Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Do we have any regulars to the mox boarding house? How does the store keep the grognards out? I feel like the place is so nice that I would be terrified that goons would come in and poo poo up the place. Does the staff threaten bannings hourly? Is the income level high enough these garbage human don't get a chance to come out?

They keep them out by offering more casual prize splits and being welcoming to families and younger kids. Grognards are usually spikes and thus play elsewhere, or down the hall at the wargaming tables, heh.

Honestly Seattle is spoiled for choice for LGSs. What it's really missing is larger tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They keep them out by offering more casual prize splits and being welcoming to families and younger kids. Grognards are usually spikes and thus play elsewhere, or down the hall at the wargaming tables, heh.

Honestly Seattle is spoiled for choice for LGSs. What it's really missing is larger tournaments.

Why is there no GP Seattle ?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Does WB not play Relentless dead?

I considered it, I just think Relentless dead is too weak, on top of being difficult to cast. It also doesn't do anything by being on the board, all the value comes on the death trigger, which compared to binding mummy and wayward servant, the all star zombie we are splashing for, it doesn't stand up. I played the mono black version twice on my way to 5-0 and at no point did I wish I had the other guy's deck. The sideboard games are even better, as declaration in stone is one more trump on big boards.

The decks I faced were 2x Zombie, Marvel, U/R and G/B energy.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Yeah, we are extremely spoiled. It's seriously the greatest. No dusty old Kenner Star Trek action figures hanging on the wall, no neckbeards crowding the register, no faded posters over the windows, $8,000 wargaming tables and 8 beer taps.

When I was in Seattle I made a special trip to go check them out and the hype lived up. My LGS is pretty rad but I have to walk across the street to go get a drink which is definitely a detractor.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I loved playing Sligh during Khans standard at Mox because it meant my matches were over in 7 minutes and I could hang out in the bar until new pairings went up

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

80s James Hetfield posted:

I watched a couple of guys play "Mental Magic" 2 weeks ago. It was probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen beside EDH
Mental Magic is actually amazing, but you need a nearly encyclopedic Magic knowledge to not suck at it.

I love it.

Mezzanon posted:

Why is there no GP Seattle ?
Because it's always in loving Tacoma.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Siivola posted:

That seems like a... Good development?

This was an excellent joke and it was impressive how many people got whooshed by it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Some Numbers posted:

Mental Magic is actually amazing, but you need a nearly encyclopedic Magic knowledge to not suck at it.

I love it.

Hence:

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

and you are a scrub for not liking it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

It sounds like they're like the FFL but for design instead of development. i.e. They would look at cards and say mechanics and say "hey maybe printing these extremely powerful, colorless artifacts that attack and are immune to sorcery speed removal is bad and we should do something else." or "let's not print another cost reducing mechanic because we've had about 200 broken cards with a cost reduction mechanic and exactly 4 that aren't broken."

It seems like they made a group whose goal is to actually make the "best deck" in the format every time instead of the FFL who spend alot of time playing with niche cards to see if people could make a deck out of them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I loved playing Sligh during Khans standard at Mox because it meant my matches were over in 7 minutes and I could hang out in the bar until new pairings went up

This is also why I always play aggro decks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cactrot posted:

This is also why I always play aggro decks.

I have a Pauper-ish hardon for any kind of value card and am prone to drafting limited decks that take forever to play and leave me hating my life at around the 30 minute mark.

Ask me about the time I drafted the dream UG investigate durdle deck in SoI whose only win condition was Startled Awake.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 17, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Do we have any regulars to the mox boarding house? How does the store keep the grognards out? I feel like the place is so nice that I would be terrified that goons would come in and poo poo up the place. Does the staff threaten bannings hourly? Is the income level high enough these garbage human don't get a chance to come out?

Also, the staff at both locations are good people (not shitlords) and the people they have running their events and judging them are fair and know what they're doing. Biggest thing I miss about going to those stores were that the people running the events are exclusively running the events and have the tools (functional computer with WER running on it) needed to do so available to them - they aren't also trying to sell comics / miniatures / other poo poo to people at the same time and the computer running the event isn't also being used as the only point of sale system in the store.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Drunk-drafted this deck last night after P1P1 Gideon and felt preeeeetty good about it. I'm currently 2-0; 4-0 in games.

E: 3-0'd with one game loss. Deck was super fun to play. The one game I lost I flooded out with just one color for a little too long.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 18, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Turns out magic story is better when the main character of the chapter isn't a planeswalker

also Nicol Bolas is about to be back maybe

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Marketing New Brain posted:

My 5-0 Zombies deck got posted as one of the 8 5-0 decks. Anyone trying to jump into standard, you can't go wrong with BW zombies.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/competitive-standard-league-2017-05-17#online

The deck is dirt cheap if you already have Gideons or just choose to not play him in the board. The list I had was playing 2 metallic mimc and 2 binding mummy because I had never played the deck before and was curious which was better. Binding mummy no question, I'd go up to 3 and the fourth Liliana's Mastery maindeck. Scrapheap Scrounger is a garbage card and the decks it is good against all play magma spray anyhow, and exiling your own creatures is bad because it makes your colossus smaller. I think you want 3 Gideon in the sideboard, and the fourth transgress.

The deck is mostly about figuring out of you are drawing cards with cryptbreaker or beating down. Game one wasn't bad, especially when you win the roll, but I honestly felt like I was always favored after board.

Would you say having 4 Binding Mummy's and 3 Wayward Servant's is fine or were you finding yourself always wanting Servant out first?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Elyv posted:

Turns out magic story is better when the main character of the chapter isn't a planeswalker

also Nicol Bolas is about to be back maybe

Nicol Bolas...I haven't heard that name in years

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Some people understand how MTG Cardsmith works.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Necronomicon posted:

Ugh. We don't have poo poo in Boston. My LGS is super friendly but it's miniscule and there's no AC in the summer. And pandemonium always smells like fungus and unwashed nerds

Yeah, I stopped playing after I moved here because I couldn't breathe in pandemonium.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Would you say having 4 Binding Mummy's and 3 Wayward Servant's is fine or were you finding yourself always wanting Servant out first?

I would play 8 Wayward Servant, it is that good, and gets better in multiples. 4 and never sideboard any of them in any matchup, it's that good.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Gray Merchant of Asphodel seems OP as gently caress. Cast two in a turn, win the game. Cool?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Gray Merchant of Asphodel seems OP as gently caress. Cast two in a turn, win the game. Cool?

Grey Merchant was a good card, especially in Draft..... but 2 isn't auto win. Devotion doesn't count swamps, only specifically B mana-symbols in mana costs. so on an empty board the first does 2, and the second does 4.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Advice for this throwback standard gauntlet: try to roll one of the decks that kills on turn two instead of the one that plays five mana 3/3s.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/clickhole/status/864994016059895809

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Much like all things magic, this is cool and good

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

God damnit

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dehtraen posted:

Im afraid I don't understand

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm in Montreal for the GP at the weekend with BG Delirium/Constrictor, but I'm really tempted to switch to BW Zombies. There's a few stores here, but the biggest, Face to Face, doesn't have Dread Wanderer or Liliana's Mastery showing as available. If I really want to so this, given I have stuff to trade into it including a foil Torrential Gearhulk, is it likely I could get it together for Friday's qualifier? Might be too early for vendors at the venue.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

is there a picture of all the planeswalkers together, maybe comparing heights?

as a greek man myself, ive imagined gideon as a 5'6 fiery Mediterranean islander. for some reason, im convinced ajani is seven feet tall too.

i dont know why i was thinking about this. i want garruk to come back and kill someone already

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Im afraid I don't understand

It was posted in the wrong thread but I am going go ahead and say that Ben Carson probably plays magic... right?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Guys, the cancer is spreading. I got Marveled playing Modern on XMage. How long before this bad deck spreads to another format and another and... there's not a ton of formats.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MUST THINK OF PYRAMID GRAIN JOKE SOON POST PLACEHOLDER

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

SoftNum posted:

Grey Merchant was a good card, especially in Draft..... but 2 isn't auto win. Devotion doesn't count swamps, only specifically B mana-symbols in mana costs. so on an empty board the first does 2, and the second does 4.

Each one did 16 to me. The next game I lost 113 to 0. I think nostalgia will keep me in Legacy for another day or two before I retreat to limited.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Each one did 16 to me. The next game I lost 113 to 0. I think nostalgia will keep me in Legacy for another day or two before I retreat to limited.

That's, uh, not a card in legacy. Gray Merchant I mean.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

I want to meet the person casting Gray Merchant in Legacy. They were probably stoked that they actually won a game.

Tainen posted:

It was posted in the wrong thread but I am going go ahead and say that Ben Carson probably plays magic... right?

***Dr. Ben Carson

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Foma posted:

Maybe I've been zombified, but I didn't even think this touched on any complex or any obscure business terms. Goals, metrics, evaluations. Those are all basic High School concepts in my mind.

no high schooler gives a poo poo about metrics, but the more prudent problem is that the statement itself is meaningless and of no value

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

That's, uh, not a card in legacy. Gray Merchant I mean.

I don't know what to tell you. I have played two single games against different opponents in MTGO and both were Legacy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I don't know what to tell you. I have played two single games against different opponents in MTGO and both were Legacy.

Are you playing on MTGO? You run into some really weird things in the for fun rooms. I played against a Leyline of Singularity deck once. It was really bad.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Before I played the league with zombies I tried a few practice matches in the tournament practice room, just to see some hands since I had never played it at all. My first game someone plays a sacred cat T1 into Anointer Priest T2. I just concede the match immediately assuming it was someone wasting my time, but it turns out that's actually a real deck, technically, https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/645193#online

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I want to see and play that terrible Legacy Black Devotion deck so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Guys, the cancer is spreading. I got Marveled playing Modern on XMage. How long before this bad deck spreads to another format and another and... there's not a ton of formats.

EVERY FNM I SHOW UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A CARD ONTO THE BATTLEFIELD. ITS AETHERWORKS MARVEL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TAPPING THE CARD WITH MY FREE RESOURCE, ENERGY. I LOOK AT THE TOP 6 CARDS AND I SLAM ULAMOG HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN AN AUTOMATIC 2-FOR-1 THAT WILL WIN ME THE GAME IN 2 TURNS OR EVEN A VALUE CARD WHEN I MESS UP AND MISS. MANY CAN SAY THEY CHEATED OUT THE FORMAT'S MOST DANGEROUS ELDRAZI. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY LGS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN LGSS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HITS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY DECK LESS BORING BY PLAYING EM ALL. 4 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY FRIday