Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

MikeC posted:

Its was ok, for me in ranked, the B hull 128s have some wierd special penetration values which pretty much beat any armor inferior to 32mm so it can be a lot of damage in the right circumstances. But 7km secondaries are a lot worse than 10.6km Bismarck secondaries. You also have a lot less of them.

Its not going to be the zone of death gimmick the Bismarck gets.

uhhh. The scharnhorst is a premium and doesn't have hull upgrades. Meanwhile, the scharnhorst is equipped with the gneis a hull. So it has a mix of 150s and 128s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JuffoWup posted:

uhhh. The scharnhorst is a premium and doesn't have hull upgrades. Meanwhile, the scharnhorst is equipped with the gneis a hull. So it has a mix of 150s and 128s.

150s and 105s. The Gneis B Hull and Kurfurst are the only ones with 128s.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

JuffoWup posted:

I was typing on my phone and it wiped out the Gneisenau comparison. The B hull reference should have gave it away. Sorry for the confusion. I was trying to give a practical example of what my experience with 7km secondaries was like.

edit: So yea, in short even with the special 128s it was "ok" in ranked vs only T7s.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The German 12.8cm and 15cm secondaries are an exception to the general HE pen rule and have caliber/4 pen on their HE rounds rather than the usual caliber/6, which effectively means they have IFHE built in. The Scharnhorst doesn't have 12.8's though, only 10.5 and 15cm. I guess if you're using your Bismarck captain in it you might consider it, but I agree than it is more of a gimmick than really useful.

This post suggests some really loving wacky IFHE builds for German BB's if you're feeling like experimenting. The main guns get caliber/4 HE pen too so there's some potential for wacko HE citadel pens on certain ships, but, eh.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 16, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

TheFluff posted:

This post suggests some really loving wacky IFHE builds for German BB's if you're feeling like experimenting. The main guns get caliber/4 HE pen too so there's some potential for wacko HE citadel pens on certain ships, but, eh.

I have penned cruisers with Graf Spee main gun HE rounds before. The damage is so small its a waste of time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MikeC posted:

I have penned cruisers with Graf Spee main gun HE rounds before. The damage is so small its a waste of time.

However the secondary damage is significant when you're facing off against the bow in meta. Just watched a game by Aeroon in a kurrywurst where he did 17k secondary damage in HE pens to a Montana that was parked bow in vs him. If you're bow in and they're bow in and you have IFHE and they don't, you can still hurt him while you bounce all of his incoming poo poo.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I swear, there are more weekend warriors playing tonight than there were on the weekend. Six straight losses with teams full of bots, AFKs and idiots.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
How often do they do boat sales? I kind of want a boat but I'd like a discount.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Pretty frequently, but only one or a few at a time. According to the website, Texas and Dunkerque are coming up next on the NA store.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Since we just got over a massive slapfight about T7 BBs, how about a brand new Colorado commentary by Flamu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiHAjhNWbkg

tl;dw

Pros:
Very maneuverable,
Small,
Solid torp protection (when combined with above Flamu argues this makes it a lovely target for torps),
best heal in game (65% of penetrations)
16inch guns, valid through T9 and can overmatch all the other T7 BBs (In his commentary Flamu just drives straight into a cap and murders everyone, 110k damage in 8 minutes)

Cons:
Slow as gently caress, easy to punish poor positioning
Worst power to weight ratio in the game so it also accelerates like poo poo
25mm armor so it's impossible to angle against other BBs, (he and a colorado trade shots and it's like watching the end of a rocky movie where the two guys are just throwing haymakers at bloody faces)
Small overall HP pool

Flamu's conclusion: It's a solid T7 ship that's gotten some pretty nice buffs and shouldn't be underestimated even when it's bottom tier. Apparently he also used it for ranked.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
According to 0.6.5 patch notes Warspite getting its base turret traverse buffed from 72s to 54.5s :getin:

Ice Fist posted:

Actually it only heals 50% like all other BBs IIRC, it's just that its raw heal power is much higher compared to other BBs. Only Warspite currently can heal more % than standard (60% vs 50%).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Insert name here posted:

According to 0.6.5 patch notes Warspite getting its base turret traverse buffed from 72s to 54.5s :getin:

Actually it only heals 50% like all other BBs IIRC, it's just that its raw heal power is much higher compared to other BBs. Only Warspite currently can heal more % than standard (60% vs 50%).

Then Flamu is wrong. He outright says that the Colorado heals better (specifically mentioning 65% vs. the Warspite's 60%).

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that that nugget of information was not something I interpolated or came up with myself. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
It's apples and oranges. The Warspite heals more % of its hitpoint pool, but the Colorado can potentially heal 65% of penetration damage which is better than most other BB, though it might take more heal charges.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Blindeye posted:

It's apples and oranges. The Warspite heals more % of its hitpoint pool, but the Colorado can potentially heal 65% of penetration damage which is better than most other BB, though it might take more heal charges.
It's the other way around; Colorado has a higher raw heal while Warspite has higher potential (Warspite also gets a better than standard heal too actually, just not as good as the Colorado). This info was current as of a couple of patches ago, but unless I missed a patch note or they stealth changed it it should still be correct.

Ice Fist posted:

Then Flamu is wrong. He outright says that the Colorado heals better (specifically mentioning 65% vs. the Warspite's 60%).

Not trying to be argumentative, just pointing out that that nugget of information was not something I interpolated or came up with myself. Straight from the horse's mouth.
Yeah I wasn't singling you out specifically, just pointing out that that particular nugget of info is wrong.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Insert name here posted:

According to 0.6.5 patch notes Warspite getting its base turret traverse buffed from 72s to 54.5s

:neckbeard:

Also something about a T6 premium French cruiser on the way.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Since we just got over a massive slapfight about T7 BBs, how about a brand new Colorado commentary by Flamu:

tl;dw

Pros:
Very maneuverable,
Small,
Solid torp protection (when combined with above Flamu argues this makes it a lovely target for torps),
16inch guns, valid through T9 and can overmatch all the other T7 BBs (In his commentary Flamu just drives straight into a cap and murders everyone, 110k damage in 8 minutes)

Cons:
Slow as gently caress, easy to punish poor positioning
Worst power to weight ratio in the game so it also accelerates like poo poo
25mm armor so it's impossible to angle against other BBs, (he and a colorado trade shots and it's like watching the end of a rocky movie where the two guys are just throwing haymakers at bloody faces)
Small overall HP pool

Flamu's conclusion: It's a solid T7 ship that's gotten some pretty nice buffs and shouldn't be underestimated even when it's bottom tier. Apparently he also used it for ranked.

Pretty sure he executed an EU goon in that vid, because wargaming Europe didn't have any problems with someone registering GOON

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

P. sure I've seen [GOON] tags on the NA server.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sperglord Actual posted:

P. sure I've seen [GOON] tags on the NA server.

On na iirc goon was snatched by pubbies.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yep, [GOON] is the EU clan and failurecascade is in it.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

orange juche posted:

On na iirc goon was snatched by pubbies.

Figures.

BTW is there a way to tell if a player has changed their name?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Yeah, it's failurecascade.

So, the Hunt for the Bismarck missions... Seem pretty doable, and outright easy if you have a Hood.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero

TheFluff posted:

Yep, [GOON] is the EU clan and failurecascade is in it.

As clan commander I decree that failurecascade must commit seppuku for this shameful performance.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

El_Molestadore posted:

As clan commander I decree that failurecascade must commit seppuku for this shameful performance.

I apologize for outing failurecascade.

But not really.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Need to start working on storing enough willpower to avoid getting bent over to the tune of 100 CDN for the Hood.

Why couldn't they just keep the ship mediocre and let us earn it like the Graf Spee

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

One team gets Flamu in a top tier BB, the other gets three loving retards who think hiding on the 10 line in their battleships is a good idea in a Domination match. Holy hell do I hate pubbies. I know it happens on the NA server plenty too, but I've gotten the impression it's even more common on EU. Is that accurate?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
It is extremely common on EU. It is getting worse by the week.
Cant compare with US as I haven't played there

Krogort fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 16, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Cippalippus posted:

Yeah, it's failurecascade.

So, the Hunt for the Bismarck missions... Seem pretty doable, and outright easy if you have a Hood.

I was actually looking for the Hood in the shop to see how it was, but it isn't there yet. :emo:

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Repurchased the New Orleans and used my Arizona to speed-retrain its captain. Now to grind silver until I can afford the modules. :sweatdrop:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Sperglord Actual posted:

Repurchased the New Orleans and used my Arizona to speed-retrain its captain. Now to grind silver until I can afford the modules. :sweatdrop:

I bounced my New Orleans captain between the Arizona, Texas, Sims, Smith (which is awful btw), and finally ticked the 14th skill point and picked AFT because....I wanted to also use him in the Atlanta.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I was actually looking for the Hood in the shop to see how it was, but it isn't there yet. :emo:

Try checking near the Denmark Strait. :rimshot:

Though, looking at the full mission list makes it seem pretty easy overall. More dependent on RNG to give you the medals for that collection perhaps.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Wackiest match of the month for sure. The close quarters expert is from killing a Kiev of all things, while the torpedo hits are from a yolo point blank torp kill on a Bismarck. Would've been a Kraken too but the match ended on time before my shots landed on their last ship.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 17, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I bounced my New Orleans captain between the Arizona, Texas, Sims, Smith (which is awful btw), and finally ticked the 14th skill point and picked AFT because....I wanted to also use him in the Atlanta.

I went with AFT + CE because I've learned the hard way never to rely on 'friendly' CVs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
all of my US CA captains are BFT/AFT/MAA setup because gently caress PLANES

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Just saw that, it's going to be good.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Enterprise is 2/2/2 on supertest, with 5 plane squadrons. This cannot possibly go wrong

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

TheFluff posted:

Enterprise is 2/2/2 on supertest, with 5 plane squadrons. This cannot possibly go wrong

On one hand: Wow, that essentially makes the Shokaku obsolete.

On the other hand: The reserve is tiny (you get only one spare TB squad per squad) and unlike the Saipan the planes are even tier, so it looks like you're gonna have to really baby your planes in it since they're not overleveled or disposable, like on a Japanese carrier.

Edit: also the surface detect range is crap compared to Japanese carriers so good luck trying to hide if you got caught out of position.

Triggerhappypilot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 17, 2017

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
OK so I am pretty bad at killing carriers. I generally play a DD, and sometimes I'll slink my way around the map and catch a carrier unprotected. What's the generally recommended way of attacking these things? Currently I've been hitting them with HE to try to light them on fire and deny use of the aircraft. If I get close enough or light them on fire, I'll switch to AP and just try for citadels until I get close enough for torpedoes.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

OK so I am pretty bad at killing carriers. I generally play a DD, and sometimes I'll slink my way around the map and catch a carrier unprotected. What's the generally recommended way of attacking these things? Currently I've been hitting them with HE to try to light them on fire and deny use of the aircraft. If I get close enough or light them on fire, I'll switch to AP and just try for citadels until I get close enough for torpedoes.

You are pretty much doing it right. If you are not spotted, do not fire. Poor on lots of HE to start fires. If on fire, use AP as long as you aren't over penning. If the fire goes out or expires, fire up the HE again. Shoot torps when you have a good chance of them connecting.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

*five* fighter squads in reserve vs only 2 for the Torpedo Bombers is :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So CE or AFT for my first tier 4 skill on the Ognevoi?