Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

You seem to be assuming I had dropped packets before. A latency increase with no packet loss before or after is still a shittier scenario. That being said, I know full well that 89 ms isn't actually that terrible, I wasn't being serious about the NIN comment.

there are enough people being really loving stupid about this today and cancelling their accounts because of a loving 40ms ping increase that no comment is too out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

How bad NA people can have it anyway? I didn't see anyone mentioning 100+, which isn't just playable but actually good.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Shy posted:

How bad NA people can have it anyway? I didn't see anyone mentioning 100+, which isn't just playable but actually good.

I don't know what the old Excalibur IP was to compare my ping to.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
There's not really much meaningful difference for me in Australia. Plus I'd already chosen to play with friends on Cactuar rather than move to the unofficial Australian server as it was.

Given I normally play with +300ms ping it's amusing to see everyone freak out over small latency Increases.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Have you checked it? I think the move should benefit Australians somewhat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't know what the old Excalibur IP was to compare my ping to.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Office Surprise Store posted:

there are enough people being really loving stupid about this today and cancelling their accounts because of a loving 40ms ping increase that no comment is too out there

Tanaka wouldn't have allowed this to happen.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i'm impressed that the ffxiv forums arent as bad as i was expecting

if this was wow i think the entire dev team would have been murdered by now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oh my god i am getting so loving sick of people who know literally nothing about how network architecture works

ok listen up: the majority of problems existed before because of level3 dropping packets. they're still doing it right now. ping means less than nothing when architecture comes into play

that is a route right now, east coast, to the old server area. notice the * * * - that's a completely hosed up non-response. this is the new area.

you notice how there's no loving asterisks in the new one? that means packets aren't getting dropped, resulting in a massive improvement in gameplay. the REASON vpns allowed people to play was because you were bypassing level3

the short version is to stop freaking the gently caress out about ping
Tracert isn't really a good way to test for packet loss, the hop before last isn't dropping your packets it just doesn't respond to ICMP which isn't that uncommon and doesn't impact QoS. Not saying Level 3 doesn't suck, they do, but at least do a ping -n or something

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Well, looks like i'm up to 202ms now (though i can't remember my original ping in the first place)

What's the most lag-friendly class that i can level so i won't have to pay for a server transfer

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

You're really upset about some poo poo that didn't happen, do you need someone to talk to?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looks like I'm at 96 now on Time Warner in SC, but I can't remember what it was before.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

that is a route right now, east coast, to the old server area. notice the * * * - that's a completely hosed up non-response. this is the new area.

That's not packet loss, that's a hop configured not to respond to tracert.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm curious as to why they moved it clear across the country from florida to california, why wouldn't putting it in like texas or something be the best idea? That way it's in the middle.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Obligatum VII posted:

You seem to be assuming I had dropped packets before. A latency increase with no packet loss before or after is still a shittier scenario. That being said, I know full well that 89 ms isn't actually that terrible, I wasn't being serious about the NIN comment.

The fact that it was still the shittiest choice for me and the attitudes of some of the west coast posters in this thread still makes the whole situation feel spiteful though.

i wanted to let you know that i think people are being unfair to you, and i greatly appreciate all those times you stepped up and went to bat for people on the west coast who had way worse connections than that for the past four years. your self-sacrifice is humbling.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh wait, you didn't give a single poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm curious as to why they moved it clear across the country from florida to california, why wouldn't putting it in like texas or something be the best idea? That way it's in the middle.

They moved it from Montreal to Sacramento where they have a direct connection to a pipe between japan and the USA that they own. The server was likely in Montreal as a compromise location for the combined NA/EU datacenter because they had no idea that the game would actually succeed or not. Since there's an actual EU server now, no reason to not just park it in basically their backyard. IIRC Sacramento was also the location for FFXI.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

on the note of routing: i'm the retarded level3 connection that loops from philly to nyc before hitching a ride across the country with ntt

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

They moved it from Montreal to Sacramento where they have a direct connection to a pipe between japan and the USA that they own. The server was likely in Montreal as a compromise location for the combined NA/EU datacenter because they had no idea that the game would actually succeed or not. Since there's an actual EU server now, no reason to not just park it in basically their backyard. IIRC Sacramento was also the location for FFXI.

oh that makes way more sense

i have no idea where i heard that it was in florida

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Reiterpallasch posted:

oh wait, you didn't give a single poo poo.

We didn't have any more say in it than you guys did in getting them to put the servers somewhere not retarded now.

Enjoy your 8ms ping while you tell us all to check our privilege or whatever it is that drives your rage against the East Coast.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

yall need god and to get a drat grip

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Big east coast player here, my ping doubled and I don't care

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
My ping went up 7 ms and I am outraged.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
My ping to old Excal was around 260ms (220 now) and could do Titan Ex fine when it was relevant, so this whole discussion is moot.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

strong bird posted:

yall need god and to get a drat grip

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Big Ping, Big Life

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zaodai posted:

We didn't have any more say in it than you guys did in getting them to put the servers somewhere not retarded now.

Enjoy your 8ms ping while you tell us all to check our privilege or whatever it is that drives your rage against the East Coast.

I don't recall getting snippy about any of this until people came in and took out their frustrations on other posters in this thread. I don't recall ever making any comments, insulting or not insulting, about people from the east coast. I'm pretty sure my first reaction was "huh, that's weird, I wonder why they did it that way, there must've been a reason," and I did my limited best to contribute to the discussion. I suspect that, regardless of the displayed ping numbers, the majority of people on the east coast will see a subjective improvement in their play experience, since online gaming is about your worst-case packet performance and the worst-case routing from most places on the east coast to Montreal is still loving dire. I didn't have a weirdass hostile hangup where I treated people who lived in Quebec as personally responsible for ruining my life, and I'd be happy to give up my 8ms ping if there was a viable alternative that served more people.

and if you didn't have any say in where the serveres were placed, you definitely had the option to read what all the network people were saying in here and maybe trust us a little bit instead of deciding that you For Sure This Time are the expert on what counts as retarded and what doesn't in datacenter architecture

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for god's sake, i grew up in new england and i loved it there

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
gently caress, i've been trolled, haven't i

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

gently caress, i've been trolled, haven't i

it's really hard to tell at this point

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
When we get AI dungeon party members, I hope I can fill it out not with my squadies, but with my beastie besties, including the black mage crew.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean screaming about packet loss at a dude who wasn't having packet loss issues makes your whole 'i've been nothing but calm and reasonable' defense fall a bit flat

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
bad routing isn't equivalent to packet loss, though of course that's one of the symptoms. you'd rather have a steady 80ms ping than a 60ms ping that sometimes spikes to 150 for online gaming.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

bad routing isn't equivalent to packet loss, though of course that's one of the symptoms. you'd rather have a steady 80ms ping than a 60ms ping that sometimes spikes to 150 for online gaming.

that's what i get from speaking from personal experience whenever level3 decides i don't get to play tonight

and sure *** might mean that it doesn't respond but when i get a shitload of * 120ms * or * 990ms 30ms that's the routing loving up

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm literally looking at mtr to montreal on an amazon us-east-1 instance right now and even with no packet loss the latency is spiking around like a methhead's heart rate. that manifests as annoying inexplicable rubberbanding and client/server disagreement in a game.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
but what's ur ping

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skaw posted:

When we get AI dungeon party members, I hope I can fill it out not with my squadies, but with my beastie besties, including the black mage crew.

he's finally here
casting flare at you
he's the first member
of the black mage crew

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Reiterpallasch posted:

i wanted to let you know that i think people are being unfair to you, and i greatly appreciate all those times you stepped up and went to bat for people on the west coast who had way worse connections than that for the past four years. your self-sacrifice is humbling.

I never once actively was a snide rear end in a top hat to west coasters either. The server location was what it was and I absolutely would have been nothing but positive in reaction to the server going to a central location. My only solace is that the plight of australians may be lessened somewhat; they are the true gaming pariahs.

Skaw posted:

I always felt it was a crime that we couldn't get beast tribe squaddies.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 17, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
all of the australia-us cables terminate in the pacific northwest, sadly, though generally the hop from the pnw to california isn't too bad. probably better than trying to hoof it out across the desolate canadian heartland, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

I always felt it was a crime that we couldn't get beast tribe squaddies.
I would be okay just being able to recruit them to my blitzball team

• Locked thread