Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
As a lalafell's life should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Freak Futanari posted:

My life is a nonstop smorgasbord of pain and indignity

You gotta stab a potato before you bake it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Freak Futanari posted:

My life is a nonstop smorgasbord of pain and indignity

I mean, nobody *forced* you to roll a potato. :shrug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Good taste did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I thought Square-Enix assigned people potatohood randomly when they create an account. Are you saying that people pick lalafell WILLINGLY?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Actually, i got the Mini debuff when fighting Greg once, and it never wore off. White Mages hate it

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

ImpAtom posted:

I thought Square-Enix assigned people potatohood randomly when they create an account. Are you saying that people pick lalafell WILLINGLY?

Lalafell own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Minfilia and Joseph, you people are sick monsters!

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Did an expert and didn't notice anything different, even though ping says I'm a fair amount higher. I was playing SCH, but testing on dummies, I can still double weave okay on DRG so I'm satisfied. One of my good friends and someone in my static plays from Japan, and his ping has gotten so much better that he can now double weave, so overall I guess I'm happy with the move.

The expert itself, though, was kind of weird. I don't usually find I have a super hard time with people I get in roulettes, but this time I had a respectful tank for the first time in a Sohm Al (hard). He had good gear and a mentor crown , so I doubt he was new or anything. The rest of the group was well geared too, but the tank refused to grab more than one group at a time. So, I started picking up the secondary groups and bringing them to him. And he started actively trying to avoid picking them up. He didn't say a word the whole time; never asked me to maybe slow down because he felt uncomfortable. Eventually, he's doing the whole dungeon in DPS stance (but refusing to use overpower) and being a bystander to me and the BLM basically destroying the whole place. He was sure to use tank stance for the bosses, though! I'm not sure if he wanted to prove a point or what, but the BLM and I were basically having none of that "tank's the leader" nonsense. Was actually pretty fun. For me, anyway. I guess the tank was miffed.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wonder if you'll even be able to transfer to one of the new EU servers they have set up. The lodestone posting seems to make a distinction between "new worlds" and "designated worlds" (low pop. worlds), and they went out of their way to disallow server transfers from Legacy servers to new servers back during the world transfer service's launch.

Might be cool if one of the new EU servers is a "legacy" server that can be transferred to, and the rest are restricted to only new characters.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ruta posted:

Did an expert and didn't notice anything different, even though ping says I'm a fair amount higher. I was playing SCH, but testing on dummies, I can still double weave okay on DRG so I'm satisfied. One of my good friends and someone in my static plays from Japan, and his ping has gotten so much better that he can now double weave, so overall I guess I'm happy with the move.

The expert itself, though, was kind of weird. I don't usually find I have a super hard time with people I get in roulettes, but this time I had a respectful tank for the first time in a Sohm Al (hard). He had good gear and a mentor crown , so I doubt he was new or anything. The rest of the group was well geared too, but the tank refused to grab more than one group at a time. So, I started picking up the secondary groups and bringing them to him. And he started actively trying to avoid picking them up. He didn't say a word the whole time; never asked me to maybe slow down because he felt uncomfortable. Eventually, he's doing the whole dungeon in DPS stance (but refusing to use overpower) and being a bystander to me and the BLM basically destroying the whole place. He was sure to use tank stance for the bosses, though! I'm not sure if he wanted to prove a point or what, but the BLM and I were basically having none of that "tank's the leader" nonsense. Was actually pretty fun. For me, anyway. I guess the tank was miffed.

It's amazing what you can do when your packets aren't being routed into Narnia.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zerilan posted:

What's the pricing like for mudfish? I saw that it was pay per traffic but I don't know really how much data MMOs really use up.

I paid 2.99 in November of last year. I have 1.40 left remaining balance. FFXIV uses barely any data at all.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah from what i hear ffxiv is playable on a cell phone hotspot with a data plan as long as you have patches downloaded already.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jinh posted:

Yeah from what i hear ffxiv is playable on a cell phone hotspot with a data plan as long as you have patches downloaded already.

You can do a lot of stuff on a cell phone hotspot! When we lost internet for a week after Hurricane Matthew, I was able to play Overwatch quite handily over Verizon LTE.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jinh posted:

I've done it. More dropped packets than wired, but not bad overall. Have done savage raiding on my phone when comcast goes down.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Yeah, when I was without internet last year, I was able to play on a mobile connection with a 50 MB data cap. It wasn't ideal, but it worked well enough.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Where can I find the IPs for the servers/data centers?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Note Block posted:

When I connected to Excalibur it was at 204.2.229.108

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Still testing my new connection from EU.

Ping still varying wildly but that's not too strange for my connection.

I ran Titan and it went very smoothly, hardly any difference.

Ran exdr directly after it and had MAJOR lag, d/cing several times until I eventually gave up and left.

I'm still not fully convinced it's related to my ping and more just my terrible isp but it's been a long time since I've d/ced in a dungeon.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Once I'm done with the HW MSQ, what would you guys say is a good set of dailies to focus on? There's so much stuff now that it's making my head spin. Just off the top of my head -
Duty Roulette
Beast Tribe quests
Retainer ventures
Golden Saucer stuff (triple triad and LoV)
Squadron Missions (haven't done these yet, but they sound cool)
FATES, (I still haven't done Odin yet)
Grand Company supply and provisioning missions.... (can the market prohibited dungeon drops still be used for these? I never know whether to roll pass or greed on drops)
I also wanna start on my anima weapon quests cause I want that glamour and 275 weapon.

My battle chocobro is still only lvl 7. Is FATE grinding the best way to level him up post-MSQ? Should I just onion for 7-10? I've put all my skills into the DPS line, but what should I do for 10-20?

I'm trying to stay focused, but there's just so much stuff

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Retainer Ventures, Golden Saucer Cactpot scratch offs and Squadrons should all be done every day because that's like 10 minutes of time total. Since we are so close to the end of the expansion effectively nothing matters so just do whatever tickles your fancy. I would say be sure to finish the 2 raid storylines now though. Oh and get the Vanu and Gnath beast tribe reps to max, they are a decent source of scaling experience. At least for now, don't know if that will continue into stormblood but they will be good to have done if you decide to level something else later on.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Note Block posted:

The lobby servers should give you a good enough point to MTR/ping: 204.2.229.9 204.2.229.10

When I connected to Leviathan last night it was via 204.2.229.100

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Valicious posted:

Once I'm done with the HW MSQ, what would you guys say is a good set of dailies to focus on? There's so much stuff now that it's making my head spin. Just off the top of my head -

I'm trying to stay focused, but there's just so much stuff

Duty roulettes are good, just to fill out your gear with lore and scripture items. Just do the ones with the rewards you want, and you should cap easily every week.

Squadron Missions open a new GC rank for you, with new unlocks. This may be expanded upon again so it's not a bad idea. A couple minutes a day.
Retainer ventures are good. You can get rare or tedious materials from them, for only a few minutes a day again.
ARR best tribes are an easy access to grade 4 materia. This was good in Heavensward, but might be completely replaced with grade 5. Both sets of tribes also had good access to anima weapon materials (unidentified items). I'd see the trend continuing and adding features to them in stormblood. It would take a while to do from scratch, but it's a decent time killer if you're waiting for queues.

If the Gold Saucer stuff sounds interesting, go for them. If not, skip them. I just play the cactpots.
The grand company supply missions are just kinda there. Greed on everything you can to turn in for seals, and use them to level crafters etc. Right now it's only the highest tiers of raid gear you can't turn in (Dun Scaith for sure, probably creator). Everything else is free seals.

I don't think you'll be able to casually do an anima weapon before stormblood. It took me a decent investment of 3 weeks, and I had all the beast tribe and crystal sand stuff ready to go. Still took a couple minor hellgrinds for the lore and light. Go ahead if you want, but I wouldn't want to burn out this close to the expansion. There are other weapons available that are easier and will last you into Stormblood.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 17, 2017

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

ruta posted:

The fact that he wasn't pulling the secondary groups was the sign that he was uncomfortable with more. Especially if he deliberately avoided picking up mobs that you pulled.

The common saying for tanks in the situation where other party members insist on trying to do their job for them by pulling mobs they don't want is 'you pull it, you tank it'.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

i poop fire posted:

The lobby servers should give you a good enough point to MTR/ping: 204.2.229.9 204.2.229.10

When I connected to Leviathan last night it was via 204.2.229.100

Thanks!

204.2.229.9 gives me 40ms and 204.2.229.10 gives me 49ms. I live in Orange County, CA and play on the Ultros server.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Tildryn posted:

The fact that he wasn't pulling the secondary groups was the sign that he was uncomfortable with more. Especially if he deliberately avoided picking up mobs that you pulled.

The common saying for tanks in the situation where other party members insist on trying to do their job for them by pulling mobs they don't want is 'you pull it, you tank it'.

And we did! If you've got gear that good and aren't comfortable tanking things BLMs and SCHs can tank then maybe you shouldn't queue expert!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've never seen a genuinely good player with a mentor crown. Always slackers

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

please knock Mom! posted:

Excluding fellow goons, of course.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Excluding fellow goons, of course.

Yeah, they wear a different badge of shame.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I forgot to save it the last time someone sent it to me, does anyone have the picture of Odin where he has the <Jo Crystal> name

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

Well yeah, the good players use the RP tag. Hopefully we will get an RP Mentor tag in 4.0

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Quick and dirty mudfish guide.

Step 1 - install mudfish.

Step 2 - run mudfish as administrator. Click through any networking boxes that pop up as it sets up the VPN. It should pop up the mudfish control panel in your default browser. If not, right click on the mudfish icon in your system tray and click "Open Dashboard"

Step 3 - Click items on the left and equip item. Find FFXIV on the list, click it, then click equip. Now back on the dashboard it should list FFXIV under my items. Click it to enter setup.

Step 4 - Click setup and scroll down to "today's paths." If it hasn't been recalculated in the last couple hours, click on the spot that it says to see the full list and then recalculate. Otherwise just click the little arrow icon at the end of one of the fastest routing paths that are selected. It will pick that server, and then click save in the bottom left.

From here just check your realtime RTT on the status board. If it's in the ballpark you want, just launch your game now and play.

Once you have it installed, all you have to do is repeat step 4 next time you launch it.

Looks like I'm getting 70ms from Florida now via Mudfish.

I live in Albuquerque, NM, and it looks like I went from 59ms to 53-57ms avg ping. Yeehaw....
I have advanced setup turned on, and the nodes set to US West (Los Angeles - Vivid) → US West (Fremont, CA - KLAYER). Does that mean it's going from me to LA to Fremont to game?
What does RTT std. mean?
Why am I getting practically zero ping decrease? I'm on comcast business btw and connecting via wifi.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Valicious posted:

I live in Albuquerque, NM, and it looks like I went from 59ms to 53-57ms avg ping. Yeehaw....
I have advanced setup turned on, and the nodes set to US West (Los Angeles - Vivid) → US West (Fremont, CA - KLAYER). Does that mean it's going from me to LA to Fremont to game?
What does RTT std. mean?
Why am I getting practically zero ping decrease? I'm on comcast business btw and connecting via wifi.

Mudfish isn't necessarily about ping reduction. In your particular case, you have a great connection already. Mudfish hasn't ever been for major ping reduction for me, but drastically helped to reduce packet loss. Try playing with it on for a while and then try playing with it off and see if there's a difference.

Yes that routing path you are using is going through two nodes because that jump happens to be the fastest at the moment.

Also don't connect via wifi if you can. Try to plug in directly. But honestly you're probably not going to see a massive ping reduction below what you have now because you're already pretty close relatively speaking and have a solid connection.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Valicious posted:

What does RTT std. mean?

Because you already have a decent connection, and there's not much wiggle room there.

I mean, your packet is moving about 5x slower than the speed of light, so you could theoretically get about 40ms reduction, but you have to account for the time for routers to do their thing.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mudfish isn't necessarily about ping reduction. In your particular case, you have a great connection already. Mudfish hasn't ever been for major ping reduction for me, but drastically helped to reduce packet loss. Try playing with it on for a while and then try playing with it off and see if there's a difference.

Yes that routing path you are using is going through two nodes because that jump happens to be the fastest at the moment.

Also don't connect via wifi if you can. Try to plug in directly. But honestly you're probably not going to see a massive ping reduction below what you have now because you're already pretty close relatively speaking and have a solid connection.

hahAHAHa...Sorry, you just called my connection *great*
Comcast is a piece of poo poo, and their business service is even worse. We've had no end of issues, and our connection goes out multiple times every day. We are IP banned from PSN and craigslist of all places. We fixed this by replacing the modem/router, then the connection went out three days later, and we were blocked again. Support literally said "I think there's a setting somewhere to change your IP, try and find it" then hung up.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Uuhhh....was anyone else just kicked and now getting "unable to obtain character"?

Edit: just me apparently. Weird.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Got home and able to test connection. About 110 whether or not I'm using mudfish, living near WVU.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Got home and able to test connection. About 110 whether or not I'm using mudfish, living near WVU.
Wow how much were you getting to the old server? I wouldn't have expected my route from Charleston would be that much better, I'm at 80 via Chicago

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Valicious posted:

hahAHAHa...Sorry, you just called my connection *great*
Comcast is a piece of poo poo, and their business service is even worse. We've had no end of issues, and our connection goes out multiple times every day. We are IP banned from PSN and craigslist of all places. We fixed this by replacing the modem/router, then the connection went out three days later, and we were blocked again. Support literally said "I think there's a setting somewhere to change your IP, try and find it" then hung up.

Is this at your work? Did you try uninstalling all the Russian ddos repeaters off the management's personal laptops?

(speaking from horrible personal experience)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Can't say I can really tell a difference between 100-180ms and 25ms. Just glad to be back.

• Locked thread