Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I mean they'll basically just have to juggle ringchasers and minimum guys like Miami did and Cleveland's doing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if they stagger the stars' minutes a lineup of Thompson, Green and three department store mannequins will still eat up the bench units of 90% of the league.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The powerful combo of a Harden-esque beard and a Harden-esque Euro Step.

More proof the Euro Step shouldn't be called the Euro Step. We now have historical evidence for why it should be renamed the Castro Step.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

And they're going to have to extend Nurkic too

He still has 1 year before RFA, so I think they are safe in that regard. Allen Crabbe and Evan Turner will make more money than Draymond Green and Klay Thompson next season.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

"I never disrespect women, but I tell you what; if you act like that? Guess what. Something coming to you"

Translation: "As long as women act like I think they should act, I never disrespect women"

What a complete, full on jackass. The lovely thing about this idiot is that I know next to nothing about his son, but I hope he busts out of the league just to make his dad go the gently caress away. I can't even enjoy his antics ironically like alot of you are, he's just a bombastic idiot to me.

And I don't want to stir up the Zaza hornet's nest, but rest assured that I have some controversial opinions on whether or not he undercut K. Leonard

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A specter is haunting Europe: the specter of traveling calls

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Shear Modulus posted:

A ghostly wail can be heard on the wind get that weak stuff out of here....

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

leftist heap posted:

It's gonna be pretty cool to see if a team consisting of Klay, Curry, Durant, Green and then literally 11 other guys on exempt contracts of some sort is a viable team. Assuming that none of those guys ends up elsewhere.

A team with 4 all-stars, 3 of whom are top 15 players in the league, would be viable even if the rest of the players were your local high school team. However, once contracts start getting re-signed, I have a feeling that they won't have at least one of those guys, and likely will have to lose two of them over the next few years, so it's a moot point anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I have here in my hand a list of 205 guards that were known to the Commissioner as being carriers and pivot foot changers who nevertheless are still getting superstar calls and getting to the foul line.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so, why did LMA only shoot 11 times last night? Warriors' game plan or is he too used to being passive now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

so, why did LMA only shoot 11 times last night? Warriors' game plan or is he too used to being passive now

he only played 26 minutes but also everyone on the spurs was phoning it in (except jonathan simmons who is earning himself a monster overpay contract in free agency)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The coward Zaza is now denying Spurs fans their inalienable right to boo the poo poo out of him in game 3 by goldbricking on his hurt foot.

Carlosologist posted:

Pop specifically called him out for "timidness" in his postgame.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it can't really be overstated how lovely the spurs played last night

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Cash Monet posted:

Do you not like laughing?

Lebron needs his Barkley. Durant must be sacrificed, for history.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

zoux posted:

The coward Zaza is now denying Spurs fans their inalienable right to boo the poo poo out of him in game 3 by goldbricking on his hurt foot.

Pop specifically called him out for "timidness" in his postgame.

Aldridge's response to that was horrible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

it can't really be overstated how lovely the spurs played last night

At least I got to go to bed early.

Bashez posted:

Aldridge's response to that was horrible.

Wha'd he say?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Declan MacManus posted:

I feel bad for Jaylen Brown because there's not really anything that can prepare you to guard Playoffs Lebron 1-on-1 and he's gonna get abused all night long

Crowder will get most of those duties I would think.

E: More players should adopt the onesie pajamas uniform with a front zipper that Castro was balling out of control in.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lma was focusing on his Blatant Attempts To Injure The Warriors. that takes a lot out of you

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

Here are some pics of Fidel Castro playing hoops, I don't know how 66th take has not used these yet.

playing in a track suit while everyone else is shirtless or in a normal bball uniform is a real power move imo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How many passes did you guys see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

I saw the gorilla quite clearly but I think it's because I purposely watch off-ball movement in the 100+ basketball games I watch every year. I was off by one on the total number of passes, though.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dokmo posted:

Here are some pics of Fidel Castro playing hoops, I don't know how 66th take has not used these yet.

I'm really enjoying these D&D/SAS cross over posts

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

late for parity-chat but is it the Players Association that is against getting rid of max contracts for players? It would probably hurt a fair number of the average players, but guys like Lebron and Durant are getting royally screwed out of a ton of money.

Also having watched the video going round of the full Lavar Ball segment which includes the lady insulting his parenting ability & Lonzo's character, I'm on his side. Plus he's funny and charismatic, sports needs good heels

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

late for parity-chat but is it the Players Association that is against getting rid of max contracts for players? It would probably hurt a fair number of the average players, but guys like Lebron and Durant are getting royally screwed out of a ton of money.

The max contract is entirely an owner-instituted thing and the players were adamantly opposed but the owners wanted to pay their players less so badly that they did the 98 lockout.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Also having watched the video going round of the full Lavar Ball segment which includes the lady insulting his parenting ability & Lonzo's character, I'm on his side. Plus he's funny and charismatic, sports needs good heels

Been saying for a while we need this type of villainy back

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

zoux posted:

Wha'd he say?

I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of "I can't wait for Kawhi to come back so I don't have to be the first option."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

SAS legend Joel Embiid continues to kill it

https://twitter.com/YaqHassan/status/864668003467747329

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I'm paraphrasing but it was along the lines of "I can't wait for Kawhi to come back so I don't have to be the first option."

Well, same.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This would make a good long av for someone

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

The max contract is entirely an owner-instituted thing and the players were adamantly opposed but the owners wanted to pay their players less so badly that they did the 98 lockout.

So long as there's a team cap why would owners care if there is a player cap?

Owners for small markets teams should like it because it would give them a chance to sign stars

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Max contracts inflate middle-class salaries and b-tier stars so there's not much incentive for players to fight it. Plus dudes like this were leading the players' brain trust during that CBA negotiation so they were bound to get screwed

quote:

Falk, who represented Howard, Mourning, Patrick Ewing, Dikembe Mutombo, Elton Brand and other stars, said he proposed a solution to Stern many years ago. But his idea of a two-tiered pool for player salaries never went anywhere, in part because it would've further divided a players' union in which different classes have always had different priorities.

"When you go to the airport, is everybody in the same union?" Falk said. "There's a pilots union, a mechanics union, a baggage handlers union. If I were 40 years old, I would try to start my own union with the top 40 players and I'd go to the league with no maxes and make a deal with Adam Silver. Those 40 guys are what make the TV money go.

"Then I'd say [to the NBPA], you represent the other 400 guys," Falk said. "I'd love to have your guys, but if not, I'll get guys from the D-League, from high school, from Europe. Your guys are better, but they're slightly better. Then you explain to the 400 players that unless they agree that LeBron is not going to be capped, he's going to create his own league and you're not going to be in it."

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

The max contract really has no bearing on how much the owners pay the players as a whole (that's the BRI calculation), it only affects the guys at the top. The owners obviously want to pay the players less (every owner in every business wants to do that), but the max contract has nothing to do with that. IIRC, the max contract was a response to MJ getting $38mil a year one year contracts, and they didn't want it to get out of hand, which it was starting to.

For everyone who thinks parity can somehow be achieved by getting rid of the max contract and letting teams sign Lebron to a $75mil/yr deal, just think of 2009 Dwight Howard getting that same contract (he definitely would have at that time), and imagine the albatross that would be when you have post 2009 Dwight Howard on your team for 75% of your cap. A team makes one very reasonable mistake (Dwight was a top 3 player in the league at the time, and very young) and they're completely screwed. Like, completely. For a long time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Man earlier she really did imply that Lavar is out here abusing his kids because Lonzo isn't all that talkative.

Yeah gently caress that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

morestuff posted:

Max contracts inflate middle-class salaries and b-tier stars so there's not much incentive for players to fight it. Plus dudes like this were leading the players' brain trust during that CBA negotiation so they were bound to get screwed

They do, but without max salaries I don't think you'd have an economy of 50 million dollar guys and minimum and nothing inbetween. There are a select few players who should command cap-busting prices and if too many guys are getting big contracts you could easily field a team by offering the 30th-40th best guys 8 million each and likely have the best team in the league. I think you'd get a better variety of salaries instead of todays market which is locked in tiers. You are right though, no max salaries means more money at the top, less for everyone else.

Falk's idea is dumb though because how on earth do you differentiate the 38th best player from the 48th?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

He is gonna get it done by end of summer. Dude ingratiated himself with noted Magic last night.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Falk's idea is dumb though because how on earth do you differentiate the 38th best player from the 48th?

1v1 tournament.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

They do, but without max salaries I don't think you'd have an economy of 50 million dollar guys and minimum and nothing inbetween. There are a select few players who should command cap-busting prices and if too many guys are getting big contracts you could easily field a team by offering the 30th-40th best guys 8 million each and likely have the best team in the league. I think you'd get a better variety of salaries instead of todays market which is locked in tiers. You are right though, no max salaries means more money at the top, less for everyone else.

Just consult the Bill Simmons pyramid, duh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

So long as there's a team cap why would owners care if there is a player cap?

Owners for small markets teams should like it because it would give them a chance to sign stars

Considering the point of the designated supermax was supposed to keep their stars and the Kings and now possibly Pacers will lose them, I don't think this theory works out. Small market teams that were afraid before to pay won't suddenly want to pay now. The anti-Lebron Heat CBA ended up hurting OKC way more than the Heat.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Tae posted:

Considering the point of the designated supermax was supposed to keep their stars and the Kings and now possibly Pacers will lose them, I don't think this theory works out. Small market teams that were afraid before to pay won't suddenly want to pay now. The anti-Lebron Heat CBA ended up hurting OKC way more than the Heat.

Cousins likely would have stayed if they offered him the megamax, it was their choice to trade him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

It is funny that OKC so strongly backed the deal because they thought that the Lakers, Knicks and Heat would just be an infinite luxury tax payer and that would line their pockets, and didn't consider what would happen when these teams got old or too bad to pay luxury tax if they wanted to, and that OKC wouldn't be eligible for the revenue sharing anyway due to having three potential max players.

• Locked thread