Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

I'd almost be willing to forgive FMW4 Hard Mode if bosses couldn't cast spirits, but even then there's awful poo poo like the chapter where you get spawned into the middle of 40 bats that have 9000 HP and super-high evasion in a Night stage while also spawning killer danmaku fields and prioritize attacking your mission critical unit over anyone else. It's loving garbage.

Also, the items you get on Reimu route are better and route splits stop existing halfway into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
FMW3 wasn't very kind to the SDM but I find it darkly humorous how FMW4 has pretty much rendered all of them except Meiling completely obsolete.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Koakuma exists

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

I used Sakuya, Meiling, Koakuma and Patchouli in my playthrough and I had to drop Sakuya halfway in because she was just doing absolutely nothing. I don't even use Meiling for anything either besides a backrow for Yumeko.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

You might possibly want more cash to max upgrade all of the cool new units who join in the fourth game (even though they all join at 50% upgrades anyways) so I guess she has a use???

FMW4 feels the most like a modern SRW game in that its character balance is completely busted, with clear developer favorites (the Buddhists are all sporting bootleg Lamda Drivers while the EoSD crew are lucky to even have a half decent spirit set). This isn't strictly a bad thing, as I feel like there's greater variety in possible playstyles and themed runs because of it, but if you're not really into SRW gameplay there is basically no point to picking like half the cast.

Also, if you do decide to play FMW: pick Marisa Normal. Before FMW4 I would've recommended Hard since even though it makes FMW1 excruciating it really makes FMW2 (and to a certain extent FMW3) better, but FMW4's Hard is more Lunatic- than Normal+ and it's really really awful.

And no, you don't miss out on anything at all by not taking Reimu's route. Well besides the secret Sakuya route in FMW1, but ahahahaha like you're going to be using anyone from that route not named Meiling by endgame.

You miss out on seeing the unique missions for the series greatest character, and talking to the turtle

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Any chance some of this imbalance gets patched? AKA has the dev addressed game imbalances with patches before or just bugs? Playing though FMW2 again since I want a playthough with Marisa as main so I have time. Apparently ng+ saves do not transfer and all I had were Reimu game clears.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You might possibly want more cash to max upgrade all of the cool new units who join in the fourth game (even though they all join at 50% upgrades anyways) so I guess she has a use???

FMW4 feels the most like a modern SRW game in that its character balance is completely busted, with clear developer favorites (the Buddhists are all sporting bootleg Lamda Drivers while the EoSD crew are lucky to even have a half decent spirit set). This isn't strictly a bad thing, as I feel like there's greater variety in possible playstyles and themed runs because of it, but if you're not really into SRW gameplay there is basically no point to picking like half the cast.

Also, if you do decide to play FMW: pick Marisa Normal. Before FMW4 I would've recommended Hard since even though it makes FMW1 excruciating it really makes FMW2 (and to a certain extent FMW3) better, but FMW4's Hard is more Lunatic- than Normal+ and it's really really awful.

And no, you don't miss out on anything at all by not taking Reimu's route. Well besides the secret Sakuya route in FMW1, but ahahahaha like you're going to be using anyone from that route not named Meiling by endgame.

I'm definitely going to use Komachi in the endgame.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

In a few cases, yes. Mima's Ancient Moon ability in FMW3 used to make all her attacks Post-Movement, that got patched out. In the demo for FMW4, Iku's all graze skill wasn't an active command, it was just on the entire time, they patched that out. I think they made Yuyuko's evasion ability worse somehow in FMW4? but it's still incredibly good so whatever.

It's possible they might nerf the Buddhism skill and make it scale worse. I dunno if they'll do anything about Yorihime or Toyohime. They didn't really seem that good to me, but I didn't try using them for too long before I benched them so maybe there was something I missed.

Nook fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 17, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nook posted:

I dunno if they'll do anything about Yorihime or Toyohime. They didn't really seem that good to me, but I didn't try using them for too long before I benched them so maybe there was something I missed.

Shouldn't those names be a spoiler?

No one else even mentioned them as overpowered, so I'm not sure why you felt the need to refute that. They're pretty good but that's the least you should expect from a 3.5 cost unit.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Nook posted:

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 might be? At the very least it's infinitely better designed than the first game, and IIRC the plus disk balanced out most of the broken poo poo in the vanilla game.
I guess the bar for Touhou fangames is pretty low, but man. If you want a game that's good at nothing and mediocre at everything, and goes on for way too long, Touhou Labyrinth 2 is the video game for you.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
much like my posting

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

is Fantasy Maiden Wars okay to play if I know jack poo poo about SRW?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I played through all of Battle Moon Wars and the first Fantasy Maiden Wars before I even knew there was such a thing as SRW. So yes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There are some mechanics that they never bother to explain and don't make all that much sense (like size penalties/bonuses), but it's certainly playable.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

it's fire emblem but everyone has RPG spells

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sea Sponge Run posted:

So besides Fantasy Maiden (which I've never gotten in to despite its popularity, mostly because it seems a bit hard for somebody like me to understand), have their been any cool fan games released in the past, ohhh....five or so years?

I have Genso Rondo on the PS4 but it's kinda...

Please play Marisa and Alice 2 and fantasy explorer nitroid

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Nitroid is good, i've played it. A bit hesitant on MariAri 2 due to my experiences with no. 1 unless it is massively better

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

They're completely different games. MariAri2 is like a two character puzzle game not a Mario and Wario clone

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/864892143139028992

Is this any good/worth caring about? Haven't paid attention to much of what NIS is putting out but that's mostly because I don't have a PS4.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

finally, a reason to buy a switch

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

This game looks pretty trash, actually.

And also who even makes a game starring only the EoSD crew nowadays what is even up with that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/864892143139028992

Is this any good/worth caring about? Haven't paid attention to much of what NIS is putting out but that's mostly because I don't have a PS4.

I'm Meiling's missile tits.

But I have no clue how good this game is, never played it or heard of it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Imagine walking into walmart and seeing Reimu on the shelves. What a world

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

a cartoon duck posted:

This game looks pretty trash, actually.

And also who even makes a game starring only the EoSD crew nowadays what is even up with that.

This was also my first reaction.

You're gonna put Flandre on the cover but not like, Marisa

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I bet in the next game they'll have a Bad Apple remix too.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?
For other fangames, I'm having my share of roguelike-fun with Genso Wanderer on the PS4. It's a pretty clear derivative of the Shiren Mystery Dungeon series, but with Touhou characters and their accessories (up to DDC). The main story dungeon is fairly straightforward, but there's a lot of side-dungeon content too that I haven't touched yet, that also have the classic "everything starts off unidentified" template. I'd give it an easy recommendation for those interested in the genre.

Also, gently caress Ran enemy types, randomly knocking away and destroying my equipment

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Leviathean posted:

For other fangames, I'm having my share of roguelike-fun with Genso Wanderer on the PS4. It's a pretty clear derivative of the Shiren Mystery Dungeon series, but with Touhou characters and their accessories (up to DDC). The main story dungeon is fairly straightforward, but there's a lot of side-dungeon content too that I haven't touched yet, that also have the classic "everything starts off unidentified" template. I'd give it an easy recommendation for those interested in the genre.

Also, gently caress Ran enemy types, randomly knocking away and destroying my equipment

Cool, that one was shown running on a Switch at Reitaisai

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Leviathean posted:

This could scratch my Mystery Dungeon itch since Super Mystery Dungeon wasn't very good.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
WIth regards to FMW and original characters, how much do the Giant Catfish and Yuuka have to do with them? Are they cohorting and those two along with Meeko serving as Makura's Typical SRW Band Of The Final Boss's Lackeys? Or are they just hanging out in the dream world because why not?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I want genso wanderer but I'm an extremely poor woman who can't shell out $60 for a fangame at the moment

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

WIth regards to FMW and original characters, how much do the Giant Catfish and Yuuka have to do with them? Are they cohorting and those two along with Meeko serving as Makura's Typical SRW Band Of The Final Boss's Lackeys? Or are they just hanging out in the dream world because why not?

Catfish is a nightmare created by Makura. I mean, he's real in the dream world, but he's a creation. So's the Hisoutensoku robot, although you manage to hijack it. Yuuka is just hanging out nearby because she's another resident of the dream world (Mugenkan). She decided to be neutral in this conflict, although she really wants to fight you anyway, because that's how she rolls.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I played Genso Wanderer for free and it is not worth 60 bucks. It's a 30 dollar game at best, imo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Nitroid is good, i've played it. A bit hesitant on MariAri 2 due to my experiences with no. 1 unless it is massively better

Where's the fan games megathread?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's here.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Namtab posted:

Where's the fan games megathread?

Let's restart it, buddy

It'll be like old times

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

iospace posted:

I'm Meiling's missile tits.
I'm Lumia.

Considering how massively popular the EoSD group still is, it wasn't a bad decision, but they probably should've made a whole new game than remake an old game with fancier graphics.

Leviathean
Oct 22, 2012

?

Clarste posted:

I played Genso Wanderer for free and it is not worth 60 bucks. It's a 30 dollar game at best, imo.

It's 40$ US now on Amazon, which i feel is a decent price for something niche like this.

The physical copy came with a second game attached, Double Focus, which I haven't touched yet. Hopefully it's also good? :ohdear:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Double Focus is good, but super short. You could probably 100% it in under an hour if you know what you're doing. Given that it has a time-attack mode, it's probably designed for speedrunners.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I can't really speak for the non-shmup stuff in Touhou because of lack of interest, but as far as shmup fangames I think Phantasmagoria Trues (a remade and updated version of Phantasm Romance) is really good.

Also I generally just kind of look at Jaimers's Youtube channel to see what Touhou fangames he says are any good. IKUSAAAAAAAN! seems really cool as a unique spin on shmups where you have toggleable invincibility you can keep up a majority of the time, and I think all the stuff made by the Marine Benefit team is solid. I think Shining Shooting Star was incredibly impressive as well, along with anything that team makes (some Chinese group I believe). I'm actually not very high on Concealed the Conclusion in comparison to the other good shmup fangames but it's a good and well known one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Genso Wanderer is a pretty solid Mystery Dungeon game going off my time with it, though I will mention that the translation can be pretty all over the place most of the time, leading to a lot of moments where you can tell negative effort went into translating a joke.

Honestly the most surprising thing about the Switch ports to me is just it revealing that the whole Play Doujin stuff had no exclusivity deals or anything of that sort.

Oh, also for a pretty solid fangame, Koumajou Densetsu 2 (Touhouvania 2) is a good take on the traditional Castlevania style that controls more like the modern ones did.