Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Get it before it gets taken down. MTV Movie Awards clip featuring Anthony Hopkins, a WW1 tank Transformer, and Hot Rod.

edit:
Better versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCujMv8muQ
http://www.superherohype.com/news/396619-transformers-the-last-knight-sneak-peek-from-the-mtv-movie-tv-awards#/slide/1

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Even in promo clips Optimus wants to murder us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZHJ6vrVvNA

And he keeps wrecking everything when casually meeting a fellow Cybertronian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZltN-ibTaQ

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Looking at some of the stuff coming out on Facebook, I'm really curious how they're going to reconcile the idea that the Transformers -- including Optimus and many others -- have been here for almost the whole timeline of human civilisation and, oh, any of the other films.

They won't.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 10, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2hRJtVc_ZU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This movie looks loving insane. I cannot wait

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Exactly what I was referencing!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So were they catapults and ballistas back then? I can't wait to find out.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

The MSJ posted:

Get it before it gets taken down. MTV Movie Awards clip featuring Anthony Hopkins, a WW1 tank Transformer, and Hot Rod.

edit:
Better versions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyCujMv8muQ
http://www.superherohype.com/news/396619-transformers-the-last-knight-sneak-peek-from-the-mtv-movie-tv-awards#/slide/1

I tried googling it but can't seem to find any info, is that Billy Connolly as the voice of Hot Rod or am I just hearing things?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nazikiller Bee

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Nazikiller Bee

Well they asked for a Volkswagen 'Bee. Nice butt-to-camera pose too.

More promo photos:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Transformers did Krakatoa, wake up sheeple!!

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
With their plans of moving into a greater transformers franchise similar to Marvel I hope they give us some medieval Japan and Europe transformers movies.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

I have to see this because it looks both dumb and cool.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So were they catapults and ballistas back then? I can't wait to find out.

horses dude, horses

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The MSJ posted:

More promo photos:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What the gently caress, internet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

their robot design has gotten real on point, i don't think i've seen a single one i've disliked for this movie

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
This movie looks so good

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At this point I want to think this is some sort of scam and there's no movie, just a series of disjointed trailers and promotional materials because no one on Earth can feasibly create a script that would justify whatever's going on here

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Calaveron posted:

At this point I want to think this is some sort of scam and there's no movie, just a series of disjointed trailers and promotional materials because no one on Earth can feasibly create a script that would justify whatever's going on here

Bay did say he and Spielberg merged two scripts they liked from the writer's room they have.

New trailer, and Bumblebee does something crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7cNNfjCyc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Bumblebee re-assembling is weird seeing as Megatron tearing Jazz apart in the first film was seemingly fatal. That being said who cares at all about consistency at this point.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
This is a movie where Prime is the villain and Megatron is apparently going to be a hero. Nothing matters, it's all the toys being smashed together time.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

Bumblebee re-assembling is weird seeing as Megatron tearing Jazz apart in the first film was seemingly fatal. That being said who cares at all about consistency at this point.

He has a hammer in this movie, and the story is apparently about finding an artifact that can restore Cybertron. In Transformers lore, the Forge of Solus Prime* is a hammer that can create new Cybertronian life. So 'Bee might have found that Forge and it made him indestructible as long as he has it. That's the theory people made based on the information we have so far.

*In Transformers lore, Solus Prime was one of the first thirteen Primus created and all who descended from Solus are the only Transformers who can create new life by themselves. They are typically known as "females".

Or maybe Stanley Tuccis company upgraded him.

New pictures:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 17, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The aspect ratio-shifts. The glorious, glorious aspect ratio-shifts.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

K. Waste posted:

FILMED WITH IMAX 3D CAMERAS!

poo poo is going to be four hours long and going to be nothing but dick and fart jokes interspersed between graphically violent setpieces and bizarre conspiratorial exposition. And I'm going to love every second.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Michael Bay like Tom Brady is the GOAT thanks to the Transformers franchise

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

K. Waste posted:

Is that good? Why?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

He has a hammer in this movie, and the story is apparently about finding an artifact that can restore Cybertron. In Transformers lore, the Forge of Solus Prime* is a hammer that can create new Cybertronian life. So 'Bee might have found that Forge and it made him indestructible as long as he has it. That's the theory people made based on the information we have so far.

*In Transformers lore, Solus Prime was one of the first thirteen Primus created and all who descended from Solus are the only Transformers who can create new life by themselves. They are typically known as "females".

Or maybe Stanley Tuccis company upgraded him.

Let me get this straight.
The current theory is that Bumblebee has become spiritually attuned to his feminine side through a religious artifact, and that this has made him indestructible?

That 1) kick rear end 2) is seriously on the nose, even for Bay's Transformer films.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

UmOk posted:

Is that good? Why?

I mean, I just like it, but if I had to argue in its aesthetic favor, I would say that its constant disruptive quality runs refreshingly counter to the conventional wisdom that such aesthetic changes should only be in response to blanket tonal changes or specific action set pieces. In Bay-verse, these are elitist aesthetic limitations that don't sufficiently communicate the violent and emotionally fraught political space of the subject. One must speculate that Bay has made these decisions based largely upon compositional concerns, forsaking the pretense of immersion and instead reveling in the constant changes themselves, and their consequent disruption. Even in its most morbid moments, the aesthetic suggestion is constantly of an arbitrary god, for whom the violence inflicted upon and by its subjects are part of a grand cosmic joke. (This is, after all, the same franchise about 'toys who are mean to other toys,' now steeped in both Arthurian and WWII mythology, an exceptionally trashy move to which even detractors of the franchise respond with some positivity.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the changing aspect ratios are interesting in light of the "every frame a painting" style of thought, where the each frame (or rather, each set of frames) is itself framed as most appropriate to it, rather than trying to frame the whole movie as a single unit.

This isn't saying it'll necessarily work well in practice. I just think it's interesting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's even better when you can use the switch as part of the movie. Catching Fire transitioned to IMAX as Katniss entered the game and it almost goes unnoticed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqYQEJXez_E

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The last Transformers movie also had the switching aspect ratios.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

GonSmithe posted:

The last Transformers movie also had the switching aspect ratios.

The Dark Knight and TDKR also had them, and Chris Nolan is an admitted fan of Michael Bay...

Yo can we get a movie written by Nolan and directed by Bay? It will have 5 different aspect ratios, be 5 hours long, and cost as much as the new Avengers movies are going to, but it will make every cent back and then some

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have Nolan write Bad Boys 3.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A Nolan / Bay joint operation would probably kill the cinema discusso crowd outright.

It'd also be the most character-actor filled movie ever made.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's even better when you can use the switch as part of the movie. Catching Fire transitioned to IMAX as Katniss entered the game and it almost goes unnoticed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqYQEJXez_E

I don't know that it's "better," per se. With that Hunger Games shot, it's not even just that the aspect ratio is changing in the cut (as occurs in Nolan and Bay's films), but that it actually widens progressively as the shot goes on. It's an unobtrusive, 'immersive' effect which calls attention away from the all the contrived elements at play (the movement of the shot, CGI, the rising of the set, in addition to the aspect ratio). In The Dark Knight Rises, you get an example of a harder cut to a wider aspect ratio in the first Bane fight, but, again, you get this complement from the cage locking behind Wayne https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVFi6Pb4Guw

Bay's style is basically anti-immersion. The abundant, constant changing in shot composition calls attention to the formal qualities of the film.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The MSJ posted:

More promo photos:

Man, these are in really poor taste...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Yaws posted:

Man, these are in really poor taste...

Show your work.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

This has gotta be US military teaming up with Megatron.

I'm really hoping we get...

MEGATRON: NO ONE SUMMONS MEGATRON!

LENNOX: Then it pleases me to be the first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

More promo photos:

These promo pictures are particularly funny to me.

See, a few years ago, there was a controversy in Australian schools about a history exam with a source analysis question that was basically the predecessor of this.

It was a question about Storming the Winter Palace by Nikolai Kochergin. However, the image had been sourced by someone who just grabbed it off the net without properly checking it, and so the image had a massive Battletech mech stomping around in the background.

quote:

The exam, which was sat by almost 6000 students, featured a doctored version of the artwork, in which a large robot - rather like BattleTech Marauder - appeared in the background of the artwork depicting events during the Russian Revolution.

History Teachers Association of Victoria acting executive officer Ingrid Purnell said it was disappointing the image had got through when teachers spent a lot of time making sure students critically examined and evaluated visual sources of evidence.

Ms Purnell said while some students didn't notice the robot, others wasted time trying to work it out.

''One student suggested it was a statue of Alexander Kerensky, head of the Mensheviks. Another student thought it was the battleship Aurora - it's clear several students were thrown by it.''

Yarra Valley Grammar student Shannon Dowling assumed she had not studied hard enough when she saw the robot. ''I went through a thought process something like this, 'What's that thing? It's definitely a robot. But it's on my history exam, so it's not a robot. But it can't be anything else. LOOK AT THOSE GUNS!' I stared at the image long and hard. It was extremely off-putting because you just don't expect there to be a mistake on your exam, especially one like that.''