Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

My loving sheets got a giant hole in them and I don't even think I've had them for a year.

I guess this is what I get for buying $40 sheets at Macy's instead of $80 ones.

Try Ross (et al). Get $80 Macy's sheets for $20-40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nocal posted:

I bet there's like a fuckload of surplus peacoats after brexit

Varusteleka and Sportsman's Guide are probably the two best online surplus stores. Varusteleka has additional shipping costs ($10 to the US for regular shipments) because it's in Finland, but they have a ton of relatively obscure or uncommon European gear for extremely affordable prices. German surplus shirts in flecktarn are like $5 before shipping.

I actually wear some surplus items to work, like a US military police dress shirt. They're tougher than similar clothes for the same cheap price.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

shoes.

a game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Jerry Cotton posted:

I bought some tea cups

I like this. Where from?

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

1redflag posted:

I like this. Where from?

Google reverse image search, yo

http://www.dishwareheaven.com/products.html?id=50/509992

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1redflag posted:

I like this. Where from?

The flea market. "Model S" cups in various decors (this one is Saimaa as treiz01 already found out) are everywhere, cheap (here in Finland), and extremely durable.

By the way this is what I almost bought at said flea market:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:59 on May 14, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Some soap.

Something to noodle around with, it's a guitar to iPhone adapter dongle

baram. posted:

shoes.

a game.

Nice!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

chitoryu12 posted:

Varusteleka and Sportsman's Guide are probably the two best online surplus stores. Varusteleka has additional shipping costs ($10 to the US for regular shipments) because it's in Finland, but they have a ton of relatively obscure or uncommon European gear for extremely affordable prices. German surplus shirts in flecktarn are like $5 before shipping.

I actually wear some surplus items to work, like a US military police dress shirt. They're tougher than similar clothes for the same cheap price.

Thanks for the reference. We now have more military items being shipped to our home than we probably needed. Plus caffeinated chocolate because why not :shobon:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's kinda neat. Looks like it draws power from the iPhone. Does it kill your battery super quick?

edit:
Do they make apps for like distortion pedals and reverb pedals and stuff?! If not, let's start a business!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's kinda neat. Looks like it draws power from the iPhone. Does it kill your battery super quick?

edit:
Do they make apps for like distortion pedals and reverb pedals and stuff?! If not, let's start a business!

Yeah, iRig makes AmpliTube for mobile and computer. They're pretty good modeling amps.

I'm not sure about battery life. I usually have it plugged into my Mac. On my iPad I use one of these, which provides power:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Coffee And Pie posted:

Some soap.

Nice!

I love Dr. Bronners Soap. The moral ABCs and apocalyptic rants really helped me put my life in perspective :allears:

Nice! I picked up a USB form factor one of these awhile back but haven't messed with it yet. How does the iPhone work though, now that there's no headphone jack?...

Speaking of phones, has anyone ever messed around with the miniature clip on camera lens kits and tiny tripods for cellphones? Do they work well, or would you have any specific recommendations?

I'm curious because I'd really love to take my hiking and backpacking photos to the next level, but a DSLR is too much to bring with me, especially in wet lovely rainy conditions.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best sounding guitar app is Jam Up. The tones are superior to Amplitube, and Garage Bands built in guitar sounds. However, the current desktop version of Garage Band has absolutely killer guitar emulation.

You can integrate JamUp into Garage Band, so you have the great tones from Jam Up, but the recording capability of Garage Band.

If you are a multi instrumentalist, i'd also recommend getting a cheap M Audio USB keyboard, and you have access to a world of great synth, keyboard, organ, and piano modeling. Moog and Korg in particular have put out some amazing apps.

It's quite remarkable that an iPhone, or even an iPod Touch in your pocket can do better recordings than those tascam 4 or 8 track machines musicians used in the 90's. One of the main reasons why i've stuck to iPhones and iPads, and put up with Apple bullshit.

ishikabibble posted:

...It's a Starfield, which was an Ibanez in-house custom shop brand. Kurt's model was a Cabriolet without the f-hole cutout :v:

thanks for the info!

also, why are Tacoma trucks so sought after now?

MeatRocket8 has a new favorite as of 08:32 on May 15, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I bought this from a fellow goon in SA Mart

It's a 1,700 year old coin of a fat dude

His prices are great, he's trustworthy (important in this product category) and he provides a ton of info on the coins, which you don't get from any other seller.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I'm the poor quality control

(cool coin!)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just learned you can buy a hand-crafted human artifact that's almost 2,000 years old for like twenty bucks :stare:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of phones, has anyone ever messed around with the miniature clip on camera lens kits and tiny tripods for cellphones? Do they work well, or would you have any specific recommendations?

I'm curious because I'd really love to take my hiking and backpacking photos to the next level, but a DSLR is too much to bring with me, especially in wet lovely rainy conditions.

Buy the Anker set off of Amazon. It's very good like all Anker products and the quality for the price blew me away. The macro lens is so fun.

ChocNitty posted:

I bought this from a fellow goon in SA Mart

It's a 1,700 year old coin of a fat dude

His prices are great, he's trustworthy (important in this product category) and he provides a ton of info on the coins, which you don't get from any other seller.

And I suddenly want to buy a bunch of ancient coins.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

I just learned you can buy a hand-crafted human artifact that's almost 2,000 years old for like twenty bucks :stare:

There's a lot of ancient coins out there. Some are more valuable than others, whether due to their precious metal content or being especially rare or important, but common silver coins are practically raining out of archaeological digs. The extent of Roman trade has led to Roman coinage showing up all the way in China and Japan before.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

The moral of the story: If you bury your bitcoins in the backyard, in 2k years someone will be selling them for $22 bucks a pop.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Lol just kidding. they wont be worth $22 bucks.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Think of them like Kodak Brownies. It's a miracle something that old has survived to present day in any kind of shape, but they made so many of them and they're so ubiquitous and yet so worthless that barring any kind of special or particularly desirable ones, you can pick one up for a fiver pretty easily in not too bad of a shape.

Nobody cares about something with Maximian's face on it, two thousand years old or not. Now, if that was Julius Caesar on the other hand...

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ishikabibble posted:

Nobody cares about something with Maximian's face on it, two thousand years old or not. Now, if that was Julius Caesar on the other hand...

You have to give it back.

Jesus posted:

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Even the pizza pizza?

That's bullshit.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

NewFatMike posted:

Nice!

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

also, why are Tacoma trucks so sought after now?

It depends on what gen Tacoma you're talking about. The first and second gen are a reliable, proven platforms with huge aftermarket support to easily build it into a rock Crawler, or camping truck. They're pretty much bullet proof.

The newest gen Tacoma is popular due to the aforementioned reliability, but also because the small and medium truck market is essentially dead with few exceptions. So if you want a truck, but don't want or need a full size your options are pretty much either a Tacoma (which also has the highest resale value of any vehicle) or going with the GM twins. Given the choice most people are choosing the proven reliability and resale of the Tacoma.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That and you can't get Toyota Hiluxes in the United States. I'm interested in the new Ford Ranger that's supposedly coming out this year.

Content:

Farmers markets are now in full swing, so fresh eggs, asparagus, and beef heart sausage are now on the menu.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
50x

~(165) 1/2" bolts

Apparently my house is now bolted to its foundation.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is that in case gravity fails or what?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

Think of them like Kodak Brownies. It's a miracle something that old has survived to present day in any kind of shape, but they made so many of them and they're so ubiquitous and yet so worthless that barring any kind of special or particularly desirable ones, you can pick one up for a fiver pretty easily in not too bad of a shape.

I wouldn't call them worthless. If I put that coin on eBay i'd get a little more than I paid for it. It's like you're saying Timex and Swiss Army watches are worthless, and Patek Phillipe and IWC watches are the only ones that matter. The cool thing about ancient roman and greek coins is there's something for any budget, which makes it appealing for newcomers to get into. It's also pretty much the only affordable ancient item thats authentic more often than not, as opposed to buying an ancient or medieval ring, or trinket, which are fake 90% of the time and very difficult to authenticate.

I'm starting to buy some higher end pieces, and a lifetime issue of a silver or gold Julius Caesar and Alexander The Great will be bought before the end of this year. But I still like buying more inexpensive coins for their aesthetic value. I feel comfortable carrying them in my pocket, showing them to people, giving them away as gifts, as opposed to a really nice silver or gold piece thats sealed in a slab, and kept in my safe.

Pympede posted:

It depends on what gen Tacoma you're talking about. The first and second gen are a reliable, proven platforms with huge aftermarket support to easily build it into a rock Crawler, or camping truck. They're pretty much bullet proof.

The newest gen Tacoma is popular due to the aforementioned reliability, but also because the small and medium truck market is essentially dead with few exceptions. So if you want a truck, but don't want or need a full size your options are pretty much either a Tacoma (which also has the highest resale value of any vehicle) or going with the GM twins. Given the choice most people are choosing the proven reliability and resale of the Tacoma.

and back to the future 1

Speaking of trucks, I got

It was on a steam sale, and it even runs well on my macbook air. It's basically an internet music streamer with a truck driving simulator attached to it. The only thing its missing is lot lizards (truck stop hookers), and meth.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Tannoy V4i, V1i and VCi speaker set, lightly used and at a very good price. I wanted something that could be used for both stereo and home theatre.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIV posted:

Is that in case gravity fails or what?

Admin on this server is nuts and has a hotkey bound to toggle sv_gravity.

We won the lottery from this program: https://www.earthquakebracebolt.com/Content/TheRetrofit

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
No picture but a new blower motor for my AC. Luckily the downstairs unit still works so I'm not dying.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Pympede posted:

The newest gen Tacoma is popular due to the aforementioned reliability, but also because the small and medium truck market is essentially dead with few exceptions.

Seems like the small truck market doesn't exist anymore. The Colorado/Tacoma/Frontier/Ridgeline all seem nearly as large as F-150s used to be.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

Seems like the small truck market doesn't exist anymore. The Colorado/Tacoma/Frontier/Ridgeline all seem nearly as large as F-150s used to be.

Yea, this is why I have shifted my attention to looking for an older, small F150 with as little frame rust as I can find. If I replace the engine, trans, suspension, and steering, it will be like having a brand new truck!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
More shoe buys for the thread.

Reebok Nano 6.0 for the gym/lifting

Reebok Zprint Run for general walking and non lifting workouts

Adidas Stan Smith PK for day to day casual wear

To quote the late Henry Ford, "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Bought some shoes while I was in Las Vegas over the weekend because the shoes I brought with me were not suited at all for the amount of walking we did.

Nike Free Transform Flyknit

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

colas posted:

I remember reading something about hordes of grandmas hoovering up Chevy S10 Xtreme editions as they were the perfect height for elderly women to transport their gardening supplies about and be able to reach them in the bed.
Now picture your gram-gram tooling around in a lowered mini truck with racing stripes, tinted windows, a bed full of marigolds and tell me that mental image isn't pure loving magic.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

This came in the mail yesterday:

Silver denarius of Tiberius. Struck when Jesus was alive and gettin crazy.

It has a really good strike, so his head looks almost three dimensional

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

evobatman posted:

Tannoy V4i, V1i and VCi speaker set, lightly used and at a very good price. I wanted something that could be used for both stereo and home theatre.

Are those going to be your main speakers for your main setup?

I want to see a picture of all your poo poo. All the CD, tape players, receivers, all in one room.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sneaker fans - Are any of the Roshes at Nike Clearance Sale considered Good and Cool?

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/m...UmqrTom02m9oDTQ

Need me some comfortable sneaks. Will wear with gray, navy, and dark indigo denim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

ChocNitty posted:

Are those going to be your main speakers for your main setup?

I want to see a picture of all your poo poo. All the CD, tape players, receivers, all in one room.

The idea is to put them in my home theatre setup when I upgrade to a 4K TV and receiver. Right now I have the fronts hooked up to my CRT/2-channel setup:

This pic is already outdated, because that Pioneer home theatre receiver at the bottom is gone. Because of my tiny apartment and because I have to keep this hobby self-financing, I sell off my stuff after I'm done playing with it or fixing it up. I can't take a picture of all of it at once, but I'm sure that would have been ridiculous!

I still haven't had time to test the other speakers, but apparently the rears are capable hifi speakers just by themselves. The fronts are pretty much overkill for my apartment, but the set was cheap second-hand, and gets great reviews.

I have posted a lot more of my setup over time and more equipment that isn't in this thread in the 2-channel/vintage stereo thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3021252&userid=100786&perpage=40&pagenumber=1