Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

There's no new content in this 4 min video btw, but a lot of love for fanartists. Says event will end 6/12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I got halfway through before I realized they weren't going to say what the event was :-/

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

playing a lot of mystery heroes mostly teaches you to be better at mystery heroes but you can get some takeaways on things like pushing with your team and dear God how do I kill this mercy. but for learning a specific hero it's garbage. if you don't know how to play them you usually die before you pick anything up and you aren't learning how to deal with your counters so you can end up with an inflated sense of skill in playing a hero

or in other words, ask me about my 23 kills/ no deaths game as tracer in mh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ehud posted:

I got halfway through before I realized they weren't going to say what the event was :-/

It's gonna be a community hats update

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

this concept is more commonly known as skill

Taking advantage of a weakness is your opponent's skillset is not necessarily indicative of personal skill, a Pharah can play like poo poo- not landing direct hit, not knowing how to weave in and out of cover to avoid getting shot, etc- and still climb fairly well, despite their own skill not being all that great. This is because they are exploiting their opponent's inability to aim and target prioritize. Climbing high in overwatch requires both personal skill and the ability to exploit your opponent's weaknesses. It's a lot harder to learn how to improve your own personal skill if you learn how to exploit an opponent's weakness' first, because exploitative gameplay is very binary- are they making a mistake/have this weakness or do they not. If you don't have that weakness or make a mistake you can punish, then you get punished for not having the requisite skill, and then you lose and drop SR.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 17, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

All for Tracer.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Everyone gets a little party hat :gary:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Don't toy with me like this.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

berenzen posted:

Taking advantage of a weakness is your opponent's skillset is not necessarily indicative of personal skill, a Pharah can play like poo poo- not landing direct hit, not knowing how to weave in and out of cover to avoid getting shot, etc- and still climb fairly well, despite their own skill not being all that great. This is because they are exploiting their opponent's inability to aim and target prioritize. Climbing high in overwatch requires both personal skill and the ability to exploit your opponent's weaknesses. It's a lot harder to learn how to improve your own personal skill if you learn how to exploit an opponent's weakness' first, because exploitative gameplay is very binary- are they making a mistake/have this weakness or do they not. If you don't have that weakness or make a mistake you can punish, then you get punished for not having the requisite skill, and then you lose and drop SR.

I'm baffled by what is being called out here. Outplaying an opponent is trash unless its done with pure mechanical skill?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

wit posted:

I'm baffled by what is being called out here. Outplaying an opponent is trash unless its done with pure mechanical skill?

I think it's like "using imbalance to win games isn't the same as getting better." except with more words. idk though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i play roadhog 24/7 because he is the greatest character

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

wit posted:

I think the point is that punishing misplays of your opponents only works when your opponents make lots of misplays.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

TheMaskedUgly posted:

I think the point is that punishing misplays of your opponents only works when your opponents make lots of misplays.

A mix of this, and the fact that you can play like utter dogshit but if your opponent is unable to punish you for playing like dogshit doesn't automatically mean that you are not playing like dogshit.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 17, 2017

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, that's not nearly fetishized enough to sell loot boxes.

It's gonna be shoes.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Punishing misplay is a skill. And one that has value at every level of play, because we aren't robots. Even the pros make mistakes. There are heroes whose entire skillset revolves around punishing you for being out of position. So I don't see why Pharah should be singled out here - if she's skilled enough to take advantage of the opponents lovely play, she'll climb until she can't climb anymore - because the enemies are as skilled as her, and make fewer misplays and/or hit better shots.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I think the main thing though is that if you're one-tricking Pharah at low SR you may not actually understand what you're doing that is punishing your opponents. That doesn't mean you're not going to climb, but it also doesn't mean you're learning anything or improving in any way

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I like all the talk like this is some hyper tuned esports game when blizzard balancing is done by a palsied guy arbitrarily slapping levers between good and bad without rhyme or reason

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

kumba posted:

I think the main thing though is that if you're one-tricking Pharah at low SR you may not actually understand what you're doing that is punishing your opponents. That doesn't mean you're not going to climb, but it also doesn't mean you're learning anything or improving in any way
"doesn't really understand the hero but manages to play well with them through instinct and/or sheer luck" is not an exclusively Pharah problem, is the thing. If you're playing Roadhog and you're throwing out hooks without really thinking about it and you're still landing enough to win you'll rank up. Eventually you will reach a place where that's not good enough anymore, and the fact that you don't understand how you manage to hit hooks means you don't know how to practice in order to hit more or better hooks.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

I like all the talk like this is some hyper tuned esports game when blizzard balancing is done by a palsied guy arbitrarily slapping levers between good and bad without rhyme or reason
The SR system sucks and all but you still have to win to get points

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Exploiting a tactic that only works against people who don't yet understand how to counter it is not really analogous to skill. It's smart, yeah, but when people adapt you're brought back to earth.

A cheesy tactic can work against a team of better players the first time, but then never again the next hundred.

Skill is a more general indicator of ability.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jeza posted:

Exploiting a tactic that only works against people who don't yet understand how to counter it is not really analogous to skill. It's smart, yeah, but when people adapt you're brought back to earth.

A cheesy tactic can work against a team of better players the first time, but then never again the next hundred.

Skill is a more general indicator of ability.
if the tactic started and ended at "selecting hero" you'd have a point, but it doesn't matter if you picked Pharah if you can't hit the shots. If you can't, it's a 5v6 (or a 4v6 if you have a friendly Mercy) and your team is generally not going to win those.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

pharah is also a very good hero to roll in mystery heroes because she's brainless easy when she's not being countered, for what it's worth

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
People don't like having to switch off characters they like just to counter and there is nothing that more obviously demands a specific counter than Pharmercy. As someone said previously, it's a binary "do I have the falloff range to hit her" question for most characters, rather than a "can I safely reach the right position to hit her by using spatial awareness and positioning".

Low tier Pharahs have bad positioning. My friends routinely call out in qp that they have a "Pharah balloon", which is a Symmetra attached to the Pharah by her laser beam. But sometimes you encounter the Pharah that has good positioning, and at that point it feels unfair every time you die to her when you're not playing one of the hitscan crew. It makes people eat their own teammates for not taking care of a problem they personally can only hide from. It's more player feelings than balance, though nerfs to McCree/76/Ana don't help when a lot of players don't want to play Widow either.

In the recent video about balancing, Blizz talked about both statistics (raw power and winrate of a hero) and player perception as being influencing factors on their character design. For Pharah these principles collide in a really ugly way, because to much of the player base Pharah is a god simply by existing, but statistically she is not OP and gets worse as she climbs.

No one thinks Junkrat is a god. But he's ubiquitous and arguably pretty powerful in scrub tier. Something about his implementation keeps his kills from feeling unfair, and it might be that no one has to switch to something specific to counter him.

Symm is the only other one people go crazy over in chat as far as I have seen. Symm is the result of more obvious positioning mistakes than Pharmercy, and does not demand a specific counter, but I don't have time rn to decode why her kills feel unfair to people.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

turtlecrunch posted:

Symm is the only other one people go crazy over in chat as far as I have seen. Symm is the result of more obvious positioning mistakes than Pharmercy, and does not demand a specific counter, but I don't have time rn to decode why her kills feel unfair to people.

there isn't much to decode there. as one pubbie on the other team once told me during my sym potg, "lol using a trackball". she just feels unfair to people who can't aim because she doesn't require any, and there's a feeling of helplessness when you're getting destroyed by someone five feet away from you who just has to hold down left click to kill you

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

turtlecrunch posted:

It's a combination of factors. Off the top of my head:

-laser chain staying leashed at distances most people think it should fall off
-Symm jumps around which leads to the aiming impaired (me) being upset we can't shoot the tiny woman jumping around like a rabbit on crack
-laser damage not resetting after a kill so under the right circumstances she can just mow through a group
-nobody actively looks for the turrets she plops out which leads to deaths that feel cheap
-laser chain stays leashed for a few moments when moving behind cover
-the perception that not having to look at your victim+not having to aim leads to seeing an auto lock gun as cheap and unskilled

There's more but I don't feel like typing it all out.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Exploitative gameplay can absolutely happen with every hero, it's just very prominent with Pharah in lower SR. This is because her strongest counters- Widow and McCree- require higher mechanical skill in order to actually counter her. Enough mechanical skill to push them out of the SR where pharah's are more prominent. After that point, the Pharah's that are in that bracket are the ones who have learned how to have proper mechanical skill to not just get dunked on endlessly by Widow/McCree players

Exploitative gameplay is not skill- it's relying on the enemy not to have certain skill rather than having a skill. Punishing opponents for making mistakes is a skill, but that's not exploitative gameplay.

Another example: Baiting out a roadhog hook and them punishing him for throwing said hook is a skill, standing directly in front of a roadhog that cannot land a hook to save his life and just shooting him is exploitative. The former is showing how well you can juke, the latter is literally just abusing the fact that hook accuracy is pisspoor at low levels and is something that you would get punished for at higher SR.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
When Roadhog hooks Mei, can she no longer turn herself into an ice cube before getting shot? I haven't played Mei in a few months but last time I did I was able to hold shift as soon as I got hooked so that I would ice cube before being shot?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Roadhog used to have to step forward before shooting Mei. He no longer has to now, meaning he can get his shot off before the stun wears off.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

berenzen posted:

Roadhog used to have to step forward before shooting Mei. He no longer has to now, meaning he can get his shot off before the stun wears off.

This clears up that mystery. Thanks!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

berenzen posted:

Exploitative gameplay can absolutely happen with every hero, it's just very prominent with Pharah in lower SR. This is because her strongest counters- Widow and McCree- require higher mechanical skill in order to actually counter her.

This. Pharah and Symmetra bring out the salt at low tiers more than Junkrat because countering them at low levels requires significantly more skill than using them. (Once you're playing at the level where players have consistently better aim Pharah and Symmetra start to require a lot more obviously, but the skill floor for using them at all is lower.)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 17, 2017

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

(Once you're playing at the level where players have consistently better aim Pharah and Symmetra start to require a lot more obviously, but the skill floor for using them at all is lower higher.)

Higher skillfloor = easier to use
Lower Skill floor= harder to use

Pedantic, I know. But it's something that bugs me.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
After 18 hours of Ana I finally got my Enabler achievement. Thanks to one of my close friends no less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixINCjH4vI4

NSFW language I guess

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Linx posted:

After 18 hours of Ana I finally got my Enabler achievement. Thanks to one of my close friends no less

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixINCjH4vI4

NSFW language I guess

That's a charmingly modest standard of "NSFW language."

That was a pretty nice play, though. Now that Ana's been out for a while, I don't see people boost Reinhardts anymore. Especially not without the old speed buff it gave.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I didn't really want the Discord in there but shadowplay keeps grabbing everything no matter what I do :shrug:

Rein is still a pretty good target for it as long as you don't expect to get a lot of kills. 9/10 times the glowing axe wielding man is enough to disorient the enemy long enough for you to capitalise on it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I can't avoid Shadowplay recording my voice at 10x the volume of everyone else's no matter what I do to the mic volume settings, and it refuses to record audio onto separate tracks so I can correct it in post, so I gave up on recording my voice at all. Bad program, but I like hitting the "record the last x minutes" button.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a Shadowplay thing, audio output capture is just plain hosed on Windows. Splitting audio into different tracks by program is only possible through workarounds, and even those have some hard limitations. I can't find the guide I used originally, but the best setup I was able to figure out uses Voicemeeter to split my audio into two groups: "everything", and "everything minus voice chat" (and the catch is that "voice chat" can only include programs that have a "select audio output device" option in their settings, which Discord mercifully does).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Theta Zero posted:

That's a charmingly modest standard of "NSFW language."

That was a pretty nice play, though. Now that Ana's been out for a while, I don't see people boost Reinhardts anymore. Especially not without the old speed buff it gave.

Yeah I don't see it much either. Always goes to soldier or Genji.

Rein will do in a pinch though, if you have a lucio he can speedboost rein into people and just need to clear space around the payload, he's really good for that.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I boost him sometimes purely for stalling/survival purposes, if we have no visor/sword up.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I see it quite a lot and it can work pretty well. It means a Rein with his shield down can contribute to a fight far more than he would otherwise, and you can easily get most of an Earth Shatter out of it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

berenzen posted:

Higher skillfloor = easier to use
Lower Skill floor= harder to use

Pedantic, I know. But it's something that bugs me.

Wrong. A higher skill floor means you need HIGHER skill to use the character. You need high skill to get on that floor. A low skill floor means it's easy to get to the point where you can do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
When did skill ceiling fall out of favour?