Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm still skeptical about this conclusion. For one thing, pitches Bonds sees at 0-2 are not going to have the same ball-strike ratio as pitches he sees at 3-0.

You may be overthinking this internet comedian's scenario of Barry Bonds playing baseball without a bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

You may be overthinking this internet comedian's scenario of Barry Bonds playing baseball without a bat

Have you actually watched the video? Because there's no way Jon Bois is just making a joke. He says himself he's trying to be as accurate as possible.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Anyone who didn't intentionally walk Barry at 3-0 was an idiot.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I think it was first written in one of BP's books that you could split Barrold's career roughly into thirds (86-93, 94-00, 01-07), and each third would be a borderline Hall of Fame LF by JAWS. I forget whether they mentioned that on the EW episode I linked.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is 2017 and we're getting a lackey vs arroyo game

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Darkest Timeline.

Edit: Although Len Kasper always seems to have fun calling Arroyo games, for whatever reason.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's actually the second Lackey vs. Arroyo game of 2017 :eng101:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Inspector_666 posted:

So I just got into a discussion about classifying the various balls in play with Ice Fist and I could have sworn there was a recent FanGraphs article about this very issue, specifically the difference between a fly ball, line drive, and pop-up. Anybody know which one I'm talking about?

So I found the article, but I think the responses to the Tweet Jeff sent when he published it are actually better.

https://twitter.com/jeffwzimmerman/status/860222343288934401

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

So I found the article, but I think the responses to the Tweet Jeff sent when he published it are actually better.

That graph is a big Melo fan.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Inspector_666 posted:

During aforementioned discussion I said that if a computer would try to classify a batted ball that was around 65mph exit velocity at 35 degrees said computer would literally explode during the attempt.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No, what I said was he was a known user who was found guilty of lying to court.

And that verdict got overturned, so no. It was a stupid irrelevant witch hunt and meanwhile McGwire continues to work in baseball, because he only used 'steroids for health reasons'.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

IcePhoenix posted:

This doesn't even do it justice. It was the bottom of the ninth and walking him made it a one run game

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67794252/v134341083/arisf-dbacks-walk-bonds-with-the-bases-loaded

I just want to note that there's an overlay in that clip listing "Mark McGwife" with 7 IBB and I had a good chuckle from it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh also here's a Q&A between Jeff Passan and Adam Jones. Definitely check it out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ice Fist posted:

During aforementioned discussion I said that if a computer would try to classify a batted ball that was around 65mph exit velocity at 35 degrees said computer would literally explode during the attempt.

I dunno anything at 0 degrees seems to defy logic.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

So i haven't followed baseball in any serious matter for years, but i've gotten back into it this season. Any goon-approved baseball podcasts I should check out?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

This doesn't even do it justice. It was the bottom of the ninth and walking him made it a one run game

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/67794252/v134341083/arisf-dbacks-walk-bonds-with-the-bases-loaded
Even more ridiculous, it worked! They got the next guy out to end the game.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Pancakes posted:

Just quickly, career defensive WAR:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

Ozzie was really drat good at defense.

In related news, Andruw Jones should go into the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Earth Table posted:

So i haven't followed baseball in any serious matter for years, but i've gotten back into it this season. Any goon-approved baseball podcasts I should check out?

Try Effectively Wild. Done by the Baseball Prospectus guys.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

elentar posted:

In related news, Andruw Jones should go into the Hall of Fame sooner rather than later.

In theory I'd be on board but I feel vindictive for the Jim Edmonds snub. No justice, no peace?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pancakes posted:

In theory I'd be on board but I feel vindictive for the Jim Edmonds snub. No justice, no peace?

Especially since Edmonds was a better hitter than Jones, by a fair bit. Although Jones seems like the better fielder, which is saying something.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I dunno anything at 0 degrees seems to defy logic.

There's a bunch of balls at exactly 0 degrees with random classifications, most likely data entry errors.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Especially since Edmonds was a better hitter than Jones, by a fair bit. Although Jones seems like the better fielder, which is saying something.

Edmonds was probably closer to an average fielder than anything, he just made a lot of highlight reel plays because he positioned himself like an idiot.

But still, even an average fielding CF with a bat like that not being in the hall is sad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

OR you punish ped use when players play and not have it matter for the HOF because everyone in baseball ever loving cheats at something.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Walrus posted:

how do you know how good of a player he would have been if he didn't cheat? you can have a pretty good idea, but you can never be sure.

Either PEDs are allowed or their use excludes you from the HOF, I'm not sure there's a middle ground.

*cooperstown vanishes suddenly*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Edmonds was probably closer to an average fielder than anything, he just made a lot of highlight reel plays because he positioned himself like an idiot.

But still, even an average fielding CF with a bat like that not being in the hall is sad.

On the other hand

edmonds.swf

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Citizen Tayne posted:

*cooperstown vanishes suddenly*

Having been to Cooperstown before I'm not 100% sure this is a bad thing, though I'd feel bad for basically the entire town losing their jobs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Walrus posted:

how do you know how good of a player he would have been if he didn't cheat? you can have a pretty good idea, but you can never be sure.

Because you take the player's results in the context of the environment he played in. Unless you want to start booting guys based on factor like pre-integration, the height of the mound, spitballs, etc

Also I can't believe we're having the "This HOFer wouldn't have been good without PEDs" discussion in 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Inspector_666 posted:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg

Roids don't matter if you have a .600 OBP without the bat!

You get a .600 OBP without the bat because pitchers are afraid of your 'roid-enhanced arms

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You get a .600 OBP without the bat because pitchers are afraid of your 'roid-enhanced arms

I know you're mostly just trying to stir poo poo, but you do realize that most of those pitchers were throwing with 'roid-enhanced arms...right?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Ambassador of Funk posted:

I know you're mostly just trying to stir poo poo

At least somebody noticed

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Luke Maile is hitting .030 for the season.

How is that even possible?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
From the New Yorker:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: Wrong thread

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Pretty darn good behind the plate in the absence of Russ Martin.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I went to today's Jays game, that's the second time in history I've seen them lose live. Estrada couldn't settle down and Osuna goofed it real bad.

My friend works for the Jays and she said Dickey came around saying hi to everyone who works there, giving hugs and handshakes, because Dickey is a good good man. She wanted to make him cookies but her boss wouldn't let her because he isn't a Blue Jay anymore. She had to make whatever dessert Morales and Estrada asked for, it was their turn apparently. :3:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Because the Jays don't even have a literal garbage pail to stick behind the plate while Martin is injured. He's pretty good defensively and he hasn't had a huge number of PAs so even one hit will bump that up but he is sucking with the bat

Punting Salty is looking like one of Gibby's dumber moves imo

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Berzerker posted:

My friend works for the Jays and she said Dickey came around saying hi to everyone who works there, giving hugs and handshakes, because Dickey is a good good man. She wanted to make him cookies but her boss wouldn't let her because he isn't a Blue Jay anymore.

I wonder if this is an actual baseball rule? Like you can't make baked goods if you're employed with a team for a member of another team just in case.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder if this is an actual baseball rule? Like you can't make baked goods if you're employed with a team for a member of another team just in case.

I would assume they lump it in with tampering rules. Few future free agents can resist delicious fresh made cookies.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Obviously that's how the drugs got in Colabello's system, he got a tainted cannoli from the Yankees kitchen staff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Walrus posted:

Couple pages back but lol at people thinking Bonds should be in the HoF. Sorry, cheaters don't get in. He was a very very good cheater, yes. If he hadn't cheated he would have still been better than 99.999% of players. It's too bad but there's no 'oh you were this good so cheating is ok' threshold

Should Willie Mays be in the hall?

• Locked thread