Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hoops posted:

Metal, anime, student politics, monty python and blackadder, Jeremy Corbyn, computer games, Robot wars, Doctor Who, Star Wars expanded universe

You rang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hoops posted:

Levy on firms hiring foreign workers that goes to pay for skills training for UK nationals

So you have:

- Scummy companies bringing foreign nationals over and paying them peanuts, in this case they should do a lot more than just levy honestly, but ok, sure.
- Companies like coffee shops that pay minimum wage lol prepare for a massive national barista training program? I don't even know. Maybe it will work with factories but good luck keeping those after hard brexit.
- Companies that need highly skilled, highly experienced foreign workers to survive because jesus gently caress the supply is extremely low and they can barely even cope while hiring an enormous amount of foreign workers already, and you want to make it worse? I mean you may hate tech companies, but there's also the NHS. You can't just throw money at this problem and "skill train" some replacements, it's not how it works

Don't see this fixing anything, and even in the most optimistic of cases, they're going to pocket the money anyway, so...

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I'm shocked no one is talking about BoJo ramming his foot into his mouth repeatedly over that Sikh temple gaffe.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I've been moderately interested to see Theresa May proposing a raft of worker's rights, new types of leave etc. and other policies supposedly appealing to the working class. I wonder what the calculation was at Conservative HQ and whether they would have felt the need to do this if Labour had presented a more centrist manifesto under Cooper or whoever. Alternatively, of course, it could be a consequence of feeling bold enough to target areas they wouldn't otherwise be targeting if Labour were polling better.

Firos posted:

I'm shocked no one is talking about BoJo ramming his foot into his mouth repeatedly over that Sikh temple gaffe.

That was pretty painful to watch. He seemed completely unaware of the Sikh position on alcohol, then kept digging each time he didn't give a proper apology and completely missed the fact that she was making a wider point about religious offence: "I understand your family circumstances" and "I understand your point of view".

Party Boat posted:

For those who are interested, the Secret Barrister has done an informative post on the Oxford medical student and similarities with the Bashir assault case earlier this year: https://thesecretbarrister.com/2017...oing-to-prison/

Thanks for posting this Party Boat, mega interesting. Also good to follow the link on to the Bashir case sentencing remarks as well.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Charging firms to bring in migrant workers and re-investing the money in skills is not that bad a policy really. Shame it's coupled with charging them to use the NHS rather than relaxing draconian immigration rules elsewhere. And that it applies to non-EU workers only rather than treating everyone equally.

Means-testing the winter fuel allowance is another relatively OK policy that has the benefit of playing terribly with the right-wing press.

Taking children's lunches away pretty terrible, maybe she's just trying to channel Thatcher more completely?

Prince John posted:

I've been moderately interested to see Theresa May proposing a raft of worker's rights, new types of leave etc. and other policies supposedly appealing to the working class. I wonder what the calculation was at Conservative HQ and whether they would have felt the need to do this if Labour had presented a more centrist manifesto under Cooper or whoever. Alternatively, of course, it could be a consequence of feeling bold enough to target areas they wouldn't otherwise be targeting if Labour were polling better.

I've never felt that argument makes much sense. Labour are doing badly, so the Tories feel like they can make a pitch to tempt away Labour voters? What would they be doing if Labour were doing well, not trying to go after their voters?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Tories are aiming to take seats they wouldn't have dreamt were possible just two years ago.

They're trying to lay down new voting behaviours in the electorate in traditional labour heartlands that will last for years.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

jabby posted:

I've never felt that argument makes much sense. Labour are doing badly, so the Tories feel like they can make a pitch to tempt away Labour voters? What would they be doing if Labour were doing well, not trying to go after their voters?

Going after swing voters, aka the middle class, which is traditionally more in line with Conservative policies anyway.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Looke posted:

i just got freakin owned and apologise to Pissflaps

More elderly people will have to pay for their own social care in the home and lose universal benefits under a new Conservative policy which, Theresa May will say on Thursday, is difficult but necessary to tackle the crisis in funding.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/17/theresa-may-conservative-tory-policy-older-people-pay-for-social-care

This along with her generous offer allowing people "time off" to look after elderly relatives really lays this all out. If you're poor, you're going to be poor and have no free time :D :D :D

Expect the elderly to be left in cold houses to die off "accidentally".

MikeCrotch posted:

slugthrowers are only in the Star Wars EU and therefore haraam

you did nothing wrong

Tuskens mate! Tuskens!

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 17, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Firos posted:

As much as I want to attack him for it, I'd be a massive hypocrite because I had no idea that Sikhs didn't drink. Mind you, I'm not hanging out in Sikh Temples for political purposes.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

Going after swing voters, aka the middle class, which is traditionally more in line with Conservative policies anyway.

Traditional voting behaviour is out anyway. It's no longer divided based on class lines, it's divided based on age and to a lesser extent education.

In any case you can hardly complain about the country moving further and further to the right and then whinge if Tory policy starts to drift left.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Party Boat posted:

For those who are interested, the Secret Barrister has done an informative post on the Oxford medical student and similarities with the Bashir assault case earlier this year: https://thesecretbarrister.com/2017...oing-to-prison/

And I hope I don't have to tell any thread regulars this, but you have until 11:59 on Monday to register to vote. In most cases it takes less than five minutes to do online: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

If you don't you're the absolute worst in this thread. Yeah even worse than <poster you dislike>

Is being a middle class white woman attending Oxford the easy mode of life?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

what do you think the three most important attributes in that sentence are

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

Angepain posted:

what do you think the three most important attributes in that sentence are

middle class
Oxford
woman

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

As much as I want to attack him for it, I'd be a massive hypocrite because I had no idea that Sikhs didn't drink.
I don't think the Sikh guys I go out drinking with do either.

Okay there's one guy who doesn't drink but he smokes a lot of weed and I'm not sure what the Gurus' position on that is, I've been told they were pro-pot but I'm p. sure that's in relation to spiritual use and not pub car park use.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

MikeCrotch posted:

slugthrowers are only in the Star Wars EU and therefore haraam

you did nothing wrong

Wrong, Aurra Sing, Tusken raiders, and Czerka Corp are all confirmed canon.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's gonna be loving funny watching the right wing press try and spin middle/upper class pensioners losing their benefits and not being able to pass on their homes as a good thing.

Funnily enough Labour promised to means-test the winter fuel allowance in 2015, another Miliband policy stolen.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

middle class
Oxford
woman

So, just to clarify here, you believe a person gets enough advantages from society by being a woman to outweigh those that person would get from being white?

Is misandry more damaging to a person than racism?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Means testing for anything is a stupid policy given that we already have mechanisms for taxing income and wealth and could easily make universal benefits like school meals revenue neutral without any of the extra overhead.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I take it back - non-voters are in a dead heat with this guy for worst in the thread.

BobbyThompson
Mar 23, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

As much as I want to attack him for it, I'd be a massive hypocrite because I had no idea that Sikhs didn't drink. Mind you, I'm not hanging out in Sikh Temples for political purposes.

All of my Sikh mates get trollied to gently caress, daily.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

jabby posted:

It's gonna be loving funny watching the right wing press try and spin middle/upper class pensioners losing their benefits and not being able to pass on their homes as a good thing.

Funnily enough Labour promised to means-test the winter fuel allowance in 2015, another Miliband policy stolen.

Houses over 100K is 87% of houses in the UK. It's an attack on most people who can't afford to pay to opt out of having their home sold from under them to balance the national budget.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Prince John posted:

I've been moderately interested to see Theresa May proposing a raft of worker's rights, new types of leave etc. and other policies supposedly appealing to the working class.
Appeal to any voters who might be tempted to switch to Labour, then implement the policies such that through malice or sheer incompetence they fall to pieces. Tories know they'll never be held to account over their failures and if anybody tries they'll spin it as discrediting the entire idea of worker's rights. Then when Labour propose doing the same thing properly they'll be accused of 'not being credible' and rehashing failed Tory policies.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Angepain posted:

So, just to clarify here, you believe a person gets enough advantages from society by being a woman to outweigh those that person would get from being white?

You're talking to someone who posts 4chan poo poo unironically

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Means testing for anything is a stupid policy given that we already have mechanisms for taxing income and wealth and could easily make universal benefits like school meals revenue neutral without any of the extra overhead.

No but you see, means testing is important because I heard that those lazy bastards on benefits buy Aston Martin cars and Louis Vuitton purses! People should only get benefits as long as they're in a perpetual state of starving to death, and have no TVs, no refrigerators, no clothes, no entertainment

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Generally the rule of thumb I use is that if you wear something on your head for religious reasons you're probably not supposed to drink.

This goes for religions which don't have a technical proscription against drinking too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Angepain posted:

Well this is potentially the worst post I'll make in a while (not to defend whatever probably awful point they were making):

The reason that violence by women is treated as inconsequential (often as inconsequential as violence against women) is that it ascribes agency to the woman.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/864982110058270720

UKIP fightback

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Hoops posted:

Metal, anime, student politics, monty python and blackadder, Jeremy Corbyn, computer games, Robot wars, Doctor Who, Star Wars expanded universe

we didn't start the fire...

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Generally the rule of thumb I use is that if you wear something on your head for religious reasons you're probably not supposed to drink.

Jews are allowed to drink though, and there are some non-hatted Christians who don't.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I think you'll find that the Lib Dems are the real opposition. :smuggo:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

This goes for religions which don't have a technical proscription against drinking too.

Aptly enough the Sikh guy I know who doesn't drink is the only one who is fully beard and turban. Ton of :420: tho.

Blue Star Error posted:

we didn't start the fire...
Someone do this.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Having known firm drinkers and non-drinkers I'm pretty confident in saying that everyone who does drink shouldn't and everyone who doesn't drink should.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Meanwhile in Northern Ireland.

quote:

A DUP election candidate's false claim in promotional literature that he visited soldiers in Afghanistan has been blamed on a printing error.
An election leaflet for David Simpson claims that he "visited British troops on the frontline of Afghanistan".
The former Upper Bann MP was due to visit in 2010 but was prevented from going to the war-torn country because he was too big to fit in a flak jacket.
As a result, the Army prevented him from travelling.
A DUP spokesman said Mr Simpson had "witnessed the bravery of our soldiers in Iraq", rather than Afghanistan, and the claim on the election leaflet was due to a "printing error".

Darn those printers!! :bahgawd:

But wait, there's more!

quote:

Mr Simpson was due to be accompanied on the 2010 Afghanistan trip to visit soldiers of the Royal Irish Regiment and Irish Guards by the former Ulster Unionist peer Lord Maginnis but he was also unable to fit into an armoured jacket.
At the time, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said: "Nobody is allowed to board an aircraft to Afghanistan without correctly fitting body armour.
"The MoD provides a whole range of sizes, but regrettably none was suitable on this occasion.
"We recognise the importance of MPs visiting Afghanistan, but this trip has been postponed while we try to source sufficiently-sized body armour."

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

number one pta fan posted:

Houses over 100K is 87% of houses in the UK. It's an attack on most people who can't afford to pay to opt out of having their home sold from under them to balance the national budget.

The houses won't be sold while the owner or their partner are still living, and any kids will still inherit an estate worth at least 100k to help them get a new place for themselves. Admittedly a lot of people with money will just find a way around it, but there's nothing bad about preventing people inheriting houses.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/864982808959365120

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

jabby posted:

The houses won't be sold while the owner or their partner are still living, and any kids will still inherit an estate worth at least 100k to help them get a new place for themselves. Admittedly a lot of people with money will just find a way around it, but there's nothing bad about preventing people inheriting houses.

You will end up with people gaming the system by signing over their houses before they die so it doesn't get gobbled up by the goverment

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

You will end up with people gaming the system by signing over their houses before they die so it doesn't get gobbled up by the goverment

People already do, since they need to sell their home if they go into residential care.

At worst this will end up costing the government more as they have to foot a bigger social care bill, but it will have the advantage of removing the disincentive on older people to go into residential care because 'i'll lose my house'.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

What is "inheritance taper relief", Bob?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Not that I'm complaining, but UKIP have done literally nothing noteworthy recently.

If they have any sense they'll immediately campaign hard against the changes to winter fuel payments/the 'death tax'. Try and win back some of the angry pensioner vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jabby posted:

Not that I'm complaining, but UKIP have done literally nothing noteworthy recently.

If they have any sense they'll immediately campaign hard against the changes to winter fuel payments/the 'death tax'. Try and win back some of the angry pensioner vote.

Far age has been saying things lately

middle class
Oxford
woman

Don't post here

• Locked thread