Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

Ok, so now Boston has to be looking to move that pick, right?

There the school of thought that LeBron will dominate the East for the next 3-4 years and therefore you keep Fultz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

xbilkis posted:

2) Ainge convinces Magic that the Celtics are considering Ball at #1, gets the Lakers to give up assets to move up one pick

If Magic is actually dumb enough to not shrug, call Ainge's bluff and say they'll just draft Fultz instead he should resign immediately.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There the school of thought that LeBron will dominate the East for the next 3-4 years and therefore you keep Fultz.

Yeah I agree. Plus whomever they get next year. Plus they are cheap.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Plus do they really want to pay Thomas 180 million?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean lebron isn't slowing down. At all.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The East over the next few years is as favourable a situation as you possibly expect and if Fultz is good enough he should contribute pretty quickly.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The East over the next few years is as favourable a situation as you possibly expect and if Fultz is good enough he should contribute pretty quickly.

The bucks are gonna kick the Celtics rear end

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

The D'Angelo trade rumors already out in force.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Metapod posted:

The bucks are gonna kick the Celtics rear end
I hope so!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You know what makes me feel better about moving down from #3 to #5? Never having to convey that first round pick to Chicago. Suck it suckers

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The D'Angelo trade rumors already out in force.

Have they ever not been?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I haven't been able to look into NBA Draft prospects, but who would be the best fits for the Timberwolves? I would assume Lauri Markkanen or Isaac Smith based off of position, since their depth at the 4 isn't great, otherwise a shooter would be good. Also, are there any Kris Dunn type grenades to watch out for? He could still mature into a good player, but Thibodeaux seems to like ultra athletic and long-limbed players who can't shoot and I'm hoping we'll get a pick who can actually contribute this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kris Dunn is already mature.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aniki posted:

I haven't been able to look into NBA Draft prospects, but who would be the best fits for the Timberwolves? I would assume Lauri Markkanen or Isaac Smith based off of position, since their depth at the 4 isn't great, otherwise a shooter would be good. Also, are there any Kris Dunn type grenades to watch out for? He could still mature into a good player, but Thibodeaux seems to like ultra athletic and long-limbed players who can't shoot and I'm hoping we'll get a pick who can actually contribute this year.

Jonathan Issac

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lockback posted:

Ok, so now Boston has to be looking to move that pick, right?

No way.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The top ten picks I'm putting my stamp on are ball Jackson and Dennis Smith stay tune for my lotto ticket

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Aniki posted:

Contribute positively? Because that is done only very rarely by a rookie. Like, maybe one rookie per draft. Who usually becomes an All-Star relatively quickly.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It also means taking the ball out of ITs hands, or benching Avery Bradley (who becomes a lot less useful against other bench units). I think Boston has a lot more chance if they move this pick for someone like Butler or something and putting together a 3 year run than try to bring Fultz along, likely lose IT, and probably waste Horford.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Unless they come out of the East and put up a surprisingly competitive fight against the Warriors, I don't see the incentive to try to win now for Boston. See if Fultz can come in and contribute right away, use other assets if win-now pieces are available. Worst case scenario, you're still a pseudo-contender with a really bright future

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Would Donovan Mitchell be too much of a reach at 11? Size isn't great but the 6'10" wingspan makes up for that a it

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Lockback posted:

It also means taking the ball out of ITs hands, or benching Avery Bradley (who becomes a lot less useful against other bench units). I think Boston has a lot more chance if they move this pick for someone like Butler or something and putting together a 3 year run than try to bring Fultz along, likely lose IT, and probably waste Horford.

The time to trade for the pick for Butler was before the deadline and the ping pong balls. There's no way they do it now. The best thing they can do is sign Hayward and bring over Zizic and see what that group can do. That and they've got a good shot at winning the lottery again next year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gently caress to celtics

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone sell me on Tatum since now I'm worried Fox might be off the board because Phoenix or Philly will be big dummy heads

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Fultz would play more off the ball with IT as opposed to being the primary and the issue could be mitigated by playing Fultz as a super 6th man.

Even if they manage to make it through the LeBron buzzsaw they'll still be facing the Warriors in the Finals for the foreseeable future and I'm not sure even Butler puts them over the top of those two teams.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Who gets MPJr next year?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Someone sell me on Tatum since now I'm worried Fox might be off the board because Phoenix or Philly will be big dummy heads
Tatum fits a need and is a great offensive player who would pair well with Hield and Labisierre. He's got perfect size for a 3 who can play 4 on a small ball lineup. He's not an incredible defender, but he's decent with a chance to be good eventually.

The one reason not to take him would be if they liked Anunoby and believed he would still be there at #10. In that case taking a PG like Smith at #5 might be a better idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Tatum has a really nice all around game, he's a very skillful dude who does a lot of things well, either facing up or with his bask to the basket, and plays two-man basketball pretty well, and is a good finisher around the basket with a decent toolset of shots. He shows defensive potential. Concerns are athleticism which might keep him from playing SF like some teams want (although I'm sure if Orlando has the chance they'll draft him and try to play him there anyway), isn't really ready to be an outside shooter (although there's some hope he gets there, tunnel vision and there just isn't a whole lot of flash to his game which is something that tends to get held against players, fair or not.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Khagan posted:

Who gets MPJr next year?

This is the other reason why they shouldn't trade Fultz. Having a young core of Fultz, Smart, Brown, MPJr is just too enticing IMHO.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/biggyaaron/status/864646447181873153

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Wait, the cavs didn't get the first pick? is that legal?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
man gently caress this why does the nba hate my city

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Proposal to rename the NBA Draft Lottery the Billy King Memorial Hootenanny

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If the Mavs had lost one more game, they could have been in the Kings' 3rd pick spot (that got swapped to the Sixers). The 2016-17 Mavs :negative: had one last funny moment if you think about it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

IcePhoenix posted:

Jonathan Issac

That's good to know. The Dunn pick was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. At least Isaac is only 19, so he still has time to develop and improve, but I'll need to look into him and see if he scares me as much as Dunn did. It would be nice to see them rebound this year and add a nice player to compliment their core.

Kibner posted:

Contribute positively? Because that is done only very rarely by a rookie. Like, maybe one rookie per draft. Who usually becomes an All-Star relatively quickly.

By contribute I don't mean be an instant star like Towns, but can eventually provide some decent minutes off the bench as a rookie and show flashes of being a quality player.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ironically Markkanen is the exact player Timberwolves fans were clamoring for last year before the order was drawn and they thought they could get Ingram and turn him into an instant stretch 4. Now your instant stretch 4 is here and you don't want him!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

LaVar Ball weaseling his way into a front office position with the Lakers is going to be LOL

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

Ironically Markkanen is the exact player Timberwolves fans were clamoring for last year before the order was drawn and they thought they could get Ingram and turn him into an instant stretch 4. Now your instant stretch 4 is here and you don't want him!

Which is especially sad because he'd also let them lock down that lucrative Finnish American market demographic in the upper MidWest.

:cheeky:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

aBagorn posted:

Yeah the Sixers are going to be fun as hell to watch this year if they get Jackson.

Both Jackson AND Covington can float 2-4 defensively so I'm thinking you can put them both on the floor at the same time. Sign a short term solution in the backcourt like a Dion Waiters and roll out

Simmons - Waiters - Covington - Jackson - Embiid

I literally bought season tickets 4 days ago so that would definitely be worth my investment

I had a dream last night about how dominating a defense with Embiid/RoCo/Jackson would be. I woke up so excited

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Which is especially sad because he'd also let them lock down that lucrative Finnish American market demographic in the upper MidWest.

:cheeky:

Wrong Nordic country, it's all Swedish and Norwegian up here :black101:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

I think we need a defensive SF who can shoot the 3, push LaVine as a 30+-minutes off the bench guy, and let Wiggins play the 2 where he is a lot more dangerous. A stretch 4 is the 2nd biggest need, and Markkanen is a good fit, but I think a lot of people are nervous with him because of the bust factor there. Definitely a risk you take in the mid-late lottery though.

nooneofconsequence posted:

The time to trade for the pick for Butler was before the deadline and the ping pong balls. There's no way they do it now. The best thing they can do is sign Hayward and bring over Zizic and see what that group can do. That and they've got a good shot at winning the lottery again next year.

The Cavaliers literally got an all-star with their #1 pick a few years ago and got to the Finals 2(3) times in a row and winning a chip. You absolutely can do that with this pick and there is actually a pretty nice blueprint.

And I thought it was known the Celtics cap space will go to a Kelly Olynyk max contract.

• Locked thread