Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Xenomrph posted:

Well it can't be any worse than the CGI in Alien3, I mean come on

Hahaha. Anyone who says you're a bad poster is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
Due to precedent, I'd actually be surprised if the shots in questions weren't actually practical effects.

No disrespect or anything, it just seems to happen every time.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Shaocaholica posted:

So the alien only kills people if they pose a threat. Otherwise it will try to capture them? Or kill and eat? What does the extended universe say? Alien3 alien seemed to like to nibble on people but also killed quite a few unarmed english men.

Real answer: Whatever the writer/director wants.

My personal headcannon is still stuck in the old "the aliens are bioweapons created by the space jockeys" way of thinking. It makes sense that they're designed to be very efficient killers, so much so that sometimes that gets in the way of their life cycle. If not threatened or hungry they will certainly try to capture people, but that can end up with an impossibly strong razortaloned alien halfway succeeding in pulling a human through a much too small air duct.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Biomute posted:

Real answer: Whatever the writer/director wants.

My personal headcannon is still stuck in the old "the aliens are bioweapons created by the space jockeys" way of thinking. It makes sense that they're designed to be very efficient killers, so much so that sometimes that gets in the way of their life cycle. If not threatened or hungry they will certainly try to capture people, but that can end up with an impossibly strong razortaloned alien halfway succeeding in pulling a human through a much too small air duct.

Trying to use uncontrollable space demons as weapons has never made a lick of sense. It was just a plot device to have smirking corporate scum act malevolently.

AC was an ok film.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BeigeJacket posted:

Trying to use uncontrollable space demons as weapons has never made a lick of sense. It was just a plot device to have smirking corporate scum act malevolently.

I mean even Alien told you that because the jockey in the seat who is presumably supposed to be in some control over these bioweapons had his own chest bursted

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
They weren't weapons in Alien when taken out of context of the other movies though. The implication is that the aliens infected the jockey ship and caught them off guard. Then the same thing happens with the Nostromo crew.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Donnerberg posted:

They weren't weapons in Alien when taken out of context of the other movies though. The implication is that the aliens infected the jockey ship and caught them off guard. Then the same thing happens with the Nostromo crew.

And then just happened to lay their eggs in an exact grid and pattern in what looks like some kind of incubator? Face it, they were always bioweapons.

The other, funnier scenario, is if the xenomorphs were part of the jockeys' own lifecycle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 17, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well it can't be worse than Prometheus, right? Ridley already hit the bottom.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Well it can't be worse than Prometheus, right? Ridley already hit the bottom.

If the Merry Men actually had to fight xenomorphs, then the movie wouldn't be considered the bottom.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Like a Robin Hood vs Aliens movie? I have no idea what you are describing.

I just trying to grasp what you meant.

I found a better picture, and I hid an alien in it. Can you see it?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 17, 2017

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Researching the lifecycle of the Xenomorph could probably inform all sorts of horrific bioweapons without WY intending to straight up drop alien eggs on their opponents. The expanded universe, for better or worse, has just interpreted it that way. Aeronautical engineers have used the anatomy and behaviour of birds to make all sorts of improvements to planes without turning those planes into ornithopters.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I'm talking about Ridley Scott's Robin Hood war movie that flopped and no one really likes, as opposed to Prometheus which actually has fans and was not another attempt by him to repeat the success of Gladiator.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

repeat the success of Gladiator.

He'd be able to if they used the Gladiator sequel script

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

And then just happened to lay their eggs in an exact grid and pattern

They didnt. Watch the scene again theyre just kinda all over the place.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

The MSJ posted:

I'm talking about Ridley Scott's Robin Hood war movie that flopped and no one really likes, as opposed to Prometheus which actually has fans and was not another attempt by him to repeat the success of Gladiator.

The original script for that movie was really solid. Shame it got mulched along the way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BeigeJacket posted:

AC was an ok film.

Aliens make perfect sense as a bioweapon when you consider colonies as a thing. They' wouldn't be a threat on Earth (I don't care what the stupid comics say) but Hadley's Hope is a pretty great example of how an isolated colony would be a ripe breeding ground and all you'd need to do is smuggle in a few facehuggers. Which is utterly horrific but considering Burke was willing to write off an entire colony and thought it would get him a promotion appears to be an actual branch of their business.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

They didnt. Watch the scene again theyre just kinda all over the place.

I was gonna point this out, and it's a misconception that I see pretty often - the eggs in both 'Alien' and 'Aliens' are scattered very similarly.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Aliens make perfect sense as a bioweapon when you consider colonies as a thing. They' wouldn't be a threat on Earth (I don't care what the stupid comics say) but Hadley's Hope is a pretty great example of how an isolated colony would be a ripe breeding ground and all you'd need to do is smuggle in a few facehuggers. Which is utterly horrific but considering Burke was willing to write off an entire colony and thought it would get him a promotion appears to be an actual branch of their business.

And then you've got a colony full of rampaging monsters to deal with. If the intention is to take over the resources, or re-assert authority, it seems like an incredibly wasteful way to go about it. Its the future, I'm sure they've got some fancy toxins that could wipe out a few hundred/thousand irritants that would just turns their organs to paste or whatever. Hell, we've got that tech now.

As mentioned earlier, it was just a plot device from the first film - a reason for one of the crew members to act like a scallywag. I'm fine with that honestly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

I was gonna point this out, and it's a misconception that I see pretty often - the eggs in both 'Alien' and 'Aliens' are scattered very similarly.

That's interesting. In that shot it doesn't look so much like the eggs were laid, more like they were grown. Like they are the mushrooms/flowers sprouting from a mat of bio-mass. For all we know the ship could have been carrying black goo or something and whatever organic matter or passengers in that lower hold were egg-morphed.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
All of this dunking on Prometheus and how this movie is a failure just like it makes me want to see it even more.

I also like the idea of this movie somehow having really bad CGI.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I also like the idea of this movie somehow having really bad CGI.

And be talked about usurping Alien 3 at it too!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gorn Myson posted:

"Here are some pictures of some tie-in toys"

Not until next month.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Seeing it tonight. Only ever saw first Alien which is a really good movie, but I don't have any real "bond" to it as so many others seem to have. Expect I'll like this one well enough.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Xenomrph posted:

This shot stands out as having nothing to do with Prometheus since Ridley swapped the eggs for vases. I still like Prometheus. Whatever. I like where Prometheus and AC(hopefully) is going, continuity logic be dammed at this point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BigglesSWE posted:

Seeing it tonight. Only ever saw first Alien which is a really good movie, but I don't have any real "bond" to it as so many others seem to have. Expect I'll like this one well enough.

There are other good Alien movies that you should check out, as well. I hear the assembly cut of the third one is loving awesome.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kr8mAM5Dg

It's call creature effects people. Alien3 didn't have any CGI. Creature effects. Inclusive of CGI but not exclusively CGI.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 17, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Dan O'Bannon's story about seeing Alien for the first time is beautiful.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

What's funny is how film writers keep going back to the old let's-turn-it-into-a-weapon-bwahaha trope when the aliens' biology has far more promise in pharmaceuticals and biotech patents than weapons. But weapons research sounds so much more evil.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CelticPredator posted:

Dan O'Bannon's story about seeing Alien for the first time is beautiful.

Where can one read about that?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Alien Anthology Blu Ray set, the making of Alien.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How would a Xenomorph lay an egg anyway? Do they just spit them out? Or do Xenos squat like a pooping dog?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Leavemywife posted:

How would a Xenomorph lay an egg anyway? Do they just spit them out? Or do Xenos squat like a pooping dog?

Have you not watched the movies? It comes out the bum.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Facehugger eggs always seemed way too big. Like a bird egg will be pretty much 100% bird by the time it hatches, but alien eggs are these huge thick padded things with this little guy inside. Seems very material/space inefficient for the "perfect organism"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

The Queen lay sit from an egg sac, the non-queens apparently turn corpses into eggs.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Baronjutter posted:

Facehugger eggs always seemed way too big. Like a bird egg will be pretty much 100% bird by the time it hatches, but alien eggs are these huge thick padded things with this little guy inside. Seems very material/space inefficient for the "perfect organism"

They apparently can last for thousands of years and still have a living creature inside. That egg has to be tough.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

The Queen lay sit from an egg sac, the non-queens apparently turn corpses into eggs.

Incredibly, I didn't think about the Queen when I asked that question. :doh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The aliens should like run around with eggs attached to their shoulders or back and shoot out face huggers like rockets or mortars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Plavski posted:

They apparently can last for thousands of years and still have a living creature inside. That egg has to be tough.

That would make sense, most of the egg is actually more like a bio-tech stasis module and host-detector.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

And then just happened to lay their eggs in an exact grid and pattern in what looks like some kind of incubator? Face it, they were always bioweapons.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE adjusts his tinfoil hat and surveys his writing. "BEEHIVES ARE MAN-MADE", written in 2-foot high letters scrawled on the blackboard. It's missing something. Chuckling softly he underscores his grand work with two more words: "PERFECT HEXAGONS". He nods, smiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

The aliens should like run around with eggs attached to their shoulders or back and shoot out face huggers like rockets or mortars.

In the AvP Extinction RTS game, the Aliens have a unit that literally does this (and it's loving hilarious).