in the cards for you. Especially if you are a type B personality, like most goons are. Your income potential may never line up with that life. Instead of crying about it, you could learn how to grow sorghum and buy land where it's cheap. In some rural places like Nebraska and Kansas, they're literally giving land away. What a deal! Anyway that's my take on the situation. I hope you all enjoy your day.

You have to factor in the added time and commute cost for living in cheaper exurb areas.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Count Freebasie posted:

3O, didn't your parents buy you your condo, you sodomite piece of poo poo?

he's a trust fund baby so his parents friends bought him his condo

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

I'm starting to wonder if standards are too high for millennials. I mean, you can find a house for under 200,000k in the chicagoland area. It's not going to be downtown or a hip neighborhood but 3% of that is 6k. 2 people with incomes can scrape 6k together in a year or two. That's only saving 125$ a month for 2 years.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Avocados have the healthy fats millennials crave

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

2 people with incomes can scrape 6k together in a year or two. That's only saving 125$ a month for 2 years.

1-Not every Millenial is a DINK. Lots of people are single, and dating someone specifically for real estate purposes would be the whitest saddest decision.

2-If you're making enough to pay rent while you save, you're probably also paying off student loans.

I'm not saying it's impossible to save money. But it's not a gimme.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

What's great for a countries economy is when no one buys any retail goods or services because 100% of their income is dedicated to desperately trying to manage a home loan they will likely never pay off in full and because wealthy nobs shame them for not living off rice and beans exclusively. This will surely work out great in the end, for everyone. I couldn't imagine this resulting in some sort of widespread economic decline. Such a scenario simply has no precedent, and definitely not in relatively recent times.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

1-Not every Millenial is a DINK. Lots of people are single, and dating someone specifically for real estate purposes would be the whitest saddest decision.

2-If you're making enough to pay rent while you save, you're probably also paying off student loans.

I'm not saying it's impossible to save money. But it's not a gimme.

When has owning a home for a single person been reality? Never?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CONSUME

REPRODUCE

YOUR HOME MORTGAGE IS YOUR GOD

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

You only need 3% so its like 10k

nah man, half a mil is average in my area.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

bag em and tag em posted:

nah man, half a mil is average in my area.

What area is that

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
LA

so were talkin 15k if you just want to do 3%, and that's probably for condo/townhome not house

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It is a fact that the only way to be happy is to own a home.

The.

Only.

Way.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

bag em and tag em posted:

LA

so were talkin 15k if you just want to do 3%, and that's probably for condo/townhome not house

"Average" house price in LA is going to be pushed way up by all the super rich people

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

It is a fact that the only way to be happy is to own a home.

The.

Only.

Way.

Depending on various economic factors and tax systems within your country owning a home can be the only way to survive in your old age.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Owning a home is a pain in the rear end if you don't have time to maintain it.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

"Average" house price in LA is going to be pushed way up by all the super rich people

I wasn't quoting the statistical average. it's a common ask price for fairly low key homes.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87T6jIK9QZg

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I stopped buying avocados last week and now have enough money to buy a house. Thanks OP for the great advice.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I just built a house out of all the avocado pits I had laying around my place. Check... and mate.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Can someone suggest a cheaper alternative to the kraft singles and ice I've been eating?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Can someone suggest a cheaper alternative to the kraft singles and ice I've been eating?

no kraft singles and ice

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

You can make your own cheese in bulk from milk that is reduced because it is about to go off. You could also make cheese like substances from many different liquids cheaper than expired milk, if you had the sort of creativity and entrepreneurial drive that merits being able to live in a house.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

99.6% of "poor" households have an avocado.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

no kraft singles and ice

Do you know how many kW/h it takes to make ice? No Kraft singles and room temperature water

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

King Vidiot posted:

I just built a house out of all the avocado pits I had laying around my place. Check... and mate.
I built a house out of avocados and it was hard and uncomfortable for about a week, then it was nice for 12 hours before turning brown and squishy.

Scraping it with a knife did not help

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Spare the noble avocado and eat the rich imo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Avocados $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

When has owning a home for a single person been reality? Never?

Yeah never. Even when your wife didn't work she made up for it by cooking every meal and cleaning the house and raising 5 beautiful Caucasian children.

Sadly the quality of :females: these days leaves much to be desired.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Egbert Souse posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Avocados $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Stop spending so much on avocados

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
yesterday I bought an avocado that wasn't even on sale and now I'm late on the rent and may end up homeless.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The gently caress-you-got-mine dysphoria of rich people with bootstrapper advice is so quaint.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Before buying my house I lived without avocados. Now I own a house, though technically the bank owns it. I'm on an interest only loan with no money down, and I'm upside down on the house value but it'll turn around any day now. Renters are dumb for not creating equity. I'm also up to my rear end in a top hat in avocados.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

To wean safely off avocados I have switched to cheaper and safer Fabrege eggs at a local safe injection site

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

When the property market collapses the shoe will finally be on the other foot and it will be I with my avocado-centric portfolio who gets to write smug articles about a generation's entitled self-indulgent home owning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if the world were just and good these people would be all guillotined

• Locked thread