Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Just re-watched Inside Man for the nth time and realized during the police bus scene at the end all four of the accomplices are shown together, in nearly the same pose.

Not the biggest detail in the world, but I thought it cool to notice after so many re-watches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just rewatched the Ben Stiller//Vince Vaughan flick Dodgeball and there's a scene about halfway through where their team uniforms accidentally get swapped with bondage gear and they have to play their first televised match wearing that stuff, and after the match the S&M club turn up to reclaim their gear.

I just noticed that the S&M club came back at the end and were in the crowd to cheer them on in the final. :v:

(This isn't a subtle moment but the cameo appearance from Lance Armstrong where he gives Vince Vaughan's character a pep talk doesn't work quite so well these days.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just rewatched the Ben Stiller//Vince Vaughan flick Dodgeball and there's a scene about halfway through where their team uniforms accidentally get swapped with bondage gear and they have to play their first televised match wearing that stuff, and after the match the S&M club turn up to reclaim their gear.

I just noticed that the S&M club came back at the end and were in the crowd to cheer them on in the final. :v:

(This isn't a subtle moment but the cameo appearance from Lance Armstrong where he gives Vince Vaughan's character a pep talk doesn't work quite so well these days.)

i disagree, its way funnier now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's not like Lance Armstrong stopped being the best living cyclist.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's not like Lance Armstrong stopped being the best living cyclist.

The guy will tweet from England just to tell you to join him on a ride and you think, why am I not in England? I want to see which why he leans.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And I'm pretty sure he still has never failed a drug test.

How, when he completely full of drugs, we may never know.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
prosthetic second testicle filled with clean urine.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

prosthetic second testicle filled with clean urine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never thought I'd see Dodgeball brought up in any subject related to subtlety.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

You could say the Lance Armstrong thing still works because originally Vince Vaughn's team was supposed to lose at the end. The movie studio execs made them change it to a happy ending, so their "win" could technically be considered a cheat.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dragonstoned posted:

You could say the Lance Armstrong thing still works because originally Vince Vaughn's team was supposed to lose at the end. The movie studio execs made them change it to a happy ending, so their "win" could technically be considered a cheat.

I thought that was a joke ending?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Wasn't it a fight between Stiller and the studio? Stiller wanted the loser ending but they made some kind of compromise where Team Vince won?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yea, that's absolutely a joke ending, all they do is fade to black after they "lose" the first time.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's why the chest with all their strange dubloon winnings says "Deus Ex Machina" on it, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
For a tacked on focus-group ending it's pretty good as they got in a few more jokes and Steve the Pirate came back. I'd have maybe preferred them still losing, but LaFleur betting everything on their losing. The chest of treasure probably wouldn't have been as big though.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Krispy Kareem posted:

For a tacked on focus-group ending it's pretty good as they got in a few more jokes and Steve the Pirate came back. I'd have maybe preferred them still losing, but LaFleur betting everything on their losing. The chest of treasure probably wouldn't have been as big though.

I don't think you'd be allowed to bet on your losing is the problem, I think. Even though it's dodgeball, there are probably still rules.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I'm pretty sure it was the director that wanted the unhappy ending because it was supposed to be a "true underdog" story and he said if they were "true underdogs" they would lose.

Also why he added this scene to the end credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeCy36VuoS4

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I really think you're overthinking a joke. To me, this all reads as dry, dry, sarcasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-hqgP68DnE

Like it just freeze frames on Dwight and his team celebrating, there's no opportunity for the audience to process the emotional swing, it all happens too fast. I can't honestly think everyone thought this was the "right" way to end it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rocket in GotG is a raccoon.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

How high are you right now? I am jealous.

Oh poo poo remember Ranger Rick Raccoon? *coughs subtly*

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MariusLecter posted:

Nuh uh.
He's from an alien race that just happens to look like raccoons. :smug:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

WampaLord posted:

I really think you're overthinking a joke. To me, this all reads as dry, dry, sarcasm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-hqgP68DnE

Like it just freeze frames on Dwight and his team celebrating, there's no opportunity for the audience to process the emotional swing, it all happens too fast. I can't honestly think everyone thought this was the "right" way to end it.

I'll agree with this. Whether or not a movie has a "happy ending" or not, the basic narrative structure requires some kind of closure. We get nothing there other than, "Welp, they lost."

And it's White :colbert: W-H-I-T...

...E. :v:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Inzombiac posted:

Nuh uh.
He's from an alien race that just happens to look like raccoons. :smug:

No, he's an actual raccoon with genetic and cybernetic enhancements.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
No, he's a triangle faced monkey

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Trash panda

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pet monkey

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Piell posted:

No, he's an actual raccoon with genetic and cybernetic enhancements.

No, his origin changes based on who writes the book, idiot. Stupid dumb idiot face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In A Knight's Tale, William gets a new suit of lightweight steel armour. At his first tourney after changing to the new suit, he walks into the lists and all the other knights burst out laughing, until he jumps up on his horse and they suddenly stop. The next scene is of Will's opponent needing his whole entourage to help hoist him up into the saddle. It's a nice, understated moment of comedy without dialogue.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I love A Knight's Tale. There's plenty of great comedic subtle moments, like Roland deciding to make William's tunic out of their tent, and you can see him eye it as he describes the colors that the tunic will be. Also Roland does the same "hype" move every time William jousts where he runs after the horse in a certain way while yelling, look for it, it's good stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the fact you can see a wooden version of the London Eye in 1370s England. Just because. There are a ton of great touches. I love the wide shot of the inside of Notre Dam Cathedral where Will and Jocelyn are arguing, and how it pans back and forth depending on which character is taking control of the argument. There's some really good cinematography in the film.

Arc Hammer has a new favorite as of 03:48 on May 23, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WampaLord posted:

I love A Knight's Tale. There's plenty of great comedic subtle moments, like Roland deciding to make William's tunic out of their tent, and you can see him eye it as he describes the colors that the tunic will be. Also Roland does the same "hype" move every time William jousts where he runs after the horse in a certain way while yelling, look for it, it's good stuff.

I'm so dumb! I never connected the tent ant tunic thing. It's so obvious! I thought he was just panicking and made something up. Well he did but you know what I mean.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I'm so dumb! I never connected the tent ant tunic thing. It's so obvious! I thought he was just panicking and made something up. Well he did but you know what I mean.

Haha, it took me till like my third time watching to figure it out too, it's very clever acting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Haha, it took me till like my third time watching to figure it out too, it's very clever acting.

The bit where he's struggling to make up a dance is the most awkward thing I can imagine, and even years after seeing it I still cringe internally.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Imagined posted:

Just watched 'The Girl With All the Gifts', which I thought was pretty great.

At the end of the movie, Melanie has opened all the spores (Pandora's Box) and Sgt. Parks has come after her and gotten himself infected. Barely even being able to hold it any longer, he gives her his pistol and begs her to shoot him. She immediately chambers a round, and Parks asks her, "Where'd you learn to do that?" "I watched you," she replies. "Of course you did," he says, and smiles. Glenn Close's character Dr. Caldwell had written in a report about Melanie, "Exquisite mimicry of observed behaviours?" much earlier in the film, and that quote had been brought up again a few moments before Parks' final scene.

I thought that was a pretty neat callback.

And yeah, that film was waaaaaay better than I thought it was going to be. I rolled my eyes when Mrs. Fai rented it but ended up ordering a copy for us to own. It's pretty drat good.

WampaLord posted:

I love A Knight's Tale.

This is another film I thought I'd hate but ended up loving. It's chock full of little things. I swear I notice something new every time I watch it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Subtle television moments: The Expanse has a hard on for tiny details. During the close quarters battle in the season 2 premiere, point defense rounds rip through both ships leaving molten trails behind them. When Alex guns the engine, the floating pieces of molten metal drop to the deck under thrust. It's really cool to see how they play with physics in the show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was rewatching the Lego Movie last night and I just noticed that during the "Darkness.... No Parents" song you can actually see Wyldestyle mouthing along to the lyrics :3:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Rewatched Galaxy Quest recently and I love that the design of the Protector (barrel-shaped main hull with disc-shaped engines/wings coming straight back from the body) is basically a reversed Federation starship (saucer in the front, straight engine nacelles going straight up in the back with a barrel-shaped hull in the middle).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Been rewatching Daredevil S2 and thought it was kind of neat when they're in court and showing Frank Castle's head injuries, the xray looks like the Punisher logo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polaron posted:

Rewatched Galaxy Quest recently and I love that the design of the Protector (barrel-shaped main hull with disc-shaped engines/wings coming straight back from the body) is basically a reversed Federation starship (saucer in the front, straight engine nacelles going straight up in the back with a barrel-shaped hull in the middle).

Have you seen the documentary?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjT0KWn6T7I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus? I heard a lot of poo poo about it due to the timing of Heath Ledger's death but I enjoyed it despite the baggage, and thought the choice to recast Heath for every entrance into the Imaginarium was a clever way of getting around that Heath had only filmed the real-world scenes, as the character was an amnesiac conman, so of course in the world of the Imaginarium he becomes a different person. Also Tom Waites had a lot of fun playing the devil and really geeked out about it in the extras :3: I also liked the way the movie ended, I thought it was an interesting twist on the Deal with the Devil idea because The Devil won but only because the last soul he obtained gave herself to him out of anger at her father - the Devil didn't want her as a piece on the board, she was only supposed to be the prize so she ruined his fun as he felt he didn't "earn" his win.

I also really liked the Dustin Hoffman movie Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I felt it did a very good job feeling Seussian without being actually written by Doctor Seuss. I enjoyed the logic of Mr Magorium's life as well, that he knows that he's going to die because he fell so completely in love with a pair of shoes hundreds of years ago he bought enough to last his entire lifetime - he is down to his last pair, that slowly erode over the course of the movie. I thought it did a good job exploring the concept of what happens when the Magic literally Dies , and the passing of the torch scene with Mahoney filling the shop with her own wonder via the piano was a great ending.