Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Risk vs Reward. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also it's pretty important to note that the Tactical Reserves rule only specifies things by units and not points. So if your army has a few disposable units (like a small squad of grots for Orks) then you could shift more points into reserve.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
You can't advance and charge because what with the new charge rules actually moving you the distance regardless of whether you successfully engage it'd functionally make charge distances 3d6 for everyone.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did they specify that you couldn't run in the shooting phase and then charge in the charge phase?

They clarified it on facebook as no shooting or charging if you advance, barring unit special rules.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Did they specify that you couldn't run in the shooting phase and then charge in the charge phase?

Games Workshop posted:

Running has been rolled into the Movement phase now, too. You can “Advance” when you move by rolling a dice and adding the result to your Movement to go a bit faster at the expense of shooting.

This applies to all models – infantry, vehicles, bikes – everyone. By including this roll as part of your move, the game speeds up, as you no longer have to move models in both the Movement and Shooting phases.

e: also yeah they said on Facebook you can't advance and charge in the same turn

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Being forced to land 9" away is kinda far, but getting to be there guaranteed is nice, so nice I feel it makes up for the loss of those longshot deepstrikes.

I only played a few games with my Night Lord raptor formation where I could assault out of deepstrike (counted as disordered). As powerful as that was supposed to be, I would land too far away or fail my (rerollable) charge a lot.

So if you think this is too strong, it might not be as bad as you first think.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Maybe I'll finally be able to do Trygon tunnels filled with Hormagaunts and have it work, which is all I've really ever wanted. Though it may be tough to fit 30 Hormagaunts within 3" of a Trygon...

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Artum posted:

Deep strike rules from AoS then as anticipated, you can assault but the odds are against you.
The AOS deep strike rules are cool and good. You can do all your normal actions unless the ability states otherwise (they usually restrict movement).

It's worth noting that if you have to deploy >9" away (9.00001") and charge within 1" you still need to roll a 9+ to complete that charge because an 8 will leave you 1.00001" away. There will certainly be bonuses for charging and the ability to reroll 1 dice per phase with command points is awesome.

Not sure how I feel about having to deploy at least half your army on the board, but if deployment is guaranteed then I think it will be fine.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pawl posted:

The AOS deep strike rules are cool and good. You can do all your normal actions unless the ability states otherwise (they usually restrict movement).

It's worth noting that if you have to deploy >9" away (9.00001") and charge within 1" you still need to roll a 9+ to complete that charge because an 8 will leave you 1.00001" away. There will certainly be bonuses for charging and the ability to reroll 1 dice per phase with command points is awesome.

Not sure how I feel about having to deploy at least half your army on the board, but if deployment is guaranteed then I think it will be fine.

No one plays like this.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah that's a lovely strawman. Too bad people keep applying it to Warmachine too.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Pawl posted:

source your drat quotes

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

ijyt posted:

No one plays like this.
What

Nobody plays the game the way is explicitly designed to be played?

If the rule says "more than 9" " then you can't deploy at 9". It is specifically worded this way to mean you need to roll a minimum of 9 to charge after deploying. Rolling 8+ is a 42% chance while 9+ is a 28% chance, which is a pretty huge difference in success rates - an 8" charge is about 50% more likely to succeed.

This is how it works in AOS and everyone plays it this way. The rules are worded very clearly and it is unambiguous.

Pawl fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 17, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pawl posted:

What

Nobody plays the game the way is explicitly designed to be played?

If the rule says "more than 9" " then you can't deploy at 9". It is specifically worded this way to mean you need to roll a minimum of 9 to charge after deploying.

This is how it works in AOS and everyone plays it this way. The rules are worded very clearly and it is unambiguous.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are having a fit over it being said that "more than 9in" doesn't mean "at 9in", and 6 + 3 < 9.00001

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Yeah, I agree, we've always done > N inches not being the same as N inches. That's why top of turn one charges were generally impossible. Even if a 12" mover deployed directly across from another unit, both as close to the deployment line as possible, a 12" charge would still fail.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Wonder if this means we'll have extremely fatal transport explosions now too.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That seems to be the case, especially with matched play saying your forces count as destroyed if they're not out by round 3.

I'm going to love this rule right up until the first time I have dudes in reserve and straight forget to deploy them until turn 4 because I'm already 8 beers deep.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ANAmal.net posted:

I'm going to love this rule right up until the first time I have dudes in reserve and straight forget to deploy them until turn 4 because I'm already 8 beers deep.

When playing beerhammer, always bait your opponent into drinking more than you. That is the true game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

Judging from past experience, whether you could bring them in turn 4 or later wouldn't matter anyway in the games you play

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Artum posted:

Wonder if this means we'll have extremely fatal transport explosions now too.

If the wording on the Trygons ability and the recent transport zeppelins added to AOS are any indication, any models that can't be placed within a certain range of their host unit (usually <3) but more than a certain range away from enemy units (usually >3") are slain immediately.

So if you fully wrap a transport with melee units and destroy it, it should be impossible to disembark properly and therefore all models inside it are slain.

Charge a transport with gaunts to get an easy surround, but leave space for a heavy hitter (like a Trygon!) to pop the transport

:getin:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pawl posted:

If the wording on the Trygons ability and the recent transport zeppelins added to AOS are any indication, any models that can't be placed within a certain range of their host unit (usually <1") but more than a certain range away from enemy units (usually >3") are slain immediately.

So if you fully wrap a transport with melee units and destroy it, it should be impossible to disembark properly and therefore all models inside it are slain.

Charge a transport with gaunts to get an easy surround, but leave space for a heavy hitter (like a Trygon!) to pop the transport

:getin:

I meant more bailing out of an arkhanaut means you roll a d6 for every model and for each 1 the model is slain, not mortal wounds, slain.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Here is FF DrewCarey - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/17/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-drukhari-may17/

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

No Escape is cool and good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Oh look - falling back out of combat has consequences.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Huh, first gun that straight up does multiple damage instead of a d# roll.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

Great, now everyone can stop crying about how GW is still going to mess up Tyranids in the New Edition.

Challenge accepted

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh look - falling back out of combat has consequences.

And it being a roll off means you can expend a command point on it.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
"Open Topped vehicles allow you to shoot out of them still, which is a massive benefit. You can even fire Pistol weapons out of the vehicle when it is engaged in close combat! "

Awesome

:stonk:

I'm glad that's a special ability just for Wyches... but I fully expect all sorts of units with whips and lashes to get the same special rule

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Yeah, No Escape looks dope. It's the kinda effect melee units are gonna need.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Judging from past experience, whether you could bring them in turn 4 or later wouldn't matter anyway in the games you play

No, but if I can tank the game on purpose and make it look like an accident, then I don't have to face the reality of being a big-time idiot rear end in a top hat. This is what it takes for me to sleep at night.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

DO IT TO IT posted:

Yeah, No Escape looks dope. It's the kinda effect melee units are gonna need.

How long until power creep sets in and we get a unit that has an Always Escapes rule that ignores No Escape

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Roll-offs seem like a good way to have things be random, but also allow both players to spend command points to alter the outcome

ANAmal.net posted:

No, but if I can tank the game on purpose and make it look like an accident, then I don't have to face the reality of being a big-time idiot rear end in a top hat. This is what it takes for me to sleep at night.

and here I always figured it was the plastic jug of weapons-grade gin that did the trick

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I can already see a rules argument. If the players roll the same number is that a win?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

I can already see a rules argument. If the players roll the same number is that a win?

I assume that "roll-offs" will be covered in the main rulebook

e: But I shot them a note on facebook.

Related note, they don't know if daemon summoning is 'use-it-or-lose it' by the end of turn 3. Said there's more to come on summoning rules.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 17, 2017

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

Pawl posted:

How long until power creep sets in and we get a unit that has an Always Escapes rule that ignores No Escape

Tune in for Friday's faction preview.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Pawl posted:

I'm glad that's a special ability just for Wyches... but I fully expect all sorts of units with whips and lashes to get the same special rule

i don't play nids but man hormagaunts should get that rule for sure

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Geoff Zahn posted:

i don't play nids but man hormagaunts should get that rule for sure

They should get something like "swarmed" where you cant retreat if beyond a certain number are engaged with you.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

8E... good?!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, it's only taken them 3 editions to get Trygon tunnels to actually work. :psyduck:

Pawl posted:

40k has had this rule for forever. It's nothing new.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Artum posted:

They should get something like "swarmed" where you cant retreat if beyond a certain number are engaged with you.

they kind of don't need a rule for this--if you just surround the enemy with hormogaunts, they literally can't retreat

Also aren't hormogaunts supposed to be dirt-cheap and fast? Making them super-deadly elite killers in CC would kill the purpose of poo poo like genestealers and lictors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Safety Factor posted:

Holy poo poo, it's only taken them 3 editions to get Trygon tunnels to actually work. :psyduck:

40k has had this rule for forever. It's nothing new.

Its also fair enough because you typically have to expend waaaaaay more points than what you're gimmick killing for it to actually work.

• Locked thread