Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Macarius Wrench posted:

Play Nier, it might not click with you but you might love it.

Be sure to get the demo for Nier before you buy. I wish I did.

I understand why people like this game, and I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. But it sure as hell doesn't click for me - mostly because I find the gameplay irritating and not fun. That just exacerbates the other issues I have with the game instead of smoothing them over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

El Jebus posted:

The Far Cry shakeup we have all been waiting for: playing as a dark skinned woman killing white men.
I
there was a report from Montana of someone shooting cutscene or promotional footage for a well established video game franchise from an unnamed company that had Paris offices

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I actually really like the Crew. Once I got past the poo poo story mode and just free roamed, I had a blast. I love looking at parts of the United States and even though there isn't gently caress all to see in a lot of places, I think its part of the charm for me to see towns there are nothing more than 5 streets.

Then again, I liked the countryside portion of GTA SA too.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

ashpanash posted:

I understand why people like this game, and I'm not saying it's a bad game at all. But it sure as hell doesn't click for me - mostly because I find the gameplay irritating and not fun. That just exacerbates the other issues I have with the game instead of smoothing them over.

Same mate. Everyone around here is screaming "GAME OF THE YEAR" and I'm just sitting utterly confused as to how the game is so compelling for the people that love it, and I enjoyed the demo.

In fairness I'm only 10 hours in and although I'm not loving it as much as the majority seem to I'm pushing through with it because despite my problems it's got enough compelling about it to remain interesting.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the 3rd playthrough is where the goty calls come from. if you're 10 hours in and like the game but don't understand the hype yet, keep playing and you'll see why people like it so much. you may still not agree, of course, but as is you're probably not far enough in to understand why people rate the game so highly yet

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Macarius Wrench posted:

Same mate. Everyone around here is screaming "GAME OF THE YEAR" and I'm just sitting utterly confused as to how the game is so compelling for the people that love it, and I enjoyed the demo.

In fairness I'm only 10 hours in and although I'm not loving it as much as the majority seem to I'm pushing through with it because despite my problems it's got enough compelling about it to remain interesting.

Stop doing sidequests and just do the main story. It really opens up and becomes amazing later. I thought so anyway. The sidequests don't give much rewards unless you are trying to level a certain weapon (you can lookup what quest gives you 5 widgets)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the side quests are mostly ok with some bad ones sprinkled in, but the rewards for completing them aren't as important as what they add to the narrative. if you care about world building, you should do the side quests. if you don't, they're not at all mandatory

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ashpanash posted:

I appreciate that it had a demo because I was interested in it and it told me it wasn't for me. There was nothing wrong with it it just didn't click. More games need demos again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I definitely liked it in the end but I thought it was really flawed and the story didn't resonate with me at all in the way it seemed to for others.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macarius Wrench posted:

Nier is a slow burn and a build into something great and it requires the journey for the destination to matter. This may be a hard sell, but it isn't simply a game for mindless entertainment; it rewards your investment.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nier 2 has probably one of the second best video game story, only losing to the first one which was much tighter narratively.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o it's definitely flawed and yoko taro will never make games that appeal to everyone

I enjoy the combat but it's easy to see why some people are disappointed in it. there are a bunch of neat moves you can do but they're mostly optional plugins and totally unnecessary when you can just mash attack and win every fight. also, while I do like the doofy robot designs, there's a serious lack of variety in the enemy encounters. you'd expect better from platinum in both of those regards

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

*while attempting to look up 2B's butthole* Ah yes, this is simply too cerebral for most goons to truly appreciate.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Plus there are a bunch of places where being a good game is lost in the artsy point it's trying to make, like how you aren't allowed to save during the first mission or making you traipse back and forth across the world a couple of times before unlocking fast travel.

It's very much a slow burn "gets good after the 30th hour" thing and if you aren't in the mood to sit back and ruminate on the sci-fi ideas while waiting for the story and gameplay to actually get good you won't like it very much.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Neir a is good because anime and brain problems

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

*while attempting to look up 2B's butthole* Ah yes, this is simply too cerebral for most goons to truly appreciate.

lol

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

the 3rd playthrough is where the goty calls come from. if you're 10 hours in and like the game but don't understand the hype yet, keep playing and you'll see why people like it so much. you may still not agree, of course, but as is you're probably not far enough in to understand why people rate the game so highly yet

I mean, if it takes 30 hours of tedious grinding and an absurd, seemingly meaningless/inscrutable narrative to get to the good part, then I don't see how it can really be considered a GOTY quality game. A good game, maybe, for those who are willing, but GOTY?

Compare that to HZD which to me was almost instantly compelling and just got more compelling as it went along.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It took me until route B but the combat grew on me. It's shallow but once you have a bunch of abilities and good chips it's pretty drat satisfying.

My main complaints are just overall repetition, route B felt almost completely redundant to me, the enemy variety felt super low and the shmup sections felt like a wasted potential because there was so little to them. Overall the progression and exploration felt pretty tedious. I also thought the characters were really one note and I didn't care for them.

Route C was awesome and definitely the games saving grace for me. That and I just enjoyed it's general weirdness. It's definitely memorable and I appreciate it for a lot of things but it just had too many problems for me to walk away from it thinking it was great. I realize I'm in the minority there and most people have a higher opinion of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would you grind in Nier? The game is not built in a way for that to do anything for you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ashpanash posted:

I mean, if it takes 30 hours of tedious grinding and an absurd, seemingly meaningless/inscrutable narrative to get to the good part, then I don't see how it can really be considered a GOTY quality game. A good game, maybe, for those who are willing, but GOTY?

Compare that to HZD which to me was almost instantly compelling and just got more compelling as it went along.

It doesn't

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nier is consistently good, the best stuff's just at the end

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like Nier but it was annoying that after playing the demo and then getting the full game, the first thing you have to play is the demo all over again.

I wish more games utilized a vertical slice or a piece of unique content for their demos. It's probably too much to ask these days with the cost of game development. I like what Destiny did with its Alpha and Beta (of which the beta was a glorified demo and stress test), which was to plop you down in a patrol area and give you a few missions to play around with, and basically unlimited time to run randomized patrols to your heart's content.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah none of the stuff in that post happen and HZD takes a long time for stuff to happen as well but it. Still never gets interesting.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I spent zero hours grinding in Nier:A, got interested in the narrative in the desert which is like 2 hours in, and fell in love with the game's aesthetic in the amusement park which is 3 hours in

Edit: I completed all playthroughs in 30 hours so it certainly doesn't take that long to "get good"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I loved Nier and didn't think Horizon's story was anything remarkable

Different tastes :shrug:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ashpanash posted:

I gave up on HZD because it felt like I spent more time trying to refill my health and grinding crafting materials than actually doing anything of note.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^I did that too, but my reaction was to stop trying to level my gear and just play the story, then it was very good. Ignore the poo poo openworld stuff. You don't need it to progress. I recommend trying again but just b-line for the main plot and cool sounding side stuff.(like the hunters lodge)you can ignore dumb side missions (like grandma lost a sock)

DrNutt posted:

I like Nier but it was annoying that after playing the demo and then getting the full game, the first thing you have to play is the demo all over again.

I wish more games utilized a vertical slice or a piece of unique content for their demos. It's probably too much to ask these days with the cost of game development. I like what Destiny did with its Alpha and Beta (of which the beta was a glorified demo and stress test), which was to plop you down in a patrol area and give you a few missions to play around with, and basically unlimited time to run randomized patrols to your heart's content.

Agreed, I played the demo when it first released so I had a long buffer time, but if I played it now then bought the full game I would not be happy. Since its literally the first level it should have had save import featured.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 16, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If you don't find the story/atmosphere/world building of Nier intriguing during routes A and B I strongly doubt route C will blow you away. I think it's a mistake to tell people they need to play for 30 hours to get to the GOTY stuff because it sets them up for unreasonable expectations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Andrast posted:

I loved Nier and didn't think Horizon's story was anything remarkable

Different tastes :shrug:

I did say "to me."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I spent zero hours grinding in Nier:A, got interested in the narrative in the desert which is like 2 hours in, and fell in love with the game's aesthetic in the amusement park which is 3 hours in

And by comparison I kept wondering why I'm playing as some sort of fuckdoll with a giant sword who runs around in combat in high heels and expected that there would be some reveal at the end as to why that was the case. But no, I'm told, just Japan, that's why.

There are parts that I like, kind of, the music isn't super amazing but it has nice moments, but the philosophy stuff is complete rear end, at least through playthrough 1. And the dialog is almost as cheesy as Mass Effect: Andromeda's dialog was lazy.

Oh and 2B is supposed to be an emotionless killing machine who constantly negs 9S but then gets all crazy sad when he's hurt with no explanation or motivation. I guess that's in playthrough 4? And the end boss fight\end boss character to playthrough 1 is the lamest loving concept imaginable. I guess it gets better?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ashpanash posted:

And by comparison I kept wondering why I'm playing as some sort of fuckdoll with a giant sword who runs around in combat in high heels and expected that there would be some reveal at the end as to why that was the case. But no, I'm told, just Japan, that's why.

Actually, it's because Yoko Taro really likes girls

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ashpanash posted:

it's good from the start but the part that elevates the game above others is the narrative, which is at its strongest later into the game

having a slow ramp up doesn't mean it can't be goty. it just means that most people aren't gonna understand why since barely anyone even gets halfway through most games they buy

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

If you don't find the story/atmosphere/world building of Nier intriguing during routes A and B I strongly doubt route C will blow you away. I think it's a mistake to tell people they need to play for 30 hours to get to the GOTY stuff because it sets them up for unreasonable expectations.

But that's not true. And nobody said that. You are pulling 30 hours out of your rear end. You can to all the routes in a bit over 20 hours. Especially if you aren't trying to 100%, which you shouldn't.

Its still like 8 hours if you do a side light route A. Which I agree is a lot to "push through til its good" but its not 30 hours by a long shot.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 16, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if you were referring to me but I didn't grind at all in Neir and it still felt very repetitive.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's good from the start but the part that elevates the game above others is the narrative, which is at its strongest later into the game

So it gets better? Or am I supposed to think that the narrative to part 1 was good? Because I didn't find it good or compelling, mostly because I never cared an ounce for any of the characters and wasn't given any good reason to.

This is me I'm talking about, my feelings towards the game. Before this turns into a big pissing match, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone else's opinion about the game. I'm more trying to ascertain from you guys, who have more information than I do, if there's reason for me to go further if I wasn't spellbound by part 1.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it seems like people keep thinking that saying the 3rd run is the best one implies that the game preceding that is bad, which is simply not true

ashpanash posted:

So it gets better? Or am I supposed to think that the narrative to part 1 was good? Because I didn't find it good or compelling, mostly because I never cared an ounce for any of the characters and wasn't given any good reason to.

This is me I'm talking about, my feelings towards the game. Before this turns into a big pissing match, I'm not trying to invalidate anyone else's opinion about the game. I'm more trying to ascertain from you guys, who have more information than I do, if there's reason for me to go further if I wasn't spellbound by part 1.

you said earlier that you were interested in it and never said anything about not liking it, just that you couldn't understand the goty stuff. if you don't like it, don't play it. it does get better but you probably won't appreciate it much either way if you don't like the narrative

e: o wait I think I mixed your post and someone else's together in my head somehow

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ashpanash posted:

yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ashpanash posted:

I did say "to me."

There are parts that I like, kind of, the music isn't super amazing but it has nice moments, but the philosophy stuff is complete rear end, at least through playthrough 1. And the dialog is almost as cheesy as Mass Effect: Andromeda's dialog was lazy.

Oh and 2B is supposed to be an emotionless killing machine who constantly negs 9S but then gets all crazy sad when he's hurt with no explanation or motivation. I guess that's in playthrough 4? And the end boss fight\end boss character to playthrough 1 is the lamest loving concept imaginable. I guess it gets better?

Why would you want a plot reason for 2B. That would have been awful. It's nice when game developers are honest.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would you want a plot reason for 2B. That would have been awful. It's nice when game developers are honest.

I want to be ashamed of my words and deeds

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because I find it easier to ignore problems I find in other areas (like gameplay) if I find the narrative storytelling to be compelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I'm gonna hold you to that