Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

Oh man that was my biggest complaint, I should try it again. Maybe now I can finally swipe without it being garbage, which gboard and swiftkey are

Sell me on something that isn't swiftkey, which I like

Should I try swype? I have in the past just not for very long and have tried gboard and I can't criticize them but I couldn't endorse either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gboard has been getting worse about swyping. I'll Swype and it won't recognize or suggest the correct word, often suggesting something completely different.

Is that one keyboard where you type in the general location and it magically gives the right word still available?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PerrineClostermann posted:

Gboard has been getting worse about swyping. I'll Swype and it won't recognize or suggest the correct word, often suggesting something completely different.

Is that one keyboard where you type in the general location and it magically gives the right word still available?

This is what I feel like swiftkey does on a good day.

I get every letter wrong but it uses the swiping motion and gets what I'm trying to say on about 1.5" of screen real estate

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

syscall girl posted:

The corollary of that of course is which American company do you blindly trust with your security and privacy?

Google?

Yeah but if it's a choice between Google and random Chinese company... Well it's kind of like the 2016 election all over again. Do you go with the competent one who did some screwed up things, or the one who literally doesn't care?

Or do you fruitlessly commit to some Kickstarter phone?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I honestly would have been all over Ubuntu Phone - I used the early dev builds on my Nexus devices and it was a nice concept, and for the most part I don't need a whole lot in the way of apps/trinkets.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah but if it's a choice between Google and random Chinese company... Well it's kind of like the 2016 election all over again. Do you go with the competent one who did some screwed up things, or the one who literally doesn't care?

Or do you fruitlessly commit to some Kickstarter phone?

There's only one enlightened choice, obviously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like the new Moto X is going to be the Moto Z Play replacement that people are looking for.

quote:

Most notably, the Moto X (apparentlycalled the Moto X4) is finally slated to return after a long absence. This image doesn't reveal much beyond the 5.2-inch "3D glass" display and a "SmartCam," but details gleaned from a video hint that it's an upper mid-range phone with the shiny new Snapdragon 660 processor, a hefty 3,800mAh battery, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of built-in storage and a fingerprint reader.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Now that's a direction I like to see manufacturers go in.

The 660 looks to be in somewhere around the performance of the Snapdragon 801 to 808 but with a less powerful gpu. This is just from some quick spec looks of course.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Hello, folks. After 3+ years of Windows Phone ownership (first Samsung Ativ S Neo, then Lumia 950), I am taking the plunge and will be receiving an HTC One M8 on Wednesday. I'm very excited, but also please let me know if I've actually ruined my life. Thank you in advance. :unsmith:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hello, folks. After 3+ years of Windows Phone ownership (first Samsung Ativ S Neo, then Lumia 950), I am taking the plunge and will be receiving an HTC One M8 on Wednesday. I'm very excited, but also please let me know if I've actually ruined my life. Thank you in advance. :unsmith:

.....yeah, you "ruined your life" by moving to the most popular phone platform in the entire world, please stop quickly and go back to the most dead useless terrible mobile OS

e: actually, that honour might belong to BlackBerry 10 but in my defense they don't make those anymore

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hope you didn't pay more than like 50 bucks for that 3 year old phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

YeahTubaMike posted:

Chances are you won't be very happy but it's due to the hardware being old/HTC's skin. There's a reason HTC's finances are a garbage fire and only part of it is due to Samsung.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Sereri posted:

I hope you didn't pay more than like 50 bucks for that 3 year old phone.

I, um...did. Let's just leave it at that.

FAUXTON posted:

Chances are you won't be very happy but it's due to the hardware being old/HTC's skin. There's a reason HTC's finances are a garbage fire and only part of it is due to Samsung.

Well, I don't really need it to do much beyond normal phone stuff. As long as it stays on and I can use it to text/call/occasionally browse Facebook on the way to/from work, that'll be fine.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I've got a phone with Android 7.1.1 installed and I'm trying to set up a Do Not Disturb rule for work. The rule is as follows....

....but it doesn't work properly. It turns on at 9am fine but it stays on after 5pm, you can see it's still on now from the screenshot. The only other rule I have in place is one for nighttime where it comes on at 10pm and switches off at 6am the following day (or when my alarm goes off), so I can't see how that conflicts with it.

Presumably I'm doing something stupid? This is driving me mad.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

I, um...did. Let's just leave it at that.

Maybe... return it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Dumb question incoming: :siren:

What's the best/simplest way to back up photos and songs from a smartphone (S6) to a laptop of some kind? Plain ol' drag-and-drop? Some recommended app? Was thinking of using AirDroid.

I'm going to upgrade within the week but I'm not signed up to any automagical cloud/drive service to backup all my dumb poo poo, so I want to know what I can use to painlessly put my old stuff in my new device before i trade my old phone in. Thanks.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Morter posted:

What's the best/simplest way to back up photos and songs from a smartphone (S6) to a laptop of some kind? Plain ol' drag-and-drop? Some recommended app? Was thinking of using AirDroid.

I'm going to upgrade within the week but I'm not signed up to any automagical cloud/drive service to backup all my dumb poo poo, so I want to know what I can use to painlessly put my old stuff in my new device before i trade my old phone in. Thanks.

Could just sign up/download google photos. It'll back them up to :yaycloud: and retrieve them on your new phone. It's free for up to 25k photos (original resolution) or unlimited lower (but still fine) resolution. You could do it manually, but that sounds like a big PITA.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

The 660 looks to be in somewhere around the performance of the Snapdragon 801 to 808 but with a less powerful gpu. This is just from some quick spec looks of course.

Did you see the leak with the entire lineup? Beyond the Moto C (which the US won't get), there's the Moto E+ with a fingerprint sensor, a 5.5 inch 720p screen and a 5,000mAh battery. No idea what SoC but I think it's a safe bet you won't have to worry about making it through a day.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stupid emptyquote button.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Morter posted:

Google Photos/Music to back up your files to the cloud and Samsung Side Sync to back up to your computer.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Internet Explorer posted:

Maybe... return it?
I'd find it pretty hard to believe that he bought a three year old phone from a store.

Morter posted:

You can just drag and drop your DCIM folder easily, though I'd still recommend using Google Photos. As for your music, I can't imagine a situation where you didn't either buy them and they're in the cloud already, or copy them to your phone from your PC, in which case they are already on your PC.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nah, more like a SD820 with a significant slower GPU (which makes no difference in real world really). Stock A72 cores are already quite the beasts in the Android CPU department, let alone the better A73.

Which is why the non-Chinese OEMs don't like using the SD650 and 660 parts; They make their flagships look bad without the ability to charge flagship premium pricing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 660 should have similar power use to the 626 under light workloads but should be able to ramp to near 820 levels of performance. With a 3800mah battery, that Moto X should easily be a 2 day phone.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Maybe... return it?

I'll return it if the phone really, REALLY sucks, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

YeahTubaMike posted:

From years of Windows Phone to a M8. You really know how to pick em.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'll return it if the phone really, REALLY sucks, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

I think the point is that there are much better options for the same money.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

nimper posted:

I think the point is that there are much better options for the same money.

If he's anything like the Windows Phone users I know, he's cheap and stubborn and "getting a good deal" is more important than anything else. Just let him be happy frustrated with his dumb purchase.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's only one enlightened choice, obviously.

Firefox OS would have won.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I didn't know we were at a point that a phone with a SD801, 2gb ram, and Android 6 was frustrating.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I didn't know we were at a point that a phone with a SD801, 2gb ram, and Android 6 was frustrating.

Specs barely matter.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

It's pretty well known that the more ram you have the better

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You must be a OnePlus user since you think specs matter.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Specs barely matter.

It's not like it's going to be any less of a phone than the budget phones coming out today. For $100 (from Swappa) I'd say it's an okay deal. It's not going to get you into 2018 likely, but people are still using Galaxy S3 and S4s with little complaint.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You must be a OnePlus user since you think specs matter.

I had a OPO for a week before I got rid of it. Specs mattered in 2014 and can even still be compared to today's budget line.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

In the idiotic and unnecessary new features department, HTC's new U11 phone will let you launch an app by squeezing the phone

Otherwise it's a pretty standard flagship, with a very good camera and one of the first to have the Snapdragon 835

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My M8 was very usable until I got a Pixel. I just didn't know what I was missing. Windows phone guy will be fine until the battery finally gives up for good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Thermopyle posted:

From years of Windows Phone to a M8. You really know how to pick em.

:sweatdrop:

If he's anything like the Windows Phone users I know, he's cheap and stubborn and "getting a good deal" is more important than anything else. Just let him be happy frustrated with his dumb purchase.

I'm a woman, and if I were stubborn, I wouldn't have posted in this thread at all. This is what I was looking for:

-under $200
-not used
-Android
-a microSD slot

I didn't see any other options, but I'm certainly open to them. I haven't received the phone yet, but again, I'm more willing to return it if it turns out to be complete garbage.

edit: also, for what it's worth, I shopped around for weeks. It's entirely possible that I was looking in the wrong place.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm a woman, and if I were stubborn, I wouldn't have posted in this thread at all. This is what I was looking for:

-under $200
-not used
-Android
-a microSD slot

I didn't see any other options, but I'm certainly open to them. I haven't received the phone yet, but again, I'm more willing to return it if it turns out to be complete garbage.

edit: also, for what it's worth, I shopped around for weeks. It's entirely possible that I was looking in the wrong place.

The droid I have is free with a year's worth of Tracfone service. You can get it from walmart or hsn.com.

If you don't mess with it too much it's an okay phone, if you do it's an object lesson about aynroid and sarnsung

It's well under $200 is my point, and it is black and indistinguishable from every other Galaxy unless you have phone sickness.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I am so new to the non-Windows Phone universe that it's probably not even going to occur to me to do stuff to it until I've had it for a while. Windows Phone is pretty rigid, I've never done any modding or anything like that.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Pretty sure that modding your phone gives you phone sickness and causes you to post more in the Android thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

YeahTubaMike posted:

-under $200
-not used
-Android
-a microSD slot

Moto G4+ would be great, if you were not opposed to used I have one that was my daily driver for 3 months until I got a Pixel.