Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ZearothK posted:

Gypsies are pretty much the only group that you can be prejudiced against in all (most?) of Europe without social consequences.

I was really digging that Netflix supernatural drama thing a few years ago, Wolf Creek or whatever, right up until I realized that they were actually going with "Roma are magical thieves with no respect for the law or society" as a thing that was actually real in the story. It's not just Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

I was just reading about an in-game story event in Elite: Dangerous being ruined by a player named Harry Potter (so the planned novelization has to awkwardly work around the unusable name), and I look forward to more massively player determined storylines in things. The Boy Wizard can and must ruin the oWOD.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dammit Who? posted:

I was just reading about an in-game story event in Elite: Dangerous being ruined by a player named Harry Potter (so the planned novelization has to awkwardly work around the unusable name), and I look forward to more massively player determined storylines in things. The Boy Wizard can and must ruin the oWOD.

The thought of this gave me a smile.

We can do this, goons.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let's make elder Hardluck canon.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Let's make elder Hardluck canon.

My thought was make the most obnoxious Mary Sue vampire (somehow related to every canon character, like Sam Height but not since bringing him back would be too obvious) with the most obnoxious sheet and take them on the road, since I'm assuming that whole thing where you can go to out of state games and gently caress with their plot if they're org affiliated is still a thing. (In that case, maybe just exchange the character between players if that's allowed, since I doubt anyone wants to waste money going on a road trip just to troll White Wolf.)

I don't LARP though. It's just an amusing thought.

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 15, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You joke, but the resident By Night is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life. This is a small city in Brazil, the sewers (we don't even have sewers in most of the city IRL) is a literal labyrinth from Dungeons & Dragons filled with monsters created by the Nosferatu and Tzimisce to wage war upon one another. It is also full of Gary Stu elders connected to major events in Europe, one that comes to mind is a Setite, a bastard child of Alexander the Great with a priestess of Isis who has somehow ended up here (also his bio makes it a point to mention that he has three female ghouls, one red-headed, a blonde and a brunette). And the head of the Tremere Chantry is a childe of Etrius with several custom blood magic paths. Also there is a Malkavian mad scientist who has built plasma-swords.

And yes, the GM's were notorious for creeping on any women playing.

And you know, that would be awesome (except for the creeps) if it was played as straight up urban fantasy, but the people taking part of it treat it like it is some reverent night drama. I've since lost contact with our By Night chapter, but I think they are very happy with the new "mature and provocative (for a 13 year old)" path Swedish Dracula has promised.

Anyways, let's make Elder Hardluck a thing.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
You guys are making me want to get into VtM just so I can help make Elder Hardluck canon. I've never actually played a real oWoD game. Bloodlines is the most I've interacted with it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bear in mind that what Swedracula means by "LARP" and the Vampire LARPs that people have actually been playing for twenty-five years are very different things. He's emphatically not talking about MET.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Notes on the playtest from an OPP forums poster. Who knows about accuracy.

"ALL OF THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE IN THE FINAL PRODUCT

Only 3 Attributes - Physical, Social and Mental, 1-5 dots
Specialities for these Attributes like Strength, Charisma etc (the old atts) and others that were not old Atts add one die
Skills pretty much unchanged 1-5 dots
TN nearly always 6
Difficulty is now number of succs. needed
Disciplines are activated by "Rousing the Blood"
This means you add all your (red) Hunger die to the pool (they replace ordinary die). We started with 1 die.
Hunger die only added to skill based pools (including pools that use skills for disciplines) but not others like willpower.
Hunger die track 1-5
Hunger increased during play, but it happened to me only once and I cant recall the mechanical cause
Hunger went to zero when someone fed
Victims sometimes gave a small bonus to trait rolls (eg. the homeless guy gave a die for the next stealth roll I think). This was even when partially drained.
Each 1 on Hunger die triggers a Compulsion
Compulsions are clan based and the consequences situation based and were randomly generated. Our hungry Toreador walked into a burned out haven and became entranced by the beauty of the destruction. Police then crept up on him.
Compulsions could be overcome with Composure, but this left you with less Compusure to counter with should a Frenzy occur later.
Frenzy occurred when more 1s came up together (I think)
Willpower was 1-5 and could be spent to reroll all the failed dice, so long as there was at least one success
Humanity was in there at 1-10, but was not tested or afaik used in the beta, the focus was on other mechanics
Characters also had advantages like backgounds and merits, but these too were not a focus of play
The focus was really on how the mechanics and storytelling aspects of play integrated with one another
Im not going to give my views as I want that to brew for a while and to submit it to the offical feedback place first
The story was very dense - I dont think any table completed it in the 4 hours of play - and was a direct folow up to the events of the Enlightenment in Blood LARP which concluded the night before. The story became the first event of the new VtM metaplot.
It was set in Berlin in the current nights during an Anarch uprising that saw the final death of Breidenstein and numerous other vampires as well as follow up trouble coming from the Inquisition. We were all Camarilla neonates trying to find the vampire who had blood bonded us all. It was a clusterfuck. There were several classic moments in the story where the Hunger mechanics produced a genuine 'Vampire' moment.

I made one reporting error in my earlier post, the Anarchs are being forced out of the Camarilla, of course. But its a changed Camarilla, almost broken. The Anarchs are basically turning on a tyrannical, despotic organisation. The events in Berlin were the catalyst for a global change, as the Anarchs pulled the Camarilla to its knees here last week.
Generation was still in development but the idea talked about was that it would be less discernable and more difficult to know which generation your character or anothers actually was. Line of descent may be growing murky to the characters.
Gehenna (the actual events of any ToJ metaplot) was not revealed but my sense is that V5 will feature a selection of elements from ToJ blended togther into a new version of Gehenna which for now we only know as the Gehenna Wars. "

Oh boy. Murkier lines of descent. It's not like the beauty of vampiric lineage charts is my jam or anything.

(A pox on you, Svedracula. A POX ON YOU.)

EDIT:

"on combat - oh yeah! mostly between the characters as the situation was really intensive and desperate.
You could rouse the blood to increase any Attribute not just Physical. Also to heal.
Damage was really interesting, it came as either Superfical or Aggravated. Anything that could conceiveable kill you was Aggravated for you. Aggravated damnage was also very slow to heal.
You didnt take any penalty or injury until a certain level was reached (5 I think) then you took a nasty consequence that was dependent on the type of damge used.
The fighting was between the coterie members, the coterie and the German armed forces, the coterie and some very well equipped dudes who were likely New Inquisitors, and the coterie and some Anarchs. It worked well and was entertaining.
By the way, a little bird sitting in the middle of the nest told me that EDOM from Nights Black Agents were bring ported or adapted into WoD...check out The Dracula Dossier for more on that little insight...and you'll realise this could easily be and priobably will be part or even the heart of the New Inquisition."

EDIT2:

Oh sweet jesus. I asked why they were fighting the German army.

"There was media reporting about terroists attacks after vans were driven into vampire havens. "

Loomer fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 15, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suppose if you're going to hire Ken Hite to write for your vampire game, 'The modern intelligence apparatus finds the vampires and is going to start ruining them' is going to come up. That's kind of his wheelhouse.

Though it feels more like it'd work in a Requiem thing, what with the undercurrent of vampires being like gangsters rather than actual secret masters of the world.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That all sounds pretty bad.

I think the Edom thing is bullshit because it's not self-published and Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan did most the heavy lifting on those. Unless Pelgrane is like Image Comics, which I doubt, that person is just making stuff up. His Osprey book on the US's secret war on the Mythos is most likely his Delta Green research in a non-Delta Green package so I imagine it's something like that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, unless Ken himself owns EDOM I don't see a direct port of them at all.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Loomer posted:

Murkier lines of descent. It's not like the beauty of vampiric lineage charts is my jam or anything.

Kinda makes sense though. Even forbidden, diablerie was a lot more common than people liked to pretend. And that can blur up some lineages.

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 15, 2017

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I actually like the sound of those rules, hunger does sound way more interesting blood points, and the compulsion trigger appears to be fun. I didn't like the skill list being preserved, because that thing needs some serious cropping.

On the other hand the (meta)plot sounds awfully convoluted at best, given that apparently no group managed to complete the scenario.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, that Hunger mechanic sounds neat. That combined with all the other changes to setting and mechanics makes it seem like they don't actually care about preserving a direct lineage with the previous editions (which isn't necessarily bad), but then why the gently caress stuff ATTENTION: NOT CANON sidebars and other changes into a related but very different gameline.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The mechanics don't sound bad, but it would be mildly annoying making sure you have separately colored dice available for everyone and keeping track of which is which.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
a little off topic but i'm reading one of the F&F reviews for Kindred of the East and I'm unable to contain my laughter so I need to draw everyone's attention back to:

"You drank the blood of a dead thing ? (sound of a vampire's head being torn off and tossed into a dumpster) Then that's where you belong!"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Year of the Lotus was a hell of a trip.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've played KotE and Hengeyokai, AMA.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've played KotE and Hengeyokai, AMA.

why

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I did an exhaustive review of Hengeyokai? Is that worse?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kurieg posted:

I did an exhaustive review of Hengeyokai? Is that worse?

Since reading it a few days ago gave me some good laughs I'd say it was a good deed you did.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I'm really not sure whether KotE or Hengeyokai is funnier.

E: I'm gonna tentatively say KotE just for sheer linguistic nonsense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Xinder posted:

Since reading it a few days ago gave me some good laughs I'd say it was a good deed you did.

Might I point you at the Children of Gaia: Revised review then? You'll probably laugh even harder at that.

Mors Rattus posted:

Does KOTE have something roughly equivalent to Lunar Hero Sentai Gaiamon?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It has the mere name 'kuei-jin' which broadly translates to 'the word for a toku villain', and it has the ghost-flame squiggle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, Hengeyokai uses the term Bakemono to refer to Formori, wheras Hengeyokai is a made up nonsense word(but one they could probably trademark!) and Bakemono is literally what Kitsune and Tanuki are (it's a class of Yokai that roughly translates to "a thing that changes".

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mors Rattus posted:

I'll give it a read next.

Mors Rattus posted:

So far I think Hengeyokai was more broadly ridiculous, but it didn't have anything so outstanding as "(slam dunks your head in a garbage can) nothing personnel kid"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

For a few years now, I've had a weekly or biweekly game with a GM that can best be described as 90s White Wolf personified.

It's fun a train-wreck sort-of way.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Kurieg posted:

wheras Hengeyokai is a made up nonsense word(but one they could probably trademark!)

The henge part, incidentally, just means to change (in this case to change shape), which is something almost every youkai story involves, so it is basically a neologism that translates to something like "changing-changeling" or "shifting-shapeshifter." There's a Japanese LP of VTM: Bloodlines on nicodouga, a site whose format involves users leaving timestamped comments that scroll across the screen during playback. When the playthrough got to the shark monster and the hunter character mentioned it was called a hengeyoukai, one comment asks, very roughly, "so, just a normal youkai then?"

Kindred of the East has the worse apprehensions and mangling of East Asian culture, but if you're asking more about what's generally sillier and can be played for laughs, probably Hengeyoukai. Far fewer boiled babies.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Plus, you know, WEREWOLF SENTAI is pretty hilarious and I think even the Japanese would laught at SAMURAI PIZZA SHARKS rather than being offended.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I will stick-fight anyone to the death if they took Hengeyokai so seriously that I and other players could not make a team that consisted of one elderly Ratkin/Nezumi and four teenage Mokole/Zhong Lungs.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It's worth pointing out that, as far as I can tell, "hengeyokai" is a pure D&Dism, jamming together henge (shapeshifters) and yokai (monsters, spirits) as aforementioned. As far as I can tell they literally sourced it from Oriental Adventures.

Oriental loving Adventures.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

MonsieurChoc posted:

For a few years now, I've had a weekly or biweekly game with a GM that can best be described as 90s White Wolf personified.

It's fun a train-wreck sort-of way.

"90s White Wolf personified" doesn't sound like something I'd take as a compliment.

But I have to admit that the best games I've been a part of could be accurately described as "beautiful trainwrecks"

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Can anyone toss me in the direction of a good online wiki of some kind for monsters? My players are ready to research various spooky things and I could always use more ideas.

Wikipedia WORKS but the White Wolf wikis are usually pretty slim on details for various creepers.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
What kind of monsters? As in, stuff that already exists for CofD, or just general folklore?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

crime fighting hog posted:

Can anyone toss me in the direction of a good online wiki of some kind for monsters? My players are ready to research various spooky things and I could always use more ideas.

Wikipedia WORKS but the White Wolf wikis are usually pretty slim on details for various creepers.

If you're not adverse to dropping cash, I'm a fan of the Book of Unremitting Horrors for gumshoes. It has some well done monsters in there. Also some that may push the line a little much. But I think it's a solid book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

There was a GURPS book, "Creatures of the Night," that had some good poo poo, and also helpfully was not slavishly devoted to folklore.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
[url=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/59880/Hunter-Horror-Recognition-Guide]Hunter Horror Recognition Guide[/url[ is good. All the fluff is in character as artifacts too, so you could give the PCs parts or even the whole book.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008

crime fighting hog posted:

I haven't looked through it much but I always thought the SCP Foundation was a great source for creepy WoD stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

LimitedReagent posted:

I haven't looked through it much but I always thought the SCP Foundation was a great source for creepy WoD stuff.

Seconding this. Obviously a lot of it (probably most of it) is completely garbage, but you don't have to look too hard to find something good and useful in my experience.