Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pall Mall in the US used to be a premium brand but a while back they rebranded it as a budget brand (same thing happened with L&M) and they're bad now. The unfiltered Pall Malls are still sold as a premium cig though, and they're really really good. Also I am going to die at the age of 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Huh? People here are stupid enough to smoke?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Life is short.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I wonder how much time this thread takes off our lives.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've only smoked cigarettes while poo poo face drunk so I have no preference.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Something I always suspected but was never able to confirm was that Camels in Canada were different in the state and were just a step above budget brands. I had a few packs and they never were that great.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Alberta banned Menthols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9WOdnR-Nfs

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

I wonder how much time this thread takes off our lives.

Not enough.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In Ontario we don't get any of the famous US brands. It's Players, Belmonts, and some other poo poo I don't smoke.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

In Ontario we don't get any of the famous US brands. It's Players, Belmonts, and some other poo poo I don't smoke.

I want to get a pack of Players entirely for the motorsport connection.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Player's were pretty good iirc. A little harsh compared to what I usually smoked though.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You used to be able to get the unfiltered lucky strikes in Germany. Germany used to operate on the honour system and have cigarette vending machines on the streets. I have fond memories of being 15 (in the days before cctv) and seeing one for the first time. The British kids were all "woah no poo poo, take my money!" While the German kids were freaking out and going "Nein nein! You haf to be 16 to use this!!!!!"

I think this says quite a lot about both nations tbh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always found it weird that Canada had like, their entire own cig market with brands you don't see anywhere else, like DuMaurier, and the weird Canadian Marlboros. Also those weird rear end sliding packs that I always love when I get a pack of Export As.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I want to get a pack of Players entirely for the motorsport connection.

I buy them for that reason. The were very crucial in developing our drivers for CART.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DuMaurier were my loving favorites but near the end they cost a god drat fortune and I switched to whatever that budget brand Marlboro was, think it was called next or something like that.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always found it weird that Canada had like, their entire own cig market with brands you don't see anywhere else, like DuMaurier, and the weird Canadian Marlboros. Also those weird rear end sliding packs that I always love when I get a pack of Export As.

DuMaurier's are pretty bad, you ain't missing anything. I think the Canadian Marlboro's might be regional.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I used to smoke Marlboro reds and hated myself for even partially supporting Ferrari during the Schumacher years :mad:

6 years smoke free now, hurrah!

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Jim we have Dunhills too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I always find it interesting that the two industries in the US that seem to have a lot of smokers are A. medical, and B. restaurant, both of which are industries that require a lot of cleanliness. Like nearly all my coworkers smoke at work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hey Jim we have Dunhills too.

I don't like the Internationals but the Fine Cut Blacks are some of my favorite filtered cigs.

Like 90% of the reason I'm into smoking is for aesthetic reasons so if we ever get those ugly plain packs Australia gets I'm quitting in a heartbeat.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

iospace posted:

I always find it interesting that the two industries in the US that seem to have a lot of smokers are A. medical, and B. restaurant, both of which are industries that require a lot of cleanliness. Like nearly all my coworkers smoke at work.

Both are extremely high stress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Indeed, and that's what my boss said when I told her.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Yup. Starting to fail college was the real catalyst for me starting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it depends where you live too. Smoking is falling hard in the US but in Seattle it seems like half the people I pass on the street are puffing away. Which is remarkable because a pack of Marlboros now runs like 9 bucks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Belmonts are $14.50 CAD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
When I went back home to my folks in Virginia I got a carton of Newport Reds for like $35. Shockingly enough Virginia has issues with people smuggling their cigarettes out of state.

Though that's still not as great as when the grocery store near me had a closeout sale where Benson and Hedges were $4.50 a pack.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have no clue how expensive cigs are here (don't smoke), but I know at least once a week, someone on my shift is going to go next door to the gas station and buy a pack.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I don't like the Internationals but the Fine Cut Blacks are some of my favorite filtered cigs.

Like 90% of the reason I'm into smoking is for aesthetic reasons so if we ever get those ugly plain packs Australia gets I'm quitting in a heartbeat.

I smoke due to racing's influence. Advertising worked on me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want to try Barclay's (they were Boutsen's sponsor iirc) based solely on their packaging.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I want to try Barclay's (they were Boutsen's sponsor iirc) based solely on their packaging.

Viceroy don't exist anymore (they were once the #2 cig in America, iirc) but once were a big sponsor of US motorsport, sponsoring Andretti in Indycars and F5000.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Were Hollywood cigarettes sold in the US or did they just appear on the cars of Brazilian drivers stateside?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Viceroy don't exist anymore (they were once the #2 cig in America, iirc) but once were a big sponsor of US motorsport, sponsoring Andretti in Indycars and F5000.

That is an airbox :eyepop:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

enri posted:

6 years smoke free now, hurrah!

:) Good job, keep it up!

Also, why the gently caress is there cigarette chat going? And no Renault Mild Seven livery?!

More importantly to my fellow Canadians...

GET YOUR ASSES TO CANADA POST RIGHJT W UFCKING NOW!!!

https://www.canadapost.ca/shop/f1-tm-in-canada.jsf

Check out those framed ones, god drat.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
All tobacco products in the U.K. are now sold in plain olive-green packs with a big photo of some poor fucker with cancer on it.

Wonder how that would fit as a car livery?

I'd upload a pic but Imgur seems to be very confusing to use these days and I can't see where to get the BB link.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

That is an airbox :eyepop:

Look up the Ligier JS5.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
F5000 was badass.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

F5000 was badass.

I have a new theory that the original CART was simply a continuation of F5000. I wonder what the US racing landscape would look like had it survived.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also, lol @ the French having a cigarette brand called "Gypsy".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Lola F5000 owned, as did Jody Sheckter racing it in a Shadow (same Shadow that ran F1 in the 70s) with a badass #00 livery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Interscope Lola was also tremendous, one of my favorite US liveries ever.

That thing couldn't scream 1970s any harder if it tried

• Locked thread