Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

Uuuugggghhhh I broke down and bought the Rebel Transport just to get some of the R2 units for the tournament.

I am weak. Weak against little plastic spaceships.

I have, so far, managed to hold firm against the Transport. I only want R3-A2 and R4-D6 out of the whole thing, for the rare times I actually play a Rebel list.

Also please FFG fix SLAM bombs so I can play Imperials again. I miss my dodgy Imperial aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

IronSaber posted:

Uuuugggghhhh I broke down and bought the Rebel Transport just to get some of the R2 units for the tournament.

It's okay. We're here for you.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Also I am at the least excited to get to play an Epic match with a buddy of mine who recently acquired the Gozanti cruiser.

So now I need a good build for the Transport... do small ship upgrade cards affect the Transport in the same way? Like can I use Squad Leader on the Transport to give it an extra action?

*E*

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's okay. We're here for you.

Hello, my name is IronSaber, and I am addicted to little plastic spaceships...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

IronSaber posted:

Also I am at the least excited to get to play an Epic match with a buddy of mine who recently acquired the Gozanti cruiser.

So now I need a good build for the Transport... do small ship upgrade cards affect the Transport in the same way? Like can I use Squad Leader on the Transport to give it an extra action?

*E*

My name is Acebuckeye13, and I once bought a Starviper just for Autothrusters.

The shame never goes away.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

*E*

Most cards also work on epic ships. I think only Navigator explicitly does not work on epic ships.

Biggs also can't protect an epic ship.

Although my advice would be to build your Transport to support your other ships instead of building your other ships to support your transport.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My name is Acebuckeye13, and I once bought a Starviper just for Autothrusters.

The shame never goes away.

I think everyone who is serious about the game has purchased the Autothrusters expansion pack. Comes with a neat model to put on your desk!

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I still haven't bought a StarViper. It comes with two copies so I always just borrow when I need one for a tournament.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm a little lost as to what to fly for the next few months for Store Championships. I've been flying some variation of Kanan/Biggs since October, and it's time to move on. Here's what I'm considering:

- Triple T70s
- Rey and Chewie
- Targeting Synchronizer SFs with Pure Sabacc
- Ketsu & Asajj

I'm pretty sure none of these will deal well with high-PS munitions, but maybe I just take those matchups as a loss from the start. I know the Triple T70s wouldn't be the most competitive thing in the world, but it seems like the most fun, and it's got a good toolbox against most matchups.

How are you all figuring out what to run with for the upcoming season?

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

IronSaber posted:

I feel your pain. I got lucky though, a guy locally was selling off his collection so I managed to score the Rebel Transport, Imperial Assault Carrier, and another K-wing for a good price.

That being said, I know gently caress all about building an epic list. Here is my first stab at an Imperial epic list:

TIE Phantom: •"Whisper" (41)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
•Agent Kallus (2)

TIE Fighter: •"Howlrunner" (18)

Upsilon-Class Shuttle: •Major Stridan (46)
Engine Upgrade (4)
•Kylo Ren's Shuttle (2)
Fire-Control System (2)
•Kylo Ren (3)
Fleet Officer (3)

TIE Adv. Prototype: Baron of the Empire (28)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)

TIE Adv. Prototype: Baron of the Empire (28)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)
Push the Limit (3)
Proton Rockets (3)

TIE Fighter: Black Squadron Pilot (15)
Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

Crack Shot (1)

TIE Fighter: •"Wampa" (14)

Gozanti-Class: Gozanti-Class Cruiser (68)
Ordnance Tubes (5)
•Suppressor (6)
•Emperor Palpatine (8)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Ordnance Experts (5)
Docking Clamps (0)

TIE Fighter: Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 300/300

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

What is Targeting Synchronizer doing in this list? You don't have any munitions.

Does "a game effect instructing you to spend a TL" include spending a TL to reroll your dice?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Some Numbers posted:

What is Targeting Synchronizer doing in this list? You don't have any munitions.

Does "a game effect instructing you to spend a TL" include spending a TL to reroll your dice?

Yep

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah so in theory Quickdraw shoots and gains a TL with FCS. Then Backdraft shoots, using Quickdraw's TL to reroll as needed. Gains a Target Lock with FCS. Then Sabacc shoots, using either remaining TL if needed. Same deal for the next round, but hopefully one of the TLs is still up so Quickdraw can shoot fully modified and start the chain over again.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

IronSaber posted:

Think of the Rebel Transport as a 30 point tax to include Carlist Rieekan in your list, and be sure to take Etahn Abaht, because he's also amazing in Epic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyonero posted:

Yeah so in theory Quickdraw shoots and gains a TL with FCS. Then Backdraft shoots, using Quickdraw's TL to reroll as needed. Gains a Target Lock with FCS. Then Sabacc shoots, using either remaining TL if needed. Same deal for the next round, but hopefully one of the TLs is still up so Quickdraw can shoot fully modified and start the chain over again.

It's *really* nasty, but I like QD Tomax and Deathfire for even more alpha punch.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Esege Tuketu is also a great way to feed focus tokens to the big ships that don't otherwise get them.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

A while ago, folks in this thread were discussing ways to Make X-wings Great Again, some with an S-foil ability, others with a title card. Was there any real consensus on this, or did it just kind of peter out?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

IronSaber posted:

A while ago, folks in this thread were discussing ways to Make X-wings Great Again, some with an S-foil ability, others with a title card. Was there any real consensus on this, or did it just kind of peter out?

I dunno, but TBH the U-Wing Pivot Wing title is practically useless, because it telegraphs your move so badly. Switching it at start of activation phase (same time as decloaking) rather than at the end phase would make it much more usable.
Actually, that would be a great pilot ability for K2-SO, changing the timing of flipping the title

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

IronSaber posted:

Without playtesting, design is meaningless.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

IronSaber posted:

I'm still torn between an S-Foil dual card and an S-Foil Actuator Tech upgrade.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

IronSaber posted:

admanb posted:

Well I have a game group that would be up for testing some fixes if there are some suggested goon ones. :blush:

Perhaps unrelated but my group is also wanting to start up a Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign. It seems to be pretty well regarded here and on other forums, but since I'm GMing it any pointers or noob things to keep in mind for running the game?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

admanb posted:

The Motto of Homebrewers everywhere

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Holybat posted:

Perhaps unrelated but my group is also wanting to start up a Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign. It seems to be pretty well regarded here and on other forums, but since I'm GMing it any pointers or noob things to keep in mind for running the game?

HotAC seems like the Star Wars game for people who want to buy a dozen plus TIEs of various designs and two or three of like, everything else. Then toss in some Micro Machines and anything that barely fits to scale and then craft broken rules for them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Honestly, it's far from the worst thing I've seen. I'd give it a solid B, B-.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Honestly, it's far from the worst thing I've seen. I'd give it a solid B, B-.

My biggest issue with it is that all of its weaknesses are easily overcome. All that red on its dial? over half of it goes away if you equip Unhinged Astromech. Inability to turn around is negated by the turret slot (and one of the pilots).

I'm just not sure I see what it does that the standard Y-Wing does not.

I really like the pilot ability on the PS7 pilot though. That's awesome.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

The PS7 pilot ability is pretty nice...

So another thing I wanted to bother this thread about: ship set-up. I feel there's a strategy to it that I've been missing when I start putting my ships on the field, and my usual strategy of "point ships towards enemy and full speed ahead" feels like it won't last in a proper tournament.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I'll admit, I'm running outta poo poo homebrew right now.

MAybe I'll find some more soon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IronSaber posted:

The PS7 pilot ability is pretty nice...

So another thing I wanted to bother this thread about : ship set-up. I feel there's a strategy to it that I've been missing when I start putting my ships on the field, and my usual strategy of "point ships towards enemy and full speed ahead" feels like it won't last in a proper tournament.

There's a great series of articles by 3x World Champ Paul Heaver about initial placement and rock setup. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/3/20/turn-zero/

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

AndyElusive posted:

HotAC seems like the Star Wars game for people who want to buy a dozen plus TIEs of various designs and two or three of like, everything else.

Hi, this is the X-Wing thread.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a great series of articles by 3x World Champ Paul Heaver about initial placement and rock setup. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/3/20/turn-zero/

I just wish that the Fantasy Flight domain wasn't blocked at work (I work at a school).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

The Wave XI stuff isn't listed on the upcoming products page anymore, as of yesterday
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Hmmmm. Imperial TLTs and Wookie ships in time for summer store champs?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

The Wave XI stuff isn't listed on the upcoming products page anymore, as of yesterday
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/upcoming/

Hmmmm. Imperial TLTs and Wookie ships in time for summer store champs?

My bet is that they're gonna be a GenCon release, possibly alongside the Gozanti. I could be wrong, though!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Both named pilots seem totally fine? :shrug:

Unhinged Astromech totally changing that dial is a pretty big oversight, but not disastrous.

Edit: Oh geez, I didn't see Well Engineered. That combos with Unhinged to make almost the whole dial green.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

You can fit 5 of the generics with 4/5 dice primary supercannons. Would probably outperform 3 missile boats on the joust :v:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

canyoneer posted:

You can fit 5 of the generics with 4/5 dice primary supercannons. Would probably outperform 3 missile boats on the joust :v:

I imagine they intend for the +2 dice to not stack with the +1 dice from R1. Which is not how the rule works, as worded.

Wotsnik
Sep 28, 2005
Just because you can see it, doesn't mean it's not invisible.

Holybat posted:

Having played through it fully I can definitely say it is a blast. You don't really need a dedicated GM, just having one person be the AI-guy, rolling the dice and keeping the maneuver charts in front of them each session, works just fine.

Just have a good read of how to resolve bumps/swerving for the AI, if you only quickly scan it and play it slightly wrong as we did at first, the enemy move differently enough that it will affect the game. The AI generally flies pretty well, once in a while they will do something dumb and die horribly, but that's fine. It wouldn't be Star Wars without TIEs exploding everywhere. Sometimes you also get the stealth ace, an enemy ship that flies a silly maneuver and loses shots for a couple of turns, but then swings around exactly where you need to go late game and almost kills you all. Good times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's a poo poo show brewing in the Facebook repaints group because someone wanted to show their general lee ship again. :lol:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

There's a poo poo show brewing in the Facebook repaints group because someone wanted to show their general lee ship again. :lol:

Oh god, I remember that thread title

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

True fact: I almost convinced a local guy to paint his extra Falcon as the General Lee.

True fact: I really don't like that guy much.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Is the issue more about painting the Confederate flag on the Falcon? 'cause I feel like apart from that, having an orange Falcon with the number 01 on it seems kind of harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Silly homebrew:

Every PS8+ X-Wing now has Talonbane Cobra's ability, plus their own. And access to regen.

• Locked thread