Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I cuddle more cats tomorrow~ :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
I keep on catching Butters.

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/863722697427124224

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
That's some Grade A demon Butterfat kneading there.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
My foster is slooooowly bonding with me. She's started nibbling a little on her food and will eat treats, but prefers if I'm petting her as she eats. Her purr has gone from a barely perceptible rumble to a small motor, and she likes to nibble my fingers during pets. I lie down next to her hiding place, stick my arm under there, and she rubs her face all over my hand for as long as I'll let her. Yesterday she even stuck her head out long enough to give me headbutts, and today her two little front feet came out.

It won't be long before there will be more foster kitty selfies in this thread! :3:

I'm leaving town this weekend. My roommate will be here to feed her while I'm gone but she's shy around cats and probably won't give her half-hour pet sessions like I did. I'm worried about her feeling abandoned (and I'm sure I'm going to miss her too), since she just lost her owner and her caretaker. It's only two days; aside from putting some of my dirty clothes in her hiding spot, what else can I do? I really want to take the trip, because I'll be doing some skill-building I can't get anywhere else, but I don't want her to face any setbacks or abandonment issues this soon after losing her mom and home.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My foster is slooooowly bonding with me. She's started nibbling a little on her food and will eat treats, but prefers if I'm petting her as she eats. Her purr has gone from a barely perceptible rumble to a small motor, and she likes to nibble my fingers during pets. I lie down next to her hiding place, stick my arm under there, and she rubs her face all over my hand for as long as I'll let her. Yesterday she even stuck her head out long enough to give me headbutts, and today her two little front feet came out.

It won't be long before there will be more foster kitty selfies in this thread! :3:

I'm leaving town this weekend. My roommate will be here to feed her while I'm gone but she's shy around cats and probably won't give her half-hour pet sessions like I did. I'm worried about her feeling abandoned (and I'm sure I'm going to miss her too), since she just lost her owner and her caretaker. It's only two days; aside from putting some of my dirty clothes in her hiding spot, what else can I do? I really want to take the trip, because I'll be doing some skill-building I can't get anywhere else, but I don't want her to face any setbacks or abandonment issues this soon after losing her mom and home.

aw 2 days you should be fine, if you are extraordinarily worried, just get one of those auto laser thingies or some toys or something but just 2 days should be fine with a stinky sweatshirt and food and water

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

"NOT MY BUTTERRRRRRR!" :catstare:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dick Trauma posted:

"NOT MY BUTTERRRRRRR!" :catstare:

RIGHT IN THE BUTTERS!

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

"Safeword! Safeword! drat you, Chili!"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

So I went and I Cuddled More Cats today. I got a ton of headbutts and potato sacking and some very demanding little brats who were very happy to get some brushies.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

neongrey posted:

So I went and I Cuddled More Cats today. I got a ton of headbutts and potato sacking and some very demanding little brats who were very happy to get some brushies.

Some of them are in really teeny spaces. Those are just cubby holes or hiding spots, right, not their entire home?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Those in the tiny tiny spaces are curled up in a hidey hole section of a larger cage, but yeah, the individual cages are a little small. There's room for the cats to get up and walk around and lounge and there's two levels so it's not as bad as all that, albeit not great.

The cats in the individual cages are like that for one of two reasons; one, they maybe don't get on well with other cats, and for that reason are a bad fit for the condo rooms (which are quite spacious for a shelter, but are all multiple occupancy).

Two, they've been exposed to upper respiratory virus. We can't have that spreading around the shelter, so they get individual cages. The sneezekitties are straight-up the most affectionate of the lot that I have cuddled, those are the licker and the two brushies demanders in that gallery, eg.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
A buttery update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4sr4zcHhow

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man he's so slim now.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

neongrey posted:

these are some super cute cats! love the pics thanks

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

wow!!! I wish I was slimming as fast as you are, sir!

Looking good :)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

For some reason this makes me think of a Renaissance painting.

Edit:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 17, 2017

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The hand vac I originally bought to fight the hordes of stinkbugs at my place 3 moves ago has shaken the stink and taken up a new scent. Every time I use it now the house smells like catnip. This is fine.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I just got the news that poor little Holstein didn't make it. :( It's a real bummer, but it's also something that you kinda have to be prepared for with kittens. The mom Bessie is now available for adoption at the SPCA, and I had a lead on the Facebook for local fosters on someone who was interested in maybe adopting her so hopefully she'll get a forever home real soon.

In the meantime I'll be getting a different foster next week, because although I'm bummed that the baby died I know there's a ton more that still need help.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:smithfrog:

Well at least you didnt have to firsthand that, its always rough good job in trooping on friend you are both cool and good.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bless little Holstein, may his next life be full of catnip and pets.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

I Love coming back to this thread.

If anymore catface pics could make this thread, that would be great! I love that cat's expressions.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

(i feel kinda bad posting my muppet cat in this thread since it's not really foster/rescue related? sorry Chili! I post her a lot in the yospos catte thread though if you guys want more pics)

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Cat-loving coworker mentioned that this may actually be good for her, she can have some alone time to explore the space without my constant presence. Like most cats, she's more active at night, and she won't have to slink around if I'm not there. In addition, since my roomie's going to feed her, she can get used to roomie smells and that may make it easier for her to explore the rest of the apartment when the time comes. She's still really affectionate and loves getting pets, and I've seen her slowly starting to come out of hiding bit by bit (for example, if she wants to headbutt me, she has to come out a little because I can't fit my head under the bureau). Next week I'm going to start slowly keeping my hand outside of the hiding spot so that if she wants pets she has to stick her head out a bit. So, things are going well and I feel less bad about leaving her this weekend.

RIP little Holstein. I was really hoping she'd make it. :(

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Got off early today and was in the area so I visited the shelter for some cat petting.

That last little girl is only 6lbs :kimchi:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Today, we asked our rescue if they had a small bag of cat food we could have, since we're broke and running out, and not only did they give us two bags, they asked us to take in six kittens. Apparently there's a seventh in the hospital. Two of them might need supplemental feeding and one has an eye infection, but the big issue will be telling them apart. One is black, two are grey and white, and three are solid grey. Can anyone give us some tips on this one?

ETA: Did a hasty sexing and initial weighing of them tonight. Tried cloud names but they didn't sound right except for one. The rest are hurricanes. Here are names and how we're telling who is who.

Betsy: Very small, but curious. Medium grey with white belly and paws.
Hazel: Smallest. Longest grey fur, very quiet and well-behaved.
Only two under a pound. Need feeding.

Nimbus: Lots of black fluff. Cannot tell sex yet because of fluff.
Hugo: Short, dark grey fur. Shy.

Katrina: Medium grey and white. Lots of attitude.
Sandy: Medium grey. Giant attitude. Biggest kitten.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 21, 2017

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Boogalo posted:

Got off early today and was in the area so I visited the shelter for some cat petting.

That last little girl is only 6lbs :kimchi:

I MISS MY FRANDS

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Those are some pettable looking cats right there.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Today, we asked our rescue if they had a small bag of cat food we could have, since we're broke and running out, and not only did they give us two bags, they asked us to take in six kittens. Apparently there's a seventh in the hospital. Two of them might need supplemental feeding and one has an eye infection, but the big issue will be telling them apart. One is black, two are grey and white, and three are solid grey. Can anyone give us some tips on this one?

ETA: Did a hasty sexing and initial weighing of them tonight. Tried cloud names but they didn't sound right except for one. The rest are hurricanes. Here are names and how we're telling who is who.

Betsy: Very small, but curious. Medium grey with white belly and paws.
Hazel: Smallest. Longest grey fur, very quiet and well-behaved.
Only two under a pound. Need feeding.

Nimbus: Lots of black fluff. Cannot tell sex yet because of fluff.
Hugo: Short, dark grey fur. Shy.

Katrina: Medium grey and white. Lots of attitude.
Sandy: Medium grey. Giant attitude. Biggest kitten.

Colored ribbons around their necks? (Loosely, of course)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
spray paint different colors?

Festive hats?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

sneakyfrog posted:

Festive hats?

This one!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've seen folks use a dot of nail polish or something on puppies to avoid anything around their necks getting caught.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
When I was younger I knew a Siamese breeder (one of the good ones- she only bred maybe 1-2 litters per year and these cats all lived and roamed free in her house) and the funny thing about Siamese is that when they're first born they are all completely white. She used to tell them apart by putting a drop of different colored food coloring on the napes of their necks to temporarily and safely dye their fur, so that's one option though I dunno how well it would work on grey/black kittens.

Another option is one my SPCA uses, where they make collars out of paper for the kittens with names on them. The collars will only stay on a day or two usually, but if something were to happen and the collar got caught they'd tear apart safely. I've found when I had an all black litter that by the time the collars are ready to come off I've been able to tell the kittens apart by their faces/behavior.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Today, we asked our rescue if they had a small bag of cat food we could have, since we're broke and running out, and not only did they give us two bags, they asked us to take in six kittens.

Clearly they misheard you and thought you said "bag of small cats" :3:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yes, I would like 1 (one) bag of cattes, to go please.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
In case you were wondering what it's like to be owned by Butterscotch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KY9FdfyK-c&t=65s

That is 3x daily occurrence. He just walks around and fusses for no apparent reason.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Nobody's petting that poor magnificent cat!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

My cat does something similar. She got halfway up the stairs yesterday and started doing what could only be described as a deep mournful howl up the stairs. Then she turned and saw me through the spindles and she meowed in her normal banshee way once I had been spotted, then went about her business.

Silly howly cats. :3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Butters is really a gorgeous cat, especially now that he's looking a lot more svelte and healthy. You guys are doing an amazing job with him!

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Butters's whiny meows are killing me :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Butters's whiny meows are killing me :3:

His little voice is squeaking out "Don't feed me after midnight or get me wet"