Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Awakening is super easy compared to FE7 or Sacred Stones even on hard, and Fates does a better job of balancing the difficulty, especially Conquest. Both have pretty good characters, but yeah Fates' plot is really offensively bad. Also Corrin is breathtakingly dumb, not just typical FE lord naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Tae posted:

Olivia is literally from the same game and no one cares about her.

she's popular...ish

people just nowadays prefer their anime girls potentially murderous and obsessive over the MC. Like how Camilla's and Faye's popular.

(what's the recommended IV for Hana?)

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 17, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

Olivia is literally from the same game and no one cares about her.

A new game is coming out this friday.

All other things being equal Olivia is not very booby

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know if this will actually help anyone, but you can complete the sacred seals quests in the voting gauntlet(and presumably arena)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TheKingofSprings posted:

All other things being equal Olivia is not very booby

About as booby as Tharja. No one is "big" in awakening, especially compared to Fates.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I've had some thoughts on making Alfonse not garbage.

He actually has a decent kit beneath him because his defense and attack are both really quite good and he has decent HP. But he's destroyed by how terrible his speed is. The question is with skill inheritance, how do you make him okay on a budget?

So first thought is to leverage that his base attack is 51 and that he'd kill a bunch of things if he attacked twice.

So we need to ensure he survives being hit by the highest damage builds in the game. Broadly this is going to be a LnD Lucina or something like a Fury Ryoma.

Fury 2 is cheap and gives him enough tank to survive a Neutral LnD Lucina not running a proc. (55 attack hits on 34 def twice for 21*2 = 42 damage, Alfonse runs 43 HP).

But of course (almost) every Lucina will run Moonbow. So to counter that Al needs to run Estucheon (which is expensive) as his proc, since the 30% damage variances basically cancel one another. (Not quite, the maths is weird, but close enough).

We then give him Quick Riposte 2 from one of the thousand Subakis we have and he doubles in response to kill any red attacker running into him (Bar Hanagoon's Hana). Additionally he then goes into rage mode himself and hits for a base attack of 58 which is nothing to be sneezed at.

So I think something like Alfonse@Fury 2/Quick Riposte 2/Hone/Utility/Estucheon provides you with at least a little utility to our man.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, Alphonse sucks and every single other red sword is better, partly because of his speed, but mostly because he has unremarkable everything and isn't a falchion user; at best he is "decent". Worst of all you can't even TurboHana him by giving him a fuckton of +1s and doing some analysis on the best IVs for him.

Save the feathers, bro, and have fun loving with a different swordlord. Or perhaps a spearlady named Sharena???

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

jokes posted:

Well, Alphonse sucks and every single other red sword is better, partly because of his speed, but mostly because he has unremarkable everything and isn't a falchion user; at best he is "decent". Worst of all you can't even TurboHana him by giving him a fuckton of +1s and doing some analysis on the best IVs for him.

Save the feathers, bro, and have fun loving with a different swordlord. Or perhaps a spearlady named Sharena???

I have a 5* Anna and a 5* Sharena. The reason I'm doing this with Alfonse is because he's a reliable arena bonus unit, unlike every other swordlord in the game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Elyv posted:

I don't have Horse Emblem(although I do have all the components except Reinhardt), but it looks to me like one of the things about it is buff stacking and buff stacking is much better with blade tomes.

I guess what I'm struggling with is who would get what cav buff. For Horse Emblem, here's who I have ready/semi-ready:

Ursula- already inherited a Blarblade and New Moon. Kicks rear end, no complaints.

Reinhardt- already has Goad Cavs and is the perfect nature (+ak/-spd). Just needs to be promoted to 5* and I have a million units I want to do that to. He'll be next in line after:

Xander- already fed him Fortify Cav and Quick Riposte 3. He's getting promoted to 5* next.

Gunter- he exists purely for Hone Cav. He parks his rear end next to Ursula 24/7. He'd be the one I replace with Cecilia, probably.

Abel- no complaints about this guy. He has Death Blow 2 and a beneficial nature (+atk/-spd). He lacks a Cav buff but he could get one in theory. I gave him Hone Attack already to go on Team Nino, but he could get Hone Cav or something I guess?

So that would leave Cecilia having either Ward Cav and Gronnblade, or Gronnraven and Hone Cav and park her next to Ursula/Reinhardt.

Final Horse Emblem team then would be Reinhardt/Ursula, Xander, Gunter/Cecilia, Abel.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I've had some thoughts on making Alfonse not garbage.

[snip]

So I think something like Alfonse@Fury 2/Quick Riposte 2/Hone/Utility/Estucheon provides you with at least a little utility to our man.

He could get a Brave Sword too, maybe?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Alphonse is pretty much a worse Chrom, save for having a bit more Res and a decent A skill in Death Blow. Otherwise Chrom does everything better.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Silver Falcon posted:

He could get a Brave Sword too, maybe?

Eh maybe. If you're trying to avoid a 5* mulch on him then a straight Brave sword is +5 attack against his original weapon's +16 attack.

You'll get more damage on offense out of him, but you'll lose his response KOs with Quick riposte.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Why not just slap swordbreaker and ardent sacrifice onto him? It's not like you need every hero to oneshot everyone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I have a 5* Anna and a 5* Sharena. The reason I'm doing this with Alfonse is because he's a reliable arena bonus unit, unlike every other swordlord in the game.

Ah, I see. Well, poo poo man good luck. I'd probably just turn him into a big ol' buffing boy with a rally and a hone skill so he can boost a *blade user, or maybe drawback?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

jokes posted:

Ah, I see. Well, poo poo man good luck. I'd probably just turn him into a big ol' buffing boy with a rally and a hone skill so he can boost a *blade user, or maybe drawback?

Yeah, you can turn him into a decent buff bot. In fact what you said isn't exclusive to my build since he doesn't have a support or C ability.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well he comes with spur atk but that's a very useless skill.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
spur skills might be useful somehow someday

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
who are the best anti-reinhardt heroes? i hate him a whole lot

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
F!Robin

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

spur skills might be useful somehow someday

I like stacking rally attack and spur attack on the same person for +8

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I personally prefer giving my tanks "Threaten Attack" because I had a stupid amount of Azamas, but I did not realize that the "Spur" skills were so bad.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Lovechop posted:

Any green mage with triangle adept or something similar. Or you get lucky with map setup and are free to dance any unit right up into his face before he can hit you I guess, especially if he has a dancer too.

I prefer Olwen over him, his tiny hands creep me out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lovechop posted:

My Nino (preferably with a res boost) laughs at Reinhardt all day. His sister too.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lovechop posted:

Julia, FRobin, Anna, Sheena, maybe some nonstandard natured Ninos in around that order. You can also give a reasonable cross-section of greens TA and they'll handle him.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lovechop posted:

Julia is probably the absolute best anti-Reinhardt hero since her res is so insane there's absolutely no chance she'll die to him but Nino's done the job for me, although she does take a beating from him. Basically, you want a ranged hero that can survive his burst and counterkill him.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Just ran into an MRobin on Team Robin using Blarwolf.

I don't even

what

(Reinhardt still ground him into paste)

(go Team Tharja)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The prominence of Reinhardt is making me rethink LaD on my Julia tbh

She can still survive anything but the hone cavalry ones but I'm seeing more and more of those

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Lovechop posted:

Triangle Adept Cecilia is great, shrugs it off and kills him.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Rein is straight up hilarious.

Julia remains the only unit that scares my Arena team

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hey Andrast, did you end up promoting to 17 despite using a 4* Zephiel out of curiosity?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
thanks for the tips guys :) i'll try julia probably because my nino is pure paper

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Hey Andrast, did you end up promoting to 17 despite using a 4* Zephiel out of curiosity?

For what it's worth, last week I was tier 14 and with a silver Clarine, I went up 2 tiers and not far from 3 tiers. This week I'm using a silver 40+1 Shanna and had a death on my only run so far and my only defense win came with last week's bonus unit but right now I'm still advancing.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
So I guess the only real chance Robin has of winning is for Robin supporters to completely stop running missions, hope Tharja's side accidentally pushes Robin into the 3x range and hope that the better timing (Asia awake instead of asleep) results in a lot more points than before.

Otherwise whelp.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Shinji117 posted:

So I guess the only real chance Robin has of winning is for Robin supporters to completely stop running missions, hope Tharja's side accidentally pushes Robin into the 3x range and hope that the better timing (Asia awake instead of asleep) results in a lot more points than before.

Otherwise whelp.

I can't imagine many folks have flags left after the last 3x period either. Robin couldn't completely bridge the gap then and it'll be even wider if he gets another one.

Basically :rip: Robin

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So what makes Reinhardt so good? As it stands, he's really lovely compared to my 5* Linde-- is there a secret recipe of skills he needs?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

UHD posted:

I can't imagine many folks have flags left after the last 3x period either. Robin couldn't completely bridge the gap then and it'll be even wider if he gets another one.

Basically :rip: Robin

I dunno. Like, I'm in Australia and the 3x hit around 3-4 am. I was only awake cause essay panic for my management course so figured I'd have an alarm for every hour to check in. Had I been sleeping normally, I'd have 800 flags left waking up after having missed the moment rather than 400 saved in hopes of Tharja hubris. Same might apply to quite a number of players, who ended up sleeping through the bonus period. Anyone have any demographic info about which countries play the game the most?

Though I guess in waking up I might have just spent the flags in blind desperation rather than realising that a 1 in two hundred thousand and something shot might be possible. So eh. Not really hopeful, but will at least hold onto my last flags until the final hour just in case.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
judging from the fact that I keep getting this one Reinhardt, I'm pretty sure my entire friend list is team Tharja.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It looks really close to me on my screen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jokes posted:

So what makes Reinhardt so good? As it stands, he's really lovely compared to my 5* Linde-- is there a secret recipe of skills he needs?

deathblow, +atk, and attack buffs from your teammates (these are optional against most targets)

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

jokes posted:

+ATK Reinhardt with Deathblow 3 kills a lot. Give him a Hone Cavalry in a Horse Emblem team and suddenly almost nothing is safe.

Add to that 3 movement for extra lulz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Rascyc posted:

It looks really close to me on my screen.
It looks close, but it's a 600,000,000 ish gap. The ridiculous scores make it seem closer than it really is atm.