Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i realize that older generations bashing the newer generations has been a thing since time immemorial, but it really feels like it's more widespread, more unavoidable, and nastier regarding millenials. i don't wanna say we're the most shat-on generation ever but it feels like it

Clawtopsy posted:

I swear this guy says the same thing every other year. We got riled up about the same dumb comments a few years ago. "Stupid POORS, eat nothing but rice until you are a mogul, like me."
i think it was two years ago that some rear end in a top hat in australia used the exact same food as an example to tell people to stop living beyond their means, and it went over just as well there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

get that OUT of my face posted:

i realize that older generations bashing the newer generations has been a thing since time immemorial, but it really feels like it's more widespread, more unavoidable, and nastier regarding millenials. i don't wanna say we're the most shat-on generation ever but it feels like it

it's because boomers are the loving worst and won't leave this world until they've given as much misery as possible to the world.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
most people ime who use millenials disparagingly are either gen-xers or people in their 20s who think it means teenagers

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

really queer Christmas posted:

it's because boomers are the loving worst and won't leave this world until they've given as much misery as possible to the world.

We rightfully poo poo on Boomers a lot but I feel like the most hate for Millennials comes from Gen Xers who are even loving worse than the boomers

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
My Dad is 90 years old and grew up in the depression and he loves avocado, which he discovered earlier this year and still refers to as "Guacamole" no matter what form it is served in. Point being, everybody young and old can appreciate avocados. It's a generation spanning plant of deliciousness. We are all generation Guac.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KomradeX posted:

We rightfully poo poo on Boomers a lot but I feel like the most hate for Millennials comes from Gen Xers who are even loving worse than the boomers

It depends on the boomer. Hell even conservative boomers are sick of the banks loving over themselves, kids, and grandkids right now. They know something is up. I do think there are some millennials that deserve a thorough rear end kicking, but they're in the minority. Those are the nepotism types that we regularly mock in this thread.

It's not horrible per say to urge people to be fiscally responsible. Hell, it's something that a lot of people in this era are finding to be a necessity, not a choice. But it's just this constant "why are millenials not buying diamond rings/houses", etc that are just based almost on a "let them eat cake" mindset.

It's about class at this point in the country.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

probably also has to do with poo poo of all types being much easier to find this day and age due to the internet and social media

KomradeX posted:

gen x grew up during reagan and lean more right wing as a result, so people who say "let the boomers die out and everything will be solved" are dead loving wrong

fwiw my parents have increasingly become dnc-type dems in the past year or so, and especially since trump came in. they weren't always so shortsighted but i don't think there's a way back for them

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gen x grew up during reagan and lean more right wing as a result, so people who say "let the boomers die out and everything will be solved" are dead loving wrong

fwiw my parents have increasingly become dnc-type dems in the past year or so, and especially since trump came in. they weren't always so shortsighted but i don't think there's a way back for them

Exactly I was was arguing with this guy once about Reagan and how Iran-Contra was treason and he just said that doing that and the mass amount of crimes against humanity done I Central America in the 80s is just the price of Empire. And that of his generation hadn't robbed mine of the future we would have done the exact same things they did.

Fun story he's on loving disability and voted Trump

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'd be intrigued to see how "left" a lot of "conservative, blue collar, rural" types would be if pushed on it.

I think there are shitheads out there that sincerely want to gently caress over people here. But I also think there's a significant amount of people that are into the "invisible government" mindset.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

deadgoon posted:

when people say, "your background is different from mine, you have never experienced my particular species of pain, it is impossible for you to understand, there is no way for us to be equal parts of a common movement, you should either take a subservient role or stick to your own kind", that's identity politics, and it's real bad

Can you give me some examples of individuals or groups that advocate for this and aren't having their message disingenuously twisted by fascist idiots?

Like off the top of my head I can think of like, Hoteps. Or TERFs and SWERFs. But none of them are even remotely mainstream.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
blm started running into that from fringe idiots co-opting the movement to try and do whatever the gently caress with it, the problem there was since blm had no real leadership and was more just a movement of the masses there was nobody to say "these dipshits aren't part of us" so it became easy ammunition to find a dumbass who says stupid idpol poo poo and hashtags it blm and go "see they can't be reasoned with"

it's where idpol is most nefarious and at it's worst, is when it drags down legitimate, good movements with their stupid crap

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
as an aside it's why i really hoped the blm movement would have found some good leadership and become more organized because while a tide of the masses is a good starting off point you then need to focus that energy on a goal or outcome or else the whole thing gets fizzled out when people take it in a billion different directions

message control is a real thing and when you get people who start using the #blm hashtag to declare that white people need to be euthanized or whatever it weakens the movement as a whole when there's nobody to call them out for being a dumbass

like even the people who actually voted for trump in my workplace agree that cops have basically become paid criminals and that racist violence from them is a problem, but they're down on the blm movement because the message got muddied with a thousand contradicting ones

sword_man.gif has issued a correction as of 15:23 on May 17, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I'm on the side of BLM 100% but yeah stuff like Yusra Khogali of BLM Toronto saying Trudeau is a white supremacist is just shooting themselves in the foot; it may be technically true in an academic sense but no one in the general populace does anything but roll their eyes at that kind of rhetoric.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm on the side of BLM 100%

so am i and it's why the lack of leadership thing was frustrating

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Office Surprise Store posted:

so am i and it's why the lack of leadership thing was frustrating

I dunno why the founders and later luminaries like DeRay Mckesson or Shaun King didn't try to take greater control of the narrative there

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
search me. i wonder what blm could have accomplished if they'd been more organized and stuck to one or two major goals at a time.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

I dunno why the founders and later luminaries like DeRay Mckesson or Shaun King didn't try to take greater control of the narrative there

drm is too busy tweeting about taco bell and sk is just a journalist. I don't think there really was an oppertunity for anyone to "lead" BLM, you're gonna have to look to other groups for that kinda thing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Haven't a lot of the people who organized the Ferguson protests been turning up dead recently?

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Can you give me some examples of individuals or groups that advocate for this and aren't having their message disingenuously twisted by fascist idiots?

Like off the top of my head I can think of like, Hoteps. Or TERFs and SWERFs. But none of them are even remotely mainstream.

have u never seen a mainstream dem or self-identified lefist claim that finding common cause with a "deplorable" is impossible/counter-productive/unethical

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

probably also has to do with poo poo of all types being much easier to find this day and age due to the internet and social media

Yeah. loving Paul of Thebes is quoted talking about kids disrespecting their parents and women dressing too much like men.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

deadgoon posted:

have u never seen a mainstream dem or self-identified lefist claim that finding common cause with a "deplorable" is impossible/counter-productive/unethical

I mean sure it's one thing to say that about some coal miner who voted for Trump, it's another to say that you should break bread with some Nazi ninny. The trick is to be able to identify who's who, and react accordingly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

DeRay is busy raising awareness of the really fantastic deals at Subway

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lightning Lord posted:

I mean sure it's one thing to say that about some coal miner who voted for Trump, it's another to say that you should break bread with some Nazi ninny. The trick is to be able to identify who's who, and react accordingly.

the problem with the idpol people is that a coal miner who voted for trump is someone who heils six times a day

you're either 100% on board with them or a minority-stomping nazi with no middle group

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

DeRay is busy raising awareness of the really fantastic deals at Subway

https://twitter.com/deray/status/864879529885548544

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

leaderless decentralized movements are bullshit. as much as DSA has been swarmed by people on the left (for good reason, mind you), it suffers the same problem. some chapters are active while others are passive and don't know what to do

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

The sex negative feminism being pushed by the kids of evangelicals would be a good option. Telling adults they aren't allowed to consent to something they and their partner find enjoyable is straight out of Puritanism.

Also the people on journolist who were running organised campaigns to mob justice wrong think and silence what in their views were bad opinions. The absolute dearth of actual journalism nowis a direct result of these people pushing an activism before accuracy policy at a lot of the left publications. As a result we get places like the guardian and huffpo publishing pieces that the barest amount of fact checking would red flag.

Howard Dean claiming hate speech isn't covered under the first amendment.

People pulling their donations from the ACLU for supporting right wingers right to speech.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Office Surprise Store posted:

the problem with the idpol people is that a coal miner who voted for trump is someone who heils six times a day

you're either 100% on board with them or a minority-stomping nazi with no middle group

It's this sort of attitude of refusing to engage in conversation and talking down to people that handed Trump, the GOP, The entire country on a silver loving platter. When someone like Bernie strolls through West Virginia? He pulls that off with little to no effort. I've seen Kucinich get praise here locally for being honest and willing to TALK to his constituents. The right wing blowhard on the AM dial loves him for that.

You get a lot of these rich WASP Liberal women idiots from Brooklyn or What the gently caress have you that just scream "WHITE MEN NEED TO SHUT THE gently caress UP!" not realizing that, that EXACT attitude led to us getting Trump in the loving first place. They never put "power" into the equation so what we wind up getting i is rural, poor whites pissed off and having no place left to loving turn.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FuzzySkinner posted:

You get a lot of these rich WASP Liberal women idiots from Brooklyn or What the gently caress have you that just scream "WHITE MEN NEED TO SHUT THE gently caress UP!" not realizing that, that EXACT attitude led to us getting Trump in the loving first place. They never put "power" into the equation so what we wind up getting i is rural, poor whites pissed off and having no place left to loving turn.

But it makes them feel good about themselves and treating poor people like crap is way more important than winning elections :v:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

It's this sort of attitude of refusing to engage in conversation and talking down to people that handed Trump, the GOP, The entire country on a silver loving platter. When someone like Bernie strolls through West Virginia? He pulls that off with little to no effort. I've seen Kucinich get praise here locally for being honest and willing to TALK to his constituents. The right wing blowhard on the AM dial loves him for that.

Um, anybody that would vote for Trump after getting belittled and marginalized by the Clinton wing of dems was never a true ally in the first place. *loses every election forever*

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

But it makes them feel good about themselves and treating poor people like crap is way more important than winning elections :v:

I really do hope there's some bizarre "tea party"-like left wing invasion that kicks these poo poo heads out and leaves them having to run GOP in the future.

They already are for things like Charter Schools, deregulating wall street, free trade deals, pearl clutching over violent video games/music, supporting the CIA/NSA, saying "George W. Bush is better"/"NOT ALL REPUBLICANS" etc. Why the hell not?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FuzzySkinner posted:

I really do hope there's some bizarre "tea party"-like left wing invasion that kicks these poo poo heads out and leaves them having to run GOP in the future.

They already are for things like Charter Schools, deregulating wall street, free trade deals, pearl clutching over violent video games/music, supporting the CIA/NSA, saying "George W. Bush is better"/"NOT ALL REPUBLICANS" etc. Why the hell not?

Considering how radical US politics are becoming this is what I'm afraid of tbh. I don't want to see what comes after the twitter #woke are kicked off the stage. Sanity doesn't magically reassert itself, it has to be created and enforced by the group at large.

I'm worried enough people don't want that.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

HIJK posted:

Considering how radical US politics are becoming this is what I'm afraid of tbh. I don't want to see what comes after the twitter #woke are kicked off the stage. Sanity doesn't magically reassert itself, it has to be created and enforced by the group at large.

I'm worried enough people don't want that.

As dumb as it is i am fascinated to see where laci green ends up as she really is a canary in the coal mine for #wokes seeing wokery for what it really is.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Byolante posted:

As dumb as it is i am fascinated to see where laci green ends up as she really is a canary in the coal mine for #wokes seeing wokery for what it really is.

That was a bit of s surreal thing to see her do. Good for her though. I still think Kyle Kulknski's theory about "libertarian leftism v. authoritarian leftism" is a very accurate portrayal of the two sides in a lot of ways. I think Laci could actually make feminism more powerful of an idea if she does grow for what it's worth.

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/865028511693774849

Why do these people think this way?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

That was a bit of s surreal thing to see her do. Good for her though. I still think Kyle Kulknski's theory about "libertarian leftism v. authoritarian leftism" is a very accurate portrayal of the two sides in a lot of ways. I think Laci could actually make feminism more powerful of an idea if she does grow for what it's worth.

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/865028511693774849

Why do these people think this way?

It's not that they "think that way," it's that it's an easy way to silence and marginalize people whose identities intersect with their own but who have come to different conclusions. The people who make that bullshit argument featured in that tweet know full well that that they're spouting bullshit, but doing it lets them create the illusion of a 100% united front that can be used like a sledgehammer against other people they disagree with.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lightning Lord posted:

Boys Don't Cry was a groundbreaking transgender film that I saw recommended here years ago when I was first coming out. Now the director is under attack for absolutely loving absurd reasons, this is a good example of SJWs going totally wrong.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/09/leftist-students-shouted-fck-you-bitch-a

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

FuzzySkinner posted:

I put in a suggestion for her to talk/debate Liana kerzman.

The most poisonous concept i have ever come across is wokes telling other women they have internalized misogyny for disagreeing with the woke hive mind.

Byolante has issued a correction as of 05:00 on May 18, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

related to the topic at hand: a good indicator of a medium article not being worth your time is if comments aren't publicly available. here's a good example. see how far you can get into it. i stopped reading here:

quote:

Free, individualized education is not a thing we do anymore.
I know you would prefer a nice, safe sit-down with someone who would patiently walk you through all of this, but we have millions of people we need to get right and an entire system of White Supremacy to fight. We do not have the time or energy. Also — that “free labor from POC” thing is kind of how we got into this mess.
the opposite reading is true

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'll never actually understand "I'm not going to tell you poo poo, look it up yourself" mindset. You have someone there who, assumedly, wants your perspective on your struggles so as to better understand them . And if they are sincere about this, google is probably the last loving thing you should send them to because they're likely going to come across a lot of loving bullshit written by terribly racist, sexist, homophobic, and just generally bigoted people (and some will be better at hiding this than others) that is only going to gently caress things up.

Like I understand why it could be loving exhausting to go over a lot of this poo poo. Especially repeatedly. But surely someone has written or recording something that can be directly shared instead of just telling someone to gently caress off to google and hope they come across it themselves.

Oh Snapple! has issued a correction as of 06:21 on May 18, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I understand where it comes from, because a lot of lovely people ask the same lovely leading questions to activists a lot. That's what "I'm not here to educate you" is supposed to mean. It's to deflect dishonest gotcha attempts.

The trouble is that these people, for one reason or another, think everyone asking them questions are being disingenuous, even if they aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you have questions 4chan has answers

• Locked thread