Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shovelbum posted:

who is buying all these houses anyway like we talk about the 1% all day long but MOST americans live in cities and every house in a city is >400k at this point usually >600k

These houses are within two miles of each other:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1612-Fallowfield-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M42975-50415
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/386-Morrison-Dr_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M49765-23597

At least here, there's plenty of affordable stuff close to downtown. You just have to be okay with living around non-white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Digital Jedi posted:

While the article is only for New York I will state that Charlie Kelly from IASIP probably has the most realistic apartment.

Look, he made some bad investments ok?! It could happen to anyone

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

shovelbum posted:

what does that mean though how does a "fool" get 3/4 mil together (and accompanying 200+k CASH for down payment) w/o being a rich rear end fool

use ur existing house as equity or whatev i dunno i never done it

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

shovelbum posted:

a skeleton can live rent free on the bottom of any body of water

there it is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

paranoid randroid posted:

hahahaha the intelligence Donald leaked was from Israel, he burned loving Mossad and now is waddling off to give some speeches in Israel. good job mister president.

oooh man they're gonna hit him with the cancer satellite so bad

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

euphronius posted:

the value of your house goes up over time* and you realize the gains on a sale.

* usually!

"Stocks can only go up up up!"

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

hehehehehehehehehhehhehehehehehehehehehhheheheheheheheheeheheheheheheehheehehehheheheheheehheheehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nonsense posted:

home ownership is being locked into HOA's and that is making homeownership not merely unaffordable but annoying. it's your goddamn property you do what you want with it

I too would like to change all of the oil/fluids in my car and keep it on my property in milk jugs when I'm done. And when I'm sick of seeing it on my lawn I will dump it out in the creek in the back of my property ruining the land for decades. YES!!!!!!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

shovelbum posted:

what does that mean though how does a "fool" get 3/4 mil together (and accompanying 200+k CASH for down payment) w/o being a rich rear end fool

JUMBO loans and being overleveraged like crazy?

The bank was willing to loan my wife and me a whole hell of a lot more money than we bought our house for.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

shovelbum posted:

who is buying all these houses anyway like we talk about the 1% all day long but MOST americans live in cities and every house in a city is >400k at this point usually >600k

Suburbs.

For $500,000 you can get a 3 bed/1.5 bath rowhome in a nice part of Philadelphia, or you can get a 4,000 sq ft victorian with 5 bedrooms, a 2 car garage and a swimming pool 15 miles away.
Also, the outskirts of many cities have affordable housing, but they feel like a city/suburb hybrid.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shovelbum posted:

so never lol

owning is affordable than renting in many places

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

lol MSNBC has the "National Diversity Coalition for TRUMP Executive Director" on a panel and he's trying to interrupt a former ambassador to Russia and just getting dunked on repeatedly

holy poo poo the rest of the panel is a former Deputy SecState and a former DOJ spokesman, I thought they didn't allow bloodsport like this on TV

BLACKS FOR

TRUMP

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

yikes

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

PBUH

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I wish more houses were kinda small on the inside but had a massive garage.

gently caress, the whole point of being a DINK for life is to minimize cleaning inside, but to have money for cool garage projects or vehicles to put in a garage. Also to not have kids.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1612-Fallowfield-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M42975-50415
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/386-Morrison-Dr_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M49765-23597

At least here, there's plenty of affordable stuff close to downtown. You just have to be okay with living around non-white people.

is the cheap one in like hardcore no ambulances or fire trucks the gas company wont come out there gang land or what

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

DrPlump posted:

Diet and exercise can increase life expectancy by average of 4.5 years.
Moving to a nicer zip code 12 years.

Does moving to the zip code do it or is it that the zip codes where people live longer have a bunch of rich people who can afford preventative care and healthier food options and lower particulate matter in the air?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

So that's bad, right?

Serious question, because I can't tell anymore.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

non-white people downtown? lol ok

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Oopth

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Chokes McGee posted:

I owned people at PacMan

Raiders of the Lost Ark was possibly the trippiest/coolest game I played, or even have played. nothing makes any sense and it's an abstract interaction of poorly shaped sprites and it owns

I could never understand what to do in Raiders if I recall correctly. I remember getting the whip and that was about it.

PacMan was cool but Pitfall was my jam. It taught me how to walk on alligators.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

this is it. this is the moment my brain officially broke.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oooh man they're gonna hit him with the cancer satellite so bad

The Cancer Rays from The Congo thawing Mr Freeze's Gotham Winter White House in Batman & Robin returns again

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yep, this is the more public details i was waiting for

this is a vietnam event horizon level fuckup for western intelligence and trump literally sold out dozens of operatives and thousands of US soldiers to russia

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the housing crisis will hurt you only in the states of ohio, florida, new york, california

texas is impervious to both Bush and obummer economic failures

We just don't fund children's healthcare to stay afloat

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fart blood posted:

So that's bad, right?

the chess game just got another dimension

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna get a house but don't want to pay more in mortgage than I am in rent

Also there's noooooo way I'm buying before the upcoming housing market crash lol. I remember the last time around I was waiting tables and I had people telling me I should buy a house now with an adjustable rate mortgage. I never had anybody explain it to me in a way that wasn't, "it's cheap at first and then it triples in price so that you lose the place and all your investments in it"

Apr 7, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

You could put down 20% couldn't you

I had the 20% but my mortgage broker said I could get a non-HUD loan for 5% down so I took the difference and replaced some windows and carpet and poo poo.

I paid $120K and put down a hair under $7K.

I live a block from a light rail station and drive maybe one day a week.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

the system is not designed for the average person to be able to afford a home without their boomer parents or somebody putting up the down payment. if you don't have that lol getfucked

This is a thing that's happened really only in the past fifteen years or so.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

NYT said on their morning podcast (it's good, I recomend it) that they knew which country it came from, but chose not to release it due to potential diplomatic and security damage.

I wonder what changed.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Trump killed a Mossad agent.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
i live in toronto where our most dilapidated shacks cost at least $1 million canabux

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

discoukulele posted:

this is it. this is the moment my brain officially broke.

Well, discoukulele's out.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Ask him about his electoral votes.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

I wanna get a house but don't want to pay more in mortgage than I am in rent

Also there's noooooo way I'm buying before the upcoming housing market crash lol. I remember the last time around I was waiting tables and I had people telling me I should buy a house now with an adjustable rate mortgage. I never had anybody explain it to me in a way that wasn't, "it's cheap at first and then it triples in price so that you lose the place and all your investments in it"

theres no bubble this time just a market propped up by predators and foreign speculators sorry its only gonna ratchet up from here

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Trump Is(for)real

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ironically the place I live is currently in a bust part of a boom and bust cycle so I could probably do decent buying a house and selling it when/if the oil industry picks back up

still not going to though as I have avoided any and all debt so far and I ain't breaking that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mlmp08 posted:

I wish more houses were kinda small on the inside but had a massive garage.

gently caress, the whole point of being a DINK for life is to minimize cleaning inside, but to have money for cool garage projects or vehicles to put in a garage. Also to not have kids.

Kids are the worst investment

Apr 7, 2003

shovelbum posted:

is the cheap one in like hardcore no ambulances or fire trucks the gas company wont come out there gang land or what

No, the cheap one is two blocks away from me.

This neighborhood is Pittsburgh's "Little Mexico." Take from that what you will.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

brugroffil posted:

the house they used for exterior establishing shots is now worth like $600k or $700k or something, and Chicago's a relatively mild housing market compared to a lot of other places right now.

Roseanne's house sold a few years ago for around $130k (it's in a blue collar town in Indiana), so that was a lot more accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS5jqXWECbI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

mlmp08 posted:

NYT said on their morning podcast (it's good, I recomend it) that they knew which country it came from, but chose not to release it due to potential diplomatic and security damage.

I wonder what changed.

bannon had some role in this didn't he

• Locked thread