Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

Do you need to own one of the ships involved?

Hahahaha nope! You can literally stockpile upgrades for ships to other ships. People were using them to make sure they got LTI on ships during things like holiday sales or whatever. Basically you'd stockpile a bunch of CCU's for one ship to another, and then when they came out with a cheap concept ship that had LTI on it you'd snag a bunch, then CCU those to the ship that you have the CCUs for (keeping the LTI) and then CCU it again to whatever you decide you want. Since nobody ever knew the price of a concept ship until a week before it went up, people would blanket "buy" a shitload of CCUs across pricepoints so that they could use them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Hahahaha nope! You can literally stockpile upgrades for ships to other ships. People were using them to make sure they got LTI on ships during things like holiday sales or whatever. Basically you'd stockpile a bunch of CCU's for one ship to another, and then when they came out with a cheap concept ship that had LTI on it you'd snag a bunch, then CCU those to the ship that you have the CCUs for (keeping the LTI) and then CCU it again to whatever you decide you want. Since nobody ever knew the price of a concept ship until a week before it went up, people would blanket "buy" a shitload of CCUs across pricepoints so that they could use them later.

:psyduck:

You might as well have written that whole thing in kanji, I would have understood the same amount.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
What does LTI mean?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay, wow. I thought CCUs were just a direct transaction changing a ship you currently owned to something else.

This is news to me, and I've been following this show for 2 years now. How can anyone not think the entire ship marketplace is completely nuts?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also in other news today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcERgIlJk6g

This is good for Star Citizen because

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm now more confused than ever about the whole CCU thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chin posted:

Aside from the obvious grey market money laundering types, many of those comprising that "less than one percent" of the backers are the core whales. Of course people who've long since passed the Completionist milestone are going to want to keep their "investment" liquid.

Only CIG would be stupid enough to specifically target and chastise people who provide a significant portion of the cash for their money furnace.

Is it dumb if they want the megawhales to spend even more money when they know they will.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

XK posted:

I'm now more confused than ever about the whole CCU thing.

This. Holy poo poo.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Oh for gently caress's sake. Every loving time CIG gives those nerds half an excuse to gently caress themselves sore, they jump to the occasion like loving clockwork at occasion o'clock.

I really wasn't certain they could stomach that sort of derision but I guess they're really just waiting for an excuse to blame someone - anyone - other than CIG.

:bahgawd:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Kellanved posted:

What does LTI mean?
Lifetime insurance and it's something that there is no system for, there will never be a system for, nobody knows how it will work, it will not work, it will be useless, the developers have said it will be useless, etc.

For those of you who are confused about CCU stuff or the GM in general you aren't alone seeing as how not even THE MASTER OF SHIPS BEN LESNICK knows fully what's going on.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i guess in its infancy the idea was that ships would be hard to blow up and you'd lose them forever like in eve so LTI would be a great incentive to buy early but then ships are really loving easy to blow up so everyone else without LTI is perpetually and completely hosed

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Kellanved posted:

What does LTI mean?

Lifetime insurance. If your ship ever gets wrecked, you get a new one. Nobody has any idea how that will actually work in game. You can also trade LTI among your ships if you CCU one ship with LTI to another. The LTI token follows the CCU.

Holy poo poo. How is anyone thinking this is ok? I can't even bother to work it all out in my mind far enough to type out a full legible description.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Okay, wow. I thought CCUs were just a direct transaction changing a ship you currently owned to something else.

This is news to me, and I've been following this show for 2 years now. How can anyone not think the entire ship marketplace is completely nuts?

Cross Chasis Upgrade.

Basically you can upgrade from one ship to another. And if you have a CCU token, it used to be free. Last week they started charging $5 to do it. Now they are going to expire them instead.

More here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

And here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4b404k/psa_how_to_use_the_ccu_ship_upgrade_system_and/

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
How has no one registered julyblog.com?

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Why does CIG even need to worry about players hoarding CCU's, or even what ships players have, when there will be 9x the amount of NPC's.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

quote:

We have identified an issue related to the stockpiling of $0 CCU's. As we previously stated, there are more than 1.1 million unused CCUs in the system today. 1.05 million of these are $0 ‘cross trades’ and the vast majority of these are held, unused, by significantly less than one percent of Star Citizen backers. Some people have thousands of $0 CCU's on their account at this time, which is clearly an abuse of the system. A very small number of users are creating a scenario where they can get a limited ship in the future, without having put any value towards the right to do so. With a stock of $0 CCUs on their account, they can generate ships to sell to other users for their own profit.

If there 1.1 million unused CCU's, which are essentially ships, and the fleet number, which represents ships, is currently at 1,809,972, then actual player base must be drastically smaller than that. Unless there are loads of people who own the game, but not a ship to fly around in.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Kellanved posted:

What does LTI mean?

the undercoating

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
actually thats not really good enough as they literally sell coating for their ships that arent skins

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Cross Chasis Upgrade.

Basically you can upgrade from one ship to another. And if you have a CCU token, it used to be free. Last week they started charging $5 to do it. Now they are going to expire them instead.

More here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ship-upgrades

And here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4b404k/psa_how_to_use_the_ccu_ship_upgrade_system_and/

Yeah, I got the part about CCUs being a chassis change; one ship to another. That's simple enough to understand. I got a chariot, I can exchange it for another, might have to pay price difference. No problem there.

My confusion comes into play with people talking about holding onto CCUs. I can understand someone owning chariot A, and swapping it for chariot B, and potentially paying the price difference between the two. That's a simple and understandable exchange. Holding onto a chassis change option, I don't quite get that.

There seems to be a whole thing about hoarding CCUs, and I don't really understand the mechanics of what they are doing. Then Beet is saying you can stockpile CCUs.

I don't think I know how any of this works anymore.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

his nibs posted:

My question got answered so I guess we're all good :shrug:

:yikes:

Don't loving ask about reddit's private life

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:ohdear:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

XK posted:

Yeah, I got the part about CCUs being a chassis change; one ship to another. That's simple enough to understand. I got a chariot, I can exchange it for another, might have to pay price difference. No problem there.

My confusion comes into play with people talking about holding onto CCUs. I can understand someone owning chariot A, and swapping it for chariot B, and potentially paying the price difference between the two. That's a simple and understandable exchange. Holding onto a chassis change option, I don't quite get that.

There seems to be a whole thing about hoarding CCUs, and I don't really understand the mechanics of what they are doing. Then Beet is saying you can stockpile CCUs.

I think its so that when there is a sale, you have a CCU ready to use for the purchase. So people melt their ships ahead of time, and then wind up not using them because they decide not to buy?

Or maybe shitizens are just really really stupid

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

They can call it the "Sarsapariller Special"

Shots fired.

XK posted:

All the getting into the weeds about details of what the C++ specification technically describes about array initialization, that's a bad route to go down as a defense for alpha code, because I've read the C++ specs cover to cover, and nobody can remember every single one of those edge case details. Stick with good preventative practices, only get into doing risky optimizations for very specific final polish.

Seriously. Again, programmers read more code than they write, stop being mean to the people that follow you.

(I am currently documenting some code someone left behind. It's broken in places. FML & TGE)

XK posted:

Lifetime insurance. If your ship ever gets wrecked, you get a new one. Nobody has any idea how that will actually work in game.

And this was sold five years ago, so you'd think someone would have come up with a mechanic by now.

So....I'm thinking like a golf swing....

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Also in other news today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcERgIlJk6g

This is good for Star Citizen because

That game is amazingly fun in short bursts.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:yikes:

Don't loving ask about reddit's private life

In retrospect, agreed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

It's easy, just think of the ships as weird subprime financial derivatives products, all secured by the worth of ~the joy of future potential enjoyment of ~star citizen~~

in this analogy, the worth of a CCU is (𝛿J)/(𝛿t) where 𝛿J is the difference in joy derived from having the original ship as compared to the "upgrade", and also equal to the price difference (plus the conceived value of otherwise unavailable LTI) of upgrading your terrible bad ship to the promises of one that hasn't been seen in three dimensions yet

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Star Citizen: Fake Info, Fake Refunds, Fake News

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lladre posted:

Janssendalt *is* MOMA.

I have never understood what exactly your gimmick is.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

thatguy posted:

Star Citizen: Fake Info, Fake Refunds, Fake News

Watch your step, I'm about to engage in Active Trolling.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

XK posted:

The key to it all is that you can only CCU to a ship that's currently in-game.

Let's say CIG has ships A,B,C, and D on sale in-store ready to go. You buy Ship A, but can buy a "token" to change Ship A to any of the other ships. The token costs whatever the difference is in the price of the ships, and you get to keep all the other widgets that originally came with your Ship A (LTI, Alpa access, etc...). You can buy this token, but it's not used immediately on purchase, because maybe you decide you like Ship A after all, or whatever. Who knows.

Later on, CIG announces that they are going to be making ships E,F, and G. You really want Ship G instead of Ship D, but you want to keep your LTI, so you wait and wait and wait until it gets put in the game, and CCU your Ship D to a Ship G. That's how they're supposed to be used.

Now let's say you really really want Ship D, but you want it with LTI and they're no longer offering it. They are however offering a concept sale on Ship E and it comes with LTI. You buy Ship E - still in concept - then spend dollars to CCU it to Ship D - already in game - now with LTI even though they stopped "selling" Ship D with LTI three years ago.

NOW, let's say you think you're gonna want a Ship D way down the line, but you're not sure. So you buy a bunch of tokens for each of your ships to turn them into Ship D just in case you want to way down the line. You hold on to them, eventually they put Ship D in the game but it's twice as big and $100 more than it cost when you bought the CCU tokens. The token's value doesn't change, because it allows a straight trade and you paid the difference in value at time of purchase. So now you can take your Ship A and turn it into a Ship D for $100 less than it's currently selling for, AND you still have your LTI and game package and alpha access. Even better news, LTI Ship Ds are selling on the marketplace for $100 more than they're selling for on CIG's website, so if you sell it you're up 200 bucks. So in this case it's absolutely in your best interest to just stockpile CCUs to EVERY ship possible on the off chance you decide you want one or it triples in size and price and you can make some money.

They built an insanely lovely system and now they're mad at their users for min/maxing it.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 16, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:getin:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've read the posts explaining how CCUs work multiple times.

I still don't loving understand it. lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think it's fantastic they have this ultra-convoluted ship buying system and no game to use the ships in.

Star Citizen in a nutshell.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

his nibs posted:

My question got answered so I guess we're all good :shrug:

You seem to be confused, Cradle Robbing does not necessarily mean pedophile. In fact most of the time it does not mean that.

1500 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 16, 2017

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

:words:

They built an insanely lovely system and now they're mad at their users for min/maxing it.

It's ok, I'm sure when it's time to create the in-game economy it will be loving solid.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 16, 2017

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah the fact that the system exists as such is a symptom of the shady principles behind their whole funding model.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Time for the "Let's appreciate CIG efforts, you should be ashamed of having doubted them" and "God bless you for communicating with us" posts. Even tho they'll still have to pay their five bucks to upgrade.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Does anyone have those screen caps of Gremlich acting as a Fed threatening the violation of the 4th Amendment handy?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beet Wagon posted:

So you buy a bunch of tokens for each of your ships to turn them into Ship D just in case you want to way down the line.

This is where my confusion comes in. Buying/trading a straight upgrade from one chariot to another, I understand. It's this thing about buying multiple upgrades, or buying upgrades for ships you don't own, that I don't feel like I'm grasping.

Purchasing options for upgrades only makes sense to me in the realm of the stock market which wrecked itself over credit default swaps.

Maybe CIG can figure out how to sell bundled AAA rated insurance policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what even is this game supposed to be anymore?