Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

When I had to choose my baptism saint, it was between him and Francis de Sales. I went with the shitposter option.

Does everybody have a baptism saint? How can I find out which one?

E: or is this only for people whose baptism name is different from the one they normally use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Anti-clerical art is really loving good imo

I wanna know more about, uh, "clerical" art though, i.e. art where clergymen and -women are portrayed as badass as possible. All I can think of right now is this:

but surely there must be more

All I can think of is Battle Pope and Warrior Nun Areala.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

pidan posted:

Does everybody have a baptism saint? How can I find out which one?

E: or is this only for people whose baptism name is different from the one they normally use?

Mines different, so maybe yes?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

do you know about any Chinese Investiture Controversies?

Prior to the CCP the Qing occasionally banned Catholicism, but I'm not aware of any attempts to coopt or formally control it like that.

Apparently the CPCA bishops are considered validly ordained but illegitimate, however that works.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Tias posted:

So I'm finally going to school again, what saints are good for students?

Don Bosco, patron of delinquents https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bosco

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is patron to magicians as well, eh? I like!

So, I was in Copenhagens( catholic) church of the Sacrament today, for a baptism. It was hella rad, we sang, asked for the intercession of Joseph, and the priest anointed the baby even though he usually doesn't because he thought a kid that awesome needed an extra boost :3:

I'll see if I can get hold of the photographer, it really is a pretty church.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Tias posted:

Is patron to magicians as well, eh? I like!

If you want the full magician treatment, you cannot go wrong with St. Cyprian of Antiochia. Dude was a full-on pagan mage initiated in many mystery cults and had quite a lot of street-cred - until he tried his love magic on a Christian virgin 8Justina) who destroyed all of his spells with the sign of the cross.

Cyprian went "Wow, this god has the best mojo!", converted to christianity and now used his Christian magic to win magical duels with pagan court wizards and convert their bosses. He ended up a martyr, together with Justina, and is now venerated as a helper against demons+magic - but also as a patron of Christian esotericists.

Also St. Columba of iona was basically Gandalf. Stuff he did in his hagiography (quote from here):
"-Remoted viewed events in Ireland and telepathically influenced them.
-Prophesied local events immediately before they happened.
-Banished all snakes from Iona. (Popular power, that one.)
-Could foresee others' deaths and predicted his own.
-Controlled the weather.
-Banished plague.
-Cursed people and caused ships to sink.
-Saved a marriage by praying for a wife to love and have sex with her husband.
-Raised people from the dead. (Saint Oram in particular.)
-Healed the sick.
-Beat druids in magical combat.
-Spoke with angels.
-Shrivelled the hand of a monk who provided shelter to his murderous lover.
-Was told of "the secret things that have been hidden since the world began."
-Fought with demons seeking to take souls.
-Opened locked gates and buildings with the sign of the cross."

Edit: Added Columba!

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 16, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
drat, Columba is wicked, yo.

E: and thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm going to order some wood prints if I can find any, failing that, I will make my own.

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 16, 2017

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Tias posted:

So I'm finally going to school again, what saints are good for students?

I would go with St. Januarius, Patron of Volcanic Eruptions. Not that that has any direct relation to schoolwork, but then it never hurts to have the guy with the volcanos at your back, whatever the circumstance.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
help, Protestantism seems terribly boring we don't have any cool saints or esoteric traditions

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, I almost forgot to mention something interesting in this thread! There was a hilarious clusterfuck in Serbia last week, regarding Creationism.

Our government received a petition asking for the theory of evolution to be removed from schools, and replaced with Creationism, because Darwinism is "a product of atheist globalism, promoted by influential atheists and globalists" and so on.

Other than the outcry from the scientific community you'd expect in the circumstances, it also caused the Orthodox Theology Faculty in Belgrade to stir from its slumber, and lash out with a reply that was basically a slightly more polite version of "The theory of evolution is the currently accepted scientific theory about the history of how life developed, Creationism is an American heresy that should gently caress off to hell." :v:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

my dad posted:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention something interesting in this thread! There was a hilarious clusterfuck in Serbia last week, regarding Creationism.

Our government received a petition asking for the theory of evolution to be removed from schools, and replaced with Creationism, because Darwinism is "a product of atheist globalism, promoted by influential atheists and globalists" and so on.

Other than the outcry from the scientific community you'd expect in the circumstances, it also caused the Orthodox Theology Faculty in Belgrade to stir from its slumber, and lash out with a reply that was basically a slightly more polite version of "The theory of evolution is the currently accepted scientific theory about the history of how life developed, Creationism is an American heresy that should gently caress off to hell." :v:

Did they use the word heresy? If so :rock:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If Hey Gail is to be believed the impression I get is that maintaining an entire faculty of Orthodox theologians has to qualify as immanentizing the eschaton or something. I cannot imagine people having a happier time than arguing theology all day.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Did they use the word heresy? If so :rock:

Sadly, no, they went with a more polite "theologically unfounded". :sigh: Such a missed opportunity.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
america is heresy qtiyd

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Pellisworth posted:

help, Protestantism seems terribly boring we don't have any cool saints or esoteric traditions

Snake handling isn't good enough for you?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

We have some really weird Christmas and Easter paegants, in my experience.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

america is heresy qtiyd

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Pellisworth posted:

america is heresy qtiyd

Americanism, gently caress yeah! Condemned by Leo XIII in no uncertain terms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americanism_(heresy)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

there's an Orthodox Theology Faculty in Belgrade? what does it do with its time when not harrumphing about creationism?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 17, 2017

Heinous Anus
Oct 12, 2016

Pellisworth posted:

america is heresy qtiyd

:yeah:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worthleast posted:

boy the holy see did not give a poo poo about american anti-catholic sentiment huh

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
*Alex Jones impression*

GHLOBHALISTS

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Worthleast posted:

I think I'll have to read something about Americanism instead that wasn't obviously written by a red-blooded American with one hand

quote:

continental conservative Europeans, angered at the heavy attacks on the Catholic church in Germany, France and other countries, did not appreciate the active individualism, self-confidence, and optimism of the Church in America

quote:

Not unnaturally, they looked for inspiration to America. There they saw a vigorous Church among a free people, with priests publicly respected, and with a note of aggressive zeal in every project of Catholic enterprise.

:911:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I think I'll have to read something about Americanism instead that wasn't obviously written by a red-blooded American with one hand
:911:
you're just mad i keep posting at you about guns and democracy

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

you're just mad i keep posting at you about guns and democracy

but enough about the dutch

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

We have some really weird Christmas and Easter paegants, in my experience.

Oh trust me, I'm very familiar with all that. Bible Camp summers, Christ-rock concerts with Assemblies of God kids. Methodist Sunday school. My immediate family is super progressive and awesome and mostly Anglican / Methodist / Lutheran ("mainstream" US Protestantism), the community that I grew up in was a mix of Lakota syncretism for tribal members and a whole lot of evangelical Protestantism among the whites.

My experience with Assemblies of God was really weird and uncomfortable and lead to me turning towards more liturgy and tradition. They're a Pentecostal / Charismatic, American Evangelical group and things like regular speaking in tongues and what I can only describe as prayer orgies were deeply uncomfortable for me. Prayer is a personal thing, even if you're being lead in prayer by your priest it's still immediately personal.

Maybe I'm just a goon. :smuggo:

edit: I'm not intending to dunk on Charismatic Christianity other than that prosperity gospel and the just-world fallacy are poo poo, heretical, and abhorrent. For me personally, interacting with Charismatic Christianity was crashing into a brick wall where I realized it was utterly not my thing.

edit2: Dear Cythereal, come at me. I won so many Bible verse memorization contests at summer camp. You best back off. (I'm serious, but not going after you)
Memorizing verses is not terribly productive for grade schoolers, imo.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 17, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

edit2: Dear Cythereal, come at me. I won so many Bible verse memorization contests at summer camp. You best back off. (I'm serious, but not going after you)
Memorizing verses is not terribly productive for grade schoolers, imo.

I was in Awanas and was on our Bible Drill competition team at SBC regional competitions.

I still have my old drill Bible with Obadiah creased.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Baptist School had weekly verse memorization, but thankfully I avoided all contact with the church youth groups and any Bible drilling.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Senju Kannon posted:

boy the holy see did not give a poo poo about american anti-catholic sentiment huh

I Know-Nothing about it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

Baptist School had weekly verse memorization, but thankfully I avoided all contact with the church youth groups and any Bible drilling.

I've only ever heard of Muslim kids going to Koran recital contest, and it never even occurred to me that this might have a Bible equivalent.

The only thing we had to memorise in child religious education were some liturgical texts and a song called "laudato si", which sounds a little bit like a bad word in German. I really dislike that song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANG7EQJITj8

(warning: bad)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cythereal posted:

I was in Awanas and was on our Bible Drill competition team at SBC regional competitions.

OMG, nobody ever believes me that awanas was a real thing!

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I still remember how in third grade a Sister (I think it was Sister Dolorata, whose strict demeanour and glass eye had us all quaking in our boots, but after 21 years I'm not sure anymore) came into the class room, either for filling in for a sick teacher or for the preparation classes for First Communion? And the first thing she did after receiving our greetings was demanding that we all recite the Lord's Prayer, so that she could see if we all knew its text :v:

Otherwise I occasionally still stumble over responses during Mass that I don't know, even after decades of going to Church. Just the other day I sang at a May devotional in a pilgrimage church (carrying the imo absolutely beautiful name “Mary of the Pear Tree“, btw) and towards the end the priest led the congregation in a Latin call-and-response prayer where apparently everybody knew the words by heart, including my grandma who was also present, and afterwards they sang the Tantum Ergo by heart, too, while I had to look the text up and felt like a total noob :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cis autodrag posted:

OMG, nobody ever believes me that awanas was a real thing!

Oh, it is. I was one of only two kids at the entire church to ever make it to Climber level. :v:

I'm actually spending some time on my day off of work today researching Christian theologians, doing research for a fantasy story idea that a coworker of mine who's a published author is encouraging me to turn into a book. Premise is that the protagonist's kingdom were once slaves of various mythical monsters and worshiped them as gods, but upon discovering gunpowder (and, paging Hegel, using pike-and-shot tactics) was able to slay them. The protagonist subscribes to a spiritual movement in the nation that, having slain the all too mortal creatures they once worshiped as gods, have begun looking for real divinity and so I'm trying to take some inspiration from Christian thinking without making it obvious that's what I'm doing. The core idea I'm playing with is that this movement has decided that if there is a real divine, then it can't be something that would demand worship and obedience - that in the presence and reality of true divinity, worship is the only natural response.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's odd that despite going to a state school in the UK I spent quite a lot of time in weekly assembly doing prayer and hymn singing. Also odd that it didn't really occur to me that it was particularly Christian.

I wonder what they do nowadays.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

protestant showdown! protestant showdown!
*bangs fists on table*

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

I still remember how in third grade a Sister (I think it was Sister Dolorata, whose strict demeanour and glass eye had us all quaking in our boots, but after 21 years I'm not sure anymore) came into the class room, either for filling in for a sick teacher or for the preparation classes for First Communion? And the first thing she did after receiving our greetings was demanding that we all recite the Lord's Prayer, so that she could see if we all knew its text :v:

Otherwise I occasionally still stumble over responses during Mass that I don't know, even after decades of going to Church. Just the other day I sang at a May devotional in a pilgrimage church (carrying the imo absolutely beautiful name “Mary of the Pear Tree“, btw) and towards the end the priest led the congregation in a Latin call-and-response prayer where apparently everybody knew the words by heart, including my grandma who was also present, and afterwards they sang the Tantum Ergo by heart, too, while I had to look the text up and felt like a total noob :(
since becoming orthodox i still stumble over some of the prayers in english

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pellisworth posted:

edit: I'm not intending to dunk on Charismatic Christianity other than that prosperity gospel and the just-world fallacy are poo poo, heretical, and abhorrent. For me personally, interacting with Charismatic Christianity was crashing into a brick wall where I realized it was utterly not my thing.

I was working with a Baptist dude the other day and he didn't believe me that the prosperity gospel was a real thing. I had to pull up the wikipedia page and show him because he refused to entertain it as something people would really believe. (we are in the UK)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Oh, it is. I was one of only two kids at the entire church to ever make it to Climber level. :v:

I'm actually spending some time on my day off of work today researching Christian theologians, doing research for a fantasy story idea that a coworker of mine who's a published author is encouraging me to turn into a book. Premise is that the protagonist's kingdom were once slaves of various mythical monsters and worshiped them as gods, but upon discovering gunpowder (and, paging Hegel, using pike-and-shot tactics) was able to slay them. The protagonist subscribes to a spiritual movement in the nation that, having slain the all too mortal creatures they once worshiped as gods, have begun looking for real divinity and so I'm trying to take some inspiration from Christian thinking without making it obvious that's what I'm doing. The core idea I'm playing with is that this movement has decided that if there is a real divine, then it can't be something that would demand worship and obedience - that in the presence and reality of true divinity, worship is the only natural response.
hi

if you're interested in exploring religious themes in your writing but not overtly proselytizing you should take a look at Gene Wolf's work. he's both devoutly Catholic and probably the best sfi-fi/fantasy writer working in English these days. Or it's head-to-head between him and Le Guin, but for different reasons--him for prose and plot, her for worldbuilding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be right about an interesting setting but you have a stronger stomach than me if you can bear to read about her magical hasubandoprotagonist.

• Locked thread