Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

I too find myself unreasonably excited at the prospect of having better looking background images for a game I play for 30 minutes every month, keep up the good work.

Actually it's entirely reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Decided to try stone instead of mud in the town square.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that looks a lot better, honestly. like some sort of town square. maybe even a step further, if you want, and put some small detail along the lines of fairground banners or some light scaffolding that will be covered up by the forts if/when they're built?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Johnny Joestar posted:

that looks a lot better, honestly. like some sort of town square. maybe even a step further, if you want, and put some small detail along the lines of fairground banners or some light scaffolding that will be covered up by the forts if/when they're built?

Or just maybe some little linework to enhance the idea of a cobblestone town square.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The trick is adding just enough of a pattern to be processed by the brain (consciously or not) without drawing the eye (because it's a background, and the entire style of the map is about curves rather than grids).

This is an attempt, at least.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I hope the Illwinter guys look at this and cry themselves to sleep about how they'll never make a mapgen this good (this mapgen is really good Corbeau.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Corbeau posted:

The trick is adding just enough of a pattern to be processed by the brain (consciously or not) without drawing the eye (because it's a background, and the entire style of the map is about curves rather than grids).

drat, that's really good

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I love the stone-paved square. With the dirt it just looked like a hole waiting for a Fort but lacking its presence.

Can we see one with a fort & temple in the same prov? Does it automatically put the fort into the town square?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Speleothing posted:

Can we see one with a fort & temple in the same prov? Does it automatically put the fort into the town square?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

Any plans to scatter smaller collections of buildings around the farmlands?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ooh and can there be more houses in high-pop countries and fewer in low-pop? E.g., is it possible to generate the pop numbers for provs before you draw the background...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think that runs the risk of the map providing too much information.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

You could put more houses in the sites with the extra-population modifiers ('large' and 'fresh water').

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

goatface posted:

Hmm yeah I guess you have to send a scout to know that, that's right.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

goatface posted:

That is public information if you open the map in the map editor. There are specific tags for large and small provinces; you won't know the exact numbers but can get a general idea.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Z the IVth posted:

Any plans to scatter smaller collections of buildings around the farmlands?

Not currently.

Using buildings to denote large provinces isn't a terrible idea, but I'm not sure the current sprites are right for every terrain type. It's a feature that won't make it into the first beta release, anyway (which is approaching; I'm down to only two real steps before beta release is viable, and they're legal/logistics stuff). Plus, frankly, the game seems to weigh randomization over the large/small tags. It might be about as misleading as it would be informative.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 18, 2017

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
One of the logistics things to take care of is that I have decided to stay on the safe side of things and not ship this with assets ripped from dom4. So I'm replacing the Dom4 flag, fort, and throne sprites with some hand made alternates. Haven't done the throne yet, but I did a mock-up with flags and forts to see how it looked:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 18, 2017

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Tight.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I thought dominions overlayed those sprites?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Someone might want to use the map editor for non-Dominion projects

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

tooterfish posted:

I thought dominions overlayed those sprites?

It does. This is purely for viewing within the generator; they don't get exported.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Thrones drawn, new sprites integrated:

Unfortunately I'm going to be a bit more busy in the next few days, so I wouldn't expect the beta before Sunday or Monday. Only one more code/UI step to go though.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Once this beta drops there are going to be several flavors of fun, new games going up. Oh yes indeed!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

Thrones drawn, new sprites integrated:

Unfortunately I'm going to be a bit more busy in the next few days, so I wouldn't expect the beta before Sunday or Monday. Only one more code/UI step to go though.

Illwinter need to see this and weep.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Tried tweaking a thing and it bugged out in a kinda amazing way:

I kind of like it (the cities, not the misplaced flags), though it doesn't seem quite right for an ancient-era game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If there was a tactical map of dense city streets it could be cool to show the population centers that have just grown denser and denser over the infinite cycle of the ascension wars, but it's probably too much.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

wiegieman posted:

If there was a tactical map of dense city streets it could be cool to show the population centers that have just grown denser and denser over the infinite cycle of the ascension wars, but it's probably too much.

dunno what ascension war you are in but in mine the end result is 8 dying peasants laying comatose upon the ashes of civilization

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Aiming for more distinct ford (crossable river) borders:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Decided that start locations weren't popping enough, so I added a generic flag topper:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

wiegieman posted:

This will be in That Which Sleeps / Star Citizen.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Got something for you guys.

https://corbeau.itch.io/cartographic-revision

Let me know if there's anything I should add to the page and/or if there's anything in the download that's wrong. It should all be in order though.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Can anyone point me to a helpful guide on good or standard end game strategies?

I just got dom4 and plan on jumping into a game or two. Played a few games of dom3 and enjoyed it, even did ok but always ended up wondering what to do in the end game with no real knowledge of what to aim for. Any help would be appreciated.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I just got dom4 and plan on jumping into a game or two. Played a few games of dom3 and enjoyed it, even did ok but always ended up wondering what to do in the end game with no real knowledge of what to aim for. Any help would be appreciated.

You've got two main options for very late game - arcane nexus + wish or vampires (plus astral corruption if possible).

You could also push through with the big buffs if you have enough troops - army of lead for example, but fog warriors especially.

Tartarian Gate is also good fun, but really needs Gift of Health to get something other than braindead meatwalls.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Pick Panheim or Vanheim and just make sacreds and then do blood.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
heres my guide to late game: crush your foes so utterly in the early game that you dont have to go past mid game becuase the game is loving rear end past midgame

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

violent sex idiot posted:

heres my guide to late game: crush your foes so utterly in the early game that you dont have to go past mid game becuase the game is loving rear end past midgame

This. This game is a battle of wills, the will to go on playing, if you crush early and mid game everyone will AI/stale late game and you de facto win.

(that's how I won my one game)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Rushing five thrones in two turns is also a good winning strategy.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yeah thrones in Dom4 make it so throne grabs before endgame are a thing and if you lose them you don't need to play the endgame because you're dead. In Dom3 you kind of had to engage the endgame, which pretty much meant Tartarians unless you were playing a modded game, but in Dom4 you have the choice of doubling down on a stronger midgame push.

In seriousness though there is no one endgame, endgame is throwing everything at the opponent in the right ways.

Nexus brings gem-income and using those gems is one way to fuel your wars, blood sacrifice can in some ways be uncounterable, vamps and the magic and dompush to support them is a kind of strategy, wish is kind of an endgame strategy but more of a precision tool to gently caress over specific other strategies, and each item that you can use on the battlefield (Fog Warriors, Master Enslave, Rain of Stones continued from midgame, many others) is another tool. Gift of Nature's Bounty is usable. Assassination globals are defensive tools. You definitely can use remote assassination spells like Earth Attack or disease demons. Elemental and Demonic Royalty are a thing. National summons especially mage-thug or mage-SC chassis.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mu. posted:

From looking @ the mod, it adds sites to the game that can spawn for anyone, one of which is a common cave site which allows the recruitment of the giant dudes. I don't know what the rest of these sites allow you to recruit but I'm tempted to just change them all to rare instead of common and call it a day.

Thoughts

Edit: oh it's worse than I thought. These units are actual megafuckers and a mage can summon one for free every turn. Pretty cool for a common level 1 site. I'll be examining each of these sites closely and nerfing them to death, brutally.

Replying to hilariously year-old post but I find this funny because that site is supposed to call cave crocodiles (and not that thing), but I must have overlooked it when I did a big reorganizing of the units and numbers.

I've been looking at Dominions again lately and maybe I'll even play a game or two and update that mod. I'd been doing Civ modding lately and this game came to mind for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
For those who want to use flat view in my map generator, I uploaded an update today fixing a pretty major bug in flat view.

• Locked thread