Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

I think that's an impossible point of view to hold because millions upon millions of people vanished without any explanation. Everybody you know may still be there, it didn't affect your life in anyway other than "Huh did you see the news", you can mask it all you want and walk through the world with a blasé attitude, but that's still such a fundamentally loving insane thing that it would eat away at a person's psyche.

Basically any character introduced with a "who cares" attitude would eventually turn out to be a serial killer with dozens of bodies crammed in their crawlspace.

The twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

UmOk posted:

Can someone explain what the deal was with the bricks thrown through windows in season 2?

It's not clear why Nora throws the brick. Might have been for the way John treated her brother Matt. Might have been anger that the disappearance of Evie has crushed what she thought was a safe space and made her think she was the cause. Or maybe a little bit of jealousy with how Erika was handling it. Nora tends to do impulsively destructive things when under pressure.

I think Erika throwing the brick was just a gently caress you back to Nora for using her as a puppet to work out her own guilty feelings about being a "lens" with the questionnaire.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Yeah I got that Erica was doing it for payback but I thought maybe I missed something with Nora. Just crazy being crazy

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Niwrad posted:

Think of how much the country was impacted by 9/11. This was an event where close to 3,000 people died. The departure would have wiped out 7 million American instantaneously. It would be hard not to know someone who departed.

Plus the sheer mystery behind it would cause chaos in the world. This wasn't an event like 9/11 where you can say 3,000 people died because terrorists flew planes into stuff. 7 million people would have disappeared and no one knows why. It could happen again at any minute for all they know. The world would be a really hosed up place. Something I think they've shown glimpses of (drones blowing up cults) but never given us the totality.

In season 1 Kevin talked to a Fed who told him they'd send out a murder squad to take care of any trouble if he asked for it and he talked about that as if it was routine. Also lots of news reports about riots etc.

The GR was idiotic in this way. Oh no people are forgetting! But they're clearly not. Everybody is going insane and the world is hosed up.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I think in sick subconscious way maybe Nora thought moving to Miracle would make her a center of sympathetic attention again, since she would be one of the only people in a departure-less town who lost multiple people on that day. But then right away her next door neighbor's kid also "departed", which in her mind was like someone stealing her tragedy.

Bates posted:

The GR was idiotic in this way. Oh no people are forgetting! But they're clearly not. Everybody is going insane and the world is hosed up.

I think they just wanted people to admit that everything was hosed up. They knew people weren't really forgetting, but they were pretending to.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
GR wanted to troll people for attention.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yep. In the very first episode, they invade a departure memorial, which doesn't add up with their stated motive of wanting people to remember, but fits perfectly with their MO of being nihilistically adversarial and dogmatically insistent that people grieve ~correctly~.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

JethroMcB posted:

I think that's an impossible point of view to hold because millions upon millions of people vanished without any explanation. Everybody you know may still be there, it didn't affect your life in anyway other than "Huh did you see the news", you can mask it all you want and walk through the world with a blasé attitude, but that's still such a fundamentally loving insane thing that it would eat away at a person's psyche.

Basically any character introduced with a "who cares" attitude would eventually turn out to be a serial killer with dozens of bodies crammed in their crawlspace.
Departure mystery solved then? :haw:

But speaking of 9/11, we're on a website that was making fun of it on the day before the towers even fell. We'd see the absolute peak of cynicism out of more people than you think if 2% of the global population up and disappeared.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

SLOSifl posted:

Nora is a very compelling and nuanced character. I just don't know what is driving her at the moment, other than the loss of her family. Not to minimize that, but it's not a forward-looking plan. Kevin at least thinks he wants a stable family with Nora, but she doesn't seem to have similarly "normal" future wishes. It's not a criticism of the writing or anything like that.

I disagree, I think Nora thinks that getting microwaved back to her kids is a real possibility. Sure that isn't a normal future wish for us, but in her world I think it could be. How is that any crazier than her kids disappearing in the first place?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yep. In the very first episode, they invade a departure memorial, which doesn't add up with their stated motive of wanting people to remember, but fits perfectly with their MO of being nihilistically adversarial and dogmatically insistent that people grieve ~correctly~.

Yeah they didn't want people to grieve the departed, they wanted people to remember the event by not moving on with their lives.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

sticklefifer posted:

But speaking of 9/11, we're on a website that was making fun of it on the day before the towers even fell.

Lowtax knew!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pretty random episode.

I don't think you'd be flying from the US to Australia in a DHC-4 Caribou though. That was filmed at RAAF Point Cook, that one sits next to the museum on the base. Funnily enough the airbase has one of the worlds only 3 horizon tanks for making movies/tv shows, just south of the main runway, but it hasn't been used for awhile.

And the ferries between Melbourne and Tasmania is a little bit larger.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

drunkill posted:

Pretty random episode.

I don't think you'd be flying from the US to Australia in a DHC-4 Caribou though. That was filmed at RAAF Point Cook, that one sits next to the museum on the base. Funnily enough the airbase has one of the worlds only 3 horizon tanks for making movies/tv shows, just south of the main runway, but it hasn't been used for awhile.

And the ferries between Melbourne and Tasmania is a little bit larger.

Cool! Did you have any interactions with the production while they were filming? Did you try to be an extra?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
No. I just recognised the location, not many Caribous in Melbourne and the treeline in the distance are gumtrees so it probably wasn't shot in Texas.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
My immersion is ruined

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Clearly everyone on the show are actually the departed and they went to an alternate universe where gumtrees grow in Texas.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Niwrad posted:

I'm not sure what to think of this season. I felt like with only 8 episodes the stories would be much more compressed. But they've already had two standalone episodes for certain characters which are fine but think it's a waste not to use Carrie Coon.

Maybe I just need to re-watch them again. Sometimes I think there are scenes that just add nothing to story. Sometimes I think they're getting too cute with stuff. Or maybe it's that we aren't getting new characters like we did in past season (in fact we're losing compelling characters).

It'll probably all come together at the end to create a great finish but it just doesn't feel like this season has had a signature episode. Like I wouldn't put any of this season into my top 5 Leftovers episodes. Still enjoying it.
This season's not even close to as good as season 2 but these scenes that "add nothing to the story" are the story I think. Like if you look at how compressed the season is chronologically, like it's largely taking place over just a few days, and what we're seeing is the story of what all our characters are doing during these days, and how it's positioning them all into their spots for the climactic anniversary (or anti-climactic)

Niwrad posted:

Think of how much the country was impacted by 9/11. This was an event where close to 3,000 people died. The departure would have wiped out 7 million American instantaneously. It would be hard not to know someone who departed.

Plus the sheer mystery behind it would cause chaos in the world. This wasn't an event like 9/11 where you can say 3,000 people died because terrorists flew planes into stuff. 7 million people would have disappeared and no one knows why. It could happen again at any minute for all they know. The world would be a really hosed up place. Something I think they've shown glimpses of (drones blowing up cults) but never given us the totality.
The only explanations are God or aliens. I'll say aliens

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

lifts cats over head posted:

Clearly everyone on the show are actually the departed and they went to an alternate universe where gumtrees grow in Texas.

You mean sweetgum trees?

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Or human witches(/warlocks). Though I tend to doubt it, it could be dogs. Remember: canine DNA.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Author interview spoilers!

In some interview Perrotta mentioned that he was interested in what could happen if enough people wished those in the lives away or something. IIRC they played this up in Season 1 a bit. It could very well be a sci fi, latent human psychic ability thing :shrug:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it was strongly implied the people who got departed were people were being wished away. I like that take on it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kevin regretting his sudden infidelity, Laurie doubting her relationship in the early stages of pregnancy

Hell, even Jill could have wanted to win that Science Fair so bad!

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Anyone else find it surprising that almost no spoilers have leaked for this season? I remember we had a whole separate thread for LOST episodes that was spoiler discussion only. Everyone was leaking poo poo back then.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyone else find it surprising that almost no spoilers have leaked for this season? I remember we had a whole separate thread for LOST episodes that was spoiler discussion only. Everyone was leaking poo poo back then.

The critics got 7 of the 8 episodes at the beginning of the season. I have to imagine that the protection on the finale is pretty intense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HanabaL03 posted:

Lost was also significantly more popular and the drive to know "the answers" was much higher than it is with The Leftovers. It doesn't seem that surprising to me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Spoilers and spoilers masquerading as "fan theories" are everywhere now, I think only this shows relatively small audience saved it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If there is some sort of nuclear apocalypse it would be amusing that our characters are in Melbourne for the end of the world given that is the plot of the novel On The Beach and the two movies made from it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I have this sneaking suspicion that the show's going to end on a smash to black seconds before the anniversary of the departure.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I wonder if this show is going to have an animated episode or sequence.

Probably too expensive for them at this point.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Agronox posted:

I have this sneaking suspicion that the show's going to end on a smash to black seconds before the anniversary of the departure.

They've already teased us with that final scene in the first episode this season, I think *something* will happen, but that would be a great ending

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

HanabaL03 posted:

People are letting the mystery be.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Jimmy Kimmel turned Justin Theroux's car into an Emmy-Mobile and it is amazing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Yes it is.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Has he not received one for this show yet? I don't follow awards

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

UmOk posted:

Has he not received one for this show yet? I don't follow awards

I don't believe Leftovers has received a single prime time Emmy nomination to date.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

I don't believe Leftovers has received a single prime time Emmy nomination to date.

It hasn't. The biggest travesty was Ann Dowd not getting one. Her performance in season 2 was outstanding.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I know you guys a all about Dowd, but Justin T is what makes this show work for me.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

UmOk posted:

I know you guys a all about Dowd, but Justin T is what makes this show work for me.

100% my dude

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Theroux is to this show as Rami Malek is to Mr. Robot. The show wouldn't just be worse with a different actor, I'm not sure it would even work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It feels like Season 1 and 2 would have been the time for them to win them for. Justin Theroux is great but it's an 8 episode season and he hasn't appeared in two of the episodes so far.

I mean you could have gone with Ann Dowd, Carrie Coon, or Regina King (for season 2) along with Justin Theroux in earlier seasons. And how could it have not even been nominated for a writing award? Lens and International Assassin are two of the best hours of TV I've ever watched.

• Locked thread