Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

s.i.r.e. posted:

Sonichu now can finally happen, somewhere Chris-Chan masturbates furiously.

The end is nigh.

Some things from the Internet are better left forgotten. Like, Ulillillia is okay, but I could've stood to have forgotten Chris-chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

And now my Switch takes a long nap while I try to get good at a fighting game again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

enojy posted:

Some things from the Internet are better left forgotten. Like, Ulillillia is okay, but I could've stood to have forgotten Chris-chan.

Ulillillia has steady employment now and he's working hard to improve while Chris is somehow getting worse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ulillillia has steady employment now and he's working hard to improve while Chris is somehow getting worse.

Ok maybe I heard about the wrong weird internet shut in but I thought I'd heard Chris came out as a woman and lives on disability now, and had completely gotten off the internet.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

who loving cares

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

When are Nintendo going to stop with the false scarcity because I want a Switch but I don't want to pay daft eBay prices for a used one.

ffs Nintendo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Frankston posted:

When are Nintendo going to stop with the false scarcity because I want a Switch but I don't want to pay daft eBay prices for a used one.

ffs Nintendo

What makes you think it's false scarcity?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok maybe I heard about the wrong weird internet shut in but I thought I'd heard Chris came out as a woman and lives on disability now, and had completely gotten off the internet.

Chris is making regular videos again.

On topic: Today is the last day to get Gunvolt as a free DLC character in Blaster Master Zero. He'll be $1.99 after. You can still grab the free DLC even if you don't have the full game for whatever reason.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Chris-chan recently sold an ugly sonic paper mache totem on eBay to a 4chan guy for thousands of dollars so I think they're cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only people who care about chris-chan anymore are weirdos who are more obsessive than they are. it's insane to me that people have been following this person's every single move and action for like a decade at this point. I don't even care that much about my fiance, much less someone I've never met and apparently hate. i hope chris-chan enjoys sonic forces and the thousands of dollars they got from their totem.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Andrast posted:

somewhere a clickbait article is born

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

On topic: Today is the last day to get Gunvolt as a free DLC character in Blaster Master Zero. He'll be $1.99 after. You can still grab the free DLC even if you don't have the full game for whatever reason.

Ok, how does this work? I checked for updates of Blaster Master the other day and saw none, and there didn't seem to be a dlc menu.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Andrast posted:

On the one hand, it almost certainly isn't. On the other, the Switch launched in kind of a weird month, could they not have held off a month or two to build supply? They did this with the NES Classic until they stopped making it too, and the Wii got hammered due to unexpected demand. I don't know what it is with their manufacturing and release pipeline but it really does seem like they don't even try to estimate American demand and then they get clobbered. I can't speak for other countries, obviously - is it even like this in Japan?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On the one hand, it almost certainly isn't. On the other, the Switch launched in kind of a weird month, could they not have held off a month or two to build supply? They did this with the NES Classic until they stopped making it too, and the Wii got hammered due to unexpected demand. I don't know what it is with their manufacturing and release pipeline but it really does seem like they don't even try to estimate American demand and then they get clobbered. I can't speak for other countries, obviously - is it even like this in Japan?

They made a ton of Wii Us and were burned for it. It makes sense that they would be more cautious with the switch at the start.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Frankston posted:

ffs Nintendo

I finally bit the bullet today, too. I'm sure Nintendo is working out distribution as best they can, but this was easily foreseeable. For a company with a lot of creative minds sometimes they are dumb as poo poo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok, how does this work? I checked for updates of Blaster Master the other day and saw none, and there didn't seem to be a dlc menu.

I just got him off the eshop, not in game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well they shipped more Switches than they did Wiis in the same time frame and the Wii was as holiday release. They even used air shipping to satisfy demand faster.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think the entire point of launching in a kinda weird month was so that the launch wouldn't line up with the summer or holiday seasons. Like, they intentionally launched at the time when demand would be lowest

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

From goons posting yes, they likely released this early so they could gage how many would sell after "telling the masses" at E3 and building up steam to Christmas. They were burned on game cube (Wii shortage) and on Wii U (Switch shortage) the NES classic was made from cheap hardware they still had. They stopped making it because they can't source hardware that cheap anymore, it's not worth it to them unless they jack the price up, which they can't without a ton of backlash. Even the Amiibo shortage they seem to have under control with reprints. They still get burned by making too many of some characters that end up at 60% off with Amiibos. Nintendo is very out of touch with their fanbase.

Have you ever worked in corporate? Management is always out of touch with their customers while everyone inside questions the decisions. If they made way too many Amiibos stores would be pissed about all the shelf space wasted on unpopular ones it's hard to gauge especially when scalpers get involved that abuse return policies. This is about the Switch though, and I'm constantly shocked at how many people know about it I thought it'd be a bit more niche since almost no one knew what a Wii U was.

e: There also might be a shortage in their supply lines and sometimes it's better to just get something out and build up the hype with happy customer than to let another company steal your hype at E3. MS is probably going to announce something that would have stolen some of the Switch hype is the Switch was around the corner. Remember the Dream Cast failed because everyone said "PS2 is out soon why should I buy this if the PS2 is going to be so much better".

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 16, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Nintendo did a better job of communicating what the Switch is, though. The commercials (dumb rooftop parties and all) show what the console looks like, the functionality it offers, and the name doesn't make it seem like a peripheral to the prior console model. The messaging with WiiU was initially confusing. I thought it was a tablet you could pair to the Wii as opposed to being its own unique console until I had a buddy get one at launch and invite me over to play ZombiU.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know this is the Switch thread, but my launch Wii keep ejecting the disc over and over again when I put it in. Feels like it takes 20 tries for it to finally accept the discs, but I can get it to work eventually.

Anything I can do about it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

SeANMcBAY posted:

"Hm, I haven't booted up Blaster Master Zero since 100%ing it, let me fire it u-

DESTROYER MODE?!"

:fap:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why didn't Nintendo wait until I finally decided I wanted a Switch to release it? loving IDIOTS

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

I know this is the Switch thread, but my launch Wii keep ejecting the disc over and over again when I put it in. Feels like it takes 20 tries for it to finally accept the discs, but I can get it to work eventually.

Anything I can do about it?

Call Nintendo. I'm not sure they still support Wiis though.

You could also try homebrewing it and just loading games from USB.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
My girlfriend picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris over the weekend and it's a lot more fun than I thought it'd be (even though the campaign is full of stuff that would have made me cringe if I were half as old as I am). We've probably played it a combined 10 hours since Saturday. Haven't even considered playing Mario Kart 8 yet

Sadly, we also noticed our pro controller has an issue where pressing down is sometimes down-left and sometimes down-right, which is awful in Tetris. I still haven't sent in my left Joy con, either, so it means I'm going to wind up having to ship all of my controllers off to Nintendo to get them repaired in some way or another. I leave the console docked 90%+ of the time and it looks like there's a slight bend in the system itself, too, which might eventually need service. Out of two NES, a SNES, VB, N64, GC, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, DS Lite, 3DS, 3DS XL, two New 3DS XLs, a Wii, and a Wii U, I've never had to send anything into Nintendo before and I'm 1-3 or (maybe 0-3 if the warping gets worse) with Switch hardware. I really like the system, but the initial batch had pretty bad QC and I can't imagine it's getting better with them increasing production numbers. :(

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can't speak for other countries, obviously - is it even like this in Japan?

It definitely isn't like that near where I live, in Finland. All the big stores I've checked have 10-15 units sitting on the shelf and I have never seen them sold out.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Why didn't Nintendo wait until I finally decided I wanted a Switch to release it? loving IDIOTS

*in internet posting voice* "wow Nintendo really stepped in it this time, if they'd just follow my advice they wouldn't be selling out all their switch stock

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cojawfee posted:

Did he get out of jail after macing that gamestop employee?

I believe he's a she now and jail free, but I'm not 100% positive.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Go to the Blaster Master page on the eShop, scroll down and there's a link to the DLC download.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They literally could not have, the entire reason they rushed it for March was to get it out before the fiscal year ended so they would have some money in the black for shareholders/etc. Whether that was a mistake or not is debatable but given their goals they couldn't have held off. I'm also not sure what would have been gained to delay sales solely so they could build up a stockpile of units?

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
dunno if anyone mentioned it or when it even happened but the disgaea demo is on the NA shop now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see how releasing could be a mistake. They sold a bunch of switches, they sold out. They sold more Zeldas than consoles. People are still clamoring for the switch. I think Nintendo is doing just fine.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I don't see how releasing could be a mistake. They sold a bunch of switches, they sold out. They sold more Zeldas than consoles. People are still clamoring for the switch. I think Nintendo is doing just fine.

actually nintendo died months ago.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tender Bender posted:

They literally could not have, the entire reason they rushed it for March was to get it out before the fiscal year ended so they would have some money in the black for shareholders/etc. Whether that was a mistake or not is debatable but given their goals they couldn't have held off. I'm also not sure what would have been gained to delay sales solely so they could build up a stockpile of units?
I didn't know that was a motivation! (The only gain would be software sales and fewer people complaining, but those of us who are complaining are still talking about the Switch so it's probably just software sales and honestly there isn't that much there.) It's just surprising to me given how good they are at actual games - and apparently if the supply issues are only in North America, how well they're doing elsewhere at not being constantly out of stock. That's all I'm saying :shobon:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I didn't know that was a motivation! (The only gain would be software sales and fewer people complaining, but those of us who are complaining are still talking about the Switch so it's probably just software sales and honestly there isn't that much there.) It's just surprising to me given how good they are at actual games - and apparently if the supply issues are only in North America, how well they're doing elsewhere at not being constantly out of stock. That's all I'm saying :shobon:

Keep in mind that NA is the single largest market out there, so it'd make sense if the stock constraints hit the hardest in the largest market. After the massive mistake of the Wii U, it was much more logistically and financially sound to bank on a slow roll out of consoles to market (especially in March) than to flood the market, especially with only really BotW as the major seller.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's pretty safe to say that they don't have another Wii U on their hands. A conservative guess is the Switch will hit 3DS levels of total sales.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

actually nintendo died months ago.

decades

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SeANMcBAY posted:

Call Nintendo. I'm not sure they still support Wiis though.

You could also try homebrewing it and just loading games from USB.

Eh... I haev the games I want. I assume a hard drive will cost more than just buying a used Wii if the drive is indeed about to die

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

Eh... I haev the games I want. I assume a hard drive will cost more than just buying a used Wii if the drive is indeed about to die

That's always an option but be careful since a lot of old used Wiis have similar issues. Try looking out for a cheap used Wii U as well since it can play Wii games and it's a great system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There needs to be a way to just search for games with demos. They need to get off their rear end and make a real eShop. I don't understand why this looks like they've never made an eShop before. This is missing tons of standard features.

• Locked thread