Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CollegeCop posted:

That video is some Grade A theatrics.

I had to do this when I went through the academy, then again three years later when my agency finally authorized us to carry OC spray.

The idea behind getting sprayed as part of the training is that you are going to get blowback when you deploy. It is just going to happen. You have to be able to work through the effects and finish the interaction.

Our certification process went like this: Get sprayed, call on radio that spray was deployed and ask for backup. Run 50 feet to next station and perform baton strikes to dummy. Run 50 feet to next station and handcuff suspect. When that all was done, they had a hose you could use to rinse your eyes out.

It wasn't fun, but it did prove that OC spray is not debilitating, and you can fight through the pain.

Wow, you sound really cool and interesting. Were you a teen when you did thisÉ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you for shareing this info.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Police have killed a bunch of innocent bystanders (including infants) with flashbangs before, I'd love to the lawyer asking to demo it in the courtroom just to see the police guys try to squirm their way out of it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Improbable Lobster posted:

Wow, you sound really cool and interesting. Were you a teen when you did thisÉ

no he's a collegecop idiot

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

Police have killed a bunch of innocent bystanders (including infants) with flashbangs before, I'd love to the lawyer asking to demo it in the courtroom just to see the police guys try to squirm their way out of it.

Ah, the classic "toss the flashbang in the crib" breach

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Imagined posted:

They do the same thing in military basic training to emphasize how loving important it is to get your mask on.

The Gas House is no loving joke. Line up, take your mask off and recite your name, serial number and the Pledge of Allegiance while in an enclosed space full of CS. Not my favorite day of basic training.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CollegeCop posted:

I had to do this when I went through the academy, then again three years later when my agency finally authorized us to carry OC spray.

The idea behind getting sprayed as part of the training is that you are going to get blowback when you deploy. It is just going to happen. You have to be able to work through the effects and finish the interaction.

Our certification process went like this: Get sprayed, call on radio that spray was deployed and ask for backup. Run 50 feet to next station and perform baton strikes to dummy. Run 50 feet to next station and handcuff suspect. When that all was done, they had a hose you could use to rinse your eyes out.

It wasn't fun, but it did prove that OC spray is not debilitating, and you can fight through the pain.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Gas House is no loving joke. Line up, take your mask off and recite your name, serial number and the Pledge of Allegiance while in an enclosed space full of CS. Not my favorite day of basic training.

There was a dude I knew back from basic training who insisted that tear gas wouldn't effect him, then during the gas house he went from from :smuggo: to :barf: in a few minutes. It always cheers me up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Huh I guess I've been told a not-quite-accurate version all my life. He didn't shoot himself in court but it still did the job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_Vallandigham

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

CollegeCop posted:

lol shut up

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Don Gato posted:

There was a dude I knew back from basic training who insisted that tear gas wouldn't effect him, then during the gas house he went from from :smuggo: to :barf: in a few minutes. It always cheers me up.

always nice to see big wannabe badasses crying like babies with snot down to their knees

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Jerry Cotton posted:

Huh I guess I've been told a not-quite-accurate version all my life. He didn't shoot himself in court but it still did the job:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clement_Vallandigham

also this dude was anti-civil war which resulted in some hilarity when he went to visit a regiment from his state who proceeded to pelt him with rocks

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I wasn't in basic but I had a friend who was. After he returned I asked him about his experiences and the first thing he told me was about the gas room. That whole experience sounds soo miserable.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And even worse, it turns out somebody farted in there too.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

CS in the Gas House? Not tear gas?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ak Gara posted:

CS in the Gas House? Not tear gas?

CS is a type of tear gas. It's nowhere near as toxic as CN-DM.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

I want to say the manufacturer and department policy said they were fine to deploy in a bedroom size space, so the lawyer asked if he could set one off in the considerably larger courtroom. I never saw a transcript but I'll try to find it because I'm sure it's a great read.

I think it was last year an officer was pretty seriously injured when one went off in the trunk of his car while he was standing next to it. Not sure if it was a mistake or if he was loving around, but they're no joke even with less blast and no frag compared to the regular article. Even smoke and tear gas grenades can start fires, who would have guessed that grenades can be dangerous?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There's still a concussive effect to flashbang grenades, so I would assume exploding one in a bedroom would be fine if you don't mind permanently damaging someone that you want to STOP RESISTING!!! but maybe you don't want to murder.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's also the obvious risk of permanent hearing damage.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RyokoTK posted:

There's still a concussive effect to flashbang grenades, so I would assume exploding one in a bedroom would be fine if you don't mind permanently damaging someone that you want to STOP RESISTING!!! but maybe you don't want to murder.

The issue that occurs often enough is you get 10 keyed up cops for a no knock raid on someone, they flashbang the poor fucker while he's sleeping, then storm in and scream to get on the ground and stop resisting. So now you're suddenly woken up, concussed, can't see or hear, and your sense of balance is completely gone, and now have a bunch of strangers in your house screaming a bunch of poo poo at you at the top of their lungs. He staggers around drunkenly and lurches towards an officer, who then shoots him dead.

They later learn that they served the warrant to the wrong house. Police department determines there was no wrongdoing, case closed. Also, they shot his dog.

Demonstrating the effects of a flashbang in a courtroom is a stroke of genius if they were angling to get the cops to admit that is a massively disorienting effect and nobody can be reasonably expected to do anything except wallow in misery for a minute or so after it happens. Probably good enough to get the resisting arrest and assaulting an officer charges dropped.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Lucky there was a warning sign.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
"This is what happens when you let your uninsured buddy use your bucket truck"

https://imgur.com/gallery/Sr1Um

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Indeed

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
But is it a sandwich?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Humphreys posted:

I have a self imposed ban on trying to test anything 240VAC and higher. Everytime I gently caress up and trip a breaker AND/OR blow the poo poo out of my DMM probes. I'm sticking to DC low voltage (yes yes 240VAC is technically low but you know what I mean).

I need to test on a 500kVA transformer secondary at 600V. Arc flash level is very very high so I am going to be taking significant additional precautions.

Hottest test I ever witnessed was a phase rotation check on 14,000V gear.

EDIT: checked my math I think it's actually around 800kVA. 800 amps, 600 volts, root 3... I think the impedance is 6% and you use that to calculate the short circuit current...

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 17, 2017

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

`Nemesis posted:

IMMEDIATELY PEE IN HIS BUTT!!!!!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

`Nemesis posted:

Stay in the vehicle if contact is made with a line.

If the vehicle catches on fire, you need to jump away from the vehicle. Land with both feet and use the momentum to continue hopping away with both feet together or shuffle taking tiny steps. Do not walk until you are 30 feet from the vehicle.

If you touch the vehicle's frame with your feet on the ground you may be electrocuted.
If you fall on the ground you may be electrocuted from the voltage diffential.
If you take too long of a step you may be electrocuted from the voltage differential.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

RyokoTK posted:

Apparently TASER, the company, are not a fan of this at all.

Yeah my department didn't require us to get a stun to carry. I think the instructors had to but they got certified by some national program

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
TASER talk - don't a lot of those come with built-in video cameras nowadays?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Three-Phase posted:

Stay in the vehicle if contact is made with a line.

If the vehicle catches on fire, you need to jump away from the vehicle. Land with both feet and use the momentum to continue hopping away with both feet together or shuffle taking tiny steps. Do not walk until you are 30 feet from the vehicle.

If you touch the vehicle's frame with your feet on the ground you may be electrocuted.
If you fall on the ground you may be electrocuted from the voltage diffential.
If you take too long of a step you may be electrocuted from the voltage differential.

This is good to know

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We train to jump out and hop away as soon as you make contact, regardless of whether or not there's flames.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Don Gato posted:

It's a great way to clear out your sinuses though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rough Lobster posted:

It's a great way to clear out your sinuses though.

I've been in the chamber three times in my career, and I've had horrible sinus infections prior to going in.

It really does clear you put for a while.

If you want to know what it feels like to breathe in CS had, take a really big :weed: hit from a burnt out bowl with resin and ash. It's like that but it doesn't stop burning. I handled this surprisingly well even with my lung problems because I may have had lots of elective experience breathing smoke.

On your eyes and face it just feels like hot sauce got all over your face and in your eyes. You can totally see, but it hella sucks and you don't want to keep your eyes open.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chitoryu12 posted:

We train to jump out and hop away as soon as you make contact, regardless of whether or not there's flames.

OMG, do you have to practice it as part of the training? And is this filmed? I want to see a bunch of burly construction guys bunny hopping.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
"Cook here. My worst nightmare happened yesterday. An aerosol can of Vegalene somehow fell into the fryer and no one noticed. It exploded while I was standing a foot away with my back to the fryer, showering me with 350° oil. I'm currently in the ICU. "

I don't think it's actually too gross looking at this point, but man this dudes life is gonna suck for months.

:nws: https://imgur.com/AUwo40h :nws:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Pretty sure my worst nightmare would be that, but facing it at the time so it gets my eyes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like he got the ol' spicy kitchen.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

`Nemesis posted:

"Cook here. My worst nightmare happened yesterday. An aerosol can of Vegalene somehow fell into the fryer and no one noticed. It exploded while I was standing a foot away with my back to the fryer, showering me with 350° oil. I'm currently in the ICU. "

I don't think it's actually too gross looking at this point, but man this dudes life is gonna suck for months.

:nws: https://imgur.com/AUwo40h :nws:

That has got to be rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

We train to jump out and hop away as soon as you make eye contact