Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife has been talking and researching these a lot lately, consensus seems to be just plant it out and let it stabilise. Slow work though, might be a couple of years before you get more than a couple of leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

learnincurve posted:

Anyone know anything about magnolia?

I have an established magnolia cutting in a 9cm pot and I'm not sure when to plant it out, now or pot it on?

I also have a few seeds but from reading they look a bitch to get started, anyone had success?

No help here but I'm kicking myself for not buying a gorgeous 4 foot tall magnolia for $15 instead of $40 at the end of a farmers market the other day. He didn't want to drive it back home but I have no where to put it :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Out in the garden it is then.

Tomorrow the first batch of border plants I grew go in the ground. :dance:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It would be better to plant them in the autumn, but not when you already have it so would be nursing it in a pot all summer. Make sure to look after it during warm dry spells or the unexpected cold night. Don't be alarmed if it takes a couple years to really get established.

You should definitely give the seeds a go! You should be able to get one at least

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I know it's still young, but based on these leaves can anyone help me identify this baby tree?

I have at least four of growing in pots on my balcony. I had no idea what the first few were, so I dug them up and found they were saplings growing out of acorns. I guess some bird (??) must have flown them up to my balcony and buried them as I'm way too high up for squirrels and I didn't change soil in two of the pots they're growing in, so they didn't sneak in in a bag of potting soil or something. I think they probably came from the trees below my balcony, but I don't have a picture of those on hand. They have the same sort of leaves, just bigger.

The acorns themselves were quite small, maybe just a little bigger than my thumbnail, and were a dark chocolate in color.

e: They look almost like willow leaves to me, but I'm unaware of any variety of willow that isn't also weeping?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Acorns are exclusive to oaks. It's hard to identify oaks as young as that one because their leaf morphology can change a god bit as they grow. It may be a willow oak (not actually a type of willow. named for the resemblance to one).

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
That's a willow oak (Quercus phellos). It's an oak tree, but the leaves resemble willows and it makes super-tiny acorns. It's a really popular landscaping tree in parking lots here because the leaves tend to be small enough they just blow away instead of needing to be swept up.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Acorns are exclusive to oaks.

I did not know that! I guess I simply assumed other species might have similar seeds.

Thanks to both of you, I think you're right. The more I read about them the more they seem like the optimal tree for growing along a street in an urban environment.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently they can grow larger and faster than expected and wind up cracking sidewalks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:(

It hurts my tree loving soul, it's not that they grow wider than expected :( growing wide is exactly what you would expect when you plant an oak tree on top of poo poo soil in a small square in the pavement.

On a entirely related note 90% the roots from my neighbours loving enormous and completely unmaintained conifers are running about an inch under my lawn. I've pruned the branches back two chuffing meters to the fence and they are about 3m wide the other side. I can't murder them by trench warfare because that would be destruction of property, very quickly followed by criminal damage as the roots are essentially guy ropes at this point and those fuckers are going sideways through their conservatory when they go.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cheston posted:

From you, actually! I'm putting a little terrarium together this week for some of the smaller / more humidity-sensitive sundews and nepenthes.

Oh hey great! It's so exciting to see a plant we've sold live and thrive, since I generally assume a 90% mortality rate over the course of 6 months. People just love to kill plants.

It might be good to support your flower stalk with a stake of some kind, since they get really absurdly long. It should yield a bit of seed, so make sure to sow it! Drosera madagascariensis is still only barely available in cultivation, and it's good when someone gets seed going. I'm waiting on a couple flower stalks this season myself, since I need to re-up our populations in the greenhouse.

In non-carnivorous news, I went to the UC Botanical Garden last weekend to see some blooming Puya. They were rad as hell. This first one had incredible teal flowers.

Besides the waxy teal petals, the neon orange of the anthers and neon yellow-green of the stigma was totally awesome. Such a rad plant. Glad it's not in my yard though (it was very sharp and almost tore my sweater as I walked past).

This is a different Puya, but I got a couple pictures of a bee :3:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those are incredible.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Wow, they're stunning.

Bee :3:

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Thought I'd share my houseplants. I'm pretty new to this hobby, but this is what I have so far. I've had a number of them since november, so I know they can survive Seattle's gloomy winters. One thing I'm not too sure of is when I'm supposed to move them into larger pots.

Living room window, that parlor palm has never done well no matter where I put it. It looks like it's in a large planter, but it's actually inside a smaller one that's just nestled in there.

Kitchen window with my first two attempts at kokedama, that parlor palm seems to be doing fine.

Got this pothos a few months ago, it was just one large vine so I recently some cuttings and planted them after keeping them in water. It's hard to see them in the photo. Hopefully they take.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

That is an awesome set up.

One way to tell if something needs repotting is to gently lift the plant by the base a small amount. Does the entire container of dirt start to lift up? That's a pretty good sign that the roots are spread into every available area and could do with more space (and if you can see the roots, it may be pot bound).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what are some good plants/flowers to grow in smaller containers? I got a set of 20 4 inch and 20 6 inch containers from Amazon cause I wanted a couple for cacti/succulents, but it was cheaper to buy 40 pots than to buy a couple singles. so now I have all these pots left over and wanna know if there's anything fragrant or pretty I could grow in them

e: also, while I still have your attention, what are some good online resources for seeds/cuttings? I usually do all my shopping on Amazon but their selection is kinda garbaggio

indigi fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 15, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
YES a use for the incredibly detailed reference books I just bought.

For those pot sizes: Saintpaulia Colorado (other African violets are available) and Episcia cupreata (flame violet). It's a cacti but Rebutia carnival has very very pretty flowers.

E: eBay is my source for seeds and cuttings. Lots of lovely people out there are putting seeds and cuttings they have collected from their garden on eBay for cost, which in the case of seeds is pennies.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 15, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thanks for the answers. doesn't ebay get expensive with shipping and all, or do they just toss the seeds in a standard letter envelope

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I went for a walk in the woods the other day and stumbled across this fallen (but still living) tree. I've seen these blossoms on the ground before, but since they tend to grow waaaaaay up in the canopy I've never seen a still-living one up close.

Anyone know what kind of tree is this?

Bonus forest friend photo:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like a tulip tree. Beautiful!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

indigi posted:

thanks for the answers. doesn't ebay get expensive with shipping and all, or do they just toss the seeds in a standard letter envelope

Small envelope usually. May not be what you want but This lady has been my favourite seller so far. She refunded me on the postage when I ordered two and send out a a4 printed how to germinate for each one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mariesnowgoose/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Hi plant thread.

So I've been trying to get more house plants in my life. Right now I've got about eight that are living. I've probably purchased 20 in total and have managed to kill most of them.
I'm REALLY bad at keeping succulents and ferns alive, they always get root rot/wilt up (respectively) and die. It sucks because they're both my favorite.

I accidentally killed one of my favorite plants by poisoning it with too much fertilizer.

I do not have what you'd call "a green thumb".

I want to get some more plants but I don't want pick them up until I figure out how to keep them alive and potentially get them to grow. Any suggestions/tips?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Stop watering them so often/giving them so much fertilizer, keep them outside if they need to be instead of forcing them inside

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Hello! learnincurve invited me here to this thread! I love to grow things and am planning on doing a master gardeners course next year. I'm going to read back and see about you and all of your plants, nice to meet all of you!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you are reading back my newly landscaped garden now has some plants in it so it looks way less odd and the stakes for my orchard have been cut down to the correct size :) I'd take a picture but it's a bit night time.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Looks like a tulip tree. Beautiful!

That looks right, thanks much!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Overwatering is probably the #1 mistake people make with houseplants. Fertilizer isn't even something you should be worrying about until you're consistently not killing things.

You didn't mention light. A lot of people also under/overestimate how much light different plants need.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Overwatering is probably the #1 mistake people make with houseplants. Fertilizer isn't even something you should be worrying about until you're consistently not killing things.

You didn't mention light. A lot of people also under/overestimate how much light different plants need.

I've got all my plants next to a North/East window (there are no other window directions) that gets a lot of light throughout the day.

I did notice one of my favorite plants started to droop and water didn't fix it, so I moved it away from the window and now it's doing great.

I would like to figure out what the best environment in my apartment for succulents but I feel like I've gotta go through a few more before I narrow it down.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

RobotDogPolice posted:

Thought I'd share my houseplants. I'm pretty new to this hobby, but this is what I have so far. I've had a number of them since november, so I know they can survive Seattle's gloomy winters. One thing I'm not too sure of is when I'm supposed to move them into larger pots.

Living room window, that parlor palm has never done well no matter where I put it. It looks like it's in a large planter, but it's actually inside a smaller one that's just nestled in there.

Kitchen window with my first two attempts at kokedama, that parlor palm seems to be doing fine.

Got this pothos a few months ago, it was just one large vine so I recently some cuttings and planted them after keeping them in water. It's hard to see them in the photo. Hopefully they take.

ohhh my goodness :kimchi: I love all of this

my basil is wilty as hell and turned white/really light green on a lot of the leaves. it was really windy for the past week or so, and we had a bit of a cold snap during a few nights. it survived being wilty about a month ago (I think it was overwatered) but it looks even sadder now.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DevCore posted:

I've got all my plants next to a North/East window (there are no other window directions) that gets a lot of light throughout the day.

I did notice one of my favorite plants started to droop and water didn't fix it, so I moved it away from the window and now it's doing great.

I would like to figure out what the best environment in my apartment for succulents but I feel like I've gotta go through a few more before I narrow it down.

Ah, the challenge of apartment lighting. I have one window that faces north, and two eastern-facing windows, but those two are completely obscured by a wall less than five feet away.. :cripes:

So far, I've found that orchids and lucky bamboo (dracaena) do well for me. Surprisingly the tiny cactus my husband bought at a hardware store is doing fine too, and it's just sitting on a shelf where the most attention it gets is being moved once in a while so I can get to the things behind it. Right now I'm experimenting with potted herbs (mint, thyme, marjoram, I think..) and mini roses because they all looked so pretty at the grocery store and I couldn't resist. Right now my biggest issue with the herbs is they seem to want a ton of water, and I'm used to watering things maybe once a week, if I remember.. :shobon:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DevCore posted:

Honest to god, and not just because I'm a carnivorous plant vendor, you should try some carnivorous plants. A northeast window is really good for Nepenthes and Pinguicula, and could even be bright enough for Drosera. The pings and sundews just sit in water, so you don't have to guess about that, and it's very difficult to over-water Nepenthes.

What part of the country are you in?

edit: I made a post on my blog recently about the carnivorous plants I grow in my windowsill.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Behold the food of the gods, Theobroma cacao.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 16, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've a little succulent on my desk at work, recently they moved us all now I've little to no natural light and it started to grow really tall with pale green much smaller leaves, I surmise it's seeking better light, would one of these led grow lights make it happier or are they junk?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XDBJ4H2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WGSgzbPNACCPJ

I was going to put it on a timer so it's on at night, I can't imagine it'd be nice to work with that purple light in my eyeline all day.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I have an LED grow light and it seems to be doing something. I planted a little jacarinda to hopefully turn into a bonsai tree and after 3 months in a 4 inch pot it was as big as some 6-month old examples I saw in youtube videos I looked at. I bought a more powerful one to put over my mini greenhouse and all the sprouts start leaning over toward where the light is. so I have to assume they have some effect, I'm just not sure how much.

I do know that some get waaay better reviews than others, but I dunno if it's just down to sample size or whether some use cheaper/bullshit LEDs that don't emulate enough of the spectrum (or whatever)

indigi fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 16, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Blog post: I got my last pay cheque from my old job so I went shopping, and there was 20% of everything + an extra 10% off seeds and plants for dobbies members :D

More roses, more hebe for the hebe gods, herbs, assorted seeds, bulb planter, tiny little spade set for seed trays, new gloves, really nice swanky sheers with wooden handles, anvil secateurs, enormous garden tray, heated propigator Imagine the taxi driver's suprise.

Also bought a mulberry bush, a crab apple tree and a orchard seed set from eBay and an outside dining set from Argos.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Bees on Wheat posted:

So far, I've found that orchids and lucky bamboo (dracaena) do well for me. Surprisingly the tiny cactus my husband bought at a hardware store is doing fine too, and it's just sitting on a shelf where the most attention it gets is being moved once in a while so I can get to the things behind it.
I've got a dracaena in a corner that seems to be doing ok. The problem right now is that I didn't pot it very well so it's constantly tipping over. Hence being shoved in a corner to give it support. I was using those auto-watering globes but that seemed to make the soil a little swampy. So I went back to the "let it dry out, then water it method"
I might pick up some cacti the next time I'm at a nursery, they look great, but I'm also worried about the over-attention I'll probably give it.

Kenning posted:

What part of the country are you in?

Austin, TX. So lots and lots of sun.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Beth Chatto posted:

Right plant, Right place.

Think of a pot as a patch of earth. :) Look up the information for every single plant you plan to buy. As an example If it says "tender, shade, loamy soil, acidic, drought tolerant" then it will grow happily indoors if you get the correct potting material, place it away from the window and water it only when it gets dry. Find out exactly what feed it needs and then feed it every six months as that's how long the neutrients last. Also look up how big the plant will get, if it says 3m then that's a no. You should be able to tip the plant over and pull it out of the pot, do this occasionally to make sure the plant isn't pot bound.

A plant may be glorious, wonderful, and fabulous but if it's from the mountains of Austria than Texas is just going to flat out murder it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well I found a couple seed stores online that offered like $1.50 seeds with free shipping, so I ordered African Violets, Lobelia, a couple types of geraniums, moss roses, and cacti seeds. came out to about $13 all day. guess the next step is to figure out which ones need the most light and find places for them or get a couple more grow lamps

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Think of a pot as a patch of earth. :) Look up the information for every single plant you plan to buy. As an example If it says "tender, shade, loamy soil, acidic, drought tolerant" then it will grow happily indoors if you get the correct potting material, place it away from the window and water it only when it gets dry. Find out exactly what feed it needs and then feed it every six months as that's how long the neutrients last. Also look up how big the plant will get, if it says 3m then that's a no. You should be able to tip the plant over and pull it out of the pot, do this occasionally to make sure the plant isn't pot bound.

A plant may be glorious, wonderful, and fabulous but if it's from the mountains of Austria than Texas is just going to flat out murder it.

I have a pretty large jade I've been putting off repotting. It's so big and delicate :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Put it's pot in a larger pot and pack your new potting material round it, when you take the pot out again you will have a nice hole you can quickly transfer your plant into :)