Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is nzb.bs still working well? I'm about to the end of my dog sub, and don't want to buy another tshirt or use bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Slash posted:

I thought this was due to DMCA takedown notices. The watchdogs have had a chance to get the older stuff taken down, but not the newer stuff. So availability on newer stuff if much higher.

Elaborating on this. A lot of the up loaders actually cipher the names of their content now. If you've noticed that you're downloading files named poo poo like 3498qu8sadfk19ejfj10 It's because your indexer was either given or figured out how to parse the cipher. Some are simple ROT13 and a few are really elaborate. The DMCA watchdogs likely don't have the ciphers for some of them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So I got fed up with both Meteor and PlexRequests constantly loving themselves up after updates. I went with Ombi instead, much better interface and way more config options. The only real issue was adding a custom firewall rule in Windows due to its use of HttpListener but beyond that its fantastic. Just FYI it defaults to auto-approve requests so make sure to change the user permissions and options. It listens on 3579 by default too.

vivica
Feb 22, 2005

Hughlander posted:

I recently did this and can say "yes". Though I didn't try out medusa. I sperged a bit and redid almost my entire setup that was already docker containers. Added jackett and hydra. Dropped cp sick and sabnzbd for radarr sonarr and nzbget. Picked up lazylibrarian again now that there's a fork with calibre support. Even got 2 new 1tb block accounts. Things so much smoother.

Can you please link to that lazylibrarian fork?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

vivica posted:

Can you please link to that lazylibrarian fork?

https://github.com/DobyTang/LazyLibrarian lots of active development.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, he's really churning stuff out. Though, I'm always nervous about projects that seem to only have one person making commits...

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I feel like I already know the answer to this and am an idiot for asking, but whatever might as well - on my headless Mac Mini I've been running everything while logged in under an admin account. Probably not the best idea for something that's turned on all the time, no? And assuming I move to a standard/non-admin account, would moving all my settings from the admin account to the new one create significant issues/should I start all over setting up the various pieces (NZBGet, Sonarr, Radarr, etc)?

e: eh, fuckit, I see pretty much everything has a built-in backup and restore mechanism so I'll go ahead and rebuild.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 24, 2017

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Finally ate through the last of my newsgroupdirect bandwidth.

Anyone know of any good deals on for decent providers?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Megaspel posted:

Finally ate through the last of my newsgroupdirect bandwidth.

Anyone know of any good deals on for decent providers?

What are people typically spending a month for Usenet? I'm paying $19 for an old Giganews account with 50 connection and unlimited access, but I see everyone else with fallback accounts, multiple providers, etc.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Violator posted:

What are people typically spending a month for Usenet? I'm paying $19 for an old Giganews account with 50 connection and unlimited access, but I see everyone else with fallback accounts, multiple providers, etc.

I determined that my usage pattern made more sense for me to use block plans instead of 'unlimited'. Even with multiple block accounts, my cost is probably <$10/month. Of course, there's an initial investment where you buy $50 here, $20 there, etc., but I'm always surprised when I check and see that I have quite a bit left on each account.

I try to time my purchases to center around Black Friday/Cyber Monday, when many of the Usenet block accounts go on mega sale.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Violator posted:

$5.50 on newsgroupdirect - got a sweet offer I couldn't refuse.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

$50 per year for a Frugal Usenet account. That's it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
$40/yr for FrugalUsenet if you snag it during the Black Friday sales. Plus topping off Blocknews and Usenet.farm as needed. I've mostly stuck with Frugal and Farm, because Farm is cheaper per GB than Blocknews. I also had a small Tweaknews block as a last-priority backup, but never renewed after it ran out because I haven't had anything fail with the other 3 set up. I doubt I spend over $6/month all together, and I've got 3TB available on Farm, so it'll be a while before I add to that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
$4 a month on MaximumUsenet (Highwinds).

Unlimited, 20 connections, SSL, etc. I have a free Xenna account that's capped at 1MB that I use as a fill.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh just realized that both my primary unlimited provider and my backup block provider are both on Highwinds. Guess I need something on Giganews. What's a good block provider for Giganews? Any other providers I should get accounts with? Reddit lists Altopia and UsenetExpress as providers with US entry points (I'm in the US) should I consider getting block accounts with them as well?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeesh, I need to start paying attention for usenet deals around Black Friday... :negative:

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
Hiya thread, I'm brainstorming for an article about OLD Usenet. Like, 1980-1995 Usenet, not the filesharing it's mostly relegated to today. I was wondering if anyone here has stories about Usenet, shareable experiences, or remembers any cool stuff that happened back in those early years of digital communication.

I know this thread is for the modern Usenet, but I figured it'd be the best place to ask. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, let me know.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Usenet was always great for drama and Derek Smart supplied a ton of it back in the days where people actually interacted on it. You can google Derek Smart usenet wars and still find a bunch of stuff archived even.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
X files and Star Trek TNG newsgroups are fairly interesting.

Music newsgroups are also good for some fun. Mike Oldfield was a fun one to follow back in the day.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GutBomb posted:

X files and Star Trek TNG newsgroups are fairly interesting.

Music newsgroups are also good for some fun. Mike Oldfield was a fun one to follow back in the day.

Rewatching X-Files and keeping up with that week's posts is actually sort of fun. You can read fan theories as they happen and getting mad about the "will-they-won't-they" dynamic Mulder and Scully have. The writers of the show kept close tabs on the newsgroups to judge reactions. I highly recommend it. Google Groups does a decent job of organizing it and with threads.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think you can find old archived messages of people reacting to the Berlin Wall coming down.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you've seen the weird as hell documentary "Tickled" there's some stuff about Usenet in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOBXuCYB4jQ

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

UWBW posted:

Hiya thread, I'm brainstorming for an article about OLD Usenet. Like, 1980-1995 Usenet, not the filesharing it's mostly relegated to today. I was wondering if anyone here has stories about Usenet, shareable experiences, or remembers any cool stuff that happened back in those early years of digital communication.

I know this thread is for the modern Usenet, but I figured it'd be the best place to ask. If I'm barking up the wrong tree, let me know.

Alt.Coffee was the place to be - we even made t-shirts.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a comprehensive guide to get a usenet setup? Walks through hardware options, which software to use, and how to set it up? For someone who doesn't know how to use linux, a lot of the options seem limited.

I already have a setup, but my friend has to do most of the complicated stuff. He also has it setup so that my HTPC is also the server running plex, sonarr, cp, etc. in ubuntu. I feel sort of constrained in my viewing options with a linux front end though, so I'm thinking of installing Windows on it and moving the services over to FreeNAS since I know they can run on that. He just doesn't like his setup having them on the NAS so he didn't set mine up that way.

I want to get Hydra and Radarr going. I also wonder if switching to nzbget would be better, but I don't think I know enough to just swap services like that.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

UWBW posted:

As a kid I thought I was some kind of loving budding spymaster because people on usenet would post puzzles or riddles then cypher the answer in ROT13. Early Usenet was very very unfiltered. The closest thing I could relate it to nowadays is 4chan's /pol/ board. All that old school tech was full of poo poo posters and fuckups, it's just that has a somewhat naive luster all over it because they would still follow bizarre protocols that the format dictated. The "endless September" rant was basically crying about Usenet transitioning from an exclusive means for Higher Education to collaborate to shitposting central.

I mean there is a loving thread archived forever of me asking whether it was better to masturbate standing up or sitting in a chair. Also if you're sitting in a chair how do the gays put a finger up their butt when masturbating as well?

Ah to be going through puberty again :allears:

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo

:stare:

I'm... not gonna search for that, thanks.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a comprehensive guide to get a usenet setup? Walks through hardware options, which software to use, and how to set it up? For someone who doesn't know how to use linux, a lot of the options seem limited.

I already have a setup, but my friend has to do most of the complicated stuff. He also has it setup so that my HTPC is also the server running plex, sonarr, cp, etc. in ubuntu. I feel sort of constrained in my viewing options with a linux front end though, so I'm thinking of installing Windows on it and moving the services over to FreeNAS since I know they can run on that. He just doesn't like his setup having them on the NAS so he didn't set mine up that way.

I want to get Hydra and Radarr going. I also wonder if switching to nzbget would be better, but I don't think I know enough to just swap services like that.

I run everything on windows and it does fine. Linux is not needed. Your windows HTPC could do all the services if you wanted.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 4, 2017

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

hell yeah

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
This might be outside the scope of this thread, but I'm hoping someone can give me an answer. Most of my shows downloaded through Sonarr are downloaded via bittorrent. When a show is finished downloading, a copy of the file is renamed and moved to a show folder, while the original stays in the download folder for seeding purposes. Where it gets weird is if I try to delete the episode in the show folder (NOT the file that is being seeded), Windows will tell me that the file is locked by qBittorrent and can't be delete. Once I remove the file from qBittorrent, then I can delete the file in the show folder. My question is why/how is qBittorrent locking the file when it's not the actual file being seeded?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I just want to say "gently caress you" to the tvdb for making the Sense8 Xmas special S02E01. E00 dammmmit.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

porktree posted:

I just want to say "gently caress you" to the tvdb for making the Sense8 Xmas special S02E01. E00 dammmmit.

It's listed that way on Wikipedia too. I'm guessing it's considered part of season 2 internally at Netflix, so I don't think you can really blame TVDB for that.

edit: yeah it's even listed as season 2 on Netflix.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This might be outside the scope of this thread, but I'm hoping someone can give me an answer. Most of my shows downloaded through Sonarr are downloaded via bittorrent. When a show is finished downloading, a copy of the file is renamed and moved to a show folder, while the original stays in the download folder for seeding purposes. Where it gets weird is if I try to delete the episode in the show folder (NOT the file that is being seeded), Windows will tell me that the file is locked by qBittorrent and can't be delete. Once I remove the file from qBittorrent, then I can delete the file in the show folder. My question is why/how is qBittorrent locking the file when it's not the actual file being seeded?

Sounds like you're hard linking rather than copying. The Windows implementation is retarded and locks you from deleting a link if the file is in use regardless of path.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Keito posted:

Sounds like you're hard linking rather than copying. The Windows implementation is retarded and locks you from deleting a link if the file is in use regardless of path.

I considered that, but deleting the original file doesn't delete the copied file.

edit: nevermind, you are right. Sonarr has an option to use hardlinks instead of copying. I'll turn that off and see if things work correctly from now on.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I considered that, but deleting the original file doesn't delete the copied file.

Yes, that is how hard links work. There isn't really an "original file" since all hard links are equally valid references to the same file. As long as there's a link pointing to the file it won't be "deleted".

The retarded thing is that Windows won't let you remove a link to a file that's in use from some other path.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

edit: nevermind, you are right. Sonarr has an option to use hardlinks instead of copying. I'll turn that off and see if things work correctly from now on.

Note that this does mean that you'll be actually making a copy, with the doubled disk consumption and extra I/O activity that comes with it, where the hard link was effectively free.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone with gigabit want to share their provider and their speeds? I'm only using 10 of my 20 astraweb connections right now so should probably open it all up first, but max I've seen on this new connection is about 12MB/s. Usually only around 6MB/s though.

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

with supernews i get upwards of 33MB/s down -- it averages around 25MB/s on most downloads. Astraweb was a little slower but had 10 fewer connections.

I switched from Astra to SN because of the speed difference when i got GB internet.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My Cat trial is up. Is it worth going with Cat, Dog, or someone else since I'll probably need to "donate".

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

My Cat trial is up. Is it worth going with Cat, Dog, or someone else since I'll probably need to "donate".

Probably Cat. Dog has a cockamamie way to donate and not worth your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's listed that way on Wikipedia too. I'm guessing it's considered part of season 2 internally at Netflix, so I don't think you can really blame TVDB for that.

I'm of the belief you can blame TVDB people for absolutely everything. I had absolutely zero surprise they locked up the OITNB s5 listing when I looked the other day.

UWBW posted:

These tweets were fun, from a 'current at the time' arguement in the UK usenet. For what it's worth, I like Stuart Campbell but I can understand why others loathe him.

https://twitter.com/Paul_Barnard/status/859381279242018817

https://twitter.com/Paul_Barnard/status/859381291560693760

The articles layout is horrendous though.