Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ugh, choice paralysis. Anyone have some links to optimized skill builds yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

This one's my go-to

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wouldn't be so bad if I knew I could reconfigure stuff, but the price tag on respec's makes me not want to touch anything until someone with more resources has mapped everything out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Skippy McPants posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if I knew I could reconfigure stuff, but the price tag on respec's makes me not want to touch anything until someone with more resources has mapped everything out.

and therein lies the crux of the issue

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh wow the Spirit Bear is just trash now. Even with MASC. They completely gutted its acceleration, probably in the same pass that they hit the KDK-3 with. THe 3 doesn't suffer as bad because it still has enough to peek and poke with, but the SB just dies. You need to burst the MASC for about 5 seconds to get up to full speed.

Looking at the speed curves a un-quirked Dire Wolf accelerates about a third faster than a mobility-quirked SB.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh wow the Spirit Bear is just trash now. Even with MASC. They completely gutted its acceleration, probably in the same pass that they hit the KDK-3 with. THe 3 doesn't suffer as bad because it still has enough to peek and poke with, but the SB just dies. You need to burst the MASC for about 5 seconds to get up to full speed.

Looking at the speed curves a un-quirked Dire Wolf accelerates about a third faster than a mobility-quirked SB.

Wait, how does that work?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Artificer posted:

Wait, how does that work?

There's a defined accel/decel stat for each mech now. I forget the exact details, but the long and the short of it is you need to look at the acceleration and deceleration curves in the detailed info for the mech. The SB has one of the most anemic curves in the game, worse even than a Dire Wolf.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Artificer posted:

and therein lies the crux of the issue

I had one quick look before work and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttFomlDRd4&t=0m52s

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, never mind, :pgi: strikes again. The y-axis isn't the same on all the graphs. The SB accelerates 1 m/s faster than the DW. Why they would make the graphs have a different scale is totally beyond me.

Either way, the SB just got gutted by the acceleration changes.

edit: to put things in perspective, an Awesome accelerates at about 15m/s

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a defined accel/decel stat for each mech now. I forget the exact details, but the long and the short of it is you need to look at the acceleration and deceleration curves in the detailed info for the mech. The SB has one of the most anemic curves in the game, worse even than a Dire Wolf.

Yeah, it definitely looks like their way of nerfing stronger meta chassis. The Night Gyr has like half the baseline accel/decel of other heavies and only turns/yaws 2/3rds as fast.

I.E. top speed and engine be damned, this mech has half the mobility of this other mech of the same weight because reasons!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Seriously, though, look at these graphs. I feel like this belongs in the lovely graph forum.

Here's the SB. Note the Y axis.

Here's the DW.

Why on earth would you shrink the Y axis by half for one? Jesus christ :pgi: is even bad at graphs.

Either way, the SB does not move light a nimble brawler now. Even MASC isn't enough to save it from that pitiful acceleration.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Skoll posted:

This entire skill tree bullshit is dumb and I'll just play unskilled mechs other games because I'm lazy.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've been using the consumable tree to pretty good effect. Just run down one branch. On my urbie I have two artillery strikes, on my top dog I have two coolshots. The cool shots are good enough that I can do my 91 point alpha, coolshot, 91 point alpha again, then coolshot, and 91 point alpha again, then 91 point alpha again and finally overheat. I can hammer out 364 damage as quickly as my weapons cool down :v:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, though, look at these graphs. I feel like this belongs in the lovely graph forum.

Here's the SB. Note the Y axis.

Here's the DW.

Why on earth would you shrink the Y axis by half for one? Jesus christ :pgi: is even bad at graphs.

Either way, the SB does not move light a nimble brawler now. Even MASC isn't enough to save it from that pitiful acceleration.

Yeah, 190% of 6 is still just 20ish acceleration after masc. Slow as gently caress.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

I don't expect firestarters to ever recover again.

They committed the ultimate crime: At one point in the game's history, they were very good. Mechs that have been good at one point are never allowed to be relevant ever again even long after the circumstances that made them good have been changed. See: Jenner, Catapult, Cataphract, Victor, Highlander, etc. PGI is so afraid to buff these mechs because they didn't understand what made them good in the first place, so after the game changed and left the mechs behind, they're overcautious about buffing them again, even years later.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

There's no reason not to just transfer a mech's historic XP into regular XP right?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Historic can be used on any instance of a variant, whereas the new XP is mech specific. So, like, even if you own two separate KDK-3s, they both have their own XP and skill points, but you can use your HXP pool for either one.

So it only matters if you ever plan to own more than one of a given variant.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 17, 2017

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
spent 10 min futzing with a warham, got to the skills, 2 min later altf4.

good luck people. :stare:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

On the bright side, its not just us making GBS threads on MWO for once. Even the Reddit hugbox hates it.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
so did PGI kill their game yet?

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Skippy McPants posted:

for scaredy-cats that don't want to commit, I did find this :

https://nbarnes.github.io/mwo_skill_tree_planner/

Still in alpha, but does give an idea about the progression needed for desired skill trees.

Good god, they truly done hosed up with the skill trees though.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the skill tree is too big but fine tbh, just go down weapons tree to max it out then do some kind of mix of consumable, mobility (light and med without structure/armor quirks) or defense for anyone else.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

As the one guy who got no legs day fat man leaning back, it is a good SRM bomber and the quirks + skill tree makes it feel like you're getting free artemis. There's a comedy option 153+ kmh build but with agility decoupling it really just results in you slamming into walls everywhere on the city maps. I mean don't spend money on it but when it's out for cbills it'll be at least decent for light players and whoever's still playing this game.

Hi There! is neat with spls but I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Is this game worth coming back too? I haven't played since the first 3 months. I manged to get a C Atlas during that time.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
uhhh who are you with just playing a lovely game with drunk goons?

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Gonna wait until the one true build stuff gets worked out. I just wanted to shoot robot and can't be bothered 🤡

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

This is my quick observations that may change over time, but:

1. Seismic and Radar Dep are still very good, especially because most people now don't have seismic. The sensor tree isn't absolutely necessary, but it does actually give you a big edge to at least grab one bubble of seismic.

2. You should prioritize the tree that most favors your mech chassis's strongest points- Mechs with quirk armor bonuses like the urbanmech, vindicator, or cataphract should take the survivability tree, mechs with huge mobility (almost anything with MASC) should focus on all the leg stuff in the mobility tree, mechs that are totally dedicated to shooting (like my idiot top dog build) should hit everything in the firepower tree. Doing this gives you more bang for your buck. Your secondary tree should be used to shore up whatever weakness your mech has in those departments (heavies and assaults will almost always need mobility, lights and mediums may need firepower to help them shoot better, etc.)

3. Almost every mech should hit every single cool run bubble in the operations tree. If you shut down frequently get all of the quick power-up nodes. Heat containment isn't that useful in my opinion, but go for it if you want absolutely optimal heat efficiency.

4. Consumables are pretty powerful, and I am still on the edge as to whether it is worth cutting out some firepower bubbles for the sake of getting 2x coolshots or 2x artillery/air strikes with full nodes.

I don't know if the jump jet tree is placebo or if it actually does anything. No goddamn idea at all.

Overall, I think that operations and agility are the two trees that I'm using for everything. I will then mostly prioritize firepower over survivability, unless the mech has huge armor quirks already, because those fuckers stack are added into your armor before % armor boost from the skill tree is applied.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 17, 2017

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hmm hunch bunch should be pretty fun now. Did the griffin 2n escape unscathed? At work cant play this train wreck

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Commoners posted:

This is my quick observations that may change over time, but:

1. Seismic and Radar Dep are still very good, especially because most people now don't have seismic. The sensor tree isn't absolutely necessary, but it does actually give you a big edge to at least grab one bubble of seismic.

2. You should prioritize the tree that most favors your mech chassis's strongest points- Mechs with quirk armor bonuses like the urbanmech, vindicator, or cataphract should take the survivability tree, mechs with huge mobility (almost anything with MASC) should focus on all the leg stuff in the mobility tree, mechs that are totally dedicated to shooting (like my idiot top dog build) should hit everything in the firepower tree. Doing this gives you more bang for your buck. Your secondary tree should be used to shore up whatever weakness your mech has in those departments (heavies and assaults will almost always need mobility, lights and mediums may need firepower to help them shoot better, etc.)

3. Almost every mech should hit every single cool run bubble in the operations tree. If you shut down frequently get all of the quick power-up nodes. Heat containment isn't that useful in my opinion, but go for it if you want absolutely optimal heat efficiency.

4. Consumables are pretty powerful, and I am still on the edge as to whether it is worth cutting out some firepower bubbles for the sake of getting 2x coolshots or 2x artillery/air strikes with full nodes.

I don't know if the jump jet tree is placebo or if it actually does anything. No goddamn idea at all.

Overall, I think that operations and agility are the two trees that I'm using for everything. I will then mostly prioritize firepower over survivability, unless the mech has huge armor quirks already, because those fuckers stack are added into your armor before % armor boost from the skill tree is applied.

Did you put many points into survivability on the TOP DOG? I noticed it has lots of internal structure bonuses to begin with but I'm not sure if it's worth it to spends points.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I don't think I put in any. I don't think structure is worth it, because it melts when it gets hit by crits. Having more structure is definitely better than having less, but I personally think that only armor quirks are worth buffing with the survivability tree.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Commoners posted:

Heat shielding is largely worthless but all the rest of them work pretty well. Vectoring makes the biggest difference when you're jumping from stationary or against a wall, and it makes it much easier to get on ledges without a running start or exposing yourself since it keeps pushing you forward. Lift speed isn't worth anything if you only have one or two JJs but if you're in something like a PHX, Javelin, Spider, or Arctic Cheetah then you can just hurtle yourself over buildings and cross the map really easily.

If you're JJ heavy it feels worth it to spend the 16 skill points for everything except shielding since it improves your escapeability so much.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

I don't think I put in any. I don't think structure is worth it, because it melts when it gets hit by crits. Having more structure is definitely better than having less, but I personally think that only armor quirks are worth buffing with the survivability tree.

Yeah, the number of points you have to invest vs. the added HP it provides doesn't seem like a great value on all but a handful of edge cases.

And the Ops tree might be too good. Cool Run and Heat Containment have some of my hotter laser boats are running cooler than they did pre-patch which maybe seems like it's not what they intended?

Edit: ~20/10/1 in Op/Sensors/Aux feels mandatory for the heat management, radar dep, and consumable slot. Although I guess you could get away with not running rador dep in some setting, but I wouldn't want to be without it in QM.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 17, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, the number of points you have to invest vs. the added HP it provides doesn't seem like a great value on all but a handful of edge cases.

And the Ops tree might be too good. Cool Run and Heat Containment have some of my hotter laser boats are running cooler than they did pre-patch which maybe seems like it's not what they intended?

They were net nerfed from what they used to have when a mech was elited out. Basic skills got doubled in the old system when you had full elite stuff, so heat containment and cool run gave 15% and 10% respectively (I think, I'm probably slightly off.) If you didn't have mechs elited out then you'll see a pretty big difference.

e: Just tried it out, the quickdraw IV4 is pretty monstrous. They gave quickdraws really good agility stats, so you undersize the engine and throw the two AC10s onto its arms and it is a baby atlas. You still have a 32% cooldown on its AC10s, and it ends up with 76ST and 112CT front armor. You have the option between running a STD200 and going abysmally slow, or you can run an XL250 and go pretty drat fast. It used to be ammo starved, but with the ammo quirk it is pretty drat well off.

I wish I had some nonhero mechs that make for oddball builds, but there aren't too many that I see that don't have some weird outstanding potential.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 17, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Commoners posted:

They were net nerfed from what they used to have when a mech was elited out. Basic skills got doubled in the old system when you had full elite stuff, so heat containment and cool run gave 15% and 10% respectively (I think, I'm probably slightly off.) If you didn't have mechs elited out then you'll see a pretty big difference.

They are lower, 10/15 now vs 15/20 before, but we also have the new Heat Gen nodes in the Firepower which you'll get up to 5-10% depending on how much you invest. All of it stacked together has me running noticeably cooler than before. Pre-patch my laser TBR spiked to 64% on an alpha vs. 54% post patch.

Edit: Also, wtf is up with the skill tabs and skill trees having different labels?

The tabs are called: Firepower, Survival, Mobility, Jump Jets, Operations, Sensors, and Auxillary.

But the actual trees are: Weapons, Armor Structure, Agility, Jump Capabilities, Mech Operations, Sensor Systems, and Miscellaneous.

Did someone just forget to make sure the labeling matched up between different builds?

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 17, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

How's the Catapult in mobility? Under the new system I'm thinking I might be able to build a pretty mean Splatapult.

Also, do +Velocity quirks affect missiles, or are they ballistics only?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Some mechs are crazy mobile now. Summoner has like 55 kph accel. Moves like a fast medium.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This is mostly where I'm at. I'm a little less convinced of the utility of the armor quirks, mostly because they are so small. Even if you have a hefty bonus it's not the biggest bump. I think it maxes at 10%? Your +25 armor bonus on the CT of something like the lovely Atlas only yields an extra +2. I dunno, maybe, on mechs with truly nutso armor bonuses but I'm still on the edge about this one.

Skippy McPants posted:

They are lower, 10/15 now vs 15/20 before, but we also have the new Heat Gen nodes in the Firepower which you'll get up to 5-10% depending on how much you invest. All of it stacked together has me running noticeably cooler than before. Pre-patch my laser TBR spiked to 64% on an alpha vs. 54% post patch.

Edit: Also, wtf is up with the skill tabs and skill trees having different labels?

The tabs are called: Firepower, Survival, Mobility, Jump Jets, Operations, Sensors, and Auxillary.

But the actual trees are: Weapons, Armor Structure, Agility, Jump Capabilities, Mech Operations, Sensor Systems, and Miscellaneous.

Did someone just forget to make sure the labeling matched up between different builds?

Yeah, he's right. If you stack the heat bonuses in the firepower tree and cool run / heat containment you become a monster. I'm pulling heat sinks off all my old energy boat builds.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Man I guess I will patch up if only to see my refund ledger.

Reading up on the thread it still seems like hunch bunch could be fun. Has anyone played around with cents?

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
Thaumaturge here, going to let the dust settle and let the pros figure out the optimal builds before I get my hands dirty.

Last night I was drunk and transferred all my HSP on my old mechs to SP. Was that a mistake or what you should do? This patch confuses the hell out of me with the different currencies.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: ~20/10/1 in Op/Sensors/Aux feels mandatory for the heat management, radar dep, and consumable slot. Although I guess you could get away with not running rador dep in some setting, but I wouldn't want to be without it in QM.

Oh man is the 6 lpl mauler deathstar at all viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Oh man is the 6 lpl mauler deathstar at all viable

A 6LPL BLR-1G totally works.

• Locked thread