Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Jerusalem posted:

The company/money was made when Doc Ock was occupying his body right? I choose to believe with all my heart that Peter just has no idea how to run "his" company and is bumbling his way along while his board of directors keeps everything going in spite of him :shobon:

What would Newspaper Superior Spider-Man be like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Like regular NSM, confusing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Doc Ock knocks Spidey over with a golden brick and assumes him dead. MJ keeps him at, idk, Doctor Strange's place until he can heal. In the meantime, Ock has put on a holographic doohickey to pretend he is Spider-man and opens up a computer repair store under Spidey's name, earns 100 and then gets beaten up by the real Spider-man who now owns this store. Every single strip of this six-month storyline must contain a panel of Peter sleeping while MJ, Strange and/or Wong watch over him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they'd probably just body swap the two so peter's stuck as being the one thing worse than dead: doc ock

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think Superior Newspaper Spider-Man would be the same except stories would resolve faster. Blazingly fast, like in one week. And it would feel wrong and people would clamour for the return of the one, true hero.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Instead of Doc Ock, NSM's "Superior" Spider-Man will be J Jonah Jameson.
Naturally he will never think to unmask himself while in Pete's body but set out stalking JJ's body to figure out who Spider-Man really is.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I just want Newspaper Spider Man to revive Monster Ock :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just go talk to her you horrible goon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I never figured MJ was a PALS Magazine type.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I never figured MJ was a PALS Magazine type.

She just wants a pet badly to keep her company when Peter is out web-swinging and brick-slamming.

Or maybe she just loves PAL TV.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Lergnom.

(this is probably way way way back in NSM's history. I havent seen Lergnom appear anytime in the last decade so they probably forgot he existed. :( )

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Doc Ock knocks Spidey over with a golden brick and assumes him dead. MJ keeps him at, idk, Doctor Strange's place until he can heal. In the meantime, Ock has put on a holographic doohickey to pretend he is Spider-man and opens up a computer repair store under Spidey's name, earns 100 and then gets beaten up by the real Spider-man who now owns this store. Every single strip of this six-month storyline must contain a panel of Peter sleeping while MJ, Strange and/or Wong watch over him.

They also provide dial-up internet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ferrule posted:

Yes. And the company is currently crumbling.

He'll be back to being a poor loser soon/.

:neckbeard:

I'm sorry Pete, I just want you in the gutter where you belong v:shobon:v

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Peter stop yelling at protesters!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

I personally thought Peter as a science teacher at a public school was the best possible status quo for him. No prestige there, not the best of salaries, but it's a reliable source of income, an "adult" kind of job and it feels like he's making a difference in the world. Pete's just never going to be a teenager again no matter how much Joe Q. wants him to, so he should be an adult we can relate to. Not some kinda embarrassing unemployed manchild or jet-setting billionaire.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I personally thought Peter as a science teacher at a public school was the best possible status quo for him. No prestige there, not the best of salaries, but it's a reliable source of income, an "adult" kind of job and it feels like he's making a difference in the world. Pete's just never going to be a teenager again no matter how much Joe Q. wants him to, so he should be an adult we can relate to. Not some kinda embarrassing unemployed manchild or jet-setting billionaire.

Honestly, I think the best job Peter ever had was also as a teacher, but for the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, with the more troubled students. He seemed to be in his element, teaching kids lessons, but also how to be better people, and also still going on adventures. Spider-Man and the X-Men was really, really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

Honestly, I think the best job Peter ever had was also as a teacher, but for the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning, with the more troubled students. He seemed to be in his element, teaching kids lessons, but also how to be better people, and also still going on adventures. Spider-Man and the X-Men was really, really good.

That is really fun, but it's more of a Spider-man thing than a Peter thing. It's not quite grounded enough to balance out the heroics, you know?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I too, as a human being, sometimes have troubles, beep boop.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

All joking aside I absolutely agree. He shouldn't be bestriding the world like a colossus in his civilian life, he should just be doing an important if largely "ordinary" job that actually does make some measurable difference in the lives of the students who he teaches.

Making him a world famous multi-millionaire CEO just misses a lot of the point of the character to me - he's a guy who goes out there and tries his best to help people whether he's Peter Parker or Spider-Man.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

All joking aside I absolutely agree. He shouldn't be bestriding the world like a colossus in his civilian life, he should just be doing an important if largely "ordinary" job that actually does make some measurable difference in the lives of the students who he teaches.

Making him a world famous multi-millionaire CEO just misses a lot of the point of the character to me - he's a guy who goes out there and tries his best to help people whether he's Peter Parker or Spider-Man.

It felt like he was becoming a reverse Tony Stark. Hero becomes captain of industry instead of the opposite.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he works the same way iron man used to work: civilian identity runs the business and the super hero identity pretends to be their bodyguard to explain why they're together

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how mole man is walking around with the attitude of the juggernaut and the powers of a stumpy old man with a stick

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mole Man reminds me of this troll from Real Ghostbusters.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like how mole man is walking around with the attitude of the juggernaut and the powers of a stumpy old man with a stick

To be fair, that basically makes him the Juggernaut's equal in this universe.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I only ever saw a few panels of Peter Parker as a public school teacher years ago, but they stayed with me as an ideal for the character. He's a dorky guy who wants to help! Of course he'd leave photojournalism for teaching!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Doc Hawkins posted:

I only ever saw a few panels of Peter Parker as a public school teacher years ago, but they stayed with me as an ideal for the character. He's a dorky guy who wants to help! Of course he'd leave photojournalism for teaching!

Any job where Peter has to keep to a rigid schedule and has any real responsibility is the worst possible choice for him. Being a teacher provided fun stories at times but it never made sense to me why he would ever think that was a good idea in any way because it definitely wasn't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X-O posted:

Any job where Peter has to keep to a rigid schedule and has any real responsibility is the worst possible choice for him. Being a teacher provided fun stories at times but it never made sense to me why he would ever think that was a good idea in any way because it definitely wasn't.

It makes as much sense as any job does. If you have to ask how the timing works out it's basically the same as any hero with a job and for Spider-Man "a job with real responsibility' is absolutely the best choice for the dude who doesn't shut up about power and the responsibility it carries.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If Clark Kent can hold a job I don't see why Peter can't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Clark Kent has super speed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Clark Kent has super speed

He also spends hours of his life in space and poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's a reporter, isn't he? he has an excuse not to be in the office built into the job description

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Peter should just be a photographer. Freelance for AP or whatever. Turn up to a few red carpets and get the best vantage points. Become the ultimate spider-pap.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

X-O posted:

Okay, substitute teacher.

...kid-friendly youtube scientist?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Peter is a photographer and his wife is a model and all her friends are models. If only there were some way these skills could mesh together.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Peter gets on Etsy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Peter is a photographer and his wife is a model and all her friends are models. If only there were some way these skills could mesh together.

Peter becomes a model?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peter could run a repair shop. Keeps him tinkering rather than Tony Stark-style inventing, makes the community a supporting cast, and leaves him with time and cover to be gone when he wants assuming he has partners or employees to run the shop in his stead. And it means he gets decent money rather than playboy riches or hobo destitution. May could be the cashier. Or Hobie Brown could be his business partner. You could even include a retcon and say Uncle Ben used to run one (before he was an electrician or whatever his job was...?) And there'd be all kinds of interesting comic book science stuff for him to solve. Like people's refrigerators are floating because of some recent supervillain in the area who :techno: discharged focused gravitons :techno: or whatever.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Peter becomes a model?

Well, we have seen the man's abs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SilverSupernova posted:

Well, we have seen the man's abs.

"His buttocks are sublime."

Also, check out the dude on the left being the original White Guy Blinking meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

"His buttocks are sublime."

Also, check out the dude on the left being the original White Guy Blinking meme.

I never got why that blinking guy became a meme, it's just a guy blinking.

• Locked thread