Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I wonder who that lovely Highlady is at 2:30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
It's Fordola!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's a poll to see how much interest there is in a mass migration for EU players. You don't have to answer straight away of course, the servers aren't up yet.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Get hosed east coast

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

slev posted:

Get hosed east coast

East Coast here and my ping is roughly the same, about 10% lower overall. The hopeful side is that the packet loss never rears its ugly head like it did when routing through Level3.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Can I vote yes if i'm all ready there?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Skaw posted:

East Coast here and my ping is roughly the same, about 10% lower overall. The hopeful side is that the packet loss never rears its ugly head like it did when routing through Level3.

Packet loss was my huge problem as well. 70ms vs 40ms is only slightly noticeable, but packet loss is a big deal.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Stormgale posted:

Can I vote yes if i'm all ready there?

I should have added a "I'm already on the EU servers you clown" option, so just vote yes in that case, seeing as the intention is to see if there's enough people to make this worthwhile.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Mr. Nice! posted:

For new 60s, don't forget to post in Fister's FFGoons thread, hit us up in game, and/or hit us up in the discord.

Is there a reason to join the discord if I am on a different server? I am on Midgardsormr to play with friends. Any other goons on Midgard?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

slev posted:

Get hosed east coast

Why, IP routing doesn't necessarily follow any kind of geographic logic. Do you think all your packets fly in a direct line to their destination?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I had forgotten about your gil going bye bye and all that on a transfer which changed my "probably never" on transferring to a hard no.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Why, IP routing doesn't necessarily follow any kind of geographic logic. Do you think all your packets fly in a direct line to their destination?

It still has to travel the distance between the two points, so at the very least that part of geography applies.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I had forgotten about your gil going bye bye and all that on a transfer which changed my "probably never" on transferring to a hard no.

You could just convert the Gil into assets, probably best to do it after strm hits and the markets stabilise

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

About that:
https://www.ibiblio.org/harris/500milemail.html :haw:

Also I will never understand the Level 3 hate when it's probably your ISP that is poo poo. I never had problems with WoW, EVE, or this but I've been blessed with fiber connections that aren't run by the big poo poo tier US ISPs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Xeras posted:

Is there a reason to join the discord if I am on a different server? I am on Midgardsormr to play with friends. Any other goons on Midgard?

Probably not. It's excalibur-centric.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

About that:

Also I will never understand the Level 3 hate when it's probably your ISP that is poo poo. I never had problems with WoW, EVE, or this but I've been blessed with fiber connections that aren't run by the big poo poo tier US ISPs.

My ISP is poo poo, but my only other option in this city is AT&T w/ a 1 TB limit per month with less bandwidth for more money, and I never had issues at all with WoW or SWTOR.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Feel the suffering of west coast players who have been bearing this burden for 4 years you east coast nerds.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.cnet.com/news/level-3-accuses-six-broadband-providers-of-degrading-network-traffic/

Had to go find it cause the original post isn't around apparently, but to clarify the hell I'm talking about.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Leal posted:

Feel the suffering of west coast players who have been bearing this burden for 4 years you east coast nerds.

They could have put it in the middle of the country somewhere, rather than just flipping which coast gets hosed. Sadly, planning and Square don't exactly go together.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there much infrastructure for data centres that are centrally located?

Leal posted:

As an east coaster I have to suffer with nine out of ten game companies operating and releasing things based on PST. We don't need to suffer more. :(

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

About that:

When you trace your traffic to the servers after having problems and the trace dies every single trying to get to the last Level 3 hop, you know there's a problem with whatever link is up there, not with people's ISPs (especially when this has been happening to a large amount of people off and on). Level 3 is a big ISP - don't trust a single word they say; they've been caught out for awful business practices in the past anyway. They probably get a bit more hate than they deserve, but there was definitely something wrong that they didn't care to investigate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zaodai posted:

They could have put it in the middle of the country somewhere, rather than just flipping which coast gets hosed. Sadly, planning and Square don't exactly go together.

Except the east coast isn't really getting hosed? I'm in Florida and level 3 hosed me up hard enough that I had to use a VPN to get the game. Pinging the server this morning I got basically the same ping as before. If there isn't any packet loss it'll be better for east coast people as well.

The only east coast people that might be significantly impacted is parts of new england, and even then I'm dubious that they'll be greatly affected.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crumpet posted:

When you trace your traffic to the servers after having problems and the trace dies every single trying to get to the last Level 3 hop, you know there's a problem with whatever link is up there, not with people's ISPs (especially when this has been happening to a large amount of people off and on). Level 3 is a big ISP - don't trust a single word they say; they've been caught out for awful business practices in the past anyway. They probably get a bit more hate than they deserve, but there was definitely something wrong that they didn't care to investigate.

This 100%. The game was completely different playing via standard connection (which routed through level 3) and via mudfish or wtfast that bypassed it. It was night and day.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

About that:

Level 3 has an decently well deserved bad reputation. Of the tier 1 backbone companies, I'd say they're the worst, both from a wider perspective, and previously being a client of theirs. Most of the issues stemmed I think for the Level 3 peering facility in Montreal, or really, the apparent lack of peering bandwidth there. I remember reading somewhere that during times of great congestion, there was a chance your traffic could end up getting routed though microwave backhaul across the US/CA border.

Speaking of backbone, I don't know what network the EU servers are on, but it looks like all the Japanese and US infrastructure are all now on NTT's tier 1 backbone. At least for me, the traffic moves right into NTT's network almost immediately.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's sufficient infrastructure in say Omaha or Chicago for a data center the size they would need in order to operate, but I'm guessing nobody in SE even remembers either of those places exist, let alone other somewhat tech savvy cities in the Midwest.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Except the east coast isn't really getting hosed? I'm in Florida and level 3 hosed me up hard enough that I had to use a VPN to get the game. Pinging the server this morning I got basically the same ping as before. If there isn't any packet loss it'll be better for east coast people as well.

The only east coast people that might be significantly impacted is parts of new england, and even then I'm dubious that they'll be greatly affected.

I'll certainly give it a shot here in a few days and see how gameplay feels, but it still feels like a stupid decision. There's not really a good reason to put your big multiplayer game servers on either coast in NA. League moved theirs to Chicago for a reason.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

I'll certainly give it a shot here in a few days and see how gameplay feels, but it still feels like a stupid decision. There's not really a good reason to put your big multiplayer game servers on either coast in NA. League moved theirs to Chicago for a reason.

Riot is big enough to run their own datacenter instead of buying capacity from someone else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zaodai posted:

November 7th I paid 2.99 to mudfish (1.43 balance remaining). I play this dumb game a lot. Since that time I've sent less than 12gb of data total. This game uses very little actual bandwidth. So long as the packet loss issues that people dealt with from level 3 are resolved, I don't really think a move to a major internet hub anywhere in the US is going to have a significant difference.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Riot is big enough to run their own datacenter instead of buying capacity from someone else.

As opposed to noted two man garage operation SquareEnix? :v:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Leofish posted:

"People called Garlanes they go the house?"

drat it i came here to post this exact joke

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

As opposed to noted two man garage operation SquareEnix? :v:

a real modern ~web-scale~ datacenter contains thousands of computers. the big players build their datacenters out of literal shipping containers full of computers like they were loving lego blocks and throw away entire containers when the computers inside start to break. you could fit every ffxiv server inside a single one of those shipping containers and rattle them around.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Kuvo posted:

drat it i came here to post this exact joke

Insomnia wins again! :woop:

:smith:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
maybe a second one for the instance servers, idk how they're architected behind their load balancer

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Reiterpallasch posted:

a real modern ~web-scale~ datacenter contains thousands of computers. the big players build their datacenters out of literal shipping containers full of computers like they were loving lego blocks and throw away entire containers when the computers inside start to break. you could fit every ffxiv server inside a single one of those shipping containers and rattle them around.

Then it sounds like they wouldn't have needed to rent that much space in a datacenter somewhere in the middle of the country. Or indeed, in a different datacenter from the company they're already getting space from.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If mudfish is connecting already to the new server locations (which it should be based on the updated IP routing) then I'm still able to get sub 50ms ping from Florida.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

Then it sounds like they wouldn't have needed to rent that much space in a datacenter somewhere in the middle of the country. Or indeed, in a different datacenter from the company they're already getting space from.

Getting a bigass datacenter in the middle of nowhere is mostly tricky because nobody actually wants to live in council bluffs, iowa or whatever when they could be making easy six figures on the coasts. Google, facebook, amazon et al can do it because, well, they can afford to buy out an entire town out there and reshape it to their will. If you're buying datacenter space from someone with a real SLO (and you really, really want someone with a real SLO) and you're not willing to move into the ~cloud~, your options don't actually look that great out there. The SoftLayer datacenter in Dallas would probably be my best guess, and I'm not convinced Dallas would be overall better than Sacramento for the playerbase.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Assuming that IP is right, my ping is set to more than double.

Also this:

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/864511717941837824

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Xenoveritas posted:

Assuming that IP is right, my ping is set to more than double.

Also this:

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/864511717941837824

Where are you playing from? I get a slightly higher ping without VPN down here in florida (60ms before and 70ms after) but the same sub 50ms when using mudfish.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

PING 204.2.229.41 (204.2.229.41) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 204.2.229.41: icmp_seq=1 ttl=52 time=118 ms
64 bytes from 204.2.229.41: icmp_seq=2 ttl=52 time=123 ms
64 bytes from 204.2.229.41: icmp_seq=3 ttl=52 time=134 ms
64 bytes from 204.2.229.41: icmp_seq=4 ttl=52 time=129 ms
64 bytes from 204.2.229.41: icmp_seq=5 ttl=52 time=123 ms

That seems fine to me. I don't remember what my ping was for the Montreal servers, though they were geographically much closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
network latency shouldn't really affect your ability to get into a final coil party though

• Locked thread