Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
One of my favorite less-known stories, it’s not the spookiest thing in the thread but it’s interesting and some parts of it are fairly unsettling: The Collyer Brothers. The two of them were basically the original hoarders, but they took it really far.

The two brothers’ parents collected quite a lot of stuff / junk, so when they passed away it all went to the two brothers, who lived in a four story brownstone in Harlem. While most of it was random nicknacks, there was some valuable stuff - including all the parts needed to assemble an entire Ford Model T. When the great depression hit and the rich white people in Harlem started being replaced with poor black people, the brothers started getting scared of leaving their home and became more and more secluded with all their inherited junk. Rumors spread about the brothers, leading to neighborhood kids and teens harassing them, leading to them being even more secluded.

Eventually the older brother, Homer, lost his eyesight due to some hemorrhages in the backs of his eyes due to a stroke. If that wasn’t enough, he also became paralyzed due to rheumatism. The brothers’ father was a gynecologist and had tons of medical books that the brothers had inherited, so they decided that they were the best ones to deal with the affliction instead of taking Homer to an actual doctor. Langley, the younger brother, began collecting newspapers so that when Homer got his eyesight back, he could catch up with the world.

Despite having inherited quite a lot of money from their parents, the brothers refused to pay any bills. They became roughly self-sustaining, using the parts from the Model T to generate electricity and a small kerosene heater for warmth. Langley would care for his brother and read to him, and then would go out after midnight to get food from all over the city, and would gather water from nearby pumps.

Eventually, the bank began eviction procedures and sent a cleanup crew to retrieve the property. The brothers had become something of a local legend at this point, so when the workers came to force their way into the house, it drew quite a crowd of people interested in seeing inside the house. Rumors had spread that there were some great treasure buried deep in the house.

The police were summoned to help with the eviction process, and after breaking down the door it was finally revealed quite how bad the hoarding had got - they were met with a sheer wall of junk from the floor to the ceiling. Eventually they found Langely in a clearing he had made, and he wrote them a check for $6,700 (almost $100,000 nowadays) on the spot to pay off the mortgage all at once. He refused to let anyone see his brother Homer.

Oh yeah, haven’t mentioned Homer in a while. Because nobody had seen him in quite some time, more rumors spread about him. The police received numerous calls that one of the brothers had died, but Langley would never let anyone in. Eventually he gave way, and allowed the police to search the house. This is when the true extent of the hoarding really became known.

Worrying about burglars, Langley had arranged elaborate maze-like paths and tunnels - many of which were booby-trapped. Some were just there to alert the brothers of intruders, others were specifically designed to crush and suffocate anyone who triggered them. Homer and Langley would live in small nests and clearings in the junk, and only they knew the “safe” routes through the debris that was piled to the ceiling. The police found Homer curled up on a bed, still very much alive. He was unable to move due to his rheumatism, but seemed quite lucid - he berated the policemen and asserted he was very much alive.

Time went on, and the police received more and more calls of reports that the brothers had died. It became common practice that they’d knock on the door, and Langley would yell at them to prove that he was alive. However, after one report of a strange odor emanating from the building, nobody responded when the police came to check up. As all the entrances were blocked or barricaded (the entire first floor was completely filled with junk), the police were forced to break the second-floor windows in order to gain entrance.

After two hours of careful excavation and exploration to ensure no booby traps were triggered, police finally found Homer. He was dead. The autopsy had revealed that he had been dead for only around ten hours, and that he hadn’t had anything to eat or drink in three days - starvation was the official cause of death. Langley, however, was nowhere to be found. The police suspected that he might have been the one that submitted the anonymous tip, and so a search was held across nine whole states to try and find him. Officers were also posted at the house, in case he returned.

However, nothing could be found of Langley. Eventually the police began pursuing the possibility that Langley was still somewhere in the brownstone building. The police began excavating junk from the building, for three whole weeks. The amount of stuff in the house was truly unfathomable, and was estimated at weighing around 120 tons. Finally, Langley’s decaying body was discovered. He was buried in debris only ten feet away from where Homer had been found - he had tripped one of his own traps in a tunnel, and was crushed and suffocated while trying to bring Homer food. As Homer was unable to move, he could only sit there motionless as his brother suffocated. He then had no other choice but to wait there, alone, until he starved to death next to his brother’s rotting corpse.

I glossed over quite a few details, but the end always gets me. Ironically, their home was torn down and turned into a park, which is still there to this day. There’s a decent documentary about them up on youtube, if people want some more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81jV9D8FiFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If a severe mental illness wasn't required I would absolutely live in a giant maze of junk with booby trapped paths

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Apraxin posted:

Atlantic just put out a longform (and sadly posthumous) article by a Pulitzer winning-reporter on being raised in the US by his immigrant parents and also Lola, the slave they imported with them from the Philippines:
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/864609984570675202

Full-on tears-and-all pro-click

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

repeating posted:

Full-on tears-and-all pro-click

agreed, it's a rather unique mix of awful, intriguing, and heartwarming

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the jews

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Hittin' it hard fresh off a Secret Service visit

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/mommy-dead-and-dearest-doc-what-we-learned-w482263

HBO has a new documentary about the DeeDee Blancharde case called " Mommy Dead and Dearest".

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
The way DeeDee's family talks about her is amazing. Some burnt loving bridges there.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
drat thanks for the tip. Poor girl...

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Your Gay Uncle posted:

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/mommy-dead-and-dearest-doc-what-we-learned-w482263

HBO has a new documentary about the DeeDee Blancharde case called " Mommy Dead and Dearest".

I caught this one a few days ago. I thought the interview with Gypsy now that she's free of her mother's influence are just... Very striking. She could have been a completely normal and healthy human being but for her mother's insane interference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq1abIF2cPI

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I lived near Springfield at the time, but never heard any details about the murder beyond that some girl and her boyfriend killed her mom and posted about it on Facebook. I had no idea until now that this was such an infamous and immensely hosed up case. :psyduck:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This was a real pro-watch, thanks a ton for sharing it.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

Jeffrey Dahmer has a new favorite as of 09:49 on May 21, 2017

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is a hell of a thing. Thanks for recommending it, but also :stonk:.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Apraxin posted:

Atlantic just put out a longform (and sadly posthumous) article by a Pulitzer winning-reporter on being raised in the US by his immigrant parents and also Lola, the slave they imported with them from the Philippines:
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/864609984570675202

My heart was alternately broken and warmed by Lola. Everyone stop what you're doing and read this immediately.

Unless you don't have tissues to hand, in which case fetch some first.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Lady Demelza posted:

My heart was alternately broken and warmed by Lola. Everyone stop what you're doing and read this immediately.

Unless you don't have tissues to hand, in which case fetch some first.

Confirmed for feelings. Having to explain to my coworkers why I was suddenly crying.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, I've just found something a bit off putting if not in the same league as all of this, but someone has started adding a ludicrous amount of quotes from a certain Colin Wilson to a ridiculous number of wikiquote articles. Like the guy was simply an off beat British writer in the 60's, but the amount of time and effort that must have gone into making sure this crazy person gets more exposure on wikiquote is really weirding me out.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
One of the more depressing things I've come across recently, even in comparison to the Lola story and other stuff I've read here - an extended interview with a now-elderly anthropologist, reflecting on how decades ago he abandoned the then-conventional wisdom on native first contact, which focused on threats of violence, and helped bring some of the last 'uncivilized' tribes in India into the national fold through patience and dedicated cultural understanding. How he came to respect this tribal people, so different from himself in every way.

And also how he partially regrets the whole venture, how he sees that he brought nothing but cultural ruin to the people he befriended:

quote:

Mr. Pandit has followed these developments from the hushed apartment in New Delhi where he lives with the third of his four daughters. It is nearly impossible for him to discuss his work in the Andaman Islands without thinking of his wife, Roshi, who died in 2015. Roshi would sit with him and endlessly discuss the tribes. His loss remains so painful that he has tried to train his mind not to dwell on it. He struggles, he says, to come to terms with the fleeting quality of human experience.

“Nothing is permanent,” he said. “What has gone on in the past looks like having been a dream.” In the end, Mr. Pandit agrees that the Jarawa were hurt by putting down their bows and arrows.

“The negative impact of close contact is inescapable, but it is sad,” he said. “What an amazing community, but it has been diluted in its outlook, its self-confidence, its sense of purpose, its sense of survival. Now they take it easy. They beg for things.”

This was not a surprise. He understood that his work would expose the tribes to the outside, with its dazzling technology, and that they would submit avidly. His aim, he said, was to control the process, to slow it as much as possible, so that they understood the value of what they were leaving behind. “In the course of time, these communities will disappear,” he said. “Their cultures will be lost.”

Mr. Pandit last traveled to Jarawa territory in 2014, on a visit to a daughter in Port Blair. Since then, he has become more physically fragile and doubts he will make the journey again. He is left with the photographs — square black-and-whites from the 1970s, faded color from the 1980s — and with his thoughts. “I see them sometimes in my dreams,” he said. “Just being with them and spending a little time. Not too long. Not frequently. Just once in a while.” And on those mornings, he said, he wakes up happy.

Apraxin has a new favorite as of 06:26 on May 22, 2017

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Here's a nice one for those US goons with fundie links/experience.

The Quiverfull movement is a fundamentalist Christian movement which is basically a super-authoritarian breeding system for building large families. I think there is/was a reality show on the Duggar family which is in this movement.

Here is a intelligent and informative interview with a woman who was raised in the movement but has now left. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WQy4LGUQRg

If someone squeals about American society being a brutal patriarchy, send them this link.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

If someone squeals about American society being a brutal patriarchy, send them this link.

What a weird comment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

What a weird comment.

Maybe it's a "it could be worse if it was literally a brutal patriarchy" sort of thing? I don't know, I'm not too clear on it either.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

A Pinball Wizard posted:

What a weird comment.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe it's a "it could be worse if it was literally a brutal patriarchy" sort of thing? I don't know, I'm not too clear on it either.

I think the implication was "if people get upset if you say that the US is a brutal patriarchy, show them this thing so they see that they're wrong to get upset because this poo poo is happening for real".

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
So, "sexism no longer exists and to prove it here's a group of literal male chauvinists active and recruiting in the US in the year of our Lord 2017?"

That's what I thought too. Weird comment.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

citybeatnik posted:

I think the implication was "if people get upset if you say that the US is a brutal patriarchy, show them this thing so they see that they're wrong to get upset because this poo poo is happening for real".

That's the only interpretation that makes the slightest bit of sense to me. Maybe Josef K Sourdust isn't aware of "squeal" as a synonym for "snitch" and meant it in an onomatopoeia way (i.e. shriek)

edit: wait no that doesn't make sense either

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

A Pinball Wizard posted:

So, "sexism no longer exists and to prove it here's a group of literal male chauvinists active and recruiting in the US in the year of our Lord 2017?"

That's what I thought too. Weird comment.

that's the opposite of what he just said you clod

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Patriarch spotted.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I read it as "if somebody complains about the U.S. being a disgusting patriarchy, shut them up with this, because it could be so much worse!"

I hope I'm wrong

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

girl pants posted:

I read it as "if somebody complains about the U.S. being a disgusting patriarchy, shut them up with this, because it could be so much worse!"

I hope I'm wrong

Actually I think you're right.

Ugh.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
"Squeal" was also a particular choice of word and doesn't inspire confidence in a potential clarifying follow up.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe it's a "it could be worse if it was literally a brutal patriarchy" sort of thing?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"Don't try to improve because here's something that's worse"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

people gave you so many outs and you chose the worst one, congrats

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The unnerving story is coming from within the thread.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah can you gently caress off m8.

Back to that attachment therapy girl: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candace_Newmaker
This makes me so so sad because a) I'm a child of '89 too and for whatever reason that's enough to feel a 'team' bond with her. Like one of ours got tortured. and b) as somebody studying to be a psychologist/psychiatrist reading about attachment therapy freaks me out. there are so many ways psychological techniques can be damaging.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yo dipshit where the gently caress you think those Quiverfull people are from??

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

The whole "If you think x is bad, take a look at y" thing doesn't work when y is part of x

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Punch yourself square in the dick

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Esquire has a story about a father who spent 20 years in prison for molesting his kids before he was exonerated, eventually winning $9 million in a civil case from the investigator and her supervisor. One highlight is that his then-girlfriend who initially reported the allegations turned out to be romantically involved with the investigator's supervisor, later moving in with him after the trial.

E: I should say that while his ex-gf being romantically involved with the supervisory investigator during the trial is shady as hell, I don't think there's any evidence she made up the allegations or did anything wrong. It seems like she truthfully reported statements made by the kids that concerned her, and it was the overzealous investigators who decided those statements were evidence of real crimes and then manipulated the kids into lying about being abused to guarantee a conviction. You can't really blame his ex-wife either (different person from the ex-gf just mentioned) for going along with the investigators, they're supposed to be the professionals after all.

Alereon has a new favorite as of 18:53 on May 24, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alereon posted:

Esquire has a story about a father who spent 20 years in prison for molesting his kids before he was exonerated, eventually winning $9 million in a civil case from the investigator and her supervisor. One highlight is that his then-girlfriend who initially reported the allegations turned out to be romantically involved with the investigator's supervisor, later moving in with him after the trial.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Pfffft. Look at those former quiverpussies whinning about their dumb bitch made cult.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_(Australian_New_Age_group)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Solar_Temple
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_International

:smuggo: