Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

PJOmega posted:

What's weird about Aetherworks Marvel is that triggering it costs 6 energy. Every other card with a "big effect" costs 8 energy.

These big effects are things like...

Create a 6/6 token. (8 energy)
Deal 6 damage to target player (8 energy and an unsick creature)
Take an extra turn (8 energy, 6 Mana, unrepeatable)
Untap all creatures and make another attack (8 energy)
Return all other creatures to hand (8 energy, sorcery speed, on a 7CC body)

6 energy effects are
Draw 3 cards (2 Mana, unrepeatable)
Spin the loving marvel wheel (4 Mana, repeatable, no summoning sickness, can be triggered at instant speed)

Marvel should've either been 8 energy, 6 Mana, entered the battlefield tapped, or been a tap effect on a creature.

Because unlike those other cards, Marvel was obviously pushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/864591027209883648

Feels like there's a lot more churn at WOTC these days but that might just be me imagining things

real cool that an awesome person is leaving WOTC while trick jarret is still allowed to work

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mandatory lesbian posted:

real cool that an awesome person is leaving WOTC while trick jarret is still allowed to work

Trick is some minor PR bumpkin, how's he relevant to Helene leaving?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

specifically, helene spent a good series of months having to correct tricks mistakes

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Subways Jared posted:

What online deckbuilder are people here using to mess with their deck builds?

I started with Deckstats.net, but I've started to find it to be a bit clunky. What are some other good online options?

It's maybe not as robust as other sites but I like Deckbox.org, for both collection tracking and decklist organizing, not to mention its trading.

Molybdenum posted:

How garbage amazing is t1 thought scour targeting your opponent when they keep a card on top from scrying during a Mulligan? Or keeping two on top after serum visions

For the hot minute I was running Thought Scour in Modern Mill, it was awesome.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My next deck project is going to be a mash-up of Jeskai Nahiri + As Foretold because I want to win at least a couple games by stalling out 18 turns to cast Emrakul with As Foretold. :unsmigghh:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AlternateNu posted:

My next deck project is going to be a mash-up of Jeskai Nahiri + As Foretold because I want to win at least a couple games by stalling out 18 turns to cast Emrakul with As Foretold. :unsmigghh:

gently caress it--add something with proliferate to make it go faster

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

trick is a whipping boy for whatever dumb poo poo wotc upper management wants to force on their customers, he does a good job of it so there's no reason to let him go. pretty much the roger goodell of magic

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Boarding in Insult // Injury against one of the bazillion turbofog decks that infest MTGO never gets old.

It's a bad card in every other match but boy does it poo poo on those decks hard.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 17, 2017

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Serperoth posted:

And now he doesn't have a coworker to clean up his messes after him.

:getin:

it's actually hte reverse of waht you think

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i'm going to announce the massive restructure of pro rewards at a pt with no amount of lead up and plenty of in house voices saying this is dumb. this is a great idea - the good and smart one

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i think we'll let the free market settle this

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

born on a buy you posted:

i'm going to announce the massive restructure of pro rewards at a pt with no amount of lead up and plenty of in house voices saying this is dumb. this is a great idea - the good and smart one

You're right, the thing affecting most players is pro rewards. We were all so blind!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Trick Jarret wrote an article blaming customers and content creators for talking about leaks and ruining all the big surprise tweets and facebook posts he and his friends were going to make in 2 weeks so I think until something dumber that can soley be blamed on one person happens he's going to remain king idiot in the mind of this thread.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rinkles posted:

Promotion time for Trick? :getin:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mardu peoples, how important is Painful Truths in the board?

I think I will be the only Mardu player at my store playing against a field of control, a Marvel deck, 2 (maybe budget zombie decks), and the riff raff aggro decks such vampires and G/B energery.

I am not maindecking any declarations. And am basically running Andrew Jessup's list from SCG http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=113156
but -1 Heart -2 Ballista +3 Veteran Motorist, and some land tweaks.

SB:
2 Nahiri
1 Ob
1 Sorin
1 Oath of Lili
2 Dec in Stone
2 Fumigate
3 Transgress
1 Dispossess
1 Anguished unmaking

For control:
- 4 Fatal Push -1 Cut -1 Heart -1 Thalia
+3 Transgress, Dispossess, Ob, Sorin, Anguished Unmaking

Zombies:
+2 Declaration in Stone +2 Fumigate +1 Oath of Lili +2 Nahiri +1 Ob / Sorin +1 Anguished unmaking
-4 Toolcraft -4 Screapheap -2 Veteran Motorist

G/B
+2 Nahiri, Ob, Sorin, +2 Fumigate, + Oath of Lili, Anguished unmaking (Maybe declaration in stone; it seems kind of bad, and this is where normally it would be an extra Oath and Release)

I am kind of contesting to Marvel in hopes that the control players will knock him out, and know how to play around his sideboard. I also removed release the gremlins, because the one deck that it is very good against is G/B and Mardu, and as far as I know there is only one really strong G/B player in the room.

If you play or have a lot of experience playing against Mardu I would really appreciate opinions.

Edit: My sideboard shake up is a concession to Zombies existence. Maybe 2 Declaration in stones and 1 anguished unmaking is unnecessary?

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 17, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mark Rosewater posted:

Several weeks ago, I said that we were taking steps to improve the processes behind the scenes in R&D to ensure that we don’t repeat some of our mistakes of the last year. I’m happy today to talk about one of these changes – the creation of a new group within R&D called Play Design.

The purpose of Play Design is to be a group solely dedicated to the health of tournament environments, to make sure that playing Magic in structured settings is as enjoyable as possible. This will, of course, impact the quality of these formats even for players playing outside of tournaments.

We recently hired Dan Burdick to run this team and are currently staffing it up. This has included moving current R&D members onto the team as well as converting two of our playtesters (welcome Pro Tour 8’ers Melissa DeTora and Andrew Brown) into fulltime employees. We are also looking for additional experienced players outside of Wizards to bring onto the team.

Besides having a team solely focused on this task, we’re also changing how we build sets from the ground up to make sure that Play Design is involved at every step. Design, for example, will be working with Play Design to make sure that we are creating mechanics that can be properly balanced.

Dan is just settling in, but he’ll be writing an article (appearing in June, I believe) that will formally introduce the team and explain its philosophy.

Another layer of people besides core designers to blame if future formats suck!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

if the glassdoor reviews are anything to go by this won't make a difference as any constructive criticism from the playteam will just get drowned out by louder senior people anyway.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

That seems like a... Good development?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Nothing about this would be bad in a vacuum, but it also doesn't reassure me given what I've heard about WOTC's corporate culture.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Siivola posted:

It does, though like AceClown says throwing more people in the hopper isn't going to necessarily solve anything if their processes suck and they're resistant to real change, so time'll tell if they've really learned much.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

And so, the R&D changed is structure to improve their check on the game balance! Will magic players now stop to complain? Pretty sure they will not!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't worry! It won't be relevant until sometime next year so we'll have all the time in the world to complain. :v:

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Siivola posted:

I don't think so, another separate group with a focused purpose organizationally seems like a bureaucratic nightmare. Maybe it will work for them, but my experience in corporate America makes me think it is doomed to be marginalized.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

YggdrasilTM posted:

And so, the R&D changed is structure to improve their check on the game balance! Will magic players now stop to complain? Pretty sure they will not!

I'm sure you could shoot a Magic player and leave them to die and as they bleed to death on the sidewalk, their last words will be: "MaRo is killing Magic!"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Play Design: "This card is going to kill Standard. We need to power it down."
MaRo: "We can't have the flagship mythic of the set not be insane. Overruled."

Three Years Later

Forsythe: "No one could have predicted that this card would warp standard, but unfortunately, we'll need to ban it."
Play Design: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! BUT WE -"
Forsythe: "NO ONE COULD HAVE PREDICTED IT. NO. ONE."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Foma posted:

I don't think so, another separate group with a focused purpose organizationally seems like a bureaucratic nightmare. Maybe it will work for them, but my experience in corporate America makes me think it is doomed to be marginalized.
Well, what would you suggest they do? Making 400 cards, then making all the numbers on those cards line up, and then making sure those cards play nice with the 1,200 cards already in the format are separate skillsets. It's pretty clear Forsythe didn't think turn 4 legendary eldrazi would turn out to be a problem, but I'd bet even money that sacking him would mean more Smuggler's Copters instead of fewer.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

I'm sure you could shoot a Magic player and leave them to die and as they bleed to death on the sidewalk, their last words will be: "MaRo is killing Magic!"

Dying makes honest men of us all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chill la Chill posted:

Dying makes honest men of us all.

I wish I was dead.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Siivola posted:

Well, what would you suggest they do? Making 400 cards, then making all the numbers on those cards line up, and then making sure those cards play nice with the 1,200 cards already in the format are separate skillsets. It's pretty clear Forsythe didn't think turn 4 legendary eldrazi would turn out to be a problem, but I'd bet even money that sacking him would mean more Smuggler's Copters instead of fewer.

Off the top of my head, you set the goals and metrics to the expectations you want. If you want to see less banned cards and a more diverse standard you separate banning from R&D and you judge their employee evaluations off those metrics. I personally would not set to those metrics because you meet them by making a boring weak set.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

We have spent a long time ignoring tournament players telling us about bad game balance so we brought a few of them in house so we can ignore them in a whole new way.

Also be ready for "PLAY DESIGN IS STILL WORKING 3 YEARS OUT" whinging for the next 2-3 years at least.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Does anyone here still use PucaTrade? I just re-entered my collection in an attempt to get rid of draft leftovers, and it looks like promoted trades would theoretically let me trade unused cards for way higher than the actual value. But then I have a bunch of points and potentially no way to get rid of them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Foma posted:

Off the top of my head, you set the goals and metrics to the expectations you want. If you want to see less banned cards and a more diverse standard you separate banning from R&D and you judge their employee evaluations off those metrics. I personally would not set to those metrics because you meet them by making a boring weak set.
Okay so confession time: I've never had a real job and I've no idea what any of this means.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

Okay so confession time: I've never had a real job and I've no idea what any of this means.

i've had a real job, here's the translation: bunch of buzzwords and jargon to say nothing at all

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Siivola posted:

goals- what they hope to accomplish

metrics-how the level of success in accomplishing the goal is measured, think a grading rubric from when you were in school, but with more business speak

employee evaluations-the boss/team lead goes over your job with you and tells you how well/bad you have been doing.....may or may not have anything to do with the employees actual performance or meeting of metrics

Foma's post is still a bunch of near meaningless buzzwords but the translation of what was said is essentially,

Give the "Play Design" team goals and a way to measure those goals. I don't want to come up with those goals because it seems hard. Keep bannings separate from R&D and use bannings as one way to measure the success of the team.

Anyway, wizards changing the paradigm is a sure way to reinvigorate their business model, but I hope their projections for the success of this team aren't too blue sky.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 17, 2017

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Foma posted:

I have been inundated with business / management speak for too long, because this made perfect sense to me :sigh:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Does anyone here still use PucaTrade? I just re-entered my collection in an attempt to get rid of draft leftovers, and it looks like promoted trades would theoretically let me trade unused cards for way higher than the actual value. But then I have a bunch of points and potentially no way to get rid of them.

I thought Pucatrade has been completely dead for over a year now after people were complaining that they were trading away stuff and accumulating points but never able to actually get anything of actual value for their points since point were worth significantly less than they had been after they were exposed for paying all their content providers / reviewers in Pucapoints - has this changed at all?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Madmarker posted:

Anyway, wizards changing the paradigm is a sure way to reinvigorate their business model, but I hope their projections for the success of this team aren't too blue sky.

That's so synergy.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Please don't make fun of corporate speak. You may not enjoy it, but others do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

I thought Pucatrade has been completely dead for over a year now after people were complaining that they were trading away stuff and accumulating points but never able to actually get anything of actual value for their points since point were worth significantly less than they had been after they were exposed for paying all their content providers / reviewers in Pucapoints - has this changed at all?

The greater problem is that people who actually don't care about getting real valuable stuff also can't get anything. I wanted a lot of lovely Pauper cards and couldn't get anything, because I have points and don't want to send more cards out, but because I haven't sent cards out recently my wants literally don't show up for other people. I am the kind of trader that should be the focus of Pucatrade - I'm willing to send off high dollar EDH poo poo in return for a bunch of jank. I'm what keeps the economy going, and deliberately blocking me from receiving my junk is laughably suicidal.

So yes, Pucatrade is dead. Specifically it's dead due to the actions of the Pucatrade team making a shittier version of their site and then making it even worse.