Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

There was a lot of those types last offseason, which was weird considering a lot of them didn't go to the Cavs outside of the Deron Williams buyout.

Like, is there something that players don't like about Lebron? When the Rockets can get Nene for nothing but the Cavs got so talent depleted that Lebron literally said "We need some loving playmakers," it's very confusing.

I think people underestimate role. Nene would go to Houston and be a critical big for them. In Cleveland he'd be their 3rd big, 4th when Lebron is playing PF. I assume Nene wasn't ring chasing, but wanted to go somewhere where he can showcase for another, bigger contract.

Plus Nene was signed with the room exception, so he still got more money than he would have taking a vet minimum from Cleveland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The best guys to defend Lebron are Lebron sized guys who are strong. They the passing lanes and force him to try and break them down or shoot his jumper, depending what they want from him. Historically, a Lebron sized man is the man who's been able to hold his own and let help come in due time rather than in a constant confused scramble. They didn't have someone Jaylen Brown's length or with his agility last year, but Lebron is a basketball genius so he'll bait him into everything.

Jae Crowder's arms are quite a bit shorter than Brown's and he's not nearly as agile. But Jaylen Brown is a rookie

I'd go with Crowder because he's strong and big like that. Bang with LeBron, just don't make him angry.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think Crowder will mostly be defending Lebron, but when it's not working and they bring in Jaylen we get to watch someone's career get ripped to shreds and Lebron scores 13 points in a row.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No mention of Marcus Smart defending Lebron? I thought he would be the strongest of the three in defending him in the post, which is where Lebron gets a lot of his work done against small line-ups.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Thomas will guard LeBron because he will remind LeBron of his son thus calming the beast

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

No mention of Marcus Smart defending Lebron? I thought he would be the strongest of the three in defending him in the post, which is where Lebron gets a lot of his work done against small line-ups.

He'd be giving up 4 inches in height and another 4 inches in Wingspan. Lebron could pass over his head all day.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Obviously it's gotta be Kelly Olynyk

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

chunkles posted:

Obviously it's gotta be Kelly Olynyk

only because of the restraining order Love got

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

I think people underestimate role. Nene would go to Houston and be a critical big for them. In Cleveland he'd be their 3rd big, 4th when Lebron is playing PF. I assume Nene wasn't ring chasing, but wanted to go somewhere where he can showcase for another, bigger contract.

Plus Nene was signed with the room exception, so he still got more money than he would have taking a vet minimum from Cleveland.

Even ring chasers want to do something on the team. They see themselves as Ray on the Heat or Payton on the 2006 Heat, nobody wants to end up like McGrady on the Spurs

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The main problem with old ring chasing vets is that they historically get worn down and hurt by the end of the season. So you have to keep them in cryostorage and take losses or play your stars more minutes.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I'd go with Crowder because he's strong and big like that. Bang with LeBron, just don't make him angry.

Lebron has historically made mincemeat out of Crowder, he does his superstar legal forearm shivers and makes his way to the rim without much problem, gets to his hub spots and makes easy passes to open shooters.

Tae posted:

As Lockback said, he's much smaller, the edge smart offers is his strength if he gets caught in a switch and Lebron tries to score via post up, Smart can hold him up. Otherwise they're bettter served with Smart whacking Kyrie so he doesn't murder them with threes. I hope they don't try too much Avery Bradley on Kyrie because Kyrie will eat him alive. But if Brown is in the game, they might feel the need for Bradley to be in the game, for his shooting. Brown/Smart at once would let Cleveland crowd the paint.

Amir Johnson needs some lubricant in his ankles so that they have a backup 5 who plays effective defense. It's the only way to try and tamp down the three point barrage.

The Celtics have a ton of pieces to play with but I don't see any combination that stops the Cavs offense. They relaly need to score a lot. Celtics coaching staff are probably mentally exhausted from imagining ways to slow the Cavs and score enough points to keep up.

I'm guessing that the Cavs are just going to guard IT with any shooting guard and stick to three point shooters, and assume that they'll make more points in the end

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 18, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The ring chasing minimum deals are kind of a problem because capped out teams shouldn't be allowed to continue getting rich just because they are already rich. They can fix it by doing 2 things

1) During the trade deadline, when a player is waived they go on the waiver wire but since they usually make a ton of money, the teams with space generally have no need for them and the teams that need them have no space. So after they clear the waiver wire, put them on an second round where teams can bid remaining cap space on the player, with the player going to the highest bidder (similar to the Amnesty waiver wire). If they clear that, then have a third round where teams can sign the player for a minimum deal, with priority set inversely to record. After that then they can become a free agent.

2) During the off-seasons, players can only sign for the minimum with teams over the cap during a designated period later in the summer, with priority set inversely to the amount of money a team is over the cap.

Trades and cap exceptions will still work as normal. You could argue it artificially restricts player movement, but these teams are over the cap anyway and have an unfair advantage over teams that have a need and aren't over the cap

Super capped out teams should also get some kind of draft pick hit. Like if you're in the super, super repeater range then your picks get knocked back to the end of the first round and/or you lose a second rounder or something.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 18, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

The ring chasing minimum deals are kind of a problem because capped out teams shouldn't be allowed to continue getting rich just because they are already rich. They can fix it by doing 2 things

1) During the trade deadline, when a player is waived they go on the waiver wire but since they usually make a ton of money, the teams with space generally have no need for them and the teams that need them have no space. So after they clear the waiver wire, put them on an second round where teams can bid remaining cap space on the player, with the player going to the highest bidder (similar to the Amnesty waiver wire). If they clear that, then have a third round where teams can sign the player for a minimum deal, with priority set inversely to record. After that then they can become a free agent.

2) During the off-seasons, players can only sign for the minimum with teams over the cap during a designated period later in the summer, with priority set inversely to the amount of money a team is over the cap.

Trades and cap exceptions will still work as normal. You could argue it artificially restricts player movement, but these teams are over the cap anyway and have an unfair advantage over teams that have a need and aren't over the cap

I think #1 would make buyouts not happen anymore for players who can actually play, but this is probably the side effect your looking for.

I like the idea in #2 of the "over the cap signing" being delayed. That's actually a really good idea. I don't like the idea of setting priority since I don't think you should, or even could, force FA to sign to certain teams. Free Agents aren't covered by the CBA so they should be able to sign with whatever team they want.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

I think #1 would make buyouts not happen anymore for players who can actually play, but this is probably the side effect your looking for.

I like the idea in #2 of the "over the cap signing" being delayed. That's actually a really good idea. I don't like the idea of setting priority since I don't think you should, or even could, force FA to sign to certain teams. Free Agents aren't covered by the CBA so they should be able to sign with whatever team they want.

They can sign with whoever they want, provided the team has room to actually sign the player. If a team is capped out, then the amount of exceptions they get to that should be minimized. Minimum deals are an artificial loophole anyway that mostly benefit ring chasing vets and the top teams.

Hell, if a team is capped out and needs to fill out a roster of 12 guys, make D-League call-ups the only players they can sign for the minimum. The players union will never let that happen though.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

This would make a good long av for someone

mods please make this my avatar thanks and g*d bless

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

What the gently caress is this set design, it's nearly as poo poo as LaVar's personality

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

kalensc posted:

What the gently caress is this set design, it's nearly as poo poo as LaVar's personality

They took an Andy Kaufman bit and made it literal

https://youtu.be/Enf3zyziKQM

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CavalyticsNBA/status/864944802302906369

hmm

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hard to believe theres ever been anyone in the conference finals worse than the raptors last year but i guess srs doesnt account for demar derozan and kyle lowry being kidnapped and replaced by d league doppelgangers every playoffs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WhyteRyce posted:

They can sign with whoever they want, provided the team has room to actually sign the player. If a team is capped out, then the amount of exceptions they get to that should be minimized. Minimum deals are an artificial loophole anyway that mostly benefit ring chasing vets and the top teams.

Hell, if a team is capped out and needs to fill out a roster of 12 guys, make D-League call-ups the only players they can sign for the minimum. The players union will never let that happen though.

Honestly it might not be too terrible to just eliminate the exceptions altogether. If you're capped out on stars, you're stuck with minimum contracts and bird rights guys, period.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I'm in Australia. Does anyone know where I can get a radio stream of this game? The ESPN radio link is dog poo poo and doesn't even play the correct game.

edit: This seems to work - http://tunein.com/radio/Game-1-Cleveland-Cavaliers-at-Boston-Celtics-May-17-2017-p1000263/

Is this files :filez:? Seems legit enough.

Cloud the Cat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 18, 2017

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Metapod posted:

Thomas will guard LeBron because he will remind LeBron of his son thus calming the beast

Well he picked his pocket, maybe you're onto something!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

Honestly it might not be too terrible to just eliminate the exceptions altogether. If you're capped out on stars, you're stuck with minimum contracts and bird rights guys, period.

Yeah I'd be fine with that as long as draft picks and D-League call ups were the only loop hole but that's pretty extreme. I was just going for something that would give more teeth to the repeater penalty.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Cavs in 3

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Metapod posted:

i think the kid's taller

Big Bimbo Brand

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Orlando will always be his only loss :devil:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

:negative:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not getting a chance to avenge it either, sucker

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

It's the only series I'm actually mad about losing stop owning me!!!!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

thats a sick catchphrase

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/world_wide_wob/status/865008784539766784

LeBron going out of his way to humiliate dudes this postseason has been fun

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I mean the 2009 cavs would not have won the championship anyway.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

I mean the 2009 cavs would not have won the championship anyway.
They had a really good chance to.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

I admire Lebron as much as the next guy but you better believe I had the biggest :smugdog: on my face when Orlando completely ruined his season that year.

A shame they couldn't do the same to the Lakers :smith:

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/world_wide_wob/status/865008784539766784

LeBron going out of his way to humiliate dudes this postseason has been fun

Don't tempt fate Lebron!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i wish people would shut up about 12-0 and stuff like, cmon

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can we just play Cavs-Warriors The Third already

Lol Boston

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I don't think superteams forming is really that big of a deal. Kevin Durant is generational bitchmade. We aren't going to see someone like him for a long time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So why should we be telling 35+ year old vets they should be playing on rebuilding teams again instead of joining a contender? Does this improve the game of basketball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

By SRS, the Cavs are even worse. It really kind of bothers me that how badly they played this season doesn't matter at all.

• Locked thread