Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah that's a fair point I didn't think about. Although I hope they turn down the audio of that actual animatronic because you can hear that thing at load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

How was Banshee with regards to larger people? I'm going in August for a few days and some friends I'm going with are flipping out over some DIS bloggers write up that if you're large you won't be able to ride.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Douchebag posted:

How was Banshee with regards to larger people? I'm going in August for a few days and some friends I'm going with are flipping out over some DIS bloggers write up that if you're large you won't be able to ride.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Flight of Passage has a very unique ride restraint. It is essentially a non-coaster version of the tron coaster at Shanghai. You straddle it like a bike and lean forward and restraints for the legs and back are put into place. This will be the first major ride in Disney history with a likely chance of certain body types not being able to ride. I am a big guy, and i was able to ride, but not without assistance. The biggest issue isn't so much girth (although it's tight, for sure) it is actually height. A friend of mine who is very tall was unable to ride, where I was, after the cast member pushed a bit. It's a stellar ride, but the restraint system may rule it out for some guests, which I am sure they are working on right now.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm big too (280 5'11) and had some trouble. BBS is right you sit on it like a bike, but like a bike that's chopped off the front and smashed against a wall. So like my butt didn't fit on the "seat" but I basically kind of grabbed the bars and pulled myself and my gut as much forward as I could until the restraint locked. It was uncormfortable but hey it worked.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also I don't know if this is different than when BBS went but basically the second you wait in line to enter Pandora(the land not the ride even) there's cast members with flip books saying "have you seen the restraints?" Explaining its a tight fit and they stop you also and show you before you enter the queue. Makes you wonder if they're so concerned about it why did they go this route anyways and not something like a coaster harness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Also I don't know if this is different than when BBS went but basically the second you wait in line to enter Pandora(the land not the ride even) there's cast members with flip books saying "have you seen the restraints?" Explaining its a tight fit and they stop you also and show you before you enter the queue. Makes you wonder if they're so concerned about it why did they go this route anyways and not something like a coaster harness.

Probably because a motorcycle-style seat was the best way to simulate riding a banshee as seen in the film, and they wanted you to have a little more freedom to move around. Steeplechase coasters often use lap bars, but those are even worse if you have a slight gut. I don't have any gut issues (I have a completely average build for someone 6'2), but I rode a steeplechase coaster and it was awful.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

POVs for Flight of Passage are starting to show up on YouTube if you're into that stuff. I'm pretty impressed how good the footage looks just watching it on YouTube.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

they added that for AP/DVC Previews, I believe. They will be getting a test seat out front of the entrance for grand opening, I believe.

turns out I believe in a lot of things.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The more I think about it the more I actually liked Pandora. I miss it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Did any of you interact with the pod?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It wasn't working. I used the instrument pods though.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We're going to be headed to the park in a few hours. Our AP preview is from 6-8P but my wife checked the website for FP's at the park and she sees a FP for the Navi river for 5P. Guess we are going early?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

It wasn't working. I used the instrument pods though.

Are you sure? Maybe you didn't interact hard enough.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We knocked on the big pod for like 30 seconds and got a ton of smoke coming out around our feet then we got squirted. It was great.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

We're going to be headed to the park in a few hours. Our AP preview is from 6-8P but my wife checked the website for FP's at the park and she sees a FP for the Navi river for 5P. Guess we are going early?

The fastpass is not actually a fastpass it's your entry into the event, but it should let you in at 5 like it says. :)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They let us in at 2 when our preview was 3-5.

And yeah like a bunch of people banged on the pod and nothing so thinking maybe it was down

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

They let us in at 2 when our preview was 3-5.

And yeah like a bunch of people banged on the pod and nothing so thinking maybe it was down

From the video I saw you have to rub the pink, exposed area.

edit: https://twitter.com/hectorservin2/status/863939975167062016

Dren fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 18, 2017

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So many photos. My phone​ overheat and shut down twice.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
At Paradise Pier in DL. Came back to rose petals and chocolate on the bed. View is great. Getting married tomorrow.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Congrats!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Have a great wedding!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Congrats to you both!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I've never done Orlando in the summer. Is it crazy to think I should bring light weight long sleeved shirts in order to keep the sun off my skin. Or are short sleeves the way to go?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BlueBayou posted:

I've never done Orlando in the summer. Is it crazy to think I should bring light weight long sleeved shirts in order to keep the sun off my skin. Or are short sleeves the way to go?

It really depends on personal preference.

It is hot and humid here. Short sleeves and sunscreen are usually enough but if you really don't want sun at all and are comfortable in long-sleeved shirts in the heat go for it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If you haven't spent a summer in central Florida before, you probably can't imagine just how humid it is, and how awful you're likely to feel in long sleeves.

Go short sleeves, and bring more sunscreen than you think you'll need.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

WhiteHowler posted:

If you haven't spent a summer in central Florida before, you probably can't imagine just how humid it is, and how awful you're likely to feel in long sleeves.

Go short sleeves, and bring more sunscreen than you think you'll need.

Hats hats hats hats hats hats.

It is completely unbelievable how much better covering your head makes you feel.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah i was just going to bring a baseball hat, but Im now thinking a big ridiculous sun hat is the way to go

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm somewhat used to the sun since I grew up here, but I prefer light and breezy clothes like this Quiksilver button-up shirt I have. Short sleeves, light fabric, and light color make for a comfortable summer shirt.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, my go to Florida outfit is running shorts and a tank top from basically May - October. Even the tech tees build up a lot of heat for me. It's a mixed bag at Disney though, because the indoor attractions and restaurants overcompensate with the AC and you freeze if you spend more than a few minutes inside, only to get shocked by the heat as soon as you go back out.

Here's a castle shot from That Bridge

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Finally got caught up after my trip to Disneyland on the 14-16th. Man, I was expecting crowds on Mother's Day but I wasn't really expecting those crowds to continue into the Monday and Tuesday as well. But, with liberal and smart usage of Fastpasses and the Disneyland App, it wasn't as bad as we could've expected. Hell, on that first day we got there over an hour after the parks opened, and still got on Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Mr Toad's Wild Ride, and Jungle Cruise, while still catching the Main Street Electrical Parade and the Fireworks. But yeah, unless crowds lessen (which is unlikely by any measure) Disneyland and California Adventure is becoming more and more of a 3 day resort, as opposed to something that the dedicated could knock out in 2.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BlueBayou posted:

To add on to what others have said, if you're not familiar with an environment like Orlando's, make sure you're drinking water constantly. It's insane how easy it is to end up with dehydration and heat exhaustion while doing Disney in the summer. You'll never expect it either, one moment you'll just feel sweaty and 5 minutes later you'll feel like death.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

the heat kicked in out of nowhere this year and does not look to be stoping. It's miserable.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Random July trip planned. I think we have a problem.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yep, we had a very mild Spring with nights in the 60s then the heat kicked in with a vengeance and is making up for it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Satan's Butthole is an understatement most days.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It was record highs last week when I was there. I believe it was 97 last Thursday. I refused to go to Animal Kingdom that day until close to sunset. It's so much hotter at AK.

A bunch of my friends are at Pandora tonight and getting photos with Joe Rohde. I am very jealous.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently plans just leaked for the extermination of universe of energy (which they said on my Epcot tour) rip

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
It is also hot af in SoCal this weekend. Nevertheless, I heard Disneyland hit capacity today. Grad Nite and I was told it was the last weekend for the So Cal passholders to get in.

But we got married today and only wandered into California Adventure this evening. Tomorrow will be Disneyland with some friends and family in tow.

Everything has been great with the exception of the elevator system in the hotel, which is a pile of hot crap.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Apparently plans just leaked for the extermination of universe of energy (which they said on my Epcot tour) rip

What I read was that permits had been filed for a redesign of the drainage area behind the show building. Nothing conclusive about what's going to replace the ride itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Finally getting around to posting pics of Pandora. Visually there is a lot to take in is how I sum it up. Also heard that they are going to limit entry into the area to keep it from being so overcrowded that the experience is not enjoyable.

Notice the non-Mickey hidden Mickey in the last photo. Since they are not allowed to have anything Mickey Mouse in there down to the shopping bags we found this to be amusing. It's not a hidden Mickey but damned well trying to be one.

http://imgur.com/a/gSbz9

Best part was we bought a Banshee at the store, I walked out and sold it in under five minutes to gawkers hanging around the area outside by Tiffins that could not get it. I realized this was going to be a thing because people walking out of the preview while we were in line earlier in the day were wearing them on their shoulder and other gawkers were asking questions how to get them etc. Saw the opportunity, capitalized and doubled my money then bought one for the wife as a collector item.