Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I started reading Rip Haywire. I'm digging it so far

I was not expecting them to OMD his marriage & child to Breezy, only to have him wind up marrying Breezy & having a kid anyway. Did they ever explain why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I think he just didn't like the way it turned out but still wanted it to go that general direction?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have no idea why that happened or what difference it ended up making

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Apr. 7, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Apr. 7, 1985)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The most lasting and noticeable change is RJ was aged down from a teen. I think it was just an excuse to shake up the world a little because the writer was getting bored.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

The most lasting and noticeable change is RJ was aged down from a teen. I think it was just an excuse to shake up the world a little because the writer was getting bored.

Also, there were a bunch of Gocomics commentators complaining about the Breezy marriage because they thought Cobra was supposed to be Rip's OTP. I half suspect Thompson staged the Catpocalypse just to gently caress with them.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Intelligent life feels so insulting it's painful. It's another embodiment of using references in place of humor as if that's entertaining.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Intelligent life feels so insulting it's painful. It's another embodiment of using references in place of humor as if that's entertaining.

Manchildren who communicate in 30-year-old commercial jingles are like catnip for the babes. Just look at Ted Forth!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

RandomPauI posted:

Like the book Ready Player One.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Henson died, Gilchrist lives. There is no God.

Dustin

Mandrake

There's been a lot of cruise ship stories in this thread lately.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 16, 2017

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I started reading Rip Haywire. I'm digging it so far

I was not expecting them to OMD his marriage & child to Breezy, only to have him wind up marrying Breezy & having a kid anyway. Did they ever explain why?

I think it was to screw with the fans who were pissed that Rip and Breezy got married, because they wanted him to hook up with Cobra.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it was to screw with the fans who were pissed that Rip and Breezy got married, because they wanted him to hook up with Cobra.

It also let them handle the wedding on-page as opposed to "on Sunday when no one was looking" like they did it originally.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

Slylock Fox and Comics for Kids

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
These crims in Phantom aren't very smart.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kennel posted:

Mandrake
I want someone to make a Mandrake movie and have him dress like that and having him be dressed like that be the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

Hell, the movie writes itself; a magician that goes by "Mandrake" gets hired to perform on a cruise. A murder happens and he has no time to change from his performance clothes as he's swept up into the middle of the drama. Oh wait ...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, SBC suggests some sort of comedy angle. I wonder if they'll do the actually-magic thing or if they just bought the name.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

TRANSLATE THE drat SOUND EFFECTS, SOME GUY TT

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (Apr. 7, 1995)

In case you were wondering about it, here is that ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSqeJSCSsw&t=442s

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Aardmania posted:

In case you were wondering about it, here is that ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSqeJSCSsw&t=442s

Hahaha oh my god, this is amazing (the ad and the fact that you were able to find it!).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

You know, I did consider the correct interpretation of this comic before asking but decided that couldn't be it because it wasn't a very funny or clever punchline. I expected more of this comic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2000 Spiderman

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

His Divine Shadow posted:

You know, I did consider the correct interpretation of this comic before asking but decided that couldn't be it because it wasn't a very funny or clever punchline. I expected more of this comic.

seems like tracksuit isn't funny these days even when it's fully translated, but when its only partially translated it's both unfunny and impenetrable

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I disagree on all points. I think Tracksuit is cool; keep posting.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Well, live and learn.

Mary Worth

Esma's plan to lock Katie in the bathroom and as a result steal Derek somehow continues.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

I am not so sure it makes sense for a super-extra-secret room within a secret sub-basement to have two entrances.

Apartment 3-G

OK this woman is high.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend Midsummer Day Dreams (click for huge)

And He Did. (August, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (November, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (September, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (August, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (August, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (January, 1941)

Archie (January, 1956, click for big)

Tweedy (April, 1956, click for big)

Feiffer (1973, click for big)

Andy Capp (October, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (November, 1971, click for big)

Dick Tracy (September, 2001, click for big)

LOL

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I REALLY hope that is how that story ends.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

OK, but only because I just realized translating the sound effects makes it look like an old thread meme.

Will post actual new comics shortly.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Okay, so, I have a mixed opinion on translated sound effects sometimes (and I realize it's extra work, and appreciate it), but I think it was kind of essential to part of the joke there - the kid shoots her metaphorically at the end, after they've been making finger guns the whole time.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

It looks like we're into repeat territory again.

Pibgorn

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SomeMathGuy posted:

Okay, so, I have a mixed opinion on translated sound effects sometimes (and I realize it's extra work, and appreciate it), but I think it was kind of essential to part of the joke there - the kid shoots her metaphorically at the end, after they've been making finger guns the whole time.

...Actually I made that part up to fit the meme. Originally he just says "hm".

Tracksuit

And I got rid of some specific language here because it was distracting.

Although really, with a punchline like that, does it matter?

Mother From Another Country

Ditto here. There's some hopelessly complicated stuff about how the Korean word for "American" and the Korean word for "beautiful person" mean the same thing that can't be explained naturally in English.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (July 25-26, 1930)

I had a visceral reaction of horror to this.

Luann

That's gross, Bernice.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Safety Dance posted:

I disagree on all points. I think Tracksuit is cool; keep posting.

I think it's usually funny, I meant to say I hold it to a higher bar than that particular comic achieved.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (February 25, 1952)

Nancy (April 13, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (December 11, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (January 9, 1924)

Lil' Abner (September 8, 1937)

Barney Google (January 10, 1923)

Alley Oop (April 11, 1934)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That's gross, Bernice.
We all know that good therapists are highly judgmental. Bernice is a perfect fit!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (February 20-26, 1956)

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This terrible dating arc in Intelligent Life is never going to end, is it? It's just going to be that woman swooning every time there's a lazy NOSTALGIC REFERENCE from here on out.

The Sunday colorist got it right coloring MJ's leggings showing that she's wearing an aerobics outfit, but I love how the weekday colorist just has her hanging around the house in a one piece swimsuit for no reason.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

This terrible dating arc in Intelligent Life is never going to end, is it? It's just going to be that woman swooning every time there's a lazy NOSTALGIC REFERENCE from here on out.

The Sunday colorist got it right coloring MJ's leggings showing that she's wearing an aerobics outfit, but I love how the weekday colorist just has her hanging around the house in a one piece swimsuit for no reason.

The only way Intelligent Life could be redeemed is if Barry is really the one sending her the messages. Barry, the Closet Geek.

I love Tracksuit and MFOC. Please post more!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set isn't moving upwards.

Working Daze is trying to make Rita not having a desk a Thing, I guess?

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix puts forward an interesting hypothesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Look at her tiny hand!

I don't know how to feel about this.

• Locked thread