Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can't do Yakuza in long stretches like other games. The CONSTANT back and forth between areas and incessant loading screens are such awful game design BUT the story line acting and voice work are leagues ahead of most games and that's what keeps me coming back. Genuinely the funniest games I've ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Please look forward to no loading times in yakuza 6 and the game running at less than half the framerate as a result

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Snak posted:

Wait, wiimotes work on ps4?

yeah you can put them on the ps4 (i recommend something not-permanent, like tape), and you can tilt the PS4 to play games on the wii/u

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I liked walking around in Yakuza because almost always some weird substory would pop up and I'd get distracted for long periods lol. The business stuff was maybe a little too much of that but it was optional and I enjoyed it anyway.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PenguinKnight posted:

yeah you can put them on the ps4 (i recommend something not-permanent, like tape), and you can tilt the PS4 to play games on the wii/u

It doesn't take much. All I had to do was elevate the back-left corner with a bottlecap.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PenguinKnight posted:

What

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Snak posted:

Wait, wiimotes work on ps4?

It was from a view pages ago. wii remotes will work on the ps4 :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

:v:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

If you still care about the new South Park game it's out October 17th

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fit em all up in there posted:

If you still care about the new South Park game it's out October 17th

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'll give Horizon credit for one thing, it's really good at making enemy encounters threatening even with decent equipment. Once I got past the mid-valley Carja checkpoint I've been nope'ing the gently caress away from robots more often than not.

Even basic baddies like the Watchers never become totally trivial, because they're incredibly aggressive drop-kicking flash-bombing little shits who alert every other machine within a half-mile radius.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Oxxidation posted:

I'll give Horizon credit for one thing, it's really good at making enemy encounters threatening even with decent equipment. Once I got past the mid-valley Carja checkpoint I've been nope'ing the gently caress away from robots more often than not.

Even basic baddies like the Watchers never become totally trivial, because they're incredibly aggressive drop-kicking flash-bombing little shits who alert every other machine within a half-mile radius.
I made it my goal to fight every Thunderjaw, aligator, and giant underground worm once I hit mid Carja. Purple Hunters Bow with 3x Dmg mods, Second Hunters Bow with 3x Fire Mods, Sharpshooter bow with tear mods to open with Tearblasts, and Ropecaster makes everyone your bitch.

But gently caress those Bird pieces of poo poo. I would just nope away from them if possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Xaris posted:

I made it my goal to fight every Thunderjaw, aligator, and giant underground worm once I hit mid Carja. Purple Hunters Bow with 3x Dmg mods, Second Hunters Bow with 3x Fire Mods, Sharpshooter bow with tear mods to open with Tearblasts, and Ropecaster makes everyone your bitch.

But gently caress those Bird pieces of poo poo. I would just nope away from them if possible.

Just get a bomb sling and win.

Actually most of my time was sneaking in and taking over the biggest thing in the area and relaxing.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 17, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Fuzz posted:

Wait, HZD has bad voice acting? What the gently caress do you define as good in a video game, because while it's not bonkers amazing like TLOU, it's still pretty drat great for the main characters and most of the side ones. The jittery animations here and there are creepy and weird, but DXHR had that, too, and it also had pretty respectable VA.

I didn't like most of the side-quest givers. On the other hand, I like Aloy's VA and most of the main-path actors quite a bit as well as some of the side quest givers. I could listen to Lance Reddick for days. The bad voice acting game is not at all representative of the game as a whole at all but it's still there and presented fairly early, which is unfortunate.

Xaris posted:

Rope cast them down or corrupt them. If you are a good shot, you can break open their ice sacks pretty quick too. They're definitely a pain though and compared to most of the other bots, they are not fun to fight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Glinthawks aren't hard once you have Concentration (slow time while aiming).

Stormbirds are another story, they're just the worst.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Taking down a Stormbird for the first time felt great. Ropecaster, freeze, precision shots. Rinse and repeat

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Stormbirds can one-hit kill you on Very Hard if you don't use resist potions. I discovered way too late that you can have both freeze/lightning effects active at the same time. Lots of tearblast arrows when it's in the air, spam the ropecaster when it gets on the ground, then blast away with the sling.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I know a few people that never bothered to try the sling that shoots bombs. Maybe it doesn't sound real good when everything else is doing cool status stuff.

The sling with bombs is really really good.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bombadilillo posted:

I know a few people that never bothered to try the sling that shoots bombs. Maybe it doesn't sound real good when everything else is doing cool status stuff.

The sling with bombs is really really good.

The sling that shoots elemental bombs is really good and was my go-to method for freezing things. The one that slings regular bombs is really good against certain enemies, especially weaker ones that are bunched up. However, if you're upclose to a frozen downed Stormbird or something similar that has already had its armor tearblasted off, the rattler does crazy damage.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I never bothered with the rattler on my playthrough actually. Totally forgot it even existed

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How is the map layout in Dark Souls 3? Is it more like Dark Souls 1 or is it like Dark Souls 2 where there is more of a hub layout?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's more like Bloodborne.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Snak posted:

Pretty drat accurate.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Snak posted:

That's pretty much like Dark Souls 1 where areas typically are interconnected instead of their being 5 separate paths that each dead end. Cool. I may have to pick it up once I finally finish Dark Souls 2.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

That's pretty much like Dark Souls 1 where areas typically are interconnected instead of their being 5 separate paths that each dead end. Cool. I may have to pick it up once I finally finish Dark Souls 2.

Its linear and you can warp early in the game so interconnection between areas is minimal.

Areas themselves arent necessarily linear though.

Like bloodborne.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the main path is entirely linear in dark souls 3 in the same way it is in bloodborne. there's exploring and you can find hidden areas and shortcuts, but the areas aren't all interconnected and you can't do stuff like opening the back door to blight town and ring the second bell first. when you beat a main area, it just leads to the next main area

e: bloodborne might actually do more of that stuff than dark souls 3 now that I think about it. like the gaol leads into the grand cathedral and old yharnam

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 17, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But like BB and unlike ds2, you can see areas from other areas. There's places where you can see like half the game world.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DS3 definitely forks at a couple parts tho, like at Crucifixion Woods and Irithyll.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it kinda does but the woods has one path lead into a dead end area (the cathedral) and another that has more main areas beyond it. pretty different from like firelink shrine or w/e

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DS3 has a really dumb way of stopping you sequence break past a certain point.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DS3 is good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bloodborne is good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Demon's Souls is good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DS2 is 'good'

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I'm afraid your credibility on this matter is suspect

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Why? Because of my videogame av, or my poo poo-tier posts, or my terrible demeanor, or my tiny e-penis?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

But like BB and unlike ds2, you can see areas from other areas. There's places where you can see like half the game world.

Yeah. It's like 75% Bloodborne with a bit of dark souls 1. It's not as loopy as dark souls 1 but it's physically put together similarly with being able to see previous and later areas all the time.

So yeah Bloodborne pretty much I guess. And like Bloodborne there is many hours of optional content if you go off the beaten path.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I say, Play Games You Don't Like, and Don't Play Games You Like. Makes for more entertaining posts

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Why? Because of my videogame av, or my poo poo-tier posts, or my terrible demeanor, or my tiny e-penis?

one, and only one, of those, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

His regular penis is tiny too I gave him an handy once for free Dewritos codes.