Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

Look at how similar the Spurs and Knicks are:

There are a bunch of similarities like this that make me question what it is exactly we're supposed to be gleaning from these. Like Brooklyn and Cleveland have very similar charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

roundmidnight posted:

It's appropriate that the Raptors' graph looks like the sword they fall onto every year in the playoffs.

also lmao at how extremely skewed they are towards iso

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How is shot selection measured?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Papercut posted:

There are a bunch of similarities like this that make me question what it is exactly we're supposed to be gleaning from these. Like Brooklyn and Cleveland have very similar charts.

It is supposed to be a very, very big picture of style. Does not take into account effectiveness one bit.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Nets is really nice. If Im not reading it wrong. Does this mean, for the most part, that they have a good offensive system, just devoid of weapons or too many of the same type of weapons (hence no spacing?)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Papercut posted:

Like Kibner said, it's just style of play. The personnel determine the effectiveness of the style

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

zoux posted:

Probably expected value from shots you take. Basically midrange shots are bad and the Spurs take a lot of mid range shots. The guys they have taking those shots are generally good and they have the highest 3 point percent in the league so their offense isn't bad.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

zoux posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6bid1g/oc_nba_team_profiles_graphics_showing_the/dhmtgi3/

pre:
Spacing		3-point attempts per 100 possessions
Isolation	1 / Potential assists per 100 possessions
Ball Movement	1 / Average seconds per touch
Shot Selection	(Restricted area FGA + 3-point attempts + Free throw attempts) / Total FGA
Transition	Percentage of total scoring plays classified as transition

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Spacing valley of the Timberwolves

We need shooting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kibner posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6bid1g/oc_nba_team_profiles_graphics_showing_the/dhmtgi3/

pre:
Spacing		3-point attempts per 100 possessions
Isolation	1 / Potential assists per 100 possessions
Ball Movement	1 / Average seconds per touch
Shot Selection	(Restricted area FGA + 3-point attempts + Free throw attempts) / Total FGA
Transition	Percentage of total scoring plays classified as transition

Ok so it's just looking at what percentage of the shots taken were threes and layups/dunks then. Thanks.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

That shot selection measurement is way rougher than I'd have though. Spacing seems like a bad measurement too.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Exactly.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Bashez posted:

That shot selection measurement is way rougher than I'd have though. Spacing seems like a bad measurement too.

It's ascribing value to shots in a vacuum as opposed to who's taking them and what type of shot it is (transition, contested, off the dribble, etc.)

It's a flawed picture at best

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

zoux posted:

People assumed that last year as well, yet I recall that the 73-win Golden State Warriors featuring the only unanimous MVP in league history blew a 3-1 lead in the NBA finals to lose the championship.

I recall that as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

It's ascribing value to shots in a vacuum as opposed to who's taking them and what type of shot it is (transition, contested, off the dribble, etc.)

It's a flawed picture at best

Don't tell that to Daryl Morey.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I support Daryl Morey and his friend Mike D'Antoni in their valiant effort to solve basketball

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Do the Warriors even have a winning record in the playoffs against healthy teams over the last three years?

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

leftist heap posted:

I don't understand why Portland can't and doesn't make more transition plays. Is it cause of Stotts or are CJ and Dame just not big enough to beat guys in transition or what.

They suck at rebounding.

Also I think the teams that push pace most effectively have forwards that can grab the rebound and go.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I only support basketball owners and GMs who are incredibly stupid but through sheer luck and obvious tanking get one of the best players of all time when then leaves for four years and then they get 3 #1 overall picks because they didn't bother to surround that player with any talent and then one of those #1 overall picks ends up in the D-League but it doesn't matter because the best player of all time felt bad about hurting his image so he came back to the hometown team and recruited superstars and old men who can still play and took his team to two championships in a row, losing one when the other two all stars were hurt, and winning the second in the greatest game 7 of all time, and may go to a third this year too.

That's my thoughts on basketball.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bashez posted:

Do the Warriors even have a winning record in the playoffs against healthy teams over the last three years?

They are 9-1 in series the last 3 years. Unless you are saying the Western Playoffs are a cakewalk, the Warriors have been really good at winning Playoff series.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

They are 9-1 in series the last 3 years. Unless you are saying the Western Playoffs are a cakewalk, the Warriors have been really good at winning Playoff series.

You're replying to Bashez

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I only support basketball owners and GMs who are incredibly stupid but through sheer luck and obvious tanking get one of the best players of all time when then leaves for four years and then they get 3 #1 overall picks because they didn't bother to surround that player with any talent and then one of those #1 overall picks ends up in the D-League but it doesn't matter because the best player of all time felt bad about hurting his image so he came back to the hometown team and recruited superstars and old men who can still play and took his team to two championships in a row, losing one when the other two all stars were hurt, and winning the second in the greatest game 7 of all time, and may go to a third this year too.

Same

But for real gently caress Dan and his comic sans

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

You're replying to Bashez

I just keep doing it during every playoff season.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Spite posted:

They suck at rebounding.

Also I think the teams that push pace most effectively have forwards that can grab the rebound and go.

Portland's pretty average, 17th in OREB% and 12th in DREB%.

For the second part, it still kind of depends on offensive philosophy — three of Charlotte's top four rebounders (MKG, Marvin Williams, Batum) are athletic forwards, but they use that extra time to set up their offense instead of hunting for transition buckets

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What's the correlation for defense into transition?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

I felt like there was a pretty low bar to "getting it" with that post.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

I only support basketball owners and GMs who are incredibly stupid but through sheer luck and obvious tanking get one of the best players of all time when then leaves for four years and then they get 3 #1 overall picks because they didn't bother to surround that player with any talent and then one of those #1 overall picks ends up in the D-League but it doesn't matter because the best player of allf
time felt bad about hurting his image so he came back to the hometown team and recruited superstars and old men who can still play and took his team to two championships in a row, losing one when the other two all stars were hurt, and winning the second in the greatest game 7 of all time, and may go to a third this year too.

Fun fact the Kyrie pick came from the clippers

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AggressivelyStupid posted:

For the low low price of Mo Williams and taking on Baron Davis' contract

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Haha I forgot that but those teams post-LeBron with only Kyrie were extremely putrid.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
re: dad dick

someone told me russ hate fucks the rims. that's why hes a child's MVP. lebron gives the hoop the dad dick. slow at first, some foreplay. teasing, giving the ball to kevin love instead, even though the hoop really wants lebron. devilishly whispering: no, not yet. revealing hints of the power and speed he has mastery of-- but just hints! here and there... until the right time has arrived, when he throws down chaos dunks and slaps down lesser challengers( this part is the hard loving part of my analogy). thank you

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
do the thing where you quote my avatar looking at my post. thank you

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Dad dicking the rim would be more like the rim has a headache and LeBron constantly throws down quick dunks against a semi hostile rim until one day he just can't even anymore and starts catching the rim even when he wants to throw down that dunk, his forlorn ball bouncing away as his spite for the rim grows every day he wakes up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Brolander posted:

re: dad dick

someone told me russ hate fucks the rims. that's why hes a child's MVP. lebron gives the hoop the dad dick. slow at first, some foreplay. teasing, giving the ball to kevin love instead, even though the hoop really wants lebron. devilishly whispering: no, not yet. revealing hints of the power and speed he has mastery of-- but just hints! here and there... until the right time has arrived, when he throws down chaos dunks and slaps down lesser challengers( this part is the hard loving part of my analogy). thank you

maybe these lesser challengers that lebron slaps down are into this "cuck" thing i've heard so much about lately

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/BoSchwartz/status/864570237949292545

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

D. Green the 3-point shooter is not a very descriptive label

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

D. Green the 3-point shooter is not a very descriptive label

It's yellow, so that means it's Draymond.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/864564816735817736

thinking emojii goes here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/864575462588071937

>_>

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kibner posted:

It's yellow, so that means it's Draymond.

yeah, i figured it out. but adding the first intial is funny since it doesn't help

actually it looks like it went in the original tweet

so is ainge gonna try and fleece somebody for olynyk or is he going to do the ainge thing and ridiculously overvalue his own assets and demand nothing less than paul george

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Undone by THAT. Poor John Wall.

• Locked thread