Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

bethesda posted:

A perfect example of this humor can be found in a lowly device called the Reployer. Designed by an artist at Arkane, the Reployer started appearing on desks and in offices throughout Talos I – but no one could tell anyone what exactly it did. Was it a printer? A space-age fax machine? A photocopier? Again and again in team meetings, someone would inevitably ask about it, and no one would have an answer.

“We almost cut this from the game three times,” Colantonio says. “I even had a few ‘fights’ with [Lead Visual Designer] Manu [Petit], telling him I never want to see that thing again – until we eventually turned it into a joke and said, ‘What if no one aboard the space station knows what that object is? Let’s give it an obscure name like Reployer and let’s have people talk about it in emails.’”

Crafting the story of Prey

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
You feed in a spool of wire and it makes paperclips on demand.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They're the third tier of mimic. All of them.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They're just really really chill.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

On the other hand this is my favorite background plot in the game, because the end result is that the engineer tells the woman to meet him in the only functional pod in the event of a disaster, and she does. You can either fix the hatch and free them, or fire the pod without fixing it and kill them. If you kill them, you can find their corpses and it turns out he brought wine and she brought a goddamn stun gun. That got a good laugh out of me.

That's amazing, these devs think of everything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Psycho-shock is so incredibly broken. Even Nightmares can't do poo poo to you after you hit them with it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

I highly recommend Mobility 2, it makes the movement feel like Doom. Even better with Stealth 3 so you can sprint up to an unaware enemy.

High five fellow shotgun enthusiast.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So while you're in the Life Support area, you can drop by into Atmosphere Control and repair some fans and then purify the air. Nobody comments on this and there's no reward, so apparently I just did some video game chores for no reason. Did I miss a quest by doing it too early?

Thoughtless fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 17, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Best way to Shotgun is to get all the mobility & stealth related psychomods and chipsets you can have, and do incredibly speedy point-blank shotgun sneak attacks on everything.

It is incredibly satisfying swooping on an enemy from above, and chunking most of their health in one shot.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 17, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thoughtless posted:

So while you're in the Life Support area, you can drop by into Atmosphere Control and repair some fans and then purify the air. Nobody comments on this and there's no reward, so apparently I just did some video game chores for no reason. Did I miss a quest by doing it too early?

No idea. I did the same thing because it seemed like the right thing to do without thinking any deeper about it.

I wonder if you can toss in a bunch of heavy equipment like rack mounted computer tapes and jam all the fans :v:

^ Yesss :black101:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

If you kill Dahl does any other way of saving the surviving crew members appear?

Muurkas
Apr 20, 2005

Thoughtless posted:

spoilers for the endgame Fixing the fans enables a process to suck out all the oxygen in the life support area. If you want to capture Dahl alive he eventually tries to ambush you there. Just activate the process and he will faint in about 10 seconds.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I've been playing this for close to 30 hours and I'm nowhere near the ending. The game's a joy to explore.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
My hot take on this game: this is some good poo poo. Question: I activated a science operator in one of the rooms but what does it do besides floating and saying hi

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Muurkas posted:

spoilers for the endgame Fixing the fans enables a process to suck out all the oxygen in the life support area. If you want to capture Dahl alive he eventually tries to ambush you there. Just activate the process and he will faint in about 10 seconds.

Neato. I've been putting that mission off while mucking about on the station, good to know my random exploration will pay off.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

lalaland posted:

My hot take on this game: this is some good poo poo. Question: I activated a science operator in one of the rooms but what does it do besides floating and saying hi

It restores PSI points, I think.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Muurkas posted:

Oh haha, I had already done the oxygen thing there too, so when I went back to save the people in the cargo bay I sprinted up to the control room and Dahl was there with his back to me so I just shot him with the stun gun, that's how I got him. I love how versatile this game is to different playstyles and paths, they really have thought of everything.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Aphex- posted:

Oh haha, I had already done the oxygen thing there too, so when I went back to save the people in the cargo bay I sprinted up to the control room and Dahl was there with his back to me so I just shot him with the stun gun, that's how I got him. I love how versatile this game is to different playstyles and paths, they really have thought of everything.

I fixed the oxygen thing while he was still talking to his friend. Was disappointed he didn't react to me fixing it in any way.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

It restores PSI points, I think.

Ah cool don't have those psi powers yet

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I got an achievement for reading all the emails but I clearly have several areas left to finish and have even come across terminals with unread emails on them already. Bizzare.

Game is incredibly good and gives me far more Deus Ex vibes than the new games in that series ever did. I've not invested in any psi powers at all: Level 3 combat focus, super jump, shotgun and pistol (with the occasional grenade to knock out shields) has carried me through the entire game. Bursting into a room in slow motion, leaping into the air firing blast after blast at enemies, then sliding around bashing mimics with a wrench is loving legit.

I don't think the environments are all that interesting (With the exception of the Arboretum) and I'm not the biggest fan of the enemies. I know it's trite, but I kind of wish I was facing some System Shock style meaties instead, but what we have gets the job done enough. I've gone from being terrified of mimics to thinking they're adorable. Looking Glass scenes and features will never stop blowing my mind, even if they're old tech that's been done by loads of games now - they're incredibly convincing in this game.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Songbearer posted:

I got an achievement for reading all the emails but I clearly have several areas left to finish and have even come across terminals with unread emails on them already. Bizzare.

You also get cheevos for finding all people and listening to all Transcribes before actual 100% completion.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I wish all "Find tedious thing X" cheevos would work like that. Letting you skip a few is a much better option than going through the entire game with checklist.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Attestant posted:

I wish all "Find tedious thing X" cheevos would work like that. Letting you skip a few is a much better option than going through the entire game with checklist.

Yeah, I actually got all of those naturally thanks to that.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I was panicking because I must read every email and the achievement led me to believe that my precious lifebood had dried up, leaving me with no more interoffice drama for the rest of the game

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wow, these controls are just as challenging as the enemies. Never change, bethesda.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Question. What's the point of using GLOO in combat when you can sneak attack anything with a shotgun before it even gets the chance to react?

I haven't used GLOO in combat since I got the shotgun real early in the Lobby, which incidentally, I managed to find before I found my very first pistol.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Use the gloo gun on cytowhatsits, the nest enemies. Pop those suckers cheap and free with your ridiculous amounts of gloo gun ammo.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is it actually possible to freeze a nightmare with it?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

start game as female, person who contacts morgan is female

start game as male, person who contacts morgan is male

gee wonder where this is going (im pretty sure i know where this is going)

i hope that this is just an early little plot thing and they don't go to the end of the game and are all "wow january was you all along!!!" because this seems really obvious. hope i'm wrong

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it actually possible to freeze a nightmare with it?
It will be made very slow but it can't be completely frozen. Also it breaks out of it pretty fast.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

where the red fern gropes posted:

start game as female, person who contacts morgan is female

start game as male, person who contacts morgan is male

gee wonder where this is going (im pretty sure i know where this is going)

i hope that this is just an early little plot thing and they don't go to the end of the game and are all "wow january was you all along!!!" because this seems really obvious. hope i'm wrong

If you really want to know It reveals it pretty early on why they have your voice.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

If you really want to know It reveals it pretty early on why they have your voice.

ok yeah reading some of the stuff in the apartment gives a different explanation

still not even up to that part though lol

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Wow, these controls are just as challenging as the enemies. Never change, bethesda.

Bethesda didn't develop this though :confused:

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
I have both PS4 and PC versions, don't ask me why, but the difference between the 2 is so pronounced that I can't really play in PS4 after the smooth experience in PC. Are they going to release a PS4 Pro mode? because from what I can tell, the PS4 version is not optimized for Pro.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Jack Trades posted:

Question. What's the point of using GLOO in combat when you can sneak attack anything with a shotgun before it even gets the chance to react?

I haven't used GLOO in combat since I got the shotgun real early in the Lobby, which incidentally, I managed to find before I found my very first pistol.

Shooting a corrupted operator with two globs of it will freeze them and make them fall to the ground, where you can run over an hack them if you have hacking level 3 or 4 for the late-game military operators. That was my main use for it and seems like the most efficient way of dealing with them, but there's also some fun gimmick kills you can get. In the reactor room towards the end of the game two technopaths will spawn and start attacking you. If you get them to float to the top of the room you can toss a nullwave grenade and then cover them in gloo. The ability they use to blast the gloo off themselves is blocked, so they'll plummet to the bottom and die instantly from fall damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

On the very hardest difficulty, it would take me 4 shotgun shells to kill a Phantom, even from stealth. I'd put all my skills into exploration/economy at the time and didn't have too many weapon kits, so opening with stun, then switching to GLOO, then murdering them to prevent me from being two-shot by Phantoms was pretty critical. Once I got more kits and neuromods to upgrade my poo poo, I could just shoot them, but by then I'd also decided that opening combat by throwing fridges at things was funnier.

e: Also I didn't have the shotgun ammo to sustain using it as a primary weapon at the time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

GLOO is really plentiful. I never crafted any ammo for it and ended the game with nearly 2000 rounds

lalaland posted:

Ah cool don't have those psi powers yet

Combat Perception uses psi power. I went with human-only and I really dug that

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah even at level 1 Combat Focus is ridiculously good.

EDIT: So there was a weapon cut from the game(a disc rifle) that had an AI in it and actually talked to you. It eventually starts questioning it's own existence and realizes it hates violence, so it starts asking to be recycled. You can either do that or turn it into a Medical Operator(which gets you a one-time boost). Here's the full dialog along with the model. Only very minor spoilers.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 17, 2017

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I'm 9ish hours into the game I just got out of Alexs office and have spent a couple of hours exploring since. Ive been pretty good at picking up and recycling everything I find; is it normal to blow all your exotic and synthetic (the orange one?) Materials making nuromods or am I doing it wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zebrasectomy posted:

I'm 9ish hours into the game I just got out of Alexs office and have spent a couple of hours exploring since. Ive been pretty good at picking up and recycling everything I find; is it normal to blow all your exotic and synthetic (the orange one?) Materials making nuromods or am I doing it wrong?

That's what I do and it works great.

But I also am doing human only, so I never make psi thingies.