Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

quote:

In talks with Netflix we all felt that that stories about a narcissistic, erratically behaving family in the building business — and their desperate abuses of power — are really underrepresented on TV these days,” creator Mitch Hurwitz says in a statement.

So very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

arrested development is back for season 5 in 2018, hey guys stop running away i'm not kidding this time

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/864850631470850048
This is going to be a bigger bomb than Marco Polo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

I think they said somewhere that half the season is going to focus on them as younger characters, as a way of having all the characters together, and not worry about getting all the cast together.

Yeah, Hurwitz said that was the plan last year. I'm not really keen on that, because the cast chemistry is the reason the show works in the first place.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Davros1 posted:

I think they said somewhere that half the season is going to focus on them as younger characters, as a way of having all the characters together, and not worry about getting all the cast together.

Well that's lame. Expectations readjusted.

Seriously why can't Netflix pony up enough cash to make this worth the cast's time?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nail Rat posted:

The promo seems to suggest that this will be a more traditional season, i.e. all characters going through episodes together instead of a bunch of disjointed narratives. I feel like that's what made season 4 not work that well, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I don't know why showrunners of ensemble cast shows think split narratives are a good idea, they all seem to try it and it never works.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I really want to know what the status is of the "AD Season 4 recut to be more like normal episodes" project. I remember at least a year ago Ron Howard tweeted out a picture of him in the studio recording new narration for this project, but I haven't heard anything since.

I guess they'll probably release it a month or two before season 5 starts in order to start the hype machine?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Josh Lyman posted:

This is going to be a bigger bomb than Marco Polo.

Did the guy tweeting that really not get the joke?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy fuckin poo poo, I'm on ep 7 of Dear White People, which is Gabe's episode, and the way that his imagination is styled like different films is hilarious.

In terrible show news, I'm 4 eps into 13 Reasons Why and it's very bad. I dislike almost everything about it. Both the story that's being told, and the narrative choices of the way its being told, and also the characters. I will probably stop watching it soon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nail Rat posted:

The promo seems to suggest that this will be a more traditional season, i.e. all characters going through episodes together instead of a bunch of disjointed narratives. I feel like that's what made season 4 not work that well, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

https://twitter.com/arresteddev/sta...ix-announced%2F

Well, I've seen Season 4 twice and remember almost nothing about it so the idea of a fifth season kind of makes me sad about a once great show starting to cross the line of having more bad episodes than good. But I guess if they have the cast back together I'll give it a chance to recapture some of that chemistry magic that made it so grea...

Davros1 posted:

Oh, I'm sad again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nail Rat posted:

Seriously why can't Netflix pony up enough cash to make this worth the cast's time?

Probably because almost everyone is really, really busy. Bateman's got like three things going on right now, Tambor is doing Transparent, Walter is doing Archer (and those recording sessions apparently take a long time due to heavy improv), Cera's got a few movies, Hale's on Veep, Arnett always has something happening and I think Alia Shawkat is still starring on Search Party. Pretty much the only cast members who aren't occupied, as far as I know, are de Rossi and Cross.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Timby posted:

Probably because almost everyone is really, really busy. Bateman's got like three things going on right now, Tambor is doing Transparent, Walter is doing Archer (and those recording sessions apparently take a long time due to heavy improv), Cera's got a few movies, Hale's on Veep, Arnett always has something happening and I think Alia Shawkat is still starring on Search Party. Pretty much the only cast members who aren't occupied, as far as I know, are de Rossi and Cross.

Isn't Portia de Rossi on Scandal?

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

Open Source Idiom posted:

Isn't Portia de Rossi on Scandal?

Current Scandal season spoiler
She died.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bull3964 posted:

Did the guy tweeting that really not get the joke?

If there's one thing I want more of in modern comedy it's "pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" political commentary.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

New Star Wars Trek screenshot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

When is that coming out anyway?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

IRQ posted:

When is that coming out anyway?

Spring 2017

Fall 2017

Spring 2018?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They just upped the episode order from 13 - 15 and added a companion talk show, but haven't told us if Chris Hardwick will host it yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

They just upped the episode order from 13 - 15 and added a companion talk show, but haven't told us if Chris Hardwick will host it yet.

If they don't call it "Star Talk" they have already failed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

precision posted:

If they don't call it "Star Talk" they have already failed
Neil de Grasse Tyson hosts a podcast with that name whose owner may be upset.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Do people actually watch all these dumb Talking FART shows?

Does Chris Hardwick have a Tardis that allows him to do 700,000 Talking WHATEVERs every day for Trump voters and insomniacs to watch?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hey now.

That's unfair to Trump voters :v:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nail Rat posted:

Well that's lame. Expectations readjusted.

Well even the youngest characters have to be like 30+ years old now so what kind of stories do you even write around that now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Adult Swim has also announced a new series by Vernon Chatman. Which, you know, awesome.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

At last, an actual trailer that proves Star Trek Discovery isn't an elaborate CBS Ponzi scheme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It looks just awful.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

It looks just awful.
Agreed. Star Trek is dead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm predisposed to hate Star Trek anyway, but it's hilarious that the Seth Macfarlane Star Trek spoof looks way higher budget than that crap.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

It looks just awful.

The trailer gave me the vibe that they're aiming for a TNG/DS9 tone. I didn't really care for either of those shows, though my parents watched them and I ended up seeing a fair number of episodes of each. There were definitely some diamonds in all that rough, though.

Problem is the trailer seemed to think the best way to emulate those shows is "be boring" rather than "hire John de Lancy or his equivalent".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Speaking of, John de Lancie is actually going to be at the Phoenix Comicon next weekend. I'll see if I can't get his opinion on it (if he even has one to begin with).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trek is indeed dead.

I like everything about Seth's show except the name.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What is this a prequel of, the movies or the TV shows?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Both. The movies are canon because it's an alternate timeline.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mu Zeta posted:

Both. The movies are canon because it's an alternate timeline.

The point of divergence in the timelines is earlier than when this show is set, though. Earlier in development it was claimed that this was set in the original timeline and not the new-movie timeline, but it basically looks exactly like the new movies. So in my estimation the answer is that they don't care what "canon" anything is and will play fast and loose.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't remotely matter. Trek's canon has never held up to any amount of scrutiny. Nerd attempts to fill in things to have it make sense are exactly as embarrassing as you would expect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching last night's iZombie and I literally just started waving my arms around yelling when Roger Cross showed up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really wish that there was a cw app on ps4. The 360 app is so bad that I just stopped watching cw shows.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Watching last night's iZombie and I literally just started waving my arms around yelling when Roger Cross showed up.

It's actually a law in Canada that if there's a TV show in production there, Roger Cross is required to be in it.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 18, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Canadian studios have a Uber style app for Roger Cross called "Roger, Roger"

He appears 20 mins later in costume, lines sorted, ready to shoot.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

I like everything about Seth's show except the name.

Here's that trailer in case you guys haven't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

I was actually just talking about this with my brother, and I think what keeps me from writing this off is that MacFarlane seems to be doing a genuine comic riff on Trek as opposed to the ironic sendup that A Million Ways To Die In the West was. When you get down to actual storytelling, the dude can hit his marks when he tries. He gets in trouble when he gets too caught up in trying to be too cool for school; in small doses, that gets you stuff like the brilliant Norah Jones scene in Ted. When he ODs on it, the result is, well, A Million Ways to Die and Ted 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the case here, but with MacFarlane being a huge Trekkie, I think the material's gonna keep his ironic side in check. On top of that...I mean, he's directed three fairly big-budget, effects-heavy films. Even if the ladt two bombed, Fox wouldn't have said "no" to him directing his own pilot script. The fact that Jon Favreau directed it is a good sign that this isn't going to be another circle-jerk with Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild.

Not saying it won't be, of course, just that it's a sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How many episodes until it's just McFarlane in the Ten Forward analogue doing his unironic lounge lizard routine?

• Locked thread