Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Windows shouldn't be hanging up trying to enumerate a device that isn't there - I'm more inclined to think something maybe is up with the new drive. Is the new hard drive known to be good, have you attached it to any other machines?

it's got to be something wrong with the controller because i used that drive to replace the old one and it works--as well as the previous one, in that windows can end up going into repair mode and looping, unable to boot until ~something~ and then it does

did a fresh install of win10 on it and it still does this thing where it hangs explorer sometimes if i click 'this pc'

putting the old working drive into the caddy and the optical bay had the same result, no boot, can't even get to bios but if i hit f2 it might freeze on the verbose boot details and show both disks but just hang forever after "mouse installed..."

i'm getting an external case for the old hdd but unless i can figure out what's wrong won't be able to have ssd + hdd on this machine so that sucks

additionally (and this is mentioned in a review on amazon) there is an unlabeled switch with three positions in the caddy that some guy claimed helped him but doesn't seem to do anything for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes (maybe once every couple of weeks) this PC I am on totally freezes. need to hold down power button to turn off. its never happened while Im on it, just when I go to use it I notice its hosed

I have no idea how I would even begin to investigate what is causing it

windows 10

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Memtest

96 hours

no trial

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Memtest

96 hours

no trial

the very pc i'm posting from (i bought the good memory, a new hard drive or two for it, whatever it has an i5 that should be enough) fails memtest

it passes run one

run two, it will wait until 97% or so and then just say aahahahaha you loving idiot your cheaptop is garbage and will always be garbage

well, the stupid piece of junk still works, sometimes

who is the the most wrong here, a piece of plastic that frustrates me or me?

crap

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
e: this has been going on since the previous decade and as an old computer toucher it'll keep going on until one of us dies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Memtest

96 hours

no trial
mate good idea. ill run it overnight at least and see how it fares

i left cputemp on and it doesnt overheat (because once the heat sink fell off when my wife dropped the case so i wasnt sure) and windows admin logs show NOTHING

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

i left cputemp on and it doesnt overheat (because once the heat sink fell off when my wife dropped the case so i wasnt sure) and windows admin logs show NOTHING

if you really have a problem crystaldiskinfo is helpful

it'll say your hdd is good or maybe it's tired and bad

just to try to get ahead of a point of failure* i mean

*my posts

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

echinopsis posted:

this happened to mine once and it turned out it was hibernating or sleeping itself after a time and some dumb thing was preventing it from waking back up so it was just stuck in a nonsense not-on not-off state

burning swine
May 26, 2004

syscall girl posted:

the very pc i'm posting from (i bought the good memory, a new hard drive or two for it, whatever it has an i5 that should be enough) fails memtest

it passes run one

run two, it will wait until 97% or so and then just say aahahahaha you loving idiot your cheaptop is garbage and will always be garbage

well, the stupid piece of junk still works, sometimes

who is the the most wrong here, a piece of plastic that frustrates me or me?

crap

i'd replace dat ram, but you do you friend

I let my ~2012 XPS15 fill up with dust and bounce off of TJMAX for like, 6 months. I finally blew it out but now the nvidia gpu is barfing random bitflips out of the frame buffer. Cool little speckles dancing across my screen, keeping me company. Owns bones.

(I already ordered a new laptop)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

i'd replace dat ram, but you do you friend

I let my ~2012 XPS15 fill up with dust and bounce off of TJMAX for like, 6 months. I finally blew it out but now the nvidia gpu is barfing random bitflips out of the frame buffer. Cool little speckles dancing across my screen, keeping me company. Owns bones.

(I already ordered a new laptop)

no i mean i got new better ram from a good manufacturer and it failed samely

the mobo and/or controller are hosed, everything i can swap out i have and it's just a pos

e: and i have another laptop right now that i've fixed up pretty well but i won't bother the thread with whatever problems i've found with it (it's that the dell motion sensor drivers don't work with win10 and the keyboard lights are now out)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if its pre-sandy-bridge the memory controller and sata controller are in the same place (the chipset) so unless you have a static discharge problem caused by dust, looks like youll have to replace it to exorcise those demons

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

if its pre-sandy-bridge the memory controller and sata controller are in the same place (the chipset) so unless you have a static discharge problem caused by dust, looks like youll have to replace it to exorcise those demons

haw haw

i think it's an i5 that pre-dates sandy-bridge

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Has anyone here successfully installed Win10 on a new XPS 15 (9560)?

Win 10 installer doesn't have drivers for the PCIE M.2 disk, so it bitches:

Dell support site offers nothing in the way of install-time drivers. I tracked down a reddit thread that provides an intel link to a driver. Loading that during install looks promising, but after attempting to install I get this:

I could probably install with everything in legacy mode, but thats kinda lovely

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Dell support site offers nothing in the way of install-time drivers. I tracked down a reddit thread that provides an intel link to a driver. Loading that during install looks promising, but after attempting to install I get this:

that's windows 7. why you trying to install windows 7

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

you might try one of the storage drivers on this page https://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-15-9560-laptop.html

and of course update the bios etc

burning swine
May 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

that's windows 7. why you trying to install windows 7

it's windows 10 you dild

the win10 installer still retains the faux-aero window decorations that have been around since vista

anthonypants posted:

you might try one of the storage drivers on this page https://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-15-9560-laptop.html

and of course update the bios etc

thx will try

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

yeah I have done this. you want the intel rst drivers which you can get from dell here. The EXE is a self extracting zip so extract it and then slap the appropriate driver for your windows version onto a usb and load them during the install like you were doing there. You could also add them to your windows installer image if ur gonna be doing a bunch of them.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

yeah I have done this. you want the intel rst drivers which you can get from dell here. The EXE is a self extracting zip so extract it and then slap the appropriate driver for your windows version onto a usb and load them during the install like you were doing there. You could also add them to your windows installer image if ur gonna be doing a bunch of them.

no dice, same error :smith:

maybe relevant: in order to even be able to boot from my SD card, I had to disable secure boot and turn on legacy boot roms. If i leave secure boot on / legacy roms off, I can't boot to install media

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Is there a recovery partition.I think Dell has recovery media on their site too

burning swine
May 26, 2004

wow what the christ

so, grasping at straws, I booted the stock win10 image and used an app to extract existing drivers

didn't find any RST stuff, but I just went down the list in the installer and threw everything it found at the installer

got through a bunch of useless stuff, then installed the realtek SD card reader, of all things (installing from said SD card slot)

that got me through the "you need a driver" block screen, got to the partition screen, but still no disks shown

from that screen I clicked "load driver" and pointed it at the RST driver shagger provided that had failed numerous times earlier

this time it worked, somehow :shepicide:

Guessing that at the stage of the installer where I was blocked, it was apparently hung up on the sd card reader, even though I had already successfully booted from that device

anyway, guess i'm good to go now, thanks yospos~

e: nevermind

:shepicide: :shepicide: :shepicide: :shepicide:

burning swine fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 17, 2017

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wonder if ur win 10 image is fubar or maybe doing it from an sd card doesn't work? I did the install from a usb stick and stuck the drivers into a random folder on the stick. you could have 2 sticks too I guess.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

some googling indicated that you can get around that particular error by ensuring that there aren't any SD cards in the slot, so I'm making a bootable usb now

will report

e: Booting from USB instead of SD and everything went smoothly, installing now.

wish I had known beforehand that installing from an SD card is apparently impossible. lesson learned, I guess

thanks again all for help

burning swine fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 17, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

it's windows 10 you dild

the win10 installer still retains the faux-aero window decorations that have been around since vista

thx will try

how doe you get aero from fresh win10

or an old one?

mine is all square corners and then i discovered a: windows saved all my nerdy desktop backgrounds to my live/outlook account and b: it will set windows color theme with a sampling of from those desktops which is aesththetits

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

some googling indicated that you can get around that particular error by ensuring that there aren't any SD cards in the slot, so I'm making a bootable usb now

will report

e: Booting from USB instead of SD and everything went smoothly, installing now.

wish I had known beforehand that installing from an SD card is apparently impossible. lesson learned, I guess

thanks again all for help
preferring sd cards over usb as a removable media platform is bizarre to me

syscall girl posted:

or an old one?

mine is all square corners and then i discovered a: windows saved all my nerdy desktop backgrounds to my live/outlook account and b: it will set windows color theme with a sampling of from those desktops which is aesththetits
it's winpe

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
installing from a usb 3 stick to a pci express is fast as gently caress

burning swine
May 26, 2004

syscall girl posted:

or an old one?

it's only "aero" in the installer, not in the actual OS
If you liked aero, tho, try: http://www.glass8.eu/

anthonypants posted:

preferring sd cards over usb as a removable media platform is bizarre to me

This started because I didn't have a usb drive handy (ordered one from newegg at same time as laptop, hasn't arrived yet), just an SD. after the driver errors, I went out to my car and borrowed the USB stick from my head unit that stores my music and nav maps - not my first choice but all I've got around. Finally i just formatted that one and installed from it. I honestly didn't figure there would be any effective difference

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

installing from a usb 3 stick to a pci express is fast as gently caress

yeah it was hella faster than the SD, even just to get into the installer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

dells have a nice sd card slot and you dont whack the usb drive with your leg or whatever. but yeah they dont really work right like mass storage on phones

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol why were you trying to install from an sd card? sd is terrible

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

dells have a nice sd card slot and you dont whack the usb drive with your leg or whatever. but yeah they dont really work right like mass storage on phones

the sd slot confuses me because i've used it once (literally once) but the way the blank fake card fits in is one way and the actual one slots in place with copper pins showing

and all of that is irrelevant to whether you have an sd card in the card card

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

lol why were you trying to install from an sd card? sd is terrible

yeah this

if you want to read about aynroid failure stay tuned to the phone threads for my hot take when my card goes tits up and takes the phone with it

my entire music colletion :ohdear:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i thought sd cards were effectiely usb internally but i guess not

sd cards are small and is a neat idea

i bought a real win10 install and it comes on a cool usb thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

having an sd card that is smaller than my pinky and holds 128gbs is wizardry

learning that a usb stick or an sd card has a processor that probably dunks on the pentium you had in high school with a whole operating system just to move your audioslave .aacs around is whoa

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

nah the SD interface is it's own thing and lemme tell you it fuckin blows rear end to implement!!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

in hgih school i had a q6600

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

nah the SD interface is it's own thing and lemme tell you it fuckin blows rear end to implement!!

lame

syscall girl posted:

having an sd card that is smaller than my pinky and holds 128gbs is wizardry

learning that a usb stick or an sd card has a processor that probably dunks on the pentium you had in high school with a whole operating system just to move your audioslave .aacs around is whoa
usb cards have a processor???????? ???

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

every random rear end thing has a cortex m0 lurking in it now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

every random rear end thing has a cortex m0 lurking in it now

"now" has been a long time

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Posted this in SHSC but since it's weird greybeard poo poo the pos is probably better. Trying to get my Apple IIGS connected to the internet via SLIP. I attached it to sl0 and set up a point-to-point route. My Linux is 192.168.1.221 and the Apple II is 192.168.1.222. The Linux is in a vmware VM with a virtual LAN so eth0's IP is 192.168.68.2. My regular-rear end LAN is 192.168.1.0.

Currently from the Apple II I can telnet to 192.168.1.221 (so I know the SLIP connection's working) but I can't reach any other networks so something's up with my routing. Here's my SLIP script:

pre:
slattach -p slip -s 57600 /dev/ttyS1 &
ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.221 pointtopoint 192.168.1.222 up
route add -host 192.168.1.222 dev sl0
arp -Ds 192.168.1.222 sl0
which gives me a routing table of

pre:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
default         192.168.68.2    0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 ens33
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 virbr0
192.168.1.222   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 sl0