Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I mean the only good thing with Trump is that he is making everyone politically active. If you get rid of him everything goes back to "normal" and the rapid grassroot movement will crumble away.

Also, yea, don't pretend he is different then the rest of the sexist, racist, xenophobic GOP.

Curious to see if he will still go on this trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

K. Waste posted:

edit: why the gently caress are we talking about bob dylan in horror thread i'm losing my mind

bob dylan is scary, esp when he abruptly switches to electronic music

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I need a good cry. Gimme a tearjerker recommendation.

Never Let Me Go.
That episode of All in The Family when Edith dies.

DC Murderverse posted:

after what seems like a loving eternity, they're actually going to film one of my favorite unproduced scripts, Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile, and we're getting Ted Bundy portrayed by Zac Efron. This casting really solidifies that they're gonna do this movie up right, since the "joke" of the script is that it basically doesn't reveal who the main character is until he actually ends up in jail (before then he's just an attractive law student working at a suicide hotline and for political campaigns, who is dating a woman with a kid) by looking at Bundy through the eyes of the woman he's dating on and off. You could cast someone really obviously serial killer-y to play Bundy and just make it your typical true crime serial killer movie, but that's way less interesting.

A big reason why Ted Bundy was good at killing people was because women thought he was charming and very attractive, so that's good casting.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CPL593H posted:

Never Let Me Go.
That episode of All in The Family when Edith dies.

A big reason why Ted Bundy was good at killing people was because women thought he was charming and very attractive, so that's good casting.

That was Archie Bunker's Place you filthy casual

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That was Archie Bunker's Place you filthy casual

I thought it became Archie Bunker's Place after Jean Stapleton left.

edit: All in the Family has a ton of incredibly sad episodes anyway. Like that one where Edith decides that she doesn't believe in God anymore because her gay friend gets killed in a hate crime.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 17, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

Never Let Me Go.

Oh my god this movie destroyed me on like, a subnuclear level

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh my god this movie destroyed me on like, a subnuclear level

Yeah, I felt like poo poo for days after I saw that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, I felt like poo poo for days after I saw that.

It's pretty incredible. I've never felt so like, molecularly sad. It's like the actual physical parts of my body were depressed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CPL593H posted:

edit: All in the Family has a ton of incredibly sad episodes anyway. Like that one where Edith decides that she doesn't believe in God anymore because her gay friend gets killed in a hate crime.

gently caress, I wish All in the Family was streaming somewhere. I was surprised at some of the progressive poo poo (for the time) in early Cheers when I started watching that.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Opinion: Spring Breakers is like a moving renaissance painting

Everybody pair movies with paintings.

I recently watched The Devils and it was like a live action Hieronymus Bosch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
interiors -> rothko chapel
cries and whispers - > any other rothko

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I just saw Crocodile Fury and there is much I need to learn about the Indonesian giant crocodile genre.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
also for weepychat, when I was 14 I bawled hysterically during Paul Haggis's Crash, and then my future self came into the theater and dumped my soda into my lap

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I could kill two movies, one would be AvP-R, the other would be that crash.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Anyone who compares Obama to Trump and acts like it's some sort of incremental change and 'the only difference is visibility' sounds like an idiot to me but whatever.

Loving all the sad flick rec's btw.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Watch Vive L'amour.

Ends with like a 5 minute single static shot of a woman crying.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Death By The Blues posted:

Watch Vive L'amour.

Ends with like a 5 minute single static shot of a woman crying.

Ehm, spoilers??

CelticPredator posted:

If I could kill two movies, one would be AvP-R, the other would be that crash.

I'd kill Blindness so hard.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Psycho 2's Perkins monologue about how psychiatrists took all the good parts of his mother away from him makes me sad. So does the part in 4 where he talks about remembering her as a child.

So yeah, Norman Bates pathos works on me, it seems

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ehm, spoilers??

Oh poo poo, is that the one with Julianne Moore? That movie looked horribly pretentious.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Get at me when you've seen the episode where Edith almost gets raped on her birthday.

Directors and painters pair better

Argento / Caravaggio
Cronenberg / Magritte
Lynch / Basquiat
Carpenter / Rockwell

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
john waters / x-rated black velvet clown paintings

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ehm, spoilers??

I liked the book, what's wrong with the movie?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

ruddiger posted:

Get at me when you've seen the episode where Edith almost gets raped on her birthday.

Directors and painters pair better

Argento / Caravaggio
Cronenberg / Magritte
Lynch / Basquiat
Carpenter / Rockwell

Not Cronenberg / Bacon?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Blindness was such an ugly looking film. What an awful palette.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Ed Wood/kids macaroni painting, it's bad but they loving cared about it

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Anyone who compares Obama to Trump and acts like it's some sort of incremental change and 'the only difference is visibility' sounds like an idiot to me but whatever.

That "both sides are the same" meme needs to be burnt to the ground and the earth it grew on salted.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

married but discreet posted:

I liked the book, what's wrong with the movie?

I hated it. It felt extremely exploitative and not in a way I enjoy. Like I was looking at the screenwriter just inching towards his masturbation fantasy, cringy step-by-hamfisted-step, awkwardly twisting the situation to make it happen, until he gets what he wanted and there ya go. It's on the screen. gently caress you.

I felt very similar to Roger Ebert's opinion on the film.

Lord Krangdar posted:

That "both sides are the same" meme needs to be burnt to the ground and the earth it grew on salted.

Agreed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah this thread has some really retarded hot takes.

Oh you think the collapse of accountability, constitutional law, the free press and complete lack of acknowledging reality by this monstrous president who's undoing every protection minorities and poor people have is bad? HEH, don't you know all politicians are bad????

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

What's that? We're looking at films matched with paintings? Well boy howdy I've got just the one:

God bless Zack Snyder and his art school education

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kevin Smith is a less successful version of Thomas Kinkade, who in turn is a less successful version of Jim Davis.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh, Thomas Kinkade unlocked a prestige title, which neither of the other two seem to have.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Power of Pecota posted:

Kevin Smith is a less successful version of Thomas Kinkade, who in turn is a less successful version of Jim Davis.

This is a very terrible analogy

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love the idea that Thomas Kinkade is more successful than Kevin Smith, and he almost certainly is.

My mom owns like 50 Thoman Kinkade jigsaw puzzles.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Krangdar posted:

Nobody is saying Obama and Trump are the same or whatever. It's the simple fact that two Presidencies of consolidating executive power with a rapid expansion of national surveillance and a string of idiotic military actions from illegal war to illegal drone strikes to giving al-Qaeda and Saudi Arabia boatloads of arms created a turnkey tyranny which Obama insisted must be handed over to an irrational fascist in a "peaceful transition of power."

Liberalism is not the same as the nightmare the Right has become. It simply exists in a perpetual state of compromise to appear rational and cultivate "political capital" against an entity dragging the political spectrum more and more to the right with no respect or interest in political capital. It doesn't stand for anything much less have a backbone because it exists in this perpetual state of compromise.

The Democrats need to actually stand for something, some ideal, that they can turn to the people and say if you support us we'll do this this and this for you. Instead it's tax credits and means tested claptrap that creates further divides as to not upset the capital holders who loom over American society.

Obama was a bad President who didn't punish the financial criminals that bankrupted our economy, signed off on illegal drone assassinations with a 90% failure rate, and his economic "recovery" did little but create jobs in retail and service industries that provide no career, stability, or even a wage to live on. Instead, we're subsidizing the profits of the wealthy via welfare programs like food stamps so these "job creators" don't have to pay a living wage.

It was an inevitability, even if Hillary was elected, that a horrendous monster like Trump, except now more competent and charismatic would be elected. Liberalism does not see the fundamental rot that has infested our economy. They don't believe in the legitimacy of wielding public power to serve the nation's interests - whatever happens, it's just that pesky market and their invisible hand at work, it would be unAmerican to try and do anything about that.

The only "sides" in America are those who have capital and those who don't. And the latter doesn't get a political party to look out for them, don't get pundits to speak up for them on the news, don't get policy platforms targeted to smooth out this jagged rift of inequality. So with no answers and no leaders, it creates a cesspool for fascism to grow, for hucksters like Trump and Spencer and Jones to capitalize upon.

The Democrats cultivated that environment, and are far more comfortable chasing after their fantasy of the "reasonable conservative" than actual poor people who need help. That's not the same as Trump. But it sure helps him out more than any "BernieBro" ever did.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mecha Gojira posted:

I cry during films so often, I couldn't tell you which ones DIDN'T elicit mild eye-watering.

But I blame my allergies because I'm a big man.

https://youtu.be/fqbGiwi1rNI

Oh, Never Let Me Go made me weep too. Good call.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Recently, Arrival made me bawl like an infant. AI is one of the few movies endings I know will make me sob without fail.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted:

If any1 is a psycho like me & really liked the original xbox game Phantom Dust the remaster is free on Windows 10 & Xbox now (and forever)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/phantom-dust/9pcdnbhr11mr?rtc=1
Its a cool time where if you have a rudimentary understanding of how to play the game you will win 95% of your matches & enter the top 10 global leaderboard

Totally bizarre. I remember playing this way, way back when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Death By The Blues posted:

I mean the only good thing with Trump is that he is making everyone politically active. If you get rid of him everything goes back to "normal" and the rapid grassroot movement will crumble away.

Also, yea, don't pretend he is different then the rest of the sexist, racist, xenophobic GOP.

Curious to see if he will still go on this trip.

I honestly think Trump is exactly what's needed in this country to wake up people. In 15 years, I've gone from conservative to libertarian to liberal because of how blatantly evil the Republicans have become. Maybe it's because I've matured politically, but it's not even hyperbole how they're trying to set the country back by 100 years.

The scary thing is that his administration has done a perfect job of lining up the succession just as insane and/or corrupt as he is, that an impeachment is only a partial victory until the Democrats can knock down the Republican majority.

By the way, everyone needs to see The Best Man and Advise & Consent. Just watched those yesterday - it's not surprising how little has changed in 50 years.

(Also saw Blood and Black Lace - Mario Bava films the most beautiful murders)

• Locked thread